Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

nevermind

Comments

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2023 8:44PM

silverpop or whomever it is now, what a worthless stain on this hobby.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2023 9:23PM

Colin Dickerson, a class act. 👏
    My short list of sellers I'd never deal with has just added a name.
    Over $110?
    Man, this reminds me of that Dave Chappelle skit "When Keepin' it Real Goes Wrong."
    I'll never understand the hills people choose to die on.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

At this pace he’ll be the most LOLed person on the forum. I wonder why. :D

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

My brother, its $110. Just pay it back :s

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    I do not deal with BST sales, that do not allow for them to be paid via reg. PP. Never had an issue. This could have been avoidable if done so.

Agree. 3% for the safety and "insurance" of the charge back.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad..... Seller has responsibility - fact, not opinion. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed, very disappointing to read all of this…. :s

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time for a bump

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does silverpop sell items on ebay? Though one does have some protection as a buyer there, just sayin'......

----- kj
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy deserves a good spanking!! BUMP

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ponderit said:
    silverpop, please respond to my last 7 or 8 messages regarding the 2 Mercs I bought from you but which never arrived via USPS. You're well aware that these never got here as per USPS. I've sent you all the communications I've had with them. You didn't ship these with insurance and your excuse for not doing so is lame. You will not communicate with me by either email or PM here on the forum. I saw your post about your new Morgan and at least know you're still alive.

I've done hundreds of transactions here on the BST and have NEVER had any problems, certainly nothing as remotely as screwed up as this has been with you. Many of the forum members know me and have sold coins to me, never with a problem.

For those wondering, I offered Colin $110 for 2 Mercs he listed on the BST. He agreed, wanted a check, I sent the check, it cleared and he sent the coins. Then the coins went missing with the last updates from USPS on 3/30 "out for delivery" and then on 3/31 "Alert: Awaiting delivery scan". That's the last info I've gotten. I talked to the PO 3 times early on. Their guess is the package was destroyed "due to a spill". Apparently they had a couple of liquid breakages around that time. As far as I know that might be true or the thing was stolen. Either way, Colin has the money and I have no coins.

When I asked Colin if he had insured the package his response was "no, if I had it would have been more pricey". Had he asked me I would have paid for the insurance.

I've sent him numerous inquiries both by PM here on the forum and to his email address. He hasn't responded for over a month. My guess is I'm screwed on the $110. I know this isn't his fault and neither is it mine. I wish he'd insured the package and for the life of me I can't imagine not insuring it unless as the seller I was willing to self-insure and hope for the best.

Sorry to do this here and I expect blow-back from some of you, but I'm totally frustrated with silverpop's lack of communication. Maybe he'll see this one...

Bill

Seller is obviously responsible for making this right if the package cannot be found. Just curious if you have talked to your actual postmaster to see if he/she can initiate a search. It was apparently out for delivery, meaning it was on someone's truck... but the driver never scanned it as delivered. Priority mail shipping I assume? Or was it first class with some sort of tracking added? Physical address or PO Box?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:

... have talked to your actual postmaster - I talked to the branch 3 times, the supervisor twice early on and she did initiate a search but didn't find it. She thought very possibly it was involved in a spill from a broken package. I feel like she really did go out of her way to be helpful and do everything she could.
    ... it was apparently out for delivery, meaning it was on someone's truck - PO told me that "out for delivery" doesn't necessarily mean it was actually on the truck when given that designation. On a side-note, I've had the same carrier for 15 years or so. He's delivered hundreds if not thousands of packages to us in that time (mostly my wife's :) ), never had a problem.
    ... priority mail shipping I assume? Or was it first class with some sort of tracking added? Physical address or PO Box? - I asked Colin how it was sent, answer, "first class retail mail package with tracking #". It was addressed to my physical address...

I asked Colin several times via email and PM to file a lost / stolen claim as the PO suggested. He's not communicated with me since early April so I have no idea if he did or not. I highly doubt it, he's got my money, I think that's all he cares about. With the package being uninsured First Class I don't know if a claim could be filed anyway.

Anyway, I appreciate the questions but I feel like I did everything I could do to get info from the PO, and having a seller like this is one of the more frustrating things I've dealt with in a long time.

I have zero hope that I'll ever see a dime (modern / circulated) let alone the $110. I messed up and trusted someone I didn't know on the BST. As others have stated, the No Paypal / personal check only should have caused me concern but it didn't. I'm a trusting person by nature and this time it cost me, he's not trustworthy. I've made peace with it and as I said in my original post, Karma's a Bitch.

Again, thank you all for your support,
    Bill

Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ponderit said:

I asked Colin several times via email and PM to file a lost / stolen claim as the PO suggested. He's not communicated with me since early April so I have no idea if he did or not. I highly doubt it, he's got my money, I think that's all he cares about. With the package being uninsured First Class I don't know if a claim could be filed anyway.

