Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

nevermind

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad state of affairs. I self insure anything under a grand. Take the risk and just do the refund if necessary. Cost of doing business is returns and refunds or non-deliveries and refunds.
    It's a shame when a deal gets blown up by the delivery service but it does happen. Not every transaction can be done face to face as in a perfect world. The internet has been both beneficial and negative. In one case we get to see and buy coins that otherwise would not come up on our radar. On the other hand we are dealing with people we have never met and take risks we otherwise would never do.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @telephoto1. It’s the principle of this mess. I would go out of my way to inconvenience, Mr. @silverpop. He’s lucky it’s not me cause I’m retired and have all the time in the world to go way out of my way to right this wrong.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    I agree with @telephoto1. It’s the principle of this mess. I would go out of my way to inconvenience, Mr. @silverpop. He’s lucky it’s not me cause I’m retired and have all the time in the world to go way out of my way to right this wrong.

I'm retired also
    Right with you!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still disappointing to read. Worthy of a bump.. >:)

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭

He may not be able to make sales on this site but he is still selling on Coin Talk.
    Just made a sale to a member last Saturday.

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

@Greenstang said:
    He may not be able to make sales on this site but he is still selling on Coin Talk.

It’s just so surprising that many people are willing to pay him in a way that offers no protection at all.

I’ve been burned before, and it’s a crummy feeling. A helpless feeling. Unfortunately, people like this always find a way to thrive.

I’m sure he’s done with this site, but obviously he’s still selling elsewhere.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeLewis said:

@Greenstang said:

It’s just so surprising that many people are willing to pay him in a way that offers no protection at all.

It's even more surprising to me that some people will continue to give him business knowing what he did to a fellow member. This guy should be persona non grata.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:

@Greenstang said:

I linked this thread over on CT in the For Sale section.

Love this! Not all heroes wear capes, thank you for your service good sir. 🫡

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

For those that don't have a CoinTalk login, that thread is in the general section (and requires one to login).
    Here is the post:

🤦🏼‍♂️

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

At some point this is just piling on...

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

He sent me a pm over at CT.

"let's see your legal proof of these opinions cause i'm going to love to see this

when i say legal proof i mean legal papers from a court saying that all those opinions are true and i have the right to ask for that proof so let's see it"

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I dislike how that person has acted, a PM should remain private.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like how he insists he has "rights" even as he ignores the rights of his customer. :#

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭

&m> @MFeld said:

As much as I dislike how that person has acted, a PM should remain private.

A
    Private conversation is only private if both parties agree. If some
    One is bulling a person in PM he has no expiation that it will remain silent.
    It not like your communicating with your doc, wife, or attorney

Just saying

My father in law once gave
    Me
    Some
    Advice don’t get in a tiff with an old retired guy. He has nothing better to do than screw with you.

Seems there is a few of them here.

I’m glad bosshog outed him on CT.

Martin

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2023 7:35PM

Not to stir the pot here, but didn't he put IN THE ADD that he was not liable for anything after dropping it at the PO and the seller needed to get insurance, if so desired?

At least that's what he used to do. I'd love to see the original add.....

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:
    Not to stir the pot here, but didn't he put IN THE ADD that he was not liable for anything after dropping it at the PO and the seller needed to get insurance, if so desired?

By "ADD", I assume you mean "listing". A couple of days before this blew-up, I bought his 1937 buffalo nickel in PCGS MS66 for $56. His listing made it abundantly clear that he wouldn't buy insurance and once he mailed my coin he would send me a tracking number and then any problems would be between me and the USPS. I thought this was a rather strange way of conducting business but I was willing to assume the risk of not getting the coin because the USPS lost it, stole it, or destroyed it with their equipment. Once he got my check a couple of days ago, he contacted me to let me know the check arrived, he reiterated the terms that we agreed to, and then he gave me a chance to back out of the deal. I told him that I was willing to self-insure for such an inexpensive coin and to go ahead and mail my coin. The tracking for my coin shows that it will be delivered sometime today. If for some reason I don't get it, I promise you guys that I won't start a thread here whining about it. His terms were very clear and I agreed to them and as a responsible adult I'll live with the consequences.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@SurfinxHI said:

