johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

All-

What coins would you buy
1) if you spent $2500 or less
2) “” $5000 or less
3) “”$8k or less
4) $10k or less

I do prefer graded coins.

Assume you only buy one coin within each band.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your money, or my money? ;)

So, f those amounts were there just for one coin, and that's all I could ever use the money for ...

My money? There are a couple Die Marriages I would entertain at each level, all Capped Bust Halves in AU55 or AU58. There might be something else in there too.

Your money? Let me know and I'll look and ask around! :D

B)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:
    All-

What coins would you buy
    2) “” $5000 or less
    3) “”$8k or less
    4) $10k or less

Thanks

These are just the current top of my shopping list for each of those price ranges....but the list is lengthy and expensive.

1 - Proof 3c Silver in 65ish
    2 - Trade Dollar Pattern (probably J-1310)
    3 - $3 in 63ish
    4 - Indian Head $10 in 64ish

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2022 7:02PM

As far as op question - slabbed bullion and world gold (super deal vs US). Mexico gold 20 peso and 50 peso.

Like stuff competition in bourse room not likely have. Not fan of big ticket material few can afford.

Coins - buy raw material in $5- $30 cost range. Graded material $50-$ 300 range. Over $300 wb slabbed gold bullion material plus some slabbed world gold. They are such a super deal vs US with their low pops. Items marked up accordingly. While prefer PCGS - Don’t waste money on the holder or sticker game. Last show picked up about 20 PCGS Classic Coins (really nice most PQ) at bid from friend. Like to stack slabbed bullion coins. Mexico Libertads a fav / strong seller, attract buyers to my table.

For currency could be in 50c - $200 range per item investment. Some sent in for grading Gem KRS CV over $50 - Gem notes, low pop graded may be priced accordingly. Have case high stacks of raw and graded currency. Have some PCGS CSA & Obsolete top pop notes.

Many collectors lose money on big ticket material, especially if goes bad in holder. Don’t invest over your risk limit. Be cognizant of coin preservation and avoid losses. My goal have material most coming in bourse room can afford.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Thanks
    I don’t flip and find that I like most coins. I do end up going down rabbit trails often. Gold seems fun and a 1907 Gaudens seems to always come back to mind, although I’m guessing future value may be stagnant.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    As far as op question - slabbed bullion and world gold (super deal vs US). Mexico gold 20 peso and 50 peso.

Like stuff competition in bourse room not likely have. Not fan of big ticket material few can afford.

Do you really consider "up to $10k" big ticket that few can afford?

I will readily grant that 95% of collectors can't afford a $10k coin (or would choose not to, which is close enough to the same thing) but 70% of "collectors" are between those who pull wheaties from circulation and those who filled their state quarter albums. Understand that I'm not demeaning those collectors in any way, but it is a rare collector who is as much as trying to build a Memorial date set from circulation. I readily admit my numbers may be low.

If you go to a flea market or to a small town coin store, you're likely to go months between seeing those people, but, and here's the huge but, if you go to any regional or national show you'll likely see hundreds of them. Sure, relatively few can afford even the smallest of these coins (there is a thread currently wondering if a buyer got hurt buying $2 medals) but the absolute number is very large.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not currently seeking any specific coins. However, if I were, and given the parameters in the OP, I would take the funds and go to FUN.... and spend the days at the show seeking and buying what coins I liked. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Do you really consider "up to $10k" big ticket that few can afford?

I will readily grant that 95% of collectors can't afford a $10k coin (or would choose not to, which is close enough to the same thing) but 70% of "collectors" are between those who pull wheaties from circulation and those who filled their state quarter albums. Understand that I'm not demeaning those collectors in any way, but it is a rare collector who is as much as trying to build a Memorial date set from circulation. I readily admit my numbers may be low.

If you go to a flea market or to a small town coin store, you're likely to go months between seeing those people, but, and here's the huge but, if you go to any regional or national show you'll likely see hundreds of them. Sure, relatively few can afford even the smallest of these coins (there is a thread currently wondering if a buyer got hurt buying $2 medals) but the absolute number is very large.

Really nicely put. I was at a medium size regional show yesterday and saw many quick and easy four figure transactions for both numismatic items and bullion. I saw more mid-four figure transactions than sub $100 transactions in the couple of hours I was there.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2022 8:46AM

Having spent that kind of money and much more, my answer is it depends upon what is on my want list at the time. Among the inexpensive items I buy are a silver silver Proof set every year. Those now cost $110, which most people would not consider "cheep."

