I'm Torn - Purchasing Advice (What would you do?)
I primarily collect half cents. I am about 2/3 of the way through a modified date set that also captures some of the popular varieties. I have been very dedicated to my set, and it has been fun to watch it grow from one type coin to what now look like a partial set. In 2023 I made a commitment to myself to maintain a laser focus to make greater progress - faster. This has been great, and I am proud of how things are shaping up.
Then this happened...
My buddy retired. He has a great collection that is massive with lots of rarities and high grade coins. He is looking to sell-off his collection in retirement, and he has agreed to allow me to look at his coins and pick those in which I am interested. There are so many beautiful coins, but... not many half cents that fit into my set. However, because we are friends, I am sure that I will get great coins at very friendly prices... certainly better than coin shows, shops, and likely auctions.
and... so my inner turmoil ping-pongs...
- Staying focused will get me to my half cent goal faster
- But, if I stay focused... I will miss out on great, high quality coins from my friend
- But... there are many high quality half cent examples today that are still needed.. will I lose those if I divert my attention?
- But... the cost of those coins are not "bargains" compared to greysheet bid
- But... what will I do after half cents? Shouldn't I buy nice coins at nice prices instead of buying them later at full boat?
- But.... I am not fully committed on what my next series will be (yet), shouldn't I be resolute before moving forward?
- etc etc etc... my brain goes on and on.
What would you do?
I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.