Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2023-2024 NBA Regular Season Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2023 7:35AM

@erikthredd

it's a classic case of, "we'll give you the option of retiring before we fire you"

clearly the NBA dug up some dirt. and based his track record, i guarantee you the dirt they dug up was dirtier than most

i trust NBA officials about as far as i can throw them

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    @erikthredd

it's a classic case of, "we'll give you the option of retiring before we fire you"

clearly the NBA dug up some dirt. and based his track record, i guarantee you the dirt they dug up was dirtier than most

i trust NBA officials about as far as i can throw them

Rumor has it that he was caught with 17 Larry O'Brien trophies tattooed on his body and each had a large green B in them. 😉

Seriously though,how the hell does Scott Foster still have job as an NBA ref? That guy must have dirt on literally everyone in the league office.

• Options

Just got done watching this recent documentary about the 2000-01 76ers titled Everything But The Chip and its worth watching.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15DvcA6dAzE&t=3103s

I didn't realize that they racked up all of the awards that year,that might be the first & only time that has ever happened.
    Allen Iverson won ASMVP, MVP & scoring champion
    Larry Brown COTY
    Dikembe Mutombo DPOY
    Aaron Mckie 6MOTY

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Training camp for teams playing games overseas open today. For other teams training camp opens I think on 10-2-2023.

It seems like it was only a couple of months ago that the 2023 NBA Finals wrapped up.

• Options

Yessir basketball is finally back! Here in Boston everyone is healthy and no reports of any coaches fishing off of the company pier!

• Options

Draymond Green is out for 4-6 weeks with an ankle injury.

This will likely result in Kuminga taking Green's place in the starting line up for all of preseason and the beginning of the regular season. If that happens and if Kuminga performs consistently at a high level on both offense and defense that will be a big plus for GS in the upcoming season.

Of course if Kuminga plays out of his mind, Draymond Green would face a possible de ja vu moment (as happened at the beginning of the 2014-2015 season when David Lee got injured, got replaced by Draymond Green and never got his starting job back). This time it would be Green in the David Lee role. For some reason I do not think Green would be ok that that.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Draymond Green is out for 4-6 weeks with an ankle injury.

This will likely result in Kuminga taking Green's place in the starting line up for all of preseason and the beginning of the regular season. If that happens and if Kuminga performs consistently at a high level on both offense and defense that will be a big plus for GS in the upcoming season.

Of course if Kuminga plays out of his mind, Draymond Green would face a possible de ja vu moment (as happened at the beginning of the 2014-2015 season when David Lee got injured, got replaced by Draymond Green and never got his starting job back). This time it would be Green in the David Lee role. For some reason I do not think Green would be ok that that.

i think it would be a bit different than when Green took over for Lee because they tend to use Green at the 5 alot especially in the playoffs against someone like Anthony Davis or the Joker. IIRC Kerr started Draymond at center in that Lakers-Dubs playoff series with Looney coming off of the bench. Regardless of all that,If Kuminga is playing at a level where its possible that he could become a full time starter that would be huge for GS.

He lowkey gave Jayson Tatum some fits on defense during that Finals series when he replaced Wiggins on the floor. He reminds me of a poor man's Andrew Wiggins or Portland's jerami Grant, two players with similar body types and overall games. The Dubs could roll out some nasty defensive lineups with Gary Payton II,Wiggins,Kuminga,Green & Looney plus they could switchout someone for Klay & CP3,who is arguably one of the best defensive PGs in history.

Boston owned the GS 2024 ist round pick and of course in that case I wanted to see the Dubs have ahorrible season but after that pick got sent to Portland in the Jrue Holiday trade I'm actually looking forward to seeing how CP3 fits with that veteran core now. I really want to see what a Curry/CP3 backcourt looks like.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cavs got Tristan Thompson back for this year

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Cavs got Tristan Thompson back for this year

That guy was gassed in 2020-21 when he played for the Celtics and its crazy to see that he's been with 4 teams since then. Back then he barely had the bounce to get above the rim, I'm not sure what type of role he'll have this year.

What did you think of the Cavs other additions? Strus & Niang (he's from my hometown) are both perfect fits with their shooting for that Mitchell/Garland/Mobley/Allen lineup.
    IMO,Cleveland also had a pretty good rookie haul with both Bates & Porter Jr could possibly develop into decent players but Sam Merrill might be a Max Strus clone with his shooting.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hearing that the Mavericks will most likely be starting their top pick, Dereck Lively from Duke, at Center as the season starts. That is somewhat surprising.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm hearing that the Mavericks will most likely be starting their top pick, Dereck Lively from Duke, at Center as the season starts. That is somewhat surprising.

That is surprising when they're just starting training camp over this past week. He's a legit 7-1 and all he really needs to do is be active on defense and set picks/look for lobs on offense. Their first preseason game is on Thursday, I'll have to tune in to see how all of their new pieces fit together.

