Never heard of that one before.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2024 9:47PM

@Steven59 said:
    "Juwanna Mann"
    Never heard of that one before.

It’s actually a funny movie where a guy gets kicked out or suspended from the men’s league so he dresses up like a woman to sign with a woman’s league team. Pretty funny overall and when I got those images there was mention of a sequel in the works. that movie was from 2002.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Jordan Clarkson had a trip-dub last night

he was the first Jazz player to do so in the regular season since 2008 when Carlos Boozer pulled it off

that just blows my mind

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1lakK3sC4A/?fbclid=IwAR2_rAt_m2MRFQfF71_fYCTdTsgFTgFL4My_nP-zYCgRGsESLNE-HfzBu4M

• Options

Crazy finish in the Nuggets/Dubs game with joker hitting a 39ft three for the win. Denver was down 18pts with 6:51 to go and finished the game on a 25-4 run.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njYOgS6IWA8&list=TLPQMDUwMTIwMjTofqFIHjsKxg&index=4

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2024 7:48AM

The Warriors this year are in turmoil. Kerr is losing control of the locker room. The older players are seeing their skills and abilities erode. The younger players who show great promise do not see the playing time at the end of the game they deserve.

I expect there will be roster changes and maybe even a coaching change this year.

• Options

I just saw that Kuminga & Moody both came out publicly that they're unhappy with their roles and I think Kuminga's case he has a legit complaint. For December he averaged 14/6 w/34% from three in 24mpg with really good athleticism on defense. He should either be starting or getting 6th man minutes. Both he & Moody seem to be losing some of their minutes to rookies Trayce Jackson-Davis & Brandin Podziemski,who have both looked great so far.

GS could get back a pretty decent return for Kuminga,Moody & CP3. Something like those three to Detroit for Bojan Bogdanovic,Alec Burks & Monte Morris + a lightly protected 1st. That pick coming from the Pistons would be a huge trade asset in the very near future and salarywise there'd only be a difference of 440K going to Detroit.
    GS gets back a bunch of proven vets to help win now and Detroit gets CP3's expiring 30M and two young players that fit the Pistons timeline. Chris Paul is signed for next year too at 30M but not guaranteed so they could bring him back if they want or just let him play out half a season teaching that young roster on how to be professionals.

GS could make that same offer and go after an All Star level player too but they would likely need to include picks.

What their really big issues are, what do they do with Klay & Draymond? Klay's heading into free agency and will expect a decent sized extension and Green has 3 more years at 24-27M and is coming off his hiatus for going coo coo very soon.
    Staying loyal to these two while riding off into the sunset is likely to prolong their fall from grace.

The 80's Celtics learned the hard way that staying loyal ended up hurting their team in the long run (21yrs between Finals appearences,) something that Danny Ainge learned from when he traded Pierce & KG away for picks that eventually ended up being turning into Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown. I admit in GS's case its a much tougher decision when we're talking about a big three of Steph/Klay/Green that won 4 chips compared to KG/Pierce winning just 1.

GS's ownership & front office definitely have some tough decisions to make this summer.

• Options

After watching that Jokic game winner above it got me thinking if given a choice to choose either player in their prime,who would you go with? Curry or Joker?
    Arguably the best shooter of all time (sorry Show for not going with Legend) OR the best passing big of all time? (again, sorry Show for not going with Legend 😉)
    Its a tough call and you wouldn't go wrong with whoever goes 2nd.

I'd probably go with Joker because had you paired him with Klay & Draymond in their prime I think that trio wins just as many rings as the original GS trio. While I do think that Steph,Murray & Porter Jr would make an incredible Splash Bros trio, I'm not sure that that Nuggets roster with Curry are the same caliber of championship contender that they are with Joker.

• Options

Any deal involving Chris Paul just got more complicated after he fractured is hand last night and will have surgery next week. Reports are that he should make it back later this season.

Technically he could still be viewed as a 30M expiring salary though regardless of playing again this year which is still pretty valuable.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like Paul get hurt every year lately.......

• Options

Boston gives up 74 in the second half in defeat even with Brown's 40 point performance.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Boston gives up 74 in the second half in defeat even with Brown's 40 point performance.

They also got screwed by the refs at the end. Tie game with very little time on the clock and Jaylen Brown drives between two defenders to take a 12 ft jumper along the rightside baseline and the defender behind him smacks the back of his head going for the block. Refs call the foul,indy's coach challenges the play and wins even though that hit to the head was clear as day.

