Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The new CAC Coin Grading Holder photo,,,,,,

13»

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    One more thought. Why is it necessary to state that a details coin is genuine, but not for a numerically graded coin?

Many very rare coins with serious problems are submitted for authentication purposes so declaring such coins as being "GENUINE" is appropriate.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@MrEureka said:
    One more thought. Why is it necessary to state that a details coin is genuine, but not for a numerically graded coin?

Many very rare coins with serious problems are submitted for authentication purposes so declaring such coins as being "GENUINE" is appropriate.

While that’s true, why should slabbing a genuine coin with a details grade require an additional confirmation of “GENUINE” anymore than slabbing a genuine coin with a straight grade would? The latter isn’t done, so why should the former?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    WiscKauWiscKau Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

A lot of empty space on the back of the holder.

Add the type/variety here?

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all the critique written I'm sure CAC will fine tune the final premier version.

Personally, I like it and wish them a lot of luck.

I agree with others that this is more a boutique grading venture similar to Legend avenues. It is a good move and will add many more interesting threads and posts to come for a long time.

Seems it is not direct competition to our hosts, or I imagine they would have nuked these threads.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@goodmoney4badmoney said:
    I like how the reverse is upside down in the holder.

I didn’t even notice and you’re the first person I’ve seen mention in all the threads on the topic so far!

• Options

@jtlee321 said:
    Here is a mock-up that I came up with last night and posted on the CAC forum. I've made a few modifications based on feedback over there. The L at the end of the serial would indicate a Legacy coin, a graded coin that did not have a sticker or a raw coin would not have the L designation.

Those are way mo betta!! Nice job.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    The sticker should be just to the RH of the grade,,,,,,, centered in that area. Plenty of room.

It looks squeezed in above the grade.

Bar code on reverse. JMHO,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I like it above the grade although I think it might look better if slid down a hair.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

I never did like GENUINE in all caps on the front of the label. The top tpg only encapsulate genuine coins. If you feel the word "genuine" is needed then use lower case and put it on the back of the label.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

After some feedback, I decided to play around with the design a little more this evening. Here are some minor tweaks. The first is with the same reverse label as earlier. The second set is with the bar code moved to the reverse of the label. The QR code is not needed and would most likely introduce an issue for technology. But I added a NFC logo assuming the holder will have a NFC chip.

Having the serial number appear on the back might be redundant, but I think it helps explain what the barcode is for, especially for newer collectors.

I tried the fade to white at the bottom of the front label, but it has too much similarity to a PCGS label in my opinion.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the the sticker to the RH of the grade and the Bar Code on the reverse.

Good job on the mock-up.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

Can we get the top edge labeled with date, mint and denomination? For those of that use slab boxes for storage.

• Options

@Snaps said:
    Can we get the top edge labeled with date, mint and denomination? For those of that use slab boxes for storage.

Only if the top edge is flat,,,,,, the curved top looks tacky to me.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marcmoish said:
    With all the critique written I'm sure CAC will fine tune the final premier version.

Personally, I like it and wish them a lot of luck.

I agree with others that this is more a boutique grading venture similar to Legend avenues. It is a good move and will add many more interesting threads and posts to come for a long time.

Seems it is not direct competition to our hosts, or I imagine they would have nuked these threads.

CAC Grading is quite obviously direct competition to PCGS. The continued existence of a discussion thread about it here shouldn’t imply otherwise. PCGS is very likely still figuring out the potential impact of this new grading service on their business. Sure, they could “nuke” these threads but folks will just go to other forums to discuss it, including the CAC Forums, so they’d just be driving members towards a competitor.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2022 3:50AM

@Maywood said:
    The new CAC slab reminds me of the NTC(Numistrust) slab.

If the CAC slab is clear, that may only be because of the green background the slab is sitting on.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    Someone correct me if I’m wrong but Cac will not have an imaging service like trueview, right?

You can get a TrueView if CAC does a monster slab like PCGS does:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1082712/pcgs-holder-in-a-holder-can-it-be-done-for-doilies-ats-black-etc#latest

Here's a concept rendering:

I am going to need a bigger box,,,,,,,,

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of the bean inside the slab.

Make it mandatory the image of every coin in a data base.

The AT issues alone should warrant this consideration.

If you are marketing a boutique shop it should offer boutique services.

FWIW… have owned less than five beaned coins.