• Options

Cavs just don't stop with the injuries - in practice

"Cavaliers center Jarrett Allen has a bone bruise in his left ankle and will likely miss the next 2 weeks, the team announced Saturday."

• Options

Victor W. and Chet H. looked very good for the Spurs and Thunder yesterday.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

What did you think of the Cavs other additions? Strus & Niang (he's from my hometown) are both perfect fits with their shooting for that Mitchell/Garland/Mobley/Allen lineup.

I don't know much about them but all the cavs seem to like the additions. Cleveland Sporstalk say Tristan was added more to teach the young guys how to play during the season and prepare them for the playoffs so what happened to them last year doesn't happen again this year.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said:

I don't know much about them but all the cavs seem to like the additions. Cleveland Sporstalk say Tristan was added more to teach the young guys how to play during the season and prepare them for the playoffs so what happened to them last year doesn't happen again this year.

I think between Strus,Niang & Merrill you've added some legit shooters, They're not known for their defense but with the Twin Towers and two quick shifty guards you could probably hide whoever is that 5th player on defense. Hearing about Thompson in that role does sort of makes sense now.

That Allen injury stinks but you could also look at it as a chance for Mobley to get some time with 4 shooters around him. IIRC since he got to Cleveland its mostly been the two big lineup outside of when one was injured, now Bickerstaff can play with the lineups while using Allen's time out as an extended trainging camp.

I was just looking at the Bos/Cle matchup dates this year and there's only 3 meetings compared to the 4 from last season. That change maybe something to do with the new tournament. Cleveland comes to Boston in mid December for b2b2 games in Boston then the C's go to Cleveland in early March.

• Options

The Kings v. Warriors preseason game tonight was very entertaining.

The Kings lead most of the game, building an 18 point lead in the 4th quarter. GS came storming back with Curry hitting a dagger 3 from about 28 feet over D. Fox with 5.5 seconds left.

Final score GS 116, Kings 115.

Both teams look poised to compete for the #1 seed in the Western Conference this year.

• Options

I know that the season already started, so please excuse this old video to kick it off.

Go Celtics!!! 🍀
    https://youtu.be/OXHQP3UalqM?feature=shared

• Options

Time for the Cavs new guys to step it up tonight.
    Jarett Allen - OUT with a bone bruise suffered in preseason
    Darius Garland - QUESTIONABLE with a minor injury

• Options

The talent level of players on NBA rosters across the league is on an uptick. There are fantastic players on most, if not all, teams. The best older players are being pushed and challenged by new players that at 19-21 years of age look like they will be All Stars for years to come.

Should be an entertaining season for those who like NBA hoops.

• Options

Now I see why the Cavs got Strus. Scored 27 last night in their one point win

• Options

I watched the Kings v. Warriors game tonight. Warriors 122, Kings 114. Curry had 41 points.

A very entertaining game.

The Kings are loaded with young talent. Fox is amazingly good.

The Warriors are going to be much better this year than last year. Chris Paul is going to fit in nicely and the younger players (especially Moody and Kuminga) are playing very well. If the team can avoid serious injuries it will be a top team in the Western Conference.

• Options

Last night I saw something done in the BOS/MIA game that I'm not sure that I've ever seen before, 3 blocked dunk attempts at the rim by our starting backcourt. Derrick White & Jrue Holiday.
    6'-4" DW had 2 and 6'-5" Jrue had the other and IIRC Jrue blocked Jimmy Butler's dunk attempt.

I also like how Boston's top two scorers in their first game were Tatum & Porzingis then in their second game its White & Brown. I like when defenses gear up to stop certain players becuase it just gives others a chance to shine.

• Options

last night Luka went for 49, 10 & 7 after putting up 33, 13 & 10 on opening night against the Spurs

that 3-letter acronym is starting to form in my head already

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I also like how Boston's top two scorers in their first game were Tatum & Porzingis then in their second game its White & Brown. I like when defenses gear up to stop certain players becuase it just gives others a chance to shine.

Actually it was D White blocking Jimmy's dunk not Jrue.
    https://www.facebook.com/reel/298983539746738

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@erikthredd said:

Actually it was D White blocking Jimmy's dunk not Jrue.
    https://www.facebook.com/reel/298983539746738

that was sweet

all of these defensive plays are getting the juices flowing lol

• Options
    edited October 28, 2023 10:26AM

@galaxy27 said:
    last night Luka went for 49, 10 & 7 after putting up 33, 13 & 10 on opening night against the Spurs

that 3-letter acronym is starting to form in my head already

Alot of that will come down to how the team finishes. Will they be in the playoffs and seeded where? IIRC Luka started out last season with the highest usage rate ever over a 1st 10 game span with a phenomenal statline but the team fizzled out at the end and that was after adding Kyrie.
    He/they need more help if they plan on getting into the postseason and winning some games that matter. Those two also need to show that the can coexist with each other on the court and still win games.