By "ADD", I assume you mean "listing". A couple of days before this blew-up, I bought his 1937 buffalo nickel in PCGS MS66 for $56. His listing made it abundantly clear that he wouldn't buy insurance and once he mailed my coin he would send me a tracking number and then any problems would be between me and the USPS. I thought this was a rather strange way of conducting business but I was willing to assume the risk of not getting the coin because the USPS lost it, stole it, or destroyed it with their equipment. Once he got my check a couple of days ago, he contacted me to let me know the check arrived, he reiterated the terms that we agreed to, and then he gave me a chance to back out of the deal. I told him that I was willing to self-insure for such an inexpensive coin and to go ahead and mail my coin. The tracking for my coin shows that it will be delivered sometime today. If for some reason I don't get it, I promise you guys that I won't start a thread here whining about it. His terms were very clear and I agreed to them and as a responsible adult I'll live with the consequences.

There is always "the other side to the story".

If, in fact, @ponderit agreed to the same terms then a few dozen people owe @silverpop a bit of an apology.

If you don't like the terms, then don't agree to them.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been buying coins from silverpop since at least 2019.

As I stated in an earlier thread, he always made it perfectly clear that once the post office had the package he was mailing to me, he was no longer responsible for any loss. I told him that I had no problem with that, because my loss of money would be minimal if the coin(s) were lost in transit.

Also, his prices for what he was selling his coins, were among the best on our BST in my opinion. Well worth the risk to me.

As far as pay pal goes, I can understand why many old school people do not use it. I just started using pay pal myself a couple of years ago. Silverpop deals in cash and checks only. I can understand that, and have no problem with it.

In all of my dealing with silverpop, after he received my checks, he promply mailed my coins and sent me a tracking number. All coins arrived safe and sound.

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2023 7:01AM

Man. If @ponderit agreed to those terms, then this whole thing is really messed up. I would like to think that he would have mentioned that!

It’s also possible @silverpop started adding that disclaimer to his listings because of the issues with the shipment to @ponderit.

• Options
    edited May 11, 2023 7:26AM

@JoeLewis said:
    Man. If @ponderit agreed to those terms, then this whole thing is really messed up. I would like to think that he would have mentioned that!

It’s also possible @silverpop started adding that disclaimer to his listings because of the issues with the shipment to @ponderit.

I don't think so since the recent testimonials are for older transactions. @CoinHoarder has transactions going back to 2019. Scroll up.

• Options

@ponderit said:
    dbldie, I've never been smart enough to be an attorney, and I'm not a lawsuit kind of guy

In response to @jmlanzaf's supposition that the listing must have contained a shipping disclaimer, if it did don't you think silverpop would have been all over the thread. He was not. And as I mentioned earlier, if it did I would have never even made an offer.

I made no such supposition. Several forum regulars indicated that @silverpop BST listings have a had that disclaimer going back years. I simply indicated that IF that were true, the story is quite different. [Unfortunately, silverpop deletes the listings when they sell, so we'll never know for certain. ]

Since you called me out, I will say that I have a problem with this public bashing.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2023 8:36AM

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

@SurfinxHI said:

If, in fact, @ponderit agreed to the same terms then a few dozen people owe @silverpop a bit of an apology.

I'm relatively sure the terms don't say "I get to keep your money whether you get the item or not"...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be curious if he had an ebay account and if ebay allowed the same stipulations that he is enforcing on the BST.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2023 10:27AM

1. Free shipping = FOB Destination.

(Cost of shipping is inclusive of the price of the coin)

FOB Destination, the seller is responsible until coin is delivered to buyer's door step and received. Seller is responsible to make buyer whole if coin is lost or damaged during shipping.

2. Separate line/cost for shipping = FOB Origin.

(cost of shipping is in addition to or exclusive to the price of the coin).

FOB Origin, seller's responsibility passes to the buyer once the coin is in the shipper's possession. Also, becomes the buyer's responsibility to file any claim with shipper if package not received or item is damaged.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOB_(shipping)

For obvious reasons FOB Destination is the preferred method as a buyer.

It all depends on shipping terms, which should correlate to how shipping costs were charged and paid for e.g. inclusive or exclusive of the coin(s) price.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    I have been buying coins from silverpop since at least 2019.

As I stated in an earlier thread, he always made it perfectly clear that once the post office had the package he was mailing to me, he was no longer responsible for any loss. I told him that I had no problem with that, because my loss of money would be minimal if the coin(s) were lost in transit.

Also, his prices for what he was selling his coins, were among the best on our BST in my opinion. Well worth the risk to me.