I'm not too worried about Boston giving up that many points to indiana when the Pacers are on pace to break the record for highest PPG by a team and also the highest Offensive Rating ever. Any team playing them is in for a high scoring game.
    That all being said,their best player,Tyrese Haliburton, did a literal split in the paint and had to be carried into the locker room, it didn't look good.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

Tyrese Haliburton, did a literal split in the paint and had to be carried into the locker room, it didn't look good.

Ohhhhhhh :o - talk about stretching out - turns out to be a strained hamstring (so far).

• Options

Boston sets a new franchise record with the most wins at home to start a season by going 18-0. They still have a long way to go to match Larry's '85 team that finished 40-1 at home;

• Options

Boston loses by 33 to the Bucks and Portland loses by 62 to OKC tonight. Last night GS lost to New Orleans by 36.

Blow out city. :o

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Boston loses by 33 to the Bucks and Portland loses by 62 to OKC tonight. Last night GS lost to New Orleans by 36.

Blow out city. :o

I thought my phone had a glitch when I saw those scores. Where's the unwritten rule you don't run up the score like football has? :D

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Cavs beat the Bucks tonight by 40 - but no Giannis for Milwaukee. Georges Niang for the Cavs hit 13 of 14 from the floor only missing a 3 pointer - scoring 33. Georges Niang..... WHO?

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2024 8:06PM

embiid scores 70 points against the Spurs. Wemby with 33.
    Question for the NBA experts…. Is Joel the best 7 footer as far as free throw shooting? I remember Shaq and Wilt being terrible at free throws, and only a couple days ago I was looking at Joel’s stats and noticed he was over 80%.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:

. Is Joel the best 7 footer as far as free throw shooting? I remember Shaq and Wilt being terrible at free throws, and only a couple days ago I was looking at Joel’s stats and noticed he was over 80%.

He was 21 of 23 tonight for 91% free throw shooting.

• Options

Cavaliers win again tonight for their 8th straight W, 126 to 99 over Orlando. Sam Merrill (Who?) dropped in 26.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2024 3:28PM

Not that it matters but the Cavs Tristan Thompson just got suspended 25 games for violating the league's drug policy. Both drugs found in his system are considered to be performance enhancers ... ones that help users improve their strength and speed up their recovery.
    What a dumbass, maybe he mistakenly took Khloe's birth control pills.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bucks fire their first year coach. He was only 30-13 so far this season

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

I thought I heard today that Doc Rivers is going to be their new coach.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Cavs beat the Bucks tonight by 40 - but no Giannis for Milwaukee. Georges Niang for the Cavs hit 13 of 14 from the floor only missing a 3 pointer - scoring 33. Georges Niang..... WHO?

That's the Minivan, the pride of Methuen,MA, my birthplace as well as his.

@Darin said:
    embiid scores 70 points against the Spurs. Wemby with 33.
    Question for the NBA experts…. Is Joel the best 7 footer as far as free throw shooting? I remember Shaq and Wilt being terrible at free throws, and only a couple days ago I was looking at Joel’s stats and noticed he was over 80%.

Embiid's career FT% of 82% is up there with some of the best bigs ever like...
    Kevin Durant 88%
    Dirk Nowitzki 87%
    Jack SIkma 84%
    Mike Gminski 84%
    Karl Anthony Towns 83%
    Bill Laimbeer 83%
    Yao Ming 83%
    Nikola Jokic 82%
    Joel Embiid 82%
    Kristaps Porzingis 82%

Those players are all 6-11 or taller.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Not that it matters but the Cavs Tristan Thompson just got suspended 25 games for violating the league's drug policy. Both drugs found in his system are considered to be performance enhancers ... ones that help users improve their strength and speed up their recovery.
    What a dumbass, maybe he mistakenly took Khloe's birth control pills.

TT looked like his career was all done during that season in Boston in 2020-21 when he could barely make any plays above the rim. He had no lift at all in his legs and he was just 29yrs old at the time. I'm surprised that he got caught withwhatever he's been taking,it seems like it would have been safer to just do it during the offseason.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2024 9:05PM

Luka to Embiid: i see your 70 and raise you 3

edit: and Booker had 62. and 4 nights ago KAT had 62.

defense is nonexistent in today's NBA

• Options

Talk about the "Big 3" tonight in the Cavs win over the Spurs
    Mobley: 28 points - 10 rebounds
    Jarrett: 26 points - 16 rebounds
    Mitchell: 31 points - 8 rebounds

• Options

Knicks did not score during 4th period for over 7 minutes.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Knicks did not score during 4th period for over 7 minutes.