Anyway, I appreciate the questions but I feel like I did everything I could do to get info from the PO, and having a seller like this is one of the more frustrating things I've dealt with in a long time.

I have zero hope that I'll ever see a dime (modern / circulated) let alone the $110. I messed up and trusted someone I didn't know on the BST. As others have stated, the No Paypal / personal check only should have caused me concern but it didn't. I'm a trusting person by nature and this time it cost me, he's not trustworthy. I've made peace with it and as I said in my original post, Karma's a Bitch.

Again, thank you all for your support,
    Bill

>
    If uninsured there is nothing to claim against. Unfortunate. My first thought was a porch pirate after delivery since no signature was required.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paying by personal check is nor an issue. I used personal checks for my transactions buying from members. Once the check cleared they SENT the coins.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@ponderit said:
    silverpop, please respond to my last 7 or 8 messages regarding the 2 Mercs I bought from you but which never arrived via USPS. You're well aware that these never got here as per USPS. I've sent you all the communications I've had with them. You didn't ship these with insurance and your excuse for not doing so is lame. You will not communicate with me by either email or PM here on the forum. I saw your post about your new Morgan and at least know you're still alive.

I've done hundreds of transactions here on the BST and have NEVER had any problems, certainly nothing as remotely as screwed up as this has been with you. Many of the forum members know me and have sold coins to me, never with a problem.

For those wondering, I offered Colin $110 for 2 Mercs he listed on the BST. He agreed, wanted a check, I sent the check, it cleared and he sent the coins. Then the coins went missing with the last updates from USPS on 3/30 "out for delivery" and then on 3/31 "Alert: Awaiting delivery scan". That's the last info I've gotten. I talked to the PO 3 times early on. Their guess is the package was destroyed "due to a spill". Apparently they had a couple of liquid breakages around that time. As far as I know that might be true or the thing was stolen. Either way, Colin has the money and I have no coins.

When I asked Colin if he had insured the package his response was "no, if I had it would have been more pricey". Had he asked me I would have paid for the insurance.

I've sent him numerous inquiries both by PM here on the forum and to his email address. He hasn't responded for over a month. My guess is I'm screwed on the $110. I know this isn't his fault and neither is it mine. I wish he'd insured the package and for the life of me I can't imagine not insuring it unless as the seller I was willing to self-insure and hope for the best.

Sorry to do this here and I expect blow-back from some of you, but I'm totally frustrated with silverpop's lack of communication. Maybe he'll see this one...

Bill

This is unacceptable and totally lame on the seller's part who should be reimbursing you in full. Until tracking shows a package is delivered, it is the responsibility of the seller to make the buyer whole in the event the package doesn't arrive. Whether insurance was purchased or not is irrelevant.

Sounds like neither stepped up and discussed whether the package would be insured or not. That it was assumed it would be insured......this matter usually gets attention or it should have been brought up when the price and how the payment is to be made. The seller may be a youngster or with little experience and may not understand how the real world works. And this could be said about the buyer, making certain insurance was added.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    My brother, its $110. Just pay it back :s

it’s the right thing to do

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    It's just a head scratcher. $110 can be made back (and more) in a single transaction. Throwing it all away, his reputation... for the cost of dinner and drinks for two at Applebee's. It's beyond strange and hard to believe.

I think everyone is missing the point
    HE DOESN'T THINK HE DID ANYTHING WRONG!
    That's the problem
    I don't think anyboby will be able to convice him otherwise
    I hope he mans up, but, I'm not holding my breath.................

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭

Well, you won’t be able get in touch with him anymore,
    he has deleted his profile. I
    Too new to know how this affects his standing on the forum.

• Options

@Greenstang said:
    Well, you won’t be able get in touch with him anymore,
    he has deleted his profile. I
    Too new to know how this affects his standing on the forum.

Good, his reputation was toast anyway, good riddance.......

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure that any further piling on is going to change anything here. The seller is by now aware of the forum consensus and can choose how to proceed.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Paying by personal check is nor an issue. I used personal checks for my transactions buying from members. Once the check cleared they SENT the coins.

And you have no recourse if the coin doesn't arrive or is never sent. The personal check protects the seller not the buyer.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2023 6:00PM

I had a package ripped open somewhere enroute to me.

Since the tracking showed delivered the seller wouldn't do anything about it. I can see where silverpop is coming from. After a few times of the buyer saying he didn't get it should be enough tho. Mine was bought off Ebay instead of BST

Ken
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:
    I had a package ripped open somewhere enroute to me.

Since the tracking showed delivered the seller wouldn't do anything about it. I can see where silverpop is coming from. After a few times of the buyer saying he didn't get it should be enough tho. Mine was bought off Ebay instead of BST

That’s another argument for insurance.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it is @MFeld !!