As far as pay pal goes, I can understand why many old school people do not use it. I just started using pay pal myself a couple of years ago. Silverpop deals in cash and checks only. I can understand that, and have no problem with it.

In all of my dealing with silverpop, after he received my checks, he promply mailed my coins and sent me a tracking number. All coins arrived safe and sound.

Where I come from it’s the sellers responsibility to make sure the buyer receives the item. If not the buyer should be made whole. It’s just as simple as that. @ponderit has said he did NOT agree to any deal like you have mentioned. The seller doesn’t have a good leg to stand on. No matter how you look at it it’s completely wrong. I think anyone that would agree to a deal like mentioned @CoinHoarder is going to go broke fast cause there are people that are just thieves at heart.
    This kinda deal would NEVER fly on eBay so what’s the difference here on BST besides no one to enforce the right thing to do?
    This deal @ponderit has to eat dirt.
    It’s stinks so damn bad I need a respirator!
    My humble opinion.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

@SurfinxHI said:

I'm relatively sure the terms don't say "I get to keep your money whether you get the item or not"...

According to at least two posters (I can't know), the terms say that shipping is at the buyer's risk. I would be interested in hearing from others who have done business with him as to whether that was his standard practice.

• Options

@USMC_6115 said:
    What happened? Last time I checked this thread, it was mostly unanimous that Colin should "make it right." Now there's a bunch of flip flopping.. IMO, this is still wrong on every level. Colin's moral behavior of not making this right and outright awful communication completely ignoring Bill is far beyond being okay! Just because it worked out for some members, doesn't make it okay to screw Bill! JMHO

It really comes down to what the terms were at the time of the sale. IF IF IF the terms are "shipping at buyer's risk", it is a very different story.

NOTE:
    1. I don't know. I've never done business with him.
    2. That doesn't mean that Colin is either nice, a good communicator, etc.

But if I accept the risk of shipping, it's not really fair for me to shift it later. [IF IF IF that's what happened.]

I NEVER would have done business under either term (check payment or assuming the risk myself). However, to me, it does matter what the ORIGINAL terms were and what was agreed to. @CoinHoarder says that Colin has been specifying that shipping risk is the buyer's going back to 2019. If true, doesn't that make this a different kettle of fish?

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@USMC_6115 said:
    What happened? Last time I checked this thread, it was mostly unanimous that Colin should "make it right." Now there's a bunch of flip flopping.. IMO, this is still wrong on every level. Colin's moral behavior of not making this right and outright awful communication completely ignoring Bill is far beyond being okay! Just because it worked out for some members, doesn't make it okay to screw Bill! JMHO

It really comes down to what the terms were at the time of the sale. IF IF IF the terms are "shipping at buyer's risk", it is a very different story.

NOTE:
    1. I don't know. I've never done business with him.
    2. That doesn't mean that Colin is either nice, a good communicator, etc.

But if I accept the risk of shipping, it's not really fair for me to shift it later. [IF IF IF that's what happened.]

I NEVER would have done business under either term (check payment or assuming the risk myself). However, to me, it does matter what the ORIGINAL terms were and what was agreed to. @CoinHoarder says that Colin has been specifying that shipping risk is the buyer's going back to 2019. If true, doesn't that make this a different kettle of fish?

It appears that Colin may have selectively added that disclaimer to some listings, and not others. Based on the original account of Ponderit, of whom we have no reason to question, and the lack of defense by Colin in the thread, it was apparent to me that the disclaimer was not present in the listing. If that were the case, Colin could have told him flat out that those were the terms he agreed to, rather than ignore 7 or 8 pms before making his account private.

As you previously stated, it is unfortunate that Colin deleted the BST post, which in this case would have helped had the disclosure been there to begin with, which imo is annoying in its own right. I don't see how it serves anyone to wipe a listing entirely, its one thing if you want to remove the price but I'm of the opinion that BST listings should remain in tact for posterity and situations such as this one.

• Options
    LazybonesLazybones Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm puzzled by this. I have had many successful transactions with Colin. It would be a shame if this was not resolved amicably.

USAF (Ret) 1974 - 1994 - The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries. Remembering RickO, a brother in arms.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

All I know is that the buyer here reached out to the seller and said seller can't even be bothered to try to do something as simple as searching with USPS from his end. The indifference and now flat out disappearance of the seller pretty much tells me what I need to know.

As an aside, the CT thread mentioned earlier has been poofed I believe.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
This discussion has been closed.