I watched that game - pretty good win for the Lakers. Plus it made Stephen A Smith eat all of his pregame and halftime words! :D

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Talk about the "Big 3" tonight in the Cavs win over the Spurs
    Mobley: 28 points - 10 rebounds
    Jarrett: 26 points - 16 rebounds
    Mitchell: 31 points - 8 rebounds

What's going on down in Cleveland? They've won 14 out of their last 15 games and are 19-4 over their last 23. Their recent run saw the Cavs climb all the way into the #2 seed.
    The Knicks have been on fire too lately going 15-3 over their last 18 games. Between Milwaukee trying to find their defense again and Philly likely to drop in the standings due to Embiid missing time to injury,the Cavs & Knicks have a chance to gain some serious ground in the standings.

With lots of head to head matchups still left on the schedule, its looking like the path to the ECF/Finals will be much tougher than previous years.
    Boston: Philly, Cleveland, NYK 2x, Milwaukee 2x
    Cleveland: Boston, NYK, Philly 3x (w/Embiid likely out for at least 2 of those,)
    Milwaukee: NYK, Boston 2x, Philly 2x
    New York: Boston 2x, Philly 3x, Cleveland, Milwaukee
    Philly: Boston, Milwaukee, Cleveland 3x, NYK 3x

• Options

@erikthredd said:

What's going on down in Cleveland? They've won 14 out of their last 15 games and are 19-4 over their last 23.

Looks like they are finally playing as a team and not Garland trying to outscore Mitchelle every night. Whatever happened I sure like it!
    Watch out Celtics - Cavs right behind you........... :D

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said:

What's going on down in Cleveland? They've won 14 out of their last 15 games and are 19-4 over their last 23.

Looks like they are finally playing as a team and not Garland trying to outscore Mitchelle every night. Whatever happened I sure like it!
    Watch out Celtics - Cavs right behind you........... :D

The Cavs have been a sneaky tough matchup for Boston in recent years. Last season Cleveland won the season series 3-1 with all three wins Overtime games and Boston has won the two meetings so far this year but IIRC Mobley missed both games.
    Thankfully Boston has a nice 5 game cushion in the standings.

• Options

Cavs 9th straight win last night. 8 players in double figures.

• Options

Great game also last night- Warriors beat the Suns by one on Curry 3 with .07 seconds left.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Great game also last night- Warriors beat the Suns by one on Curry 3 with .07 seconds left.

Green was giving it to Durant after the final play.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

I just watched that game winner on YT. It was an amazing catch,spin & shoot by Steph but that pass to him by rookie Brandin Podziemski to keep it away from Bradley Beal deserves praise too.

Here's the game winner for anyone that hasn't seen it yet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od916uA6DHI

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Cavs 9th straight win last night. 8 players in double figures.

Hopefully for Cavs fans sake they aren't peaking to soon. They're playing at a incredible clip right now going 17-1 over their last 18 games.

Its going to be interesting to see how the Celtics,Cavs,Bucks,Knicks & 76ers all look after all of the trades made at the deadline.
    IMO the Knicks knocked it out of the park with their additions but they've got a few guys dealing with injuries so may not see the results for a bit. Boston & Milwaukee added defense and Philly one of the best 3pt shooters in Buddy Hield.
    Cleveland was the only team that didn't make a trade but with how they've been playing lights out it makes sense to not hurt their team chemistry.

• Options

Cavs play the Sixers tomorrow in Cleveland.
    Boston - Miami today at 2pm EST

• Options

Well now that the NFL season is over and baseball has yet to begin, the attention of US Sports fans and media (at least a portion of them) will turn to pro and college hoops for entertainment.

I have been partially following the NBA this season and find it refreshing that many of the teams in both conferences that have been and are at the top of the conference standings are teams that historically have been not very good. Some of the newer, younger players on NBA rosters are amazingly talented. Older, star players who for 10-15 years have been in the limelight are soon going to be replaced. Enjoy watching them as they head towards retirement.

As for the team in my back yard (the GS Warriors), this year has been a rocky one. Very inconsistent.

After a 6-2 start the team crashed (until 8 games ago) and it seemed that "disfunction junction" was an apt moniker for the team.

GS has played a very large number of games where the final margin of victory was less then 5 points (with many being 1 point wins). GS ended up losing many of those close games (with the older players on the floor at the end of the game playing terrible and causing many of the losses). Watching those games was frustrating because at times the team played horrible and at times it played phenomenal basketball.

Since Green came back from his suspension the team has played much better. GS is 7-1 in its last 8 games.

Younger players (mostly Kuminga and Pods) have been stellar. Wiggins is playing very well. All players on the roster are seeing playing time and are mostly playing well. GP2 is back and is playing well. CP3 will be back soon. Curry is playing at an MVP level. The offense is on fire and the defense is rounding into form.