Ken
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't imagine why neither discussed the insurance on sending the coin. I don't care who I deal with, I have always asked that question. It's my money I'm sending, I want insured. why would I not see that end of the transaction is taken care I'm not going to just assume it's taken care of It is a good idea to make certain the money you spend is insured and not just assume it is or will be. It is not known whether the seller is incapacitated in some way, mentally or physically, regardless> @MFeld said:

@leothelyon said:

@grote15 said:

@ponderit said:

Bill

This is unacceptable and totally lame on the seller's part who should be reimbursing you in full. Until tracking shows a package is delivered, it is the responsibility of the seller to make the buyer whole in the event the package doesn't arrive. Whether insurance was purchased or not is irrelevant.

Sounds like neither stepped up and discussed whether the package would be insured or not. That it was assumed it would be insured......this matter usually gets attention or it should have been brought up when the price and how the payment is to be made. The seller may be a youngster or with little experience and may not understand how the real world works. And this could be said about the buyer, making certain insurance was added.

Leo

Once paid for the merchandise, the seller is obligated to get it into the hands of the buyer. He’s free to take the risk of not insuring the package, but the risk doesn’t transfer to the buyer. If the seller wanted the risk to rest upon the buyer, it was incumbent upon him to make that clear to the buyer. It doesn’t sound as if the seller did that.

Where does the buyer take responsibility? It was his money he should have wanted/seen to it that it was insured. It's a very simple question. But the buyer didn't ask about the insurance until his coins failed to show up. lol
    Another problem may be, perhaps the seller is incapacitated in some way, mentally or physically and in all reality, shouldn't be conducting transactions entirely by themselves.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2023 10:18PM

@leothelyon said:
    I can't imagine why neither discussed the insurance on sending the coin. I don't care who I deal with, I have always asked that question. It's my money I'm sending, I want insured. why would I not see that end of the transaction is taken care I'm not going to just assume it's taken care of It is a good idea to make certain the money you spend is insured and not just assume it is or will be. It is not known whether the seller is incapacitated in some way, mentally or physically, regardless> @MFeld said:

@leothelyon said:

@grote15 said:

@ponderit said:

Bill

Leo

Once paid for the merchandise, the seller is obligated to get it into the hands of the buyer. He’s free to take the risk of not insuring the package, but the risk doesn’t transfer to the buyer. If the seller wanted the risk to rest upon the buyer, it was incumbent upon him to make that clear to the buyer. It doesn’t sound as if the seller did that.

Where does the buyer take responsibility? It was his money he should have wanted/seen to it that it was insured. It's a very simple question. But the buyer didn't ask about the insurance until his coins failed to show up. lol
    Another problem may be, perhaps the seller is incapacitated in some way, mentally or physically and in all reality, shouldn't be conducting transactions entirely by themselves.

Leo

In what way does the insurance benefit the buyer? I’m confused by your point. In an insurance settlement, the money goes to the seller.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

" In what way does the insurance benefit the buyer? I’m confused by your point. In an insurance settlement, the money goes to the seller. "

Exactly. While insurance may be the way to go in many cases, it still depends on a co-operative seller. The seller is the one who purchases the insurance when shipping. If a claim is to be made on the shipment, it is the seller who has to initiate the claim. If the claim is paid, it is the seller who gets reimbursed. Then, in a perfect world, the seller refunds the money to the buyer (if not already done so.)

Years ago.... I purchased a coin that was sent insured. Never received it.... notified the seller. The seller said he sent the coin insured, so it was now up to me to 'file' a claim and followup on it. Yeah, right!! I don't remember if I succeeded in convincing the person to file a claim or not.... or perhaps had to eat the loss.

----- kj
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insurance protects the seller so he can refund the buyer.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@crazyhounddog said:
    Insurance protects the seller so he can refund the buyer.

Insurance enriches the shipper...

The seller doesn't need 3rd party insurance to guarantee delivery to the buyer.

This was $100 sale. I would never buy insurance at that level. But I would ALWAYS refund the buyer.

The bigger mistake here is engaging in a cash transaction. None of this happens if the buyer insists on a PP transaction.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2023 7:46AM

In most cases, the shipping charges are going to be well below what the items are worth anyway. The buyers money should have been saved by the seller until the buyer received the items.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had successful purchases with him in the past, but I certainly would think twice about it now.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Understanding and knowing shipping terms and laws is fundamental if wading into the realm of buying and selling where shipping is involved. Terms to be familiar with "Free on board" known as FOB, "FOB Origin" and "FOB Destination."

See North America under this link for guidance of the above terms and their meaning with examples: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOB_(shipping)

Knowing who's paying for shipping as a separate cost for the item being purchased and shipped helps in determining whether FOB Destination or FOB Origin is applicable, thus when transference of responsibility occurs between Seller to Buyer and who files insurance claims against the shipper.

People and businesses weigh the cost of a transaction and their reputation; doing the right thing doesn't always equate to what the laws says but the law doesn't prevent the Seller from making the Buyer whole inorder to retain the Seller's good name.

Peace!

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

This discussion has been closed.