Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

just watched a surreal game

Phoenix was up 20 on San Antonio with 7:30 left in the 3rd

final score: San Antonio 115, Phoenix 114

the Spurs' first lead in the game came with 1.2 seconds left

Wemby with 18 points, 8 rebounds and 4 blocks...............and two big baskets in the final minute

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    just watched a surreal game

Phoenix was up 20 on San Antonio with 7:30 left in the 3rd

final score: San Antonio 115, Phoenix 114

the Spurs' first lead in the game came with 1.2 seconds left

Wemby with 18 points, 8 rebounds and 4 blocks...............and two big baskets in the final minute

Sounds like a good one. I'm going to watch the highlights before 💤😴

• Options

Ok, thank you. I got five seconds in, and have to say something.

Is Wemby wearing an invisible suit, or is KD completely high, or both? I'm referring to the first five seconds of the above video, where VW has the putback off a missed 3 to make it a 1 point game.

• Options

I watched the next 15 seconds. Yes,KD is high.

• Options

Suns fans furious, saying KD was mauled and the foul should have been called.

I'm not saying they do or don't have a case, but KD needs to a)block out Wemby on the put back and b) keep 2 hands on that ball, tightly. Lol

• Options
    edited October 31, 2023 10:37PM

@thisistheshow

KD very much played out of character the final minute

but I watched the entire game and all I will say is this: resilience is a beautiful thing. for the first 2 1/2 quarters it appeared as if the Suns could name their score. do we want to win by 30? 40? 50? but to the credit of those young Spurs, they never quit. chipped away, chipped away, chipped away, chipped away, chipped away.....then it happened. Pop knows he has an inexperienced bunch that is not going to win a lot of games, but he has them playing HARD for 48 minutes. it would have been SO incredibly easy for them to let up, but they refused to die.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @thisistheshow

but I watched the entire game and all I will say is this: resilience is a beautiful thing. for the first 2 1/2 quarters it appeared as if the Suns could name their score. do we want to win by 30? 40? 50? but to the credit of those young Spurs, they never quit. chipped away, chipped away, chipped away, chipped away, chipped away.....then it happened. Pop knows he has an inexperienced bunch that is not going to win a lot of games, but he has them playing HARD for 48 minutes. it would have been SO incredibly easy for them to let up, but they refused to die.

Adding to that, VW seems like a different guy in crunch time. This is great, but begs a few questions.

Having it in you to bring it harder in the 4th quarter is a great trait. And he seems like he is so talented that, when he puts it together, he will be a complete game player known as a finisher.

🤞regarding injuries.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

Adding to that, VW seems like a different guy in crunch time. This is great, but begs a few questions.

Having it in you to bring it harder in the 4th quarter is a great trait. And he seems like he is so talented that, when he puts it together, he will be a complete game player known as a finisher.

🤞regarding injuries.

it was a carbon copy of the game against the Rockets the other night. for the first 3 quarters he had the look of someone trying to figure things out, then the 4th quarter commenced and the aggression & activeness ratcheted up a few notches.

i view it as a very good sign

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 482 ✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    @thisistheshow

And then chipped away.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched till about midway thru the 2nd and it looks like I missed one hell of a second half and finish. Its good to see that he bounced back from that Clippers game were he had a so-so type performance.

• Options
    edited November 1, 2023 10:22AM

@galaxy27 said:
    @thisistheshow

You could just look at the Spurs over the past two games to see how resilient they were in this Suns game compared to the Clippers. Against LA,they were in the game early but in the 2nd-3rd quarters the Clippers went up big while Wemby wasn't much of a factor vs the Kawhi/PG3/Zubac front court. The team loses by 40.
    I watched a little over a quarter against Phoenix then the highlights just now and you could actually see the fight in the Spurs during that 2nd half. When Wemby's teammates see him going all out you just know that the team upped its intentsity.

I'm realing hoping that Pop & the front office decides to go looking for a 2nd star sooner rather than later.

• Options

Crazy night in Boston with the C's beating Indiana 155-104.
    3rd highest point total in team history
    First time since 1950-51 that they score 75pts in the first half of back to back games.

I can't remember many games where they won by 50+pts.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

First time since 1950-51 that they score 75pts in the first half of back to back games.

i have yet to watch them play, but i'm under the impression that they made the right moves in the offseason and are an improved version this season

155 reminds me of the Nuggets in the 80s

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

i have yet to watch them play, but i'm under the impression that they made the right moves in the offseason and are an improved version this season

155 reminds me of the Nuggets in the 80s

I think the best part about these big leads is seeing the starters call it a night after three quarters.

