Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The new CAC Coin Grading Holder photo,,,,,,

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2022 7:12PM

@DelawareDoons said:
    I'm sure I could think of more, it's only been 5 minutes of looking at it and typing.

I didn't say you have to like it. So when they start slabbing coins, I guess you won't be buying any?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2022 7:13PM

@MasonG said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    I'm sure I could think of more, it's only been 5 minutes of looking at it and typing.

I didn't have to say you had to like it. So when they start slabbing coins, I guess you won't be buying any?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I mean, I only collect nice coins in old holders, so yeah, probably won't see me buying any, at least not for myself.

I'll probably crack some of my newer slabs and sub a couple though, why not. Definitely gonna have friends hassling me to do a few subs, so I'm sure I'll get an up close look to really break 'em down.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    edited October 28, 2022 7:22PM

@DelawareDoons said:
    I'll probably crack some of my newer slabs and sub a couple though, why not.

So you see a benefit in getting a coin into a CAC slab?

Ok.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Ok.

Not really. I'd be mostly interested in what they call them, grade-wise, and how PCGS/NGC will treat 'em on crossover.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@MasonG said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Ok.

Not really. I'd be mostly interested in what they call them, grade-wise, and how PCGS/NGC will treat 'em on crossover.

So you want to get them in a CAC holder just because. Ok.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

So how much does it cost to waist more of my hard earned money?

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, since none of that all above does include Canadian coins.....?????
    I venture to say that it might be a done deal....or at least in negotiations.... as a business deal.
    pre-deal hype...
    i would be buying our hosts shares.....IF i could!!
    do you guys just once thing that our hosts bosses sit by and watch???
    it is all about the$$$$$$ on both sides.
    All, or most posts were just about : what if....etc... can i ... my coins etc....put yourself into our host's shoes.....and THINK!!!!!
    I guess it boils down to who has the longer "????arms????"

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

@Raybo said:
    So how much does it cost to waist more of my hard earned money?

As much as you want to waist. It's up to you.

• Options

So, if they're holdering the coin, then why NOT put the CAC sticker INSIDE the holder, maybe to the right of the grade ?
    Just a suggestion.

Chris

• Options

Give it 10 years, then people will be paying MOON MONEY for Generation 1.0 CAC Holders.
    There's a market for everything.

Chris

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭

The CrACkout game will be in HIGH gear in about 2 months...alot of certs to be turned in for bounties and discarded plastic going into the recycle / trash bin....

TC71

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dunkleosteus430 said:
    I think the "stickers" on the back might just make things more confusing.

How so?
    The word LEGACY on the front alerts people that it was a previously stickered coin.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2022 4:36AM

@291fifth said:
    The market is going to want the sticker on the front, not the back. When collectors see these in a dealer's case they are not going to want to have to ask if the coin has a sticker.

That’s why the word LEGACY is at the top on the front.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go again.... This reminds me of the major controversy here when CAC launched years ago.... History repeating.... And all controversy is free press.... Smart move. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited October 29, 2022 4:49AM

@steveben said:
    why would i want a holder that says "legacy" on it?

Nobody will be forcing you to buy any!

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@MasonG said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    It's amateur hour stuff to use somebody else's IP to create your mockups. You're telling me they couldn't use one of their own coins and own pics? Couldn't spend $50 to get something imaged by a third party with full disclosure on what it would be used for? Instead they just take a plate coin from a conditional rarity and use the TV's? You seriously don't see the issue here?

They could have done a lot of things different. If you're looking to find fault, no doubt you've found it.

Are you happy?

edited to add... The topic is the slab. Why would anyone be so obsessed with the coin?

Whats the UGLY green color? CAC stickers have that gorgeous dark green as their primary color unless you have them under a really bright light or tilt them right into the light. Go with that for the insert color.

100% agree. That color is not pleasant to look at. A deep, saturated emerald color would look great. Obviously couldn’t have that dark green where any lettering would be. Maybe copy PCGS somewhat again like they do with their “blue labels”.
    Bland and borderline olive green is not helping one bit.

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    The new CAC slab reminds me of the NTC(Numistrust) slab.

That's the exact thought I had the second I saw that new holder. Really unappealing as well as brings back memories of an old 3rd world grading company.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

After looking at all the images in the thread and considering some of the replies thus far, I have come to a conclusion:
    --- It doesn't seem that anything depicted by CAC in their images is real, almost looks like they took an image of a proposed slab shell and then photo-shopped all the elements need to finish it, the coin/front insert/back insert. The entire thing seems to have been done hastily with little forethought.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Luxor said:

@Maywood said:
    The new CAC slab reminds me of the NTC(Numistrust) slab.

That's the exact thought I had the second I saw that new holder. Really unappealing as well as brings back memories of an old 3rd world grading company.