I used to collect Civil War tokens, but I shocked when I went to the Summer FUN show and saw common varieties with $50 price tags on them. :o I like 18th and 19th century British coins in high grade when I can buy them for less than $300.

Here's an example. This 1745 George II six pence has the word "LIMA" on it. Why? The British Navy captured some silver from the Spanish and brought it to England. There the government took a "victory lap" by turning the captured silver into a number of coins, which are fairly common today. This one which is in an NGC AU-55 holder cost $225.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    For US coins, I would seek out original Seated dollars

It takes a lot patience and a fair amount of money to do that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly patience is required. The type of Seated Dollar I will buy is when I am not looking for them... that is just how it is with me

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

So I’ve never bought coins anywhere but eBay= ever. It sounds like shows might be much more affordable? My fiancé and I have found a show to attend here in Houston in two weeks. Can’t wait, but it does seem like it will be a very small show…It’s only $3 to get in and that covers both days.

No one is thinking gold is the way to go? Looking at the suggestion to buy half cents…. Is there value creation there? I’ll hand these down one day but I’m only 42 right now.

Given the Chineses market is really getting into coins, I was considering creating a gold 1oz panda set for growth and value.

• Options

@coinkat said:

I’ll look into this idea. My first and only seated turned out to be cleaned. I’m still not over it because of what I paid.

• Options

@johnny010 said:

@coinkat said:

I’ll look into this idea. My first and only seated turned out to be cleaned. I’m still not over it because of what I paid.

Ok so I looked
    Unfortunately these are not in range.

• Options
    edited November 5, 2022 12:33PM

Opinion to what’s big ticket for an individual can vary. There is no right answer on that. We are very possibly going into a recession…. At this point in time am very conservative…

As an experienced bourse room dealer I would wager quite possibly not a large pct coming in the bourse room even have over $1000, many doing good have $300. This may be much higher especially at a show in a large city like FUN or Long Beach where many well off clientele attend. Even then if they well heeled will they pay the money (nicer stuff) vs bargain shopping or just stacking up on bullion?

Coins don’t pay interest or dividends. The more big ticket the harder they can fall especially if go bad in holder. However if you have a large budget perhaps $10k is chump change lol.

My advice any numismatic investment portfolio have a plan investment amount (within your comfort zone) and budget quantity. One thing been wondering last few months - Are US Classic coins about to take a big hit?

• Options

I hope that I did not mislead anyone- Seated Liberty Dollars can be found in the EF45-AU58 range for within the price range of the OP thread

• Options

So those that have the look I require involves patience

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:
    So I’ve never bought coins anywhere but eBay= ever. It sounds like shows might be much more affordable? My fiancé and I have found a show to attend here in Houston in two weeks. Can’t wait, but it does seem like it will be a very small show…It’s only $3 to get in and that covers both days.

No one is thinking gold is the way to go? Looking at the suggestion to buy half cents…. Is there value creation there? I’ll hand these down one day but I’m only 42 right now.

Given the Chineses market is really getting into coins, I was considering creating a gold 1oz panda set for growth and value.

Without any intention to offend, it seems as though you can either go after "collector coins" or bullion. With the latter, consider the vast majority of the value to be found in the underlying value of the metal. It is completely different to collect 1927 (P) Saints or 1927-S Saints.

Shows aren't likely to be considerably cheaper than eBay, but you'll get to see what you're getting in advance, maybe learn something from an expert about what you like to collect, build relationships, that sort of thing.Defiinitely worth $3 to walk the bourse, whether there is anything worth buying or not.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2022 3:26PM

At least one 1878p 8 tailfeather Morgan VAM's

etc
    etc

Several VAM's numbered 14.teen are super rare.

If it were my money...
    They would all be key dates in whatever series chosen.
    PCGS certified
    Preferably CAC'd for market acceptance.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2022 3:32PM

@johnny010 said:

The Houston show coming up on the 18th/19th will be quite small. If you are new to shows, it's a low-key introduction, but you will see mostly bullion and problem coins unfortunately - just temper your expectations accordingly. The Houston Money Show in January is the largest show of the year in Houston. It's a great regional show that pulls in a lot of good dealers. It will take place on January 20/21st, 2023 at the convention center in Conroe.