Here's Wemby adding his own signature to an Iceman finger roll. 😎
    https://www.facebook.com/reel/343161111537844

• Options

@erikthredd said:

Here's Wemby adding his own signature to an Iceman finger roll. 😎
    https://www.facebook.com/reel/343161111537844

i saw that the other night lol

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new NBA In Season Tournament starts with opening games tomorrow.

How do you think this Tournament will turn out? A positive step for the league and its players? Or something that is not favorably received?

I think it will be interesting to watch and it may well be something that increases the quality of play and that increases viewership of league games during the early part of the long regular season.

• Options
    edited November 2, 2023 3:30PM

I think that for this first initial tournament the players may actually go after it with some pride to be that first team to say that they won it. That being said,I doubt that the NBA sees some huge jump in viewership, definitely not like the NCAA tournament.
    If you reguarly watch NBA games then,at the very least, you're tuning in to watch your favorite team. Casual fans may or may not watch but I do think that there maybe a betting aspect to it that draws in others.

The winning team gets a trophy plus 500K per player then its 50K to 200K per player for the other teams that make the quarterfinals and semifinals.

Should be fun to watch though just to see which teams take it seriously.

edit: Also I do think that we may see some surprise teams make it through to the later rounds. Unlike the playoffs where you need to win 4 games, this tournament is win and move on so one hot player could carry a team like we've seen during March Madness.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    The new NBA In Season Tournament starts with opening games tomorrow.

How do you think this Tournament will turn out? A positive step for the league and its players? Or something that is not favorably received?

I think it will be interesting to watch and it may well be something that increases the quality of play and that increases viewership of league games during the early part of the long regular season.

My opinion on this has not changed. 👎👎

• Options

Wemby with a monster game in another win against the Suns. With 4:16 left in a 116-116 game he scores 10 of SA's final 16pts to seal the win, finishing with 38/10/2/1/2.

• Options

Here's a look at the new look courts for the tournament. I'm digging the Bulls and what could be Boston's home away from home in Brooklyn,especially with how our fans travel there for most Nets-C's games. 😎

• Options

if i sat here and said i knew about this in-season tournament, i'd be lying through my teeth. i literally had no idea what you guys were talking about. the moment i read up on it my visceral reaction was, "what a weird, irrelevant idea........one that i could not care less about."

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    if i sat here and said i knew about this in-season tournament, i'd be lying through my teeth. i literally had no idea what you guys were talking about. the moment i read up on it my visceral reaction was, "what a weird, irrelevant idea........one that i could not care less about."

I consider it a disgrace. I've read different justifications. Mitigating load management. Mimicking something done in soccer leagues so as to attract new fans. Creating enthusiasm for a part of the season that is overshadowed by the NFL.

You can spin it any way you want, but I'm not buying it. 👎👎💪💪

• Options

Anyone watching any games tonight?

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Anyone watching any games tonight?

Unfortunatly I wasted 3 hours watching the Cavs lose to Indiana tonight.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Thunder v Warriors tonight in OKC was a nail biter. 141 to 139, Warriors win. Courtesy of Curry making a game winning layup with 0.2 seconds on the clock.

OKC shot 68% from the field and 56% from three and still lost. The Warriors are on a roll.

• Options

Just heard a thought about changing the All Star game into an International vs USA matchup and I actually like it.

We could see something like these two lineups and i'd bet that World team would take it to the US team and make them have to play hard for pride's sake.

World:
    Giannis
    Nikola Jokic
    Luka
    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
    Lauri Markkenan
    Rudy Gobert
    Joel Embiid
    Victor Wembanyama
    Pascal Siakam
    Franz Wagner
    Jamal Murray
    Domantas Sabonis
    OG Anunoby

USA:
    Steph Curry
    Jayson Tatum
    Kevin Durant
    Lebron
    Anthony Davis
    Devin Booker
    Jimmy Butler
    Donovan Mitchell
    Jaylen Brown
    Anthony Edwards
    Tyrese Haliburton
    Kawhi
    Bam Adebayo

The World team would have all of the best bigs and the US has the better shooters and wings.

• Options

so the Clippers picked up Harden and next thing i knew, i was reading a bunch of pop tarts like "how will this team be stopped?"

