Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which 1875-cc double-dime do you like better? - Updated

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 27, 2022 9:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'd love to hear people's comments about each of these coins.

• Which has better eye appeal?
  • Which has better strike?
  • Which is graded higher?
  • Which is more "original"
  • Which one do you like better?

Comments

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which has better eye appeal?  #1 - clearer date
    Which has better strike? #1  - clearer LIBERTY
    Which is graded higher? #1 - "less" wear on eagles chest
    Which is more "original" #2 - darker toning
    Which one do you like better? #2 - if lower grade, less money

For you, No Charge.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 7:39AM

@BryceM -- great post, interesting comparison!

I also prefer # 2, due to the color and luster.

Number 1 seems to have the stronger striker, and perhaps a slightly higher grade; I assume they are both AU50ish?

Higashiyama
  • Options

@MFeld said:
    I prefer coin number 2, due to its more original and uniform appearance.

Mark, could you elaborate? Are you talking about the similarity of toning between the obverse and reverse, or the distribution of toning across and around the devices & fields? Or other?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

You want me to decide????

nah, won't happen. Love them both!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

@MFeld said:
    I prefer coin number 2, due to its more original and uniform appearance.

Mark, could you elaborate? Are you talking about the similarity of toning between the obverse and reverse, or the distribution of toning across and around the devices & fields? Or other?

Bryce, I was talking primarily about the the distribution of toning across and around the devices and fields.

Here’s an additional reason I prefer coin number 2:
    Even if coin number 1 is graded higher, while perfectly acceptable, the rub on Liberty’s legs distracts me more than anything I see on coin number 2.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld

Thanks.

I'm interested to see what others have to say. I'll share my thoughts (and the grades) tonight.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 8:04AM

Neither :s

I really like #2 but can't get past the tiny gash on her chin/jaw and once seen it's like an eyeball magnet as that's all I see like the Tootsie Roll song. It's bad enough on this design Ms. Liberty looks like she left her dentures at home when posing for the obverse.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Number two.... better in all categories. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

id take the second one as well. both are nice coin

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 8:35AM

I would choose number 2 for all questions with the exception of better strike which I see the first coin being superior in terms of strike. Overall, I'll take coin #2.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like #2 better, it just looks more appealing to me.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Count me with the majority, based on the images I like the overall look and fabric of #2 more, although #1 certainly is no slouch

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look of the 2nd coin

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

At a quick glance #2
    After a longer look #2
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised as usually I agree with the consensus. Not this one.
    Which has better eye appeal? 1
    Which has better strike? 1
    Which is graded higher? 2
    Which is more "original" 1
    Which one do you like better 1

Tom

• Options

@TPRC said:

Look at how coin number 1’s color around the protected areas (such as the obverse stars and date, as well as the reverse lettering) is darker than in the fields. That makes me think it’s been lightened and not as original as coin number 2.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Becky7474Becky7474 Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

I pick #2.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which has better eye appeal? 2
    Which is graded higher? 1
    Which is more "original" 2
    Which one do you like better 2

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fewer contact marks on #2... better surfaces and if the toning isn't too dark, I pick #2.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 1:03PM

@MFeld said:

@TPRC said:

Look at how coin number 1’s color around the protected areas (such as the obverse stars and date, as well as the reverse lettering) is darker than in the fields. That makes me think it’s been lightened and not as original as coin number 2.

Hmmm! Well, I always respect your opinion and I do see what you mean. To me, coin 2 is awfully dark, nearing terminal state. However, I downloaded and enlarged the pics hoping to see what I thought appeared to be some hairlines in the left obverse field of coin 2. I did not see any. But it turns out that in the right obverse field of coin 1, in the area you note, there do appear to be some very minor hairlines, so perhaps you are correct. I do think the rub on the leg takes coin 1 out of the MS category, while coin 2 could be unc due to its overall lustrous appearance even with the softer strike (or wear) on the eagle's breast. But the color of coin 2 is not my favorite.

