edited November 18, 2022 5:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Photo of revised holder as of 11-18-22

GrandAm :)

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool! :)

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet!
    That 1880-O Morgan should get a gold CAC!

peacockcoins

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks exactly how I thought they’d look based on the Q&A. I like them. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but Cac will not have an imaging service like trueview, right?

• nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭

Guess that answers the question with what they'll do with C quality coins.

@nencoin said:

What do you mean?

• nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭

Well, never mind. Looks like Weiss is spot on. (Good eyes!) I was assuming that the coin on the left met CAC's standards, and the coin on the right, while a legitimate MS65, did not meet their current stickering standards. My dad always told me what happens when you ASSume. My apologies!

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Sweet!
    That 1880-O Morgan should get a gold CAC!

Or a bump in grade.... :*

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it .... a lot!

Tom

• dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's just the background or the coin that they chose, but to me it looks pretty bland. I think the "stickers" on the back might just make things more confusing.

Young Numismatist

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

It looks almost like an NGC holder with a clear insert and a PCGS gasket to me.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

So do we get to name the character. Jack CAC, CACadoodle doo or what? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will anyone be able to use their service or will it be limited to current members? Will they still offer their stickers to currently graded coins? When do they plan to start?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

@jesbroken said:
    Will anyone be able to use their service or will it be limited to current members? Will they still offer their stickers to currently graded coins? When do they plan to start?
    Jim

They anticipate a soft start in q1 2023, and JA said that they would sticker previously graded coins until 2033, but many think that’s a type and the stickers will be phased out starting in 2023. As for who is able to use the service, I would like to know as well as new membership has been closed for quite some time, and I would like to be able to use the service.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surely they didn't think they'd be able to get away with that TrueView stunt, right?

Too late to scrub that major mistake from history, as the images are now all over the web. And if they didn't get permission? This is all assuming that CAC didn't grade the coin at PCGS and pay for the TVs, which somehow I doubt.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nencoin said:

I hope it's not a brown slab, it wouldn't look good

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m sure the initial ones will bring moon money at auction, then the crossover stampede will be on.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

@TheMayor said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    The pics of that 80-O are the PCGS plate coin at 66. They literally took the trueviews, edited them, dropped the grade one and called it a day... WTAF... and this is from somebody who is somewhat curious and mildly excited to see how this new TPG goes. Not a great start between this crap and candidly, ugly holders.

Looks like they scrubbed all threads depicting the new holder from their forum. The Greysheet article announcing the holder has also been taken down. Not a great start indeed.

It's a PCGS MS66?!
    I knew that CAC 80-O in CAC "MS65" was a gold beaner!

peacockcoins

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if a crossover service is anticipated where a previously CAC green sticker coin would cross to the new CAC holder at the same grade?

GrandAm :)
  • JWPJWP Posts: 17,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look really nice

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2022 3:45PM

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

1) "Will anyone be able to use their service" - From the CAC website, to start it will only be those dealers and collectors that can currently send coins to be stickered, I do not recall JA mentioning any firm plans on how or when that might be more open.

2) "Will they still offer stickers to currently graded coins" - Yes, JA has signed a contract to continue the stickering of PCGS/NGC coins until 2033. However, that service could be discontinued sooner if the demand drops below some level, what that level is has not been defined that I have seen. Also, JA has hinted that the stickering fees will be significantly higher going forward.

3) "When so they plan to start" - No exact date has be specified that I have seen, JA has said a soft opening for the first quarter of 2023.

@291fifth said:
    The market is going to want the sticker on the front, not the back. When collectors see these in a dealer's case they are not going to want to have to ask if the coin has a sticker.

Not necessary, if the holder says "Legacy" on the front at the top of the label there will be a bean (green or gold) on the back, no Legacy on the front no bean on the back. This will be difficult for some to understand, the bean on the back of the slab does not mean what it does on a PCGS/NGC slab. It just signifies that the coin was previously in a PCGS/NGC slab with a green or gold bean.

@GRANDAM said:
    Does anyone know if a crossover service is anticipated where a previously CAC green sticker coin would cross to the new CAC holder at the same grade?

Yes, JA has said that that all currently stickered coins will cross at the same grade. But, you knew there would be a but right :D plus graded coins are not an automatic plus grade in the new CAC holder. So an MS65 green bean will be MS65 (or in some circumstances 65+) in the new CAC holder. The last I saw current plus graded coins might cross with the plus or not if the submitter does not specifically request a cross at the same. But all this is still somewhat in flux and fluid so nothing is completely locked in just yet.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The market is going to want the sticker on the front, not the back. When collectors see these in a dealer's case they are not going to want to have to ask if the coin has a sticker.

The black tab at the top of the slab on the left says "LEGACY", which means it has the sticker.

This would be too funny if it weren't just a tad sad.

peacockcoins

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they add photo service…..

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t like NGC’s first slabs either, and look what happened with them!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

@MrEureka said:
    I didn’t like NGC’s first slabs either, and look what happened with them!