3 games since he joined, 3 trips to the loser's lounge 😅

idk if you caught wind of last night's game, but get this. they were up 11 on the Mavericks with 1:13 left in the 1st quarter. at halftime they were losing by 26 points 😂

talk about an unmitigated disaster right now

i liked the beard when he was in Houston. he never played great defense but he was a scoring and facilitating machine. but since then, there has been an inverse relationship developing between his play and his toxicity. i no longer think his juice is worth the squeeze, but we shall see. on its face, adding him to Leonard, George and Westbrook sounds like a can't-lose situation, but is it when you move past the names and dig deeper? how many games will it take for them to figure out how to share one basketball and crystallize out on the court?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tuned into the Lakers/Suns game last night. Was surprised Lakers came back to win. Lebron did not flop, but over acted on a slight contact with another player. Quite the actor. The new court floor designs are really something to see.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@galaxy27 said:
    so the Clippers picked up Harden and next thing i knew, i was reading a bunch of pop tarts like "how will this team be stopped?"

3 games since he joined, 3 trips to the loser's lounge 😅

idk if you caught wind of last night's game, but get this. they were up 11 on the Mavericks with 1:13 left in the 1st quarter. at halftime they were losing by 26 points 😂

talk about an unmitigated disaster right now

i liked the beard when he was in Houston. he never played great defense but he was a scoring and facilitating machine. but since then, there has been an inverse relationship developing between his play and his toxicity. i no longer think his juice is worth the squeeze, but we shall see. on its face, adding him to Leonard, George and Westbrook sounds like a can't-lose situation, but is it when you move past the names and dig deeper? how many games will it take for them to figure out how to share one basketball and crystallize out on the court?

Harden is by far the oddest (or most odd?) athlete in pro sports He's turned down over 300M in extensions between Houston & Philly then got PO'd at Daryl Morey for not giving him an extension this past offseason. He leaves arguably the best situation,championship-wise, in his career and like you said he goes to the Clippers who are a complete disaster.

LAC went from a healthy deep roster to an aging bunch of former stars with little else behind them. This Cippers core would have been fantastic 5 years ago but not even close now.

Philly looks rejuvenated without the Beard,it will be interesting to see what they do next about keeping Embiid happy.

• Options

I've watched about 3 tournament games so far and I'm already sick of hearing some NBA on court reporter asking players what if feels like playing in their first in season tournament game as if it compared to the Finals or Olympics.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I've watched about 3 tournament games so far and I'm already sick of hearing some NBA on court reporter asking players what if feels like playing in their first in season tournament game as if it compared to the Finals or Olympics.

Remember that I am on the record way back as saying it is a terrible idea.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

I kind of like our court though without the parquet though lol.

• Options

The two things I like wa> @erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

I kind of like our court though without the parquet though lol.

Sacrilege. 🏀

• Options

Someone should ask the Mavs announcer,Brian Dameris, how he really feels about James Harden lol.
    Homie is spittin facts!🤣

"I get on my knees every night and pray for someone to believe in me like Daryl Morey believed in you," Dameris said.
    "They traded Ben Simmons for you - how did they pull that off? And you know what, you went there and you got a partner who got the MVP. He won the MVP," Dameris continued. "And what did you say afterwards? You said, 'They didn't hand me the reins.'

"You're the point guard, you're holding the reins. And what did you do when you had the reins? You scored nine points in Game 7 against Boston. You blew a 3-2 series lead."

And just when you thought he was wrapping up … he delivers the final blow about Harden's current status with the Clippers:

"If this doesn't work this year, in this system with this team, then you're going to go and point fingers at everybody else. You're going to go back home and you're going to start swiping right for another team and there's not going to be anybody left.

"Because James — you're not The Beard, you're not the system, you're the problem."
    🤣😂🤣

• Options

Philly forward Kelly Oubre Jr gets hit by a car last night and ends up with some broken ribs among other cuts & bruises. He's now going to miss some significant time.

Has anyone questioned James Harden about this attempted hit job lol?
    Rumor has it he's hated Kelly Oiubre jr for years now since Oubre stole Harden's girl at a party and has since married her.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2023 10:25AM

Here are some fun stats showing how inept the Clippers have become since trading for James Harden.

1. LA didn't score a single point in the first 2:47 of both of the 1st & 3rd quarters against the Grizzlies yesterday.
    2. They made one FG in the final 5:50 of the first half against Grizzlies.
      3.The Starters (Kawhi/PG/Westbrook/Harden/Zubac) have played a total of 46mins together in the four games since Harden got to LA and have been outscored by 19pts per 100 possessions.
    3. Their starters offensive rating is 87.5 (for comparison, Portland has the worst Offensive Rating in the league at 105.2)
    4. Westbrook & Harden have been on the court together for a combined 73 game minutes. they have an offensive rating of 101.3, a defensive rating of 123.5 and a net rating of -22.