Dallas did add two players that I think could really help Luka in the longrun but they've had mixed results after two games.

Grant Williams had 18/6/1 w/4-8 from three in 1st game,then just 5/6 w/1-4 from three last night. I'm not sure Batman can be a 3rd star on a team but unless the team makes more moves,Grant maybe their 3rd guy for now.

Derek Lively II had 16/10/1/1/1 off the bench vs Wemby, then had 9/2/1 last night as a starter vs the Nets. In his defense though,Ben Simmons was the tallest player for Brooklyn and he played more of a point forward role which had to have left Lively in some horrible matchups all night.

• Options
    edited October 28, 2023 10:42AM

@SanctionII How has Curry & CP3 looked together on the court? I didn't catch either of their two games yet but from reading their boxscores, with Draymond out and CP3 starting, i'm guessing he's been their primary ballhandler while Curry has been more of a SG role.

• Options

Mavs won game 2 but did not play the way they need to in order to sustain success. Too much Luka, not enough Kyrie, not enough anyone else.

Luka is fun to watch, and I am glad I am not interested in Mavs winning, just in watching him.

Luka hit 4 straight 3s in crunch time, including this ridiculous 3.

https://youtu.be/7GbmDiy0hH8?feature=shared

As @erikthredd said, the Celtics are looking like they have a winning formula. Watching them it feels like we have an embarrassment of riches. Having added Holiday and Porzingis, and with White seeming to have taken a huge leap (it's probably the haircut, lol)...injuries are inevitable, but we feel so stacked, though I know it's really just our core, with our deeper bench seeming rather shallow.

• Options
    edited October 28, 2023 2:04PM

CP3 and Curry are meshing playing together. They both can and do bring the ball up and initiate the offense.

When CP3 brings the ball up he rarely turns the ball over (1 per each of the first two games, while handing out 20 assists).

When both CP3 and Curry are on the floor together, Curry not handling the ball allows him to run his defender into the ground as he moves to open spots where he can receive a timely pass and shoot or drive to the hoop for a layup.

The Warriors constant motion and passing offense works best when all 5 players are moving in tandem. CP3 is great at controlling the ball and distributing the ball. I think that the Warriors will be very entertaining to watch this season.

The same thing goes for the Kings. They are young, talented and explosive offensively. Fox is one of the quickest players in the league and he scores at will from anywhere on the court.

• Options

@thisistheshow That Luka skyhook should have never counted,he didn't call glass. 😎
    I love what we've seen so far with the C's and with their next 4 games @WAS, Indy, @BKN & @MINN we should see alot more of their bench getting some run. I think with NY & Miami Joe ran the starters deep minutes just to get off to a 2-0 start against two really good teams.

@SanctionII Its going to be interesting to see who goes to the bench when Draymond comes back tomorrow against the Rockets. I'm assuming its either going to be Wiggins or CP3, if its Wiggins then they'd have two ballhandlers in Dray & Paul who could takeaway from each other what the other does best on offense. Its an early game for me (7pm est) so I'll have to check it out.

• Options

Whatever happened to that blockhead from the Pelicans? I think his name was Zion Williams.

• Options

Word of the day: "Notsogoodsofar" - Cavs down 46 to 60 against the Pacers at the half.

• Options

Are you kidding me? 3 Cavs starters are already out of the staring lineup?

• Options

Celtics whoopin" up on the Wizards tonight!

• Options
    edited October 30, 2023 6:25PM

@Steven59 said:
    Celtics whoopin" up on the Wizards tonight!

The C's starters dominated the Wiz for 3 quarters before the entire bench got some run in the 4th.
    That Washington team is not good at all..

• Options

Warriors demolish the Pelicans.

Curry goes off for 42 points.

• Options

Looks like James Harden is finally heading to the Clippers.
    from ESPN:
    The 76ers sent Harden, P.J. Tucker and Filip Petrusev to the Clippers for Marcus Morris, Robert Covington, Nic Batum, KJ Martin, a 2028 unprotected first-round pick, two second-round picks, a 2029 pick swap and an additional first-round pick from the Oklahoma City Thunder, sources told ESPN.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38784569/philadelphia-76ers-agree-trade-james-harden-la-clippers

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    from ESPN:
    The 76ers sent Harden, P.J. Tucker and Filip Petrusev to the Clippers for Marcus Morris, Robert Covington, Nic Batum, KJ Martin, a 2028 unprotected first-round pick, two second-round picks, a 2029 pick swap and an additional first-round pick from the Oklahoma City Thunder, sources told ESPN.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38784569/philadelphia-76ers-agree-trade-james-harden-la-clippers

you beat me to it lol

think this makes the Clips a contender?