Tom

• Options

@TPRC said:

@MFeld said:

@TPRC said:

Hmmm! Well, I always respect your opinion and I do see what you mean. To me, coin 2 is awfully dark, nearing terminal state. However, I downloaded and enlarged the pics hoping to see what I thought appeared to be some hairlines in the left obverse field of coin 2. I did not see any. But it turns out that in the right obverse field of coin 1, in the area you note, there do appear to be some very minor hairlines, so perhaps you are correct. I do think the rub on the leg takes coin 1 out of the MS category, while coin 2 could be unc due to its overall lustrous appearance even with the softer strike (or wear) on the eagle's breast. But the color of coin 2 is not my favorite.

I understand about the darker color on coin 2, though I don’t mind it. I was speaking more about its apparent superior originality compared to coin 1.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 1:35PM

They both look great imo. I would gladly accept the left-over.

If I had to make a choice between these two...number two would have to do.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of these must be your 20C NEWP you mentioned earlier. B) Both are excellent but I’m with the majority, I like the 2nd one better although the above seems to have a better strike.

Looking, they both appear to be AU58. Both are excellent regardless of which you chose. 👍

• Options

Very interesting comments so far.

Perhaps my photography isn't up to snuff these days.......

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like number 2 due to the toning looking more even and natural as Mark noted ... But based on ms liberty the gash on her chin is distracting so for that device I'd say #1. I'd say #1 for strike alone, it definitely looks stronger/less wear. I would guess #1 would be the higher grade overall based mainly on strike and wear, but #2 could pull it out or maybe even based on potential luster, if it's full of luster and the first is not. Based on recent experiences I'd be a little concerned with the area to the right of ms liberty and how the toning encircles the stars.

The both have their stronger parts (looks/potential luster, strike etc). Both nice coins no matter how you look at it! Congrats!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are superb in terms of your criteria as far as I see them.

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think those are both really nice. Too hard to choose!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the first one on top.

A little better detailed and more original to me.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are nice, but I like #1.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the appeal of #2 but would love the loser.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which is more "original" 2
    Which one do you like better? 1

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 has a better strike
    2 is more original; On #1, the light areas in the right obv field and under the eagle's right wing suggest some judicious cleaning or lightening in the past.
    I think #2 has better eye appeal.
    I think #2 is graded higher.
    I prefer #2.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent one.
    Bottom, top, bottom, top, top.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have said 2 until I saw the face gash. Maybe keep looking for a better example?

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@Broadstruck said:
    Neither :s

I really like #2 but can't get past the tiny gash on her chin/jaw and once seen it's like an eyeball magnet as that's all I see like the Tootsie Roll song. It's bad enough on this design Ms. Liberty looks like she left her dentures at home when posing for the obverse.

Actually #1 appears to have two smaller gashes on her chin.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your comment make sense. I am not a photographer but I do know how the photo is take can have a big impact on what one sees. Your photos appear to be more what I call having a flat light or even light over the coin (although #2 does have a little hot spot). This versus one that has a more direct point of light(s). These will produce what some call hot spots or luster beams I say. The flat light gives a more detailed picture. The hot spots show the luster of the coin. I look at coins under a lamp in general and I like the hot spots because that is what I am used to seeing on a coin. Oh and hiding hairlines is not a problem and why grading proofs from photos is kind of senseless. Good thread and like the reading.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I too thought they might be high grade au because of the shield and the birds chest... Perhaps theya re just weak strike points instead?

Either way thanks for sharing! Nice coins!

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

1, I don't necessarily like the retoning color on the second one.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread and interesting update. 👍

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Great thread. This quote from @BryceM "After many years in the hobby I've learned that my initial impression when seeing a coin rarely changes the longer I own it." really rings true for me. It's easy to try to talk yourself into a coin despite a flaw of some sort that caught your eye, especially if potential acquisitions are few and far between, but it never seems to turn out well in the long run.

• Options

While coin #1 is the nicer coin, I did not expect both coins to be of the same grade. I thought i could save some money if I could buy coin #2. This shows the range within a grade, even a grade of MS62.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file