Thats four future Hall of Fame players playing like the NBA's version of the Bad News Bears. 😂🤣😂

• Options

@erikthredd

the Clippers have been in desperation mode throughout '23. George & Leonard together hadn't sniffed a championship in a handful of years, and those dudes were in their early 30s and creeping perilously close to the downside of their careers. enter desperation move #1: Russell Westbrook, who is already there. no change. then we have desperation move #2: James Harden, who is already there as well. they are frantic to do anything they can to produce a chip before all of that talent is wasted. ain't gonna work, clearly. not only are they losing with that mishmash, but they are completely disappearing for extended periods of time during games. like scary ineptitude. how the f do you allow a team to go on a 33-4 run the way the Mavs did the other night? is anyone even on the court during that? all culminated by a loss at home to one of the worst teams in the league yesterday. 😅

but hey, at least there's some good news: their next game is at Denver

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @erikthredd

the Clippers have been in desperation mode throughout '23. George & Leonard together hadn't sniffed a championship in a handful of years, and those dudes were in their early 30s and creeping perilously close to the downside of their careers. enter desperation move #1: Russell Westbrook, who is already there. no change. then we have desperation move #2: James Harden, who is already there as well. they are frantic to do anything they can to produce a chip before all of that talent is wasted. ain't gonna work, clearly. not only are they losing with that mishmash, but they are completely disappearing for extended periods of time during games. like scary ineptitude. how the f do you allow a team to go on a 33-4 run the way the Mavs did the other night? is anyone even on the court during that? all culminated by a loss at home to one of the worst teams in the league yesterday. 😅

but hey, at least there's some good news: their next game is at Denver

I watched most of that game up until the Heat-Spurs started and they looked pretty horrible. Halfway through it I was wondering what the hell happened to Paul George's career?
    He came back from that horrific injury and ended up on some fun Thunder teams only to get traded to the Clippers where he's become the mirror image of Kawhi Leonard...a legit go to scorer on offense and lockdown defender on defense but only healthy for half a season and they're rarely healthy together come playoff time.

Both Kawhi & PG have 48M player options for next season and its going to be interesting to see if they opt in or not. They're both still fairly young enough to possibly get one last 3-4yr deal at big bucks or will Steve Ballmer just keep going all-in with the two?

LA still owes the Thunder 1sts round picks in 2024 & 2026 and a pick swap in 2025 as part of the Paul George trade which means the CLippers have no incentive to start over so Ballmer will likely extend them both.

OKC made out like bandits on the PG trade, so far its:
    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
    Jaylin William, runner up in last year's ROY
    Tre Mann, a decent backup PG.
    3 more future 1st round picks
    1 1st round pick swap

I see deals like that and thank god that Danny Ainge never went all in on any of PG,Kawhi,Jimmy Butler,AD or KD when he had the young players in Tatum,Brown or Smart plus a huge chest of draft picks at the time.

• Options

The Clippers are, and likely always will be the.......................... Clippers. B)

How many times does history have to repeat itself, before the owners, general managers and coaches realize that creating a roster consisting of multiple individual "star players" (whatever that means) has not proven (recently) to be a way to win a title, especially if the "star players" are all ball dominant and in the latter stages of their careers.

For example, prior to the current Clippers roster of George, Leonard, Westbrook and Harden you had:

Lakers - James, Davis and Westbrook;

Nets - Durant, Irving and Harden,

Sixers - Embid, Harden and Irving.

OKC - Durant, Westbrook and Harden

The GS Warriors had a really good run over the past decade 4 titles in 9 years and 6 trips to the finals, mostly with home grown superstars and very good free agent signings and trades. However the current version of the Warriors (with the top six players being Curry, Thompson, Green, Chris Paul, Kevon Looney and Andrew Wiggins) are showing signs of talent/ability drop off (except Curry who is having a phenomenal year so far) do to age. Father time always wins.

The Warriors have been very competitive in all but one of their games so far this year, but they have not been shooting well and they are unable to defend effectively against young, big and freakishly athletic teams such as OKC, Cleveland, Denver, Sacramento and Houston. If the Warriors continue to have poor shooting percentages the team will struggle all year. If on the other hand the players find their groove and start shooting the lights out the team will be poised for another title run.