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:
    All-

What coins would you buy
    2) “” $5000 or less
    3) “”$8k or less
    4) $10k or less

Thanks

$2500: 1796 dime in the best grade possible

$5000: 1878-CC Trade Dollar in the best grade possible

$8000/10000: Early gold piece or rare-date Liberty Head gold piece of some kind, or an 1872-S quarter in the best grade possible

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    edited November 5, 2022 6:50PM

The Houston show coming up Nov 18 is an excellent, very well run show with lots of quality material. Many nice slabbed coins, bullion, currency, and other material. Something for everybody. About 45-50 dealers will be there. To describe this show as lackluster is inaccurate. I Highly recommend this show.

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭

What does “going bad in holder” mean?

• Options

@Omegaraptor said:

@johnny010 said:
    All-

What coins would you buy
    2) “” $5000 or less
    3) “”$8k or less
    4) $10k or less

Thanks

$8000/10000: Early gold piece or rare-date Liberty Head gold piece of some kind, or an 1872-S quarter in the best grade possible

1796 dime…repaired for $2500?

The only 1878 Trade I see is almost $15k in AU grade. Is this normal price?

Question on early gold…are their prices stagnant? I’ve watched the 1907 Gaudens and they seem very slow to move in value.

• Options

@J2035 said:

@johnny010 said:

The Houston show coming up on the 18th/19th will be quite small. If you are new to shows, it's a low-key introduction, but you will see mostly bullion and problem coins unfortunately - just temper your expectations accordingly. The Houston Money Show in January is the largest show of the year in Houston. It's a great regional show that pulls in a lot of good dealers. It will take place on January 20/21st, 2023 at the convention center in Conroe.

Awesome I’ll be there
    Got some great news. Best friends girlfriend got her inheritance last week and part of that includes a lock box in Austin TX…she said it was “20 pounds” and was full of old coins and gold from the 1700/1800s. They have asked me to take a look before they go sell it all. Never had an opportunity like this before.

• Options
    edited November 5, 2022 8:51PM

@Vasanti said:
    What does “going bad in holder” mean?

Exactly what it says.

The coin develops yucky toning, dark areas black spots, unattractive eye appeal. Sometimes a greenish hue. Nobody wants it. Some say the black spots due to biological attack. Or it could be real hazy, unappealing. Eye appeal in the tank. Caused by reaction to atmosphere, heat, humidity, salt air.

Some coins may need a dip every 3 -5 years if not sooner.

Let’s say your $10,000 coin submitted in a pvc flip. It gets real hazy in about 6 mo or a year. Looks horrible. Or it’s stored in a bankbox where the temp climbs after the bank shuts off the ac. It’s stored there for a long long time. Long term hold? Well guess what…..

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    The Houston show coming up Nov 18 is an excellent, very well run show with lots of quality material. Many nice slabbed coins, bullion, currency, and other material. Something for everybody. About 45-50 dealers will be there. To describe this show as lackluster is inaccurate. I Highly recommend this show.

I’ll be there as well. No idea what to expect but I can’t buy more damaged coins. I’m 0 for my last 6. All cleaned trash. 1825 bust, 1877 trade, 1864 2 cent and on and on. Assuming I can buy a magnifier that I can carry in my pocket so I stop buying junk.

• Options

@daltex said:

@johnny010 said:

Without any intention to offend, it seems as though you can either go after "collector coins" or bullion. With the latter, consider the vast majority of the value to be found in the underlying value of the metal. It is completely different to collect 1927 (P) Saints or 1927-S Saints.

Shows aren't likely to be considerably cheaper than eBay, but you'll get to see what you're getting in advance, maybe learn something from an expert about what you like to collect, build relationships, that sort of thing.Defiinitely worth $3 to walk the bourse, whether there is anything worth buying or not.

Thanks
    Not sure pre 33 is bullion but I get it (1907 aforementioned). As for the show I’m hoping to find sone nice metal…bust half, 1936 proof quart, maybe some high relief Gaudens. Can’t set expectations too high, but still can’t wait.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

@Omegaraptor said:

@johnny010 said:
    All-

What coins would you buy
    2) “” $5000 or less
    3) “”$8k or less
    4) $10k or less

Thanks

Question on early gold…are their prices stagnant? I’ve watched the 1907 Gaudens and they seem very slow to move in value.

