THIS IS NOT MY COIN
I would like to get some opinions on it before I pull the trigger
You can GTG also, I'd be interested to see what the experts have to say
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 7:26PM

Common date, nice bright luster, a technical AU58 likely graded MS62. It's nice but I'm not a big fan of the heavy scrapes in the obv fields.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll one up coinbuf and say 63....pretty coin even though there is chatter on the obverse..

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

64 CAC. I just bought a 64 CAC same year off GC the other day and it looks better than this coin. Unless you can get a deal, pass on this. Too much chatter for the grade.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s difficult for me to get excited about a common date mid uncirculated Liberty $20 regardless of what the grade is or how many stickers it has.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd call it an average MS63.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pcgs pops are literally in the 100,000s for this coin. I’ve called this date dreck before, and I’ll do it again now. Unless it’s close to melt, pass.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@skier07 said:
    It’s difficult for me to get excited about a common date mid uncirculated Liberty $20 regardless of what the grade is or how many stickers it has.

Not everyone is looking for rarities, but just a nice example of the type
    Who said anything about stickers?

Fair point.

I think it’s an average example of a 63 or perhaps 64.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    Pcgs pops are literally in the 100,000s for this coin. I’ve called this date dreck before, and I’ll do it again now. Unless it’s close to melt, pass.

I get it, but you really don't put rare coins in a type set, do you?

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63, still pretty!

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice 63 to me

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    m4832m4832 Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

I like it and would buy it.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2023 5:00AM

Those> @coinbuf said:

Common date, nice bright luster, a technical AU58 likely graded MS62. It's nice but I'm not a big fan of the heavy scrapes in the obv fields.

>
    >
    Yeah this was my thinking except the 58 part. In the pics I don’t see any wear.
    Those abrasions on the obverse must be really light otherwise I don’t see how that particular coin made it in a 64 holder.
    Peace!
    HB

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

It really doesn’t matter. I collect for my type set and most of my coins are the more common inexpensive items available, though in higher grades of ms 65-67.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22... The 64 grade surprised me.... Thought 62, best case 63.... Did you buy it?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@1madman said:

It really doesn’t matter. I collect for my type set and most of my coins are the more common inexpensive items available, though in higher grades of ms 65-67.

Understandably, that's how many collectors assemble their type sets - with higher grade examples of more common coins, rather than lower grade, scarcer dates.

For for the record, the word "dreck" was misused by @madman and even XF $20 Libs are trading for roughly 10% over melt.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    Thank you to all that gave their opinions

Wow, really? With a CAC sticker to boot? Too much chatter and scrapes for me to agree with that grade.

Mark

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really about the price. For a reasonable price I'd be happy to have that as a type coin.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@1madman said:

@alaura22
    Can you explain what appears is an obvious answer to me and the logic behind the thought please?

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@skier07 said:

Funny you mention this because the coin is clearly a dog in a 64 holder. You must have been attracted to the old holder or the cac sticker, because the actual coin itself has nothing positive going for it.

• Options

@johnny010 said:

@alaura22 said:

@1madman said:

@alaura22
    Can you explain what appears is an obvious answer to me and the logic behind the thought please?

I don't understand the question you're asking?

• Options

@ricko said:
    @alaura22... The 64 grade surprised me.... Thought 62, best case 63.... Did you buy it?? Cheers, RickO

No, not yet....................... :o

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22
    I have never been a gold collector or even short term holder, but I think it to be an attractive coin and have no problem with the grade. I have seen worse in 64 holders and with the amount of luster your coin shows, I feel inhand the scratches would not be distracting. With the size enlargement of roughly 3 times +, photos tend to blow up scratches/marks. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2023 12:00PM

@jesbroken said:
    @alaura22
    I have never been a gold collector or even short term holder, but I think it to be an attractive coin and have no problem with the grade. I have seen worse in 64 holders and with the amount of luster your coin shows, I feel inhand the scratches would not be distracting. With the size enlargement of roughly 3 times +, photos tend to blow up scratches/marks. JMO
    Jim

Thank you Jim, I agree

• Options

@johnny010 said:

@alaura22 said:

@1madman said:

@alaura22

Yes
    You said, “I get it, but you really don't put rare coins in a type set, do you?”