Offer me something PCGS does not.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

That NTC coin looks nice for the grade.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

Green is just not a pleasing color for a slab and should not be used. Lighter brighter colors, gold, orange, etc. Or if green, very light mint green perhaps.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the green color on the CAC slab. I believe it will make that material in a dealers case at a show discernible beyond his table. Green is the color of money.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

I was just reading this and I had the thought....if CAC starts a grading service will someone come along and start another 2nd opinion company to sticker holders?
    This will now leave a void where CAC once was.
    It should allow for quicker turnaround times for from reputable TPG's.
    Does anyone know when they will accept submissions?
    I like PCGS slabs myself so no offense to our host as I think they are #1. This is only meant to be a conversation about this situation.

• Options

@Watchtower said:
    I was just reading this and I had the thought....if CAC starts a grading service will someone come along and start another 2nd opinion company to sticker holders?
    I like PCGS slabs myself so no offense to our host as I think they are #1. This is only meant to be a conversation about this situation.

It’d be hilarious if PCGS started selectively stickering the new CAC slabs.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KatanaPilot said:
    Wow!

In addition to being absolutely non-innovative, completely unoriginal and a giant step backwards it's just what the numismatic hobby and business needs; another absolutely valueless way to separate (non-self thinking) collectors from their hard earned paper dollars. For those brain-dead puppets that end up with this holder -and- a sticker....do NOT try to walk and chew gum!

Wow, a blast of vitriol regarding CAC. How novel.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KatanaPilot said:
    Wow!

In addition to being absolutely non-innovative, completely unoriginal and a giant step backwards it's just what the numismatic hobby and business needs; another absolutely valueless way to separate (non-self thinking) collectors from their hard earned paper dollars. For those brain-dead puppets that end up with this holder -and- a sticker....do NOT try to walk and chew gum!

In theory, it is not really innovative but needed bc CACG claims they are going to be stricter with more messed with coins than others have been, like getting the bean - So since that is important IMO (who wants a coin that someone in the passed intentionally messed with?), I am totally brain dead then and will greatly benefit from being so. CACG in the series they grade, will vault to the #1 TPG is as little time as it takes me to write 'LOL'................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    Minimalist might be nice. Different, more emphasis on the coin

Jenny I like your dollars, I need to make them mine. Jenny don't change your (cert) number.......

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

You give me sumthin' I can hold on to, I know you think I'm like the others before . . . . . . . .

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KatanaPilot said:
    Wow!

For those who don’t already know, this poster has already had a thread closed for violating the forum rules and guidelines.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1080233/adjectival-grade-by-ngc#latest

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:

Behold!

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchtower said:

They're working on it. Didn't you see that CCC sticker on the anacs slab recently? :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KatanaPilot said:
    Wow!

I’ll make sure I sit down before I chew any gum. Really appreciate the helpful advice.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchtower said:

On the question - Does anyone know when they will accept submissions?
    Initially it was to have already taken place early this year. It was pushed back (partly due to covid I believe) and I believe (not confirmed) to now be around late March - early April. Might change again.

It is to be a soft opening with only the investor-dealers (or whatever the appropriate term is) able to submit. This to control submissions and from whom and to verify that the system is working correctly - as I understand it. This will last for weeks (a couple, few or several depending on how it works as I understand it).

Next, submissions will be opened up to current CAC members. I don't know how long this is to last. CAC will continue to accept applications for membership but might / probably have a wait time.

On the sticker side of the company (or should I say the other company) as I understand it, once the CAC grading company is opened up, CAC sticker co. will try to slow submissions and this has been stated to potentially include increase in the cost of the sticker service. However, it has been indicated in interviews that this will be slow and that CAC sticker will be around for some time (years).

Note: there are now a few video interviews with JA on this subject out there. So you could do a search for them

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KatanaPilot said:
    Wow!

Actually the reputation of John Albanese as a grading guru and the quick turn around at CAC suggests that CAC graded coins might be the better option. In view of our hosts excessive grading delays at collector levels I'm certain to give them a whirl when allowed.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2023 6:38AM

@JBN said:

@Mr_Spud said:

Jenny I like your dollars, I need to make them mine. Jenny don't change your (cert) number.......

I see what both of you did there, and I like it. ;)

Funny story, 867 is the phone prefix for Maysville, OK and a resident there actually had the 867-5309 phone number. When that song first came out they received a lot of calls looking for Jenny. :D

Philippians 4:4-7

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file