Whether this stretch of playing well is temporary or whether it will persist for the rest of the regular season into the playoffs is yet to be seen. However, watching GS win 7 or its last 8 games has been fun. If GS pulls it all together and makes the playoffs I would not want to play against them.

• Options
  • Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Any idea on what the Warriors were willing to give up for Lebron ?

• Options

@pdoidoi said:

@pdoidoi said:

The article says their offer likely would have started with Chris Paul & Andrew Wiggins plus picks/filler but LA would never have made that deal. A more realistic offer would have been something like Wiggins or CP3 plus Kuminga,Moody & Brandin Podziemski & picks.
    If Bronny enters the 2024 draft, GS would just have to draft him and then they'd likely get Lebron too as a free agent on the cheap. Some team is going to draft Lebron's kid way earlier than his talent should have landed him.

• Options
    edited February 14, 2024 10:45AM

This morning I heard about GS making an inquiry with the Lakers about LBJ. Sports talk radio shows this a.m. in the Bay Area are talking about this. The comments by the show hosts and phone in callers are a mixture of yes and no.

LBJ charts his own path and has played for Cleveland (twice), Miami and the LA Lakers. I understand that over time he has developed friendships with Curry and Green on GS. He has also said that he would like playing on the same team as Curry (apparently LBJ and Curry will be on the US Olympic Team that plays in Paris this coming summer).

My view on LBJ moving from the Lakers to GS is neither for or against. I am ambivalent. However, if it did happen it would be great theater causing much "buzz" throughout the global basketball world and throughout global society in general. I would enjoy seeing LBJ and Curry playing together.

As far as a GS roster with LBJ and Curry goes I would like to see it include at least the following players (players would have to agree to take much less money than they could command in the market place in order to assemble such a dream team):

1. LBJ (claimed by many to be the GOAT);

2. Curry (mentioned as a top 5 or 10 all time great);

3. Green (polarizing player, but no doubt he is central to the success GS has experienced);

4. Thompson (I think Thompson will adjust to being an older player who plays more of a supporting role; and to me it seems appropriate the Curry, Green and Thompson play only for GS and maybe even retire together):

5. Kuminga (if he continues to play at or above his current level of performance he is destined for stardom);

6. Pods (something about him tells me that he is going to be a fantastic player with All Star potential);

7. TJD (he looks like he will become a really good player at the 4 or 5 spot);

8. Bronny james (so that LBJ and his oldest son can play on the same team together for a year or two; and so that the father and son story line can be publicized); and

9. maybe, just maybe Kevin Durant (have KD come back to GS for Act 2).

Whether or not such a GS team would be able to win one or two more NBA titles is unknown, but the spectacle of it all would make for a very entertaining NBA season or two. Many persons would hate LBJ playing with Curry; and many persons would love it. Either way, it would be PR gold for the NBA.

Your thoughts please?

• Options

@SanctionII IMHO,that roster would be the Title favorites to win it all and the only real question would be how would their health hold up through the season & playoffs? Its almost a 100% lock that there would be other ring chasers who would want to jump on too. Where the Dubs are so far into the luxury tax and with all of the new tax implications in the new CBA, GS may only be able to offer Lebron the league minimum,it would be interesting to see if he would actually follow through on his promise to play with his son.

That all being said the Warriors might not even get the chance to draft Bronny. As of right now they're projected to land pick #13,the lottery still needs to happen but unless they hit big to land in the top 3 its in all likelyhood going to be in the 10-15 range. There's also the possibility that GS gets hot over these next few months and climb the WC standings. https://tankathon.com/
    Either way there are quite a few teams ahead of them in the draft that may view drafting Bronny/signing Lebron as a quicker path to success.
    Detroit has a TON of young talent
    San Antonio would have an epic pick & roll tandem in Wemby/Lebron plus own enough 1sts to go find another star or 2.
    Memphis with a Lebron/Ja/JJJ/Bane/Smart core would be a legit contender
    Brooklyn has a deep roster but just needs a closer like Lebron
    Atlanta would likely become a top 3-4 EC team w/Lebron
    Chicago would finally have a glue guy like Lebron that could make all of their talent finally work together

Then you have teams like Orlando,Miami, Indiana,Sacramento & Dallas sitting right behind GS in the current draft order that could all possibly drop ahead of the Warriors. I think the Kings with Lebron would be the best overall option of all of the teams named above. Their roster is loaded with high end talent and he wouldn't have to leave California.

While GS's FInals chances would be much higher by drafting Bronny there are so many other teams that could make that same move that would likely lead to more wins and ticket sales.