They showed pictures of their proposed slabs and people were bothered because of the coins pictured in them?

Probably not. But then, I'm just guessing...

@coinbuf
    Thanks for the info.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
    edited October 28, 2022 6:24PM

@DelawareDoons said:
    It's amateur hour stuff to use somebody else's IP to create your mockups. You're telling me they couldn't use one of their own coins and own pics? Couldn't spend $50 to get something imaged by a third party with full disclosure on what it would be used for? Instead they just take a plate coin from a conditional rarity and use the TV's? You seriously don't see the issue here?

They could have done a lot of things different. If you're looking to find fault, no doubt you've found it.

Are you happy?

edited to add... The topic is the slab. Why would anyone be so obsessed with the coin?

edited (once again) to add... Has anybody checked to see if the barcode in the OP's image refers to the coin pictured, and is one that CAC has evaluated? It's not? OMG!!! What's up with that???!!!

• Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

I sure hope so. I think it was last March (I could be totally wrong) when I tried to join and new memberships were just put on a temporary hold or so the website said back then. Obviously that never opened back up. Would really stink to be block from grading too. Although I thought I thought (and could be wrong here too) that in 2023 it would be for current members initially during the rollout.

Pocket Change Inspector

edited October 28, 2022 6:32PM

I do understand that JA knows his market, but something no one talks about is that when starting a business with a ton of competition, I would think placing limits on who you will service could potentially be detrimental to growth in a period when growth is all important. Just saying that you send your coins to a dealer who is a member without you having a chance of private membership is not a wise move. Think of the expense of shipping and insuring expensive coins two ways and if you wait for a dealer to have a large shipment to help offset the expense, then you are delaying the grading process again. I know that the other grading companies had similar issues, but not with extensive competition at the time. JMO
    Jim

@jesbroken said:
    I do understand that JA knows his market, but something no one talks about is that when starting a business with a ton of competition, I would think placing limits on who you will service could potentially be detrimental to growth in a period when growth is all important.

Are you thinking that JA is overlooking something that seems obvious to you?

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2022 8:17AM

@FlyingAl said:
    Surely they didn't think they'd be able to get away with that TrueView stunt, right?

Too late to scrub that major mistake from history, as the images are now all over the web. And if they didn't get permission? This is all assuming that CAC didn't grade the coin at PCGS and pay for the TVs, which somehow I doubt.

@DelawareDoons said:

It's amateur hour stuff to use somebody else's IP to create your mockups. You're telling me they couldn't use one of their own coins and own pics? Couldn't spend $50 to get something imaged by a third party with full disclosure on what it would be used for? Instead they just take a plate coin from a conditional rarity and use the TV's? You seriously don't see the issue here?

It's disrespectful to PCGS, it's disrespectful to CAC themselves. It's half-assed... From a soon-to-be TPG that's trying to sell itself as the best. If you want to be the best, it sure as heck doesn't start with doing things like this.

So yeah, clean it up. Do things right, take your time. Stop getting egg on your face doing dumb stuff like this.

Well, what if PCGS is one of the >100 partners in this new grading system and they gave permission for the new slab images with a coin of theirs? After all, the new slab for CAC is very similar to the PCGS slab............ The only thing is does is give it away - PCGS is investing in CAC (?). Which is why they pulled once it was recognized as they don't want this known quite yet? Just sayin' don't know if it is true..... But, there seems to be alot of connections between them right now so (?).

Great looking slab, I am all in and ready to send them dozens of coins.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

why would i want a holder that says "legacy" on it?

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like vomit. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steveben said:
    why would i want a holder that says "legacy" on it?

Because most current collectors collect plastic not coins. THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    I do understand that JA knows his market, but something no one talks about is that when starting a business with a ton of competition, I would think placing limits on who you will service could potentially be detrimental to growth in a period when growth is all important. Just saying that you send your coins to a dealer who is a member without you having a chance of private membership is not a wise move. Think of the expense of shipping and insuring expensive coins two ways and if you wait for a dealer to have a large shipment to help offset the expense, then you are delaying the grading process again. I know that the other grading companies had similar issues, but not with extensive competition at the time. JMO
    Jim

JA has said on the CAC forum that he does not want to be the biggest. CAC grading service is more of a boutique grading service being the biggest is the last thing he wants. Think Legend auctions, they have their niche and are not trying to be another Heritage. CAC grading is not trying to be another PCGS or NGC.

I have no idea if that strategy will work, time will tell if the market desires this new service.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

@MasonG said:

@jesbroken said:
    I do understand that JA knows his market, but something no one talks about is that when starting a business with a ton of competition, I would think placing limits on who you will service could potentially be detrimental to growth in a period when growth is all important.

Are you thinking that JA is overlooking something that seems obvious to you?

Regardless of what JA may know or overlooked, it is my opinion that it could be detrimental to growth in a period when growth is all important. As said, JMO.
    Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file