Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's going on with this Buffalo 5¢ - Update in First Post

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 4, 2023 4:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Picked this up recently, it's in PCGS AU58 plastic. What do you think is happening in the two areas pointed out in the pics below? Clip? PMD? There is no mention of any error or damage on the slab label or on the coin's verification page at the PCGS website.

You guys were right, as always. Didn't want to wait until March though. Got it back from our hosts today. Fun stuff.

Comments

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭

That poor die... That was one tired and used die. Your coin has so much personality I am surprised it has not started talking to you.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minor but a still cool clip

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most definitely a clip. Nice by itself but being on a better date makes it a coin I'd like to own!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A rim clip indeed....Nice find and I would get the slab label updated. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

As stated, that is a minor rim clip. Does the label say clip, or is it not noted as an error?

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

It also could be an early die state for the 3-1/2 legger. Every 16-D 3HL I've found has the same kind of obverse deterioration, including the die crack under the date. Reverse deterioration is not as advanced as on the variety.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one used and abused way worn out die. Probably one of the most used I’ve ever seen. I agree with the planchet being clipped. All told it’s a very cool coin👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Ok cool, thanks for the info folks. I'll bring it with me in March to Phoenix and see if PCGS will reholder with the clip mentioned on the label.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote 100% clip. Nice!!

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a rim clip, as others have noted.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:
    Ok cool, thanks for the info folks. I'll bring it with me in March to Phoenix and see if PCGS will reholder with the clip mentioned on the label.

Maybe? Note that pcgs is currently not grading at the ANA Phoenix show in March so don't know about it being done there. Also pcgs has a mint error submission level that is normally used to get errors denoted. I believe then it will have an error coin number.

Link for ANA Phoenix show.
    https://www.pcgs.com/shows/detail/6715

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@lilolme said:

@Cladiator said:

Maybe? Note that pcgs is currently not grading at the ANA Phoenix show in March so don't know about it being done there. Also pcgs has a mint error submission level that is normally used to get errors denoted. I believe then it will have an error coin number.

Link for ANA Phoenix show.
    https://www.pcgs.com/shows/detail/6715

Yeah I wasn't planning on getting it back in Phoenix, just submitting it (under whatever level is needed to get the clip on the label). I'm fine with them mailing it back to me as a Christmas present lol.

• Options

You guys were right, as always. Didn't want to wait until March though. Got it back from our hosts today. Fun stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file