If you’re referring to the hight relief, they’re not considered early gold, nor are they a good representative of the gold market as a whole. The gold market is FAR from stagnant, especially when it’s beaned.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

@Omegaraptor said:

@johnny010 said:
    All-

What coins would you buy
    2) “” $5000 or less
    3) “”$8k or less
    4) $10k or less

Thanks

An XF-45 1878-CC Trade Dollar sold for almost exactly $5k last year.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

I’ll be there as well. No idea what to expect but I can’t buy more damaged coins. I’m 0 for my last 6. All cleaned trash. 1825 bust, 1877 trade, 1864 2 cent and on and on. Assuming I can buy a magnifier that I can carry in my pocket so I stop buying junk.

If you are really looking for quality, hold on to your wallet!

For now, look only at coins that have a green CAC sticker. It takes years to develop an eye for quality coins, so go slow. Eventually you'll be able to pick out coins without a sticker that will end up stickering. : )

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly I won’t be buying coins in these prices anytime soon.

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2022 3:10PM

I hope to be at the Houston Pre-Thanksgiving Coin Show, but school activities might get in the way.
    For $2500, I'd buy either a nice MPL in 66 BN, or a nice Classic Head Gold piece, regardless of denomination.
    For $5000, I'd buy a tricky early type coin, such as flowing hair, draped bust, a seated dollar, or perhaps a nice proof Morgan, Trade dollar, or Buffalo nickel.
    I'm all over the place :D
    At 10,000 I would have a crisis and break down.
    Or maybe get a proof Flying eagle cent, or a nice pattern coin.

But for now I'll stick to Jefferson nickels, Kennedy halves and the like.

Very interesting question, reminds me of the classic "If you found a genie's lamp...?"

Young Numismatist

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:

Loved the show. We had a great time.
    Does anyone have a list of the dealers? I might have found two coins I want. I left without purchasing but I’m still thinking about them.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2022 5:35PM

I was set up at this weekends Thanksgiving Houston show. I had a great time plus a really good show both sales wise and some quality, interesting purchases. The show was well attended both Friday and Saturday.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would find a 12 to 14k coin and offer 10k. At least you wouldn’t start off upside down.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins? Why? I need new windows in my house - F the coins.............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@johnny010 said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Does anyone have a list of the dealers? I might have found two coins I want. I left without purchasing but I’m still thinking about them.

What were they?

• Options

@Steven59 said:

I could use a new roof but for now it’s keeping the coins dry :D

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) if you spent $2500 or less = Nothing and save 2500
    2) “” $5000 or less = Nothing and save 5000
    3) “”$8k or less = Nothing and save 8000
    4) $10k or less = Use the combined 25500 to get an 1866S No Motto $20

• Options

@johnny010 said:

What were they?

Both were proofs, but the one i liked the most was a 1916 PR66 Nickel. Was amazing.

The other was an 186X proof Indian cent.

The gentleman selling it was the first one straight ahead, his name started with a C. See below where he was sitting.

He also had a 1907 Gaudens high relief MS62 but it was a little high in my opinion.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

The old windows will last a few more years- buy the coins. :D

• Options

@Cladiator said:
    1) if you spent $2500 or less = Nothing and save 2500
    2) “” $5000 or less = Nothing and save 5000
    3) “”$8k or less = Nothing and save 8000
    4) $10k or less = Use the combined 25500 to get an 1866S No Motto $20

I like your style, jus sayin.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2022 9:07PM

Here are my purchases so far since making this post.

Looks like I’m going over

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pure hypothetical for me, but I think it would depend which collection I was considering. For Early Copper: $10k for a Chain Cent in G4 to VG8; $8k for a 1799; $5k for an 1804; $2k for either a 1794 Half Cent or a 1787 Fugio...

If this was for a Type set it would likely be weighed towards early gold.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@johnny010 said:

What was your rational for buying these two bullion coins?

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@johnny010 said:

What was your rational for buying these two bullion coins?

The Mercanti I believe has future value (niche) and the 2014 $5 might have been me getting too excited because I “assumed” the narrow reed version would be required to complete a type set. With that coin not being required I don’t see as much future value.
    JUST thinking about the kids and having down one day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file