How much of that impression is created by the actual label versus the green background against which it was photographed? Get rid of that green background and the similarity diminishes.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2022 6:28AM

@Maywood said:
    After looking at all the images in the thread and considering some of the replies thus far, I have come to a conclusion:
    --- It doesn't seem that anything depicted by CAC in their images is real, almost looks like they took an image of a proposed slab shell and then photo-shopped all the elements need to finish it, the coin/front insert/back insert. The entire thing seems to have been done hastily with little forethought.

I would presume that further adjustments will be made to the slab design. On both here and the other forum, many suggestions were received by CAC and it seems like most are in agreement that the bean should be on the obverse, among other things.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lord, I hope this is a prototype. Ugly comes to mind, and let's please drop the cartoon character.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the Debbie Downers - let's see you come up with a slab design that is better, LOL................

I think overall this is a great success in design, look forward to having some coins in this slab. Hail, maybe I will put my whole collection in them, well at least the 85% with green beans...........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

I like how the reverse is upside down in the holder.

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree it was a blunder to use a "true view". Hopefully their pics will be a more accurate representation of how the coins look in hand.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2022 12:59PM

Looks nice.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why can’t people just leave well enough alone.

• Options

@MFeld said: I’m certain that anyone who has any issues with the holder is capable of coming up with a design that will meet with the approval of 100% of the members here.

Either of the styles below would work fine.

• Options

@jwitten said:
    I’ve never understood why CAC uses that cartoonish logo. Cheapens the brand in my opinion. Looks like a middle schooler used an old school Microsoft paint to create it. Lose the cartoon character and CAC looks a lot more professional.

It reminds you of Microsoft for a reason. Essentially 2000s Retro clip-art. Has the same googly eyes and giant eyebrows as Microsoft "Clippy", but the a little bit of SpongeBob SquarePants girth.

I'm agnostic on whether the clip-art is a good idea. Much more interesting is how this affects people with large standardized collections and registries. Most top coins are pcgs&cac and people won't want mismatched services to holder, display, and box their collections. Thought experiment: try to come up with a reason someone would submit a pcgs&cac coin with the new service? (saying a higher price is circular, as it implies there's a reason someone prefers the new holder in the first place)

The best reason I can come up with is that someone wants to downcross a pcgs coin in order to get a cac certification at a lower grade. This is harder to do at pcgs as you will probably receive the original grade a second time.

• Options

@jtlee321 said:
    Here is a mock-up that I came up with last night and posted on the CAC forum. I've made a few modifications based on feedback over there. The L at the end of the serial would indicate a Legacy coin, a graded coin that did not have a sticker or a raw coin would not have the L designation.

That's about 3 million times better. Can you mock it up with the barcode on the reverse?

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:
    @jtlee321 said:

That's about 3 million times better. Can you mock it up with the barcode on the reverse?

Absolutely agree, very nice work. Sign jtee321 up JA!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2022 3:17PM

The sticker should be just to the RH of the grade,,,,,,, centered in that area. Plenty of room.

It looks squeezed in above the grade.

Bar code on reverse. JMHO,,,,,,,,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    To the Debbie Downers - let's see you come up with a slab design that is better, LOL................

i think both pcgs and ngc have already

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steveben said:

@spacehayduke said:

i think both pcgs and ngc have already

Ummmm wasn’t JA the one who created the original tpg slab? LOL……..🎤

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too like Jets labels they look great against a black background. Imagine CACS Op pic against a black background and it pretty much looks the same. “Pretty much” meaning arms length with old eyes :)

It’s kind of like when Ford comes out with a new truck design and everybody thinks it looks ugly for the first couple of years and then all of a sudden it becomes the norm.

Delaware! Your wife makes one hell of a brownie :D

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long before China counterfeits these holders......

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    edited October 30, 2022 4:28AM

@ScarsdaleCoin said: Ummmm wasn’t JA the one who created the original tpg slab? LOL……..🎤

That was probably Alan Hager with Accugrade(now insert that LOL).

The @jtlee321 "improvements" are only a modification to the insert. Even with the "changes" it still evokes images of NumisTrust and that slab was quite flimsy, it could be twisted open quite easily.

• Options

@Maywood said:

The @jtlee321 "improvements" are only a modification to the insert. Even with the "changes" it still evokes images of NumisTrust and that slab was quite flimsy, it could be twisted open quite easily.

Er, from a pic, no one can possibly know how flimsy or strong the holder is so comparisons to an old holder from another company in that regard is meaningless at this point. Both NGC and PCGS slabs have become much stronger over time as they developed techniques to keep them from breaking open easily, there is little doubt that CAC will have the same or similar in terms of strength.....................

• Options

@Maywood said:

@jtlee321 "improvements" are indeed for the insert, and they give the slab more eye appeal and aesthetics - great looking inserts and are a key part of the slab presentation. Have nothing to do with the NTC slabs and far better.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more thought. Why is it necessary to state that a details coin is genuine, but not for a numerically graded coin?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file