Then you have plenty of the better teams that could view a trade-up in the draft worth it to land Lebron for a few years. The Knicks & Thunder own a ton of tradeable 1st round picks that could entice a top 10 team to give move down.
    Philly has only one guaranteed contract on their 2024-25 salary cap,Embiid, and could literally tell Lebron to go fill out the rest of the roster with ring chasers.
    Cleveland could be even better by adding Lebron/Bronny.

Then you have the Clippers who are a legit Finals contender right now with 4 future HOFers in Kawhi,PG13,Westbrook & Harden. Lebron would only need to change locker rooms and if he managed to lead the Clips to their first title in team history,it would make for an epic story.

If drafting Bronny then leads to a Lebron free agent signing for cheap money there will be so many teams that could want to make that happen. It really would be something that the NBA has never seen before.

• Options

In that Tankathon link, i just noticed that some of those picks ahead of GS have some restrictions on them and there's a real possibility that SA,OKC & Portland each all end up with two draft picks in the lottery. Owning multiple lottery picks could make it a much easier decision to draft Bronny plus the best player available with that 2nd pick OR just get that BPA with one pick then trade the other to a team looking to move up for that Bronny/Lebron tandem.

This should make for an entertaining draft as long as Bronny declares for it in 2024. He could always decide to return to USC for one more year too.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

outside of being LBJ's son, what is Bronny's allure exactly? kid can d up but can't shoot a lick

some ugly, ugly stats at USC

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    outside of being LBJ's son, what is Bronny's allure exactly? kid can d up but can't shoot a lick

some ugly, ugly stats at USC

That's what many basketball fans have been wondering. Bronny wasn't considered one of the highest recruits in the HS rankings, then out of the blue one of the NBA draft prospect writers (i think at espn) ranked Bronny as a lottery pick. Then others sites started ranking him higher before he had even played for USC. Then he has his medical issue and now who knows where he should accurately be ranked.

While I do think that Lebron really wants to play with his son more than anything,there's definitely some nepotism going on there where Bronny may end up getting drafted very much higher than where he would have been had his father not made his playing together idea public. Some draft prospect analysts even thought there's a chance that he may go undrafted entirely before Lebron stepped in with his wish.

• Options

My post is mostly speculation, without regard to the realities of finances, salary cap, luxury tax, draft positions, etc. I have no idea how my proposed GS roster (with LBJ and his son) could/would ever come about. I have no idea if Bronny is good enough to have a long (or even a short) NBA career. However, if LBJ and Curry decide that they want to team up for one or two years I suspect that they and the league would find a way to make it happen.

It is fascinating to think about the possibilities. What makes the NBA even more fun for a basketball fan is (Again!!!) the skills and talents of the younger players entering the league (who come from all over the globe). Seeing some of the newer younger players put on a show is very entertaining.

• Options

If Lebron doesn't take a low dollar deal it would be hard for GS to sign him. The 2024-25 salary cap is projected to be around
    141M, GS has roughly 174M in salaries on the books for next season and that doesn't include Klay or Saric, Chris Paul's 2024-25 30M salary is not guaranteed and even if the Warriors just let him walk in free agency, that same money would likely go towards a Klay extension.
    it really comes down to which team drafts Bronny,if he enters the draft, and how much of a paycut will Lebron be willing to take? His 2023-24 salary is roughly 47M that jumps to 51M in 2024-25 if he picks up his player option.

For entertainment purposes, GS with Lebron would be like an All Star team roster. Hopefully Boston would get a Finals rematch to even the score. 😉

• Options

Boston goes ito the AS break coming off of 50pt win against the Nets which was Joe Mazzulla 100th career win in just over a season and a half as Head Coach. Overall his coaching record is 100-37 not incuding playoffs.
    Taken from twitter:
    This is Joe Mazzulla's 100th win as Celtics head coach.
    In the last 70 years, only three NBA coaches have reached 100 wins faster (Steve Kerr, Tom Thibodeau, Avery Johnson)
    He remains the NBA's all-time winningest coach (min. 100 wins)

Joe Mazzulla .730
    Phil Jackson .704
    Billy Cunningham .698
    Larry Bird .687
    KC Jones .674

IMO, this all means nothing unless he leads the C's to a championship in the very near future.

• Options

Not NBA news but Iowa's Caitlin Clark broke the NCAA Division 1 career scoring record tonight with a deep three that would make Steph Curry proud. She's gotta be at least 10' behind the 3pt line.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybAU4bPU6Yk

With 4 games left she needs just 120pts to surpass the men's all time leading scorer Pete Maravich.