• Options

Its still early in the season but there's been quite a few surprise teams so far and some head scratchers as well.
    Philly has been better than expected without Harden but they need to win in the playoffs for it to matter.
    Dallas is looking like a legit contender but how long that lasts depends on Kyrie.
    Minnesota is looking like this might be the best team in Wolves history, that defense is legit.
    Houston already has 6 wins in 9 games after a 22 win season a year ago.
    Indiana has no problem playing their games first team to 140pts,wins.
    OKC is looking like this might be the season where all of that young talent gets them into the playoffs.
    Orlando could be thinking the same.

Then you have...
    Milwaukee, whose defense looks totally lost without Jrue Holiday.
    Cleveland hasn't started their year like they'd hoped after signing some decent shooters.
    Chicago should just do a fire sale and start over already. They have talented individual players that just don't mesh together.
    Memphis went from the #2 seed to the worst team in their conference.
    Phoenix mortgaged their future on an injury prone trio where Booker has already missed 8 games and Beal 7.
    Sacramento went from the 3rd to seed to playing .500 ball.
    The LAC just gutted their depth for Harden and we're seeing how bad that move has been.
    The LAL signed a ton of young players that aren't playing well enough to be offered in a deal for another star player.

SA started out like they belonged in that other group above butlosing 5 straight changed their outlook real quick. Wemby looks like a superstar one game,then a 19yr old the next. I've read that Coach Pop didn't want to overload his development on the offensive end too much in year one but having watched most of their 10 games, it wouldn't hurt to let him & someone like Devin Vassell or Keldon johnson develop a 2man game. Their offense has sputtered late in games where it tends to breakdown into hero ball threes.

This current Warriors team is tough to predict right now. They looked great during that early 5 game winning streak where they had 4 road wins (after finishing with just 11 total road wins last season) but since then they've gone 1-5 including most recently b2b home losses.

Denver & Boston have really just been business as usual so far.

• Options
  • Options

@erikthredd said:
    The Dubs-Wolves game brought some extra entertainment last night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAr-W1vVjZc

you beat me to it. I actually watched this game. Jaden McDaniels with the play of the night, taking out two Dubs starters in less than two minutes lol

it was good to see Draymond a reformed man. not. if I had been Rudy Gobert I would have come out of that headlock like Tyson in the first round against Marvis Frazier. but he and KAT played it beautifully -- no retaliation, Golden St all of a sudden without Curry, Klay and Draymond, hello win #8. (but they still almost lost.)

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:
    The Dubs-Wolves game brought some extra entertainment last night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAr-W1vVjZc

you beat me to it. I actually watched this game. Jaden McDaniels with the play of the night, taking out two Dubs starters in less than two minutes lol

it was good to see Draymond a reformed man. not. if I had been Rudy Gobert I would have come out of that headlock like Tyson in the first round against Marvis Frazier. but he and KAT played it beautifully -- no retaliation, Golden St all of a sudden without Curry, Klay and Draymond, hello win #8. (but they still almost lost.)

That Wolves team is looking like a legit contender right now. Two DPOY caliber defenders in Rudy & J-Mac and two elite scorers in Ant & KAT. They gave the Celtics fits at the end of their game a week or two ago where Boston lost their first game.
    Its going to be interesting to see if they decide to move KAT or not at some point because they're due to have some major tax problems soon if they keep the team as-is.

While on the topic of Draymond's reformation, maybe that punch of Jordan Poole wasn't all his fault. Here's Poole in his most recent game for the Wiz. 🤣

• Options

the C's with a nice roadie W over the Sixers tonight

• Options

Great win. Tremendous win.

• Options

This may sound crazy but our offense looked more fluid moving the ball without brown & porzingis out there. Our 4-5-6-7 players stepped up for a big win.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    This may sound crazy but our offense looked more fluid moving the ball without brown & porzingis out there. Our 4-5-6-7 players stepped up for a big win.

Knowing you are going to get guys back, or knowing that things aren't permanent, or the adrenaline of playing an unfamiliar role, can make the team look different, meaning it wouldn't necessarily look like that over a longer stretch.

I don't think, at least to me, it's worth bringing up here what I said earlier, regarding theoretical changes. lol

• Options

Westbrook being willing to come off the bench is really the best move for the Clippers right now. He could be a legit 6MOY candidate,we'll see how it goes.
    https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/11/clippers-russell-westbrook-volunteers-to-come-off-bench.html