I’m trying to understand this thought better.

• Options

@johnny010 said:

@johnny010 said:

@alaura22 said:

@1madman said:

@alaura22

Yes
    You said, “I get it, but you really don't put rare coins in a type set, do you?”

Typically for a "type set" you choose a common date coin to fill the slot. For a regular set you can raise the grade and include rare coins to boost your ratings

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@johnny010 said:

@johnny010 said:

@alaura22 said:

@1madman said:

@alaura22

Yes

Typically for a "type set" you choose a common date coin to fill the slot. For a regular set you can raise the grade and include rare coins to boost your ratings

Ok thanks
    I have never heard this.

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@1madman said:

@alaura22 said:

@skier07 said:

Funny you mention this because the coin is clearly a dog in a 64 holder. You must have been attracted to the old holder or the cac sticker, because the actual coin itself has nothing positive going for it.

If at the right price, I will take "All the Dogs" out their.
    Everybody is entitiled to their own opinion, but calling it a DOG?

What I’m getting at is everyone here guessed the grade lower than what pcgs assigned it. Your pictures are fine, we see the coin for what it is. The long streak-like hits or black tone on the obverse really ruin the coins eye appeal. If it was in a pcgs au58 holder with a green cac sticker, I’d say it was fairly graded. Being in a 64 holder, you’re lucky you asked all of us to save you from buying this widget. Buy a nice $20 maybe from the late 1800s with a mintmark for the type set.

• Options

Obviously, I've seen the punchline, but I would have guessed MS62, maybe 63.

• Options

@1madman said:

@alaura22 said:

@1madman said:

@alaura22 said:

@skier07 said:

What I’m getting at is everyone here guessed the grade lower than what pcgs assigned it. Your pictures are fine, we see the coin for what it is. The long streak-like hits or black tone on the obverse really ruin the coins eye appeal. If it was in a pcgs au58 holder with a green cac sticker, I’d say it was fairly graded. Being in a 64 holder, you’re lucky you asked all of us to save you from buying this widget. Buy a nice $20 maybe from the late 1800s with a mintmark for the type set.

I am looking at this coin for the Everyman Mint 20th Century Type Set, so you're suggestions won't fit in this set. I do have regular type sets going and Yes I have higher graded coins in those sets.
    Currently I have 92 registry sets going, 29 are complete. Been doing this for many years so I know how to do it :)
    Thanks for your imput,
    As far as the grade, there are some that liked it at that grade,

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

@alaura22 said:

@1madman said:

@alaura22 said:

@skier07 said:

People seem to guess too low, often significantly so, on almost every GTG thread. I wouldn’t take the average guess to indicate very much. This coin would be quite undergraded in a 58 holder.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me it has a 63 obverse and a 65 reverse. That IMO is why it got a 64. Common date but like you said, if the price is right it's worthy of acquisition.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@Rexford said:

@1madman said:

@alaura22 said:

@1madman said:

@alaura22 said:

@skier07 said:

People seem to guess too low, often significantly so, on almost every GTG thread. I wouldn’t take the average guess to indicate very much. This coin would be quite undergraded in a 58 holder.

I look at this as a great accomplishment to say the coin community here is picky and not settling for over graded trash coins in the market. You have to scrutinize coins and don’t just settle for the grade on the label. PCGS gets it wrong, CAC gets it wrong, NGC gets it wrong. They’re human.

• Options

@d9lowe said:
    64 CAC. I just bought a 64 CAC same year off GC the other day and it looks better than this coin. Unless you can get a deal, pass on this. Too much chatter for the grade.