• Options

Harden to the Clippers?

I expect the Clippers to have bad team chemistry this year :)

• Options
    edited October 31, 2023 9:40AM

Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Russell Westbrook, and James Harden all on one roster

good Lord i can't wait to see how this plays out

methinks the Clippers need to hire a babysitter and a shrink STAT

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:
    from ESPN:

you beat me to it lol

think this makes the Clips a contender?

I'm not sure because Kawhi,PG3 & Harden's health will always be a concern, It all depends on who is healthy come playoff time.

With Kawhi & PG3 having player options for 2024-25 there's a realistic chance that those 2,Harden & Westbrook could all be gone by next season. This might be LA's last hurrah to get the job done for a possible rebuild.

The pair of VW1's arrived last night and coincidentally Boston destroyed the Wiz, With these new good luck charms the C's should have the championship locked up within a week or two. 😉

• Options
    edited October 31, 2023 9:48AM

If the Clippers can manage to stay healthy then,yes, I do think that they are a legit contender. Kawhi,when healthy,is as good a closer as anyone in the NBA. The same could be said for Paul George plus they both bring it on the other end.

This could turn into a great situation for Harden where he can be the #3 guy as mostly a distributor while knocking down the occassional three. Then on nights where Kawhi or PG3 are out he'll have to step up.

It all comes down to the health of their core four.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

The pair of VW1's arrived last night and coincidentally Boston destroyed the Wiz, With these new good luck charms the C's should have the championship locked up within a week or two. 😉

damn that was fast.........i mailed those out on Saturday afternoon lol

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

damn that was fast.........i mailed those out on Saturday afternoon lol

I was very surprised myself. Had that been a high end PSA graded MJ coming in the mail it would have had a 3 week tour of 8 states before getting to me lol.

Thanks again.

• Options

the Clippers just shoved all their chips into the middle.............all-in this season

championship or bust, and if it's the latter there will be a big mushroom cloud after the season

truthfully i don't care who wins the chip, i just don't want it to be LeBron

C's looking very formidable and Denver is a machine...........all of these notable moves teams are making and it may end up being a repeat in the Finals

• Options

Speaking of the Clippers, I watched the SA/LAC game on sunday night and the stream was on Bally Sports which I'm assuming was the network that shows Clips home games (not sure there.)

My complaint with it was, everytime the offensive ballhandler possessed the ball there was a banner over the player that showed his name and his FG% from that spot on the court. The % meter was continuously going up & down while the player dribbled around the halfcourt and when he passed the ball it switched to another player.

Now while this was going on,there's this box in the upper right corner showing where all the players are in the halfcourt. No names just two sets of different colored dots.

I've never seen this setup and what was aggravating was whenever the ballhandler got close to the rim, his banner would block out view of what's happening on the play. It even got worse when the guy passed to another player near the rim as it still covered the area around the rim.

Has anyone else seen this setup before? Jones has the ball and the closer he gets to the rim that % meter to the right of his name goes higher until he shoots or passes the ball.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    the Clippers just shoved all their chips into the middle.............all-in this season

Although we have many guys locked up long term the Celtics are all-in on this season too. Between the Porzingis & Jrue trades its pushed their salary cap past the new 2nd tax apron that will penalize teams pretty heavily.

The NBA set it up where penalties won't be so harsh for this season but at the end of next season they go in full effect. Boston basically has a 2yr window right now before they need to make some tough decisions.

I haven't researched this entirely but I'm pretty sure that the Clippers,Warriors & Suns (maybe even Bucks too) are all in the same situation.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Speaking of the Clippers, I watched the SA/LAC game on sunday night and the stream was on Bally Sports which I'm assuming was the network that shows Clips home games (not sure there.)

My complaint with it was, everytime the offensive ballhandler possessed the ball there was a banner over the player that showed his name and his FG% from that spot on the court. The % meter was continuously going up & down while the player dribbled around the halfcourt and when he passed the ball it switched to another player.

Now while this was going on,there's this box in the upper right corner showing where all the players are in the halfcourt. No names just two sets of different colored dots.

I've never seen this setup and what was aggravating was whenever the ballhandler got close to the rim, his banner would block out view of what's happening on the play. It even got worse when the guy passed to another player near the rim as it still covered the area around the rim.

Has anyone else seen this setup before? Jones has the ball and the closer he gets to the rim that % meter to the right of his name goes higher until he shoots or passes the ball.

Did you try the other stream options for the same game?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Did you try the other stream options for the same game?

No,because that was Buffstream's best option for a quality stream. I could have switched but then dealt with pop-ups & buffering issues.
    I'd go nuts if that was used during C's clns broadcast of games.