This is one of the more interesting posts/quotes I’ve read in a while. Guy bought a better example in the same grade/sticker, and still guessed the grade of the OP coin correctly. Very good job. Not sure how much more clear the point has to be made that this coin is a C coin or subpar for the grade.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably some great luster on that one in hand. Another reason why certification can protect the owner when they go to sell. I remember that ad in Coin World by PCGS: a picture in and out of the holder, with "wishful thinking" below the uncertified coin. Buyers always do the critical analysis on raw coins.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect gold either. Get a coin you think is attractive and priced right for a type set and forget the rest. I got a nice 38 D Buffalo nickel with attractive toning. You do what works for you.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was 64, that’s what I have in my type set, I think it looks nice for a 64…

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s mine, also OGH

• Options
    Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Love the color but the obverse notable digs make me think 62-63; especially around Liberty's face and the last star. Certainly a nice coin but is the price as nice or nicer?

WAY back when PCGS was issuing what we now call or called OGH, I had a policy of buying a scarcer date and I would give up a tad on the MS grade. Now, I realize that I WAS putting the coin in a type set but back then I selected the better date/mint anyway. I haven't really "lost" much in value nowadays but I was just a dumb "scarce date" lover in my ill-informed 30's (or was it 40's or older)??? Hey...big slap...I'm OLDER than dirt now at 72! Still have that darned MS 64 OGH in my Type Set.

What WAS I thinking??!! 😲 Anyway, don't let the beautiful color and luster misguide your final decision.

Piano1

• Options

@1madman said:

@d9lowe said:

This is one of the more interesting posts/quotes I’ve read in a while. Guy bought a better example in the same grade/sticker, and still guessed the grade of the OP coin correctly. Very good job. Not sure how much more clear the point has to be made that this coin is a C coin or subpar for the grade.

What is really interesting is that I can't find the coin that's he's (d9lowe) talking about. He said he bought it a "the other day on GC" no record of that coin in the archives. I PMed him but got no response, yet.
    I am curious to see that coin as well so I can compare it to this one. I believe that the GC archives are up to date because it showed the 4 coins that I bought " the other day"

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@1madman said:

@d9lowe said:

What is really interesting is that I can't find the coin that's he's (d9lowe) talking about. He said he bought it a "the other day on GC" no record of that coin in the archives. I PMed him but got no response, yet.
    I am curious to see that coin as well so I can compare it to this one. I believe that the GC archives are up to date because it showed the 4 coins that I bought " the other day"

Sorry if I’m looking at the incorrect coin, but this is an option:

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1366494/1904-Liberty-Gold-Double-Eagle-PCGS-MS-64-CAC-OGH-1st-Gen

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looked like a 64 to me. These large gold coins tend to have more bag marks than a silver coin, I think it is because gold is so much softer. But anyways, after looking at a bunch of 58s of this series for my circulated type sets I came to realize and expect them to have lots of bag marks and still get good grades.

Mr_Spud

• Options

@1madman said:

@alaura22 said:

@1madman said:

@d9lowe said:

Sorry if I’m looking at the incorrect coin, but this is an option:

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1366494/1904-Liberty-Gold-Double-Eagle-PCGS-MS-64-CAC-OGH-1st-Gen

I saw that coin, and the 73 others that they have sold over the years in this grade.
    Do you really think that coin is so much better then the one I'm looking at?
    And, he said "the other day" the coin you showed was from May 14, not the "other day"
    Whatever, it really doesn't matter,

@1madman said:

@Rexford said:

@1madman said:

@alaura22 said:

@1madman said:

@alaura22 said:

@skier07 said:

I look at this as a great accomplishment to say the coin community here is picky and not settling for over graded trash coins in the market. You have to scrutinize coins and don’t just settle for the grade on the label. PCGS gets it wrong, CAC gets it wrong, NGC gets it wrong. They’re human.

You left out YOU, you can also get it wrong
    Ill take the experience of PCGS and JA @ CAC to grade the coin as well as myself

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file