Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting eBay transaction - 13 year return privilege? ANOTHER UPDATE

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf Any update? What did you decide to do?

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭

Have you made up your mind what your decision is?

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf 'but I accepted your word and your letter guaranteeing it was the very same coin and that it was a business strike (that is what I understood your guarantee to mean), I believed you then and I still believe you now'

Nowhere did it say you guaranteed grade or strike. You guaranteed it is the same coin that was in the slab and that it was genuine. Period. He's twisting your words. Your words are very plain in your guarantee, and he proved both, well at least that it's genuine 3+ times. He has no way to prove it wasn't the coin that was slabbed by ANACS, and furthermore you have little proof the coin he has is even the same one you sold him without a forensic analysis (which is probably impossible at this point without high res photos from 13 years ago).

You should tell him that you stand by the guarantee of 'genuine' only exactly as it was written 13 years ago and he has ample proof of it being genuine. You cannot honor his misinterpretation from 13 years ago.

And you should have a perfectly clear conscience of this. This is business and he is in the wrong. He simply misinterpreted your guarantee and that is not your problem or your fault. Please for the love of all that is shiny... Just let him go. He's not reasonable. He rejected your overly generous and quite unnecessary offer of ($400?) already.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

I’m with most of the people here. It’s late so I read like half the first page, but you promised it’s genuine. It is. Therefore, he can go “pound sand”. I think he’s trying to take you for a ride and take advantage of your morals. If I sold someone a coin with the promise it’s real, and then they tried to get me to pay them more than it is worth (without any actual proof it’s the same coin) I’d tell them to “pound sand” it’s been 13 years. I also have a hard time anyone can mistake a MS cleaned coin for a straight graded proof.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Based on the particulars of this thread, I expect to see a decision 13 years from now.😉

That's actually a great idea, agree to give him whatever money 13 years after he shuts up. I'm a big fan of inaction as a conflict resolution tool. Maybe it will go away. But if it doesn't, you can feel good every day that you've been a decisive good guy. The clock resets every time he opens his trap. This clause really should be in every guarantee.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PipestonePete said:
    jmlanzaf....how about a status update? Have you made a decision on what you intend to do?

We're on a "time-out". LOL. He asked me to reconsider my $400 offer (and raise it). I asked him to please reconsider my $400 offer as a fair compromise.

He is oddly fine with getting nothing. He really hasn't pestered me at all. It's a little strange. I mean, if it were me, I would take the $400 which is about $140 or $150 more than the coin is worth. But he's still saying "I want $534 but I'm fine with zero if you won't give $534" - I'm paraphrasing slightly, but that is what he said.

• Options

@leothelyon said:
    Depends upon how much influence you had in his decision to buy the coin as a MS coin thereby paying the higher price. Since most of what transpired between you two was not documented and agreed upon before the sale transpired, what other recourse does the buyer have other than pleading to your guilty conscience? lol
    But that's what you two need to sort out, letting the guy know that you did not influence his decision. But maybe you did. But not knowing what all was said, it'll only go back and forth with other hearsay claims. Splitting the difference was a practical solution and you should stick with that.....unless you can convince the guy otherwise. But it may be that the both of you played/are at fault, into the guy's decision......even after 13 years.

Leo

It was an ebay sale. At the time, he asked for some kind of guarantee. I'm quite sure he wouldn't have bought the coin without the guarantee. But I really don't remember what the specific guarantee was. I would ASSUME it related to the MS nature of the coin. However, I clearly avoiding specifically guaranteeing the MS nature of the coin in my guarantee. I only guaranteed that ANACS called the coin MS details.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@MFeld said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Based on the particulars of this thread, I expect to see a decision 13 years from now.😉

@giantsfan20 said:

@MFeld Since my "guarantee" has no expiration date, I may be dealing with his granddaughter some day.

As I mentioned in another post, but just tagging you folks who asked: I asked him to please consider my $400 offer and let me know if he changed his mind. He responded to reconsider the $534 and let him know if I change my mind. Neither of us has reached out since.

[Side note: As I said to others who have somewhat mischaracterized the buyer, he has not been shrill or threatening or unreasonable. I mean, if you don't consider the original request unreasonable. But he even apologized for making the request after 13 years when he first contacted me. So while he may be a bit OCD, I don't consider him to be anything more troublesome.]

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@leothelyon said:
    Depends upon how much influence you had in his decision to buy the coin as a MS coin thereby paying the higher price. Since most of what transpired between you two was not documented and agreed upon before the sale transpired, what other recourse does the buyer have other than pleading to your guilty conscience? lol
    But that's what you two need to sort out, letting the guy know that you did not influence his decision. But maybe you did. But not knowing what all was said, it'll only go back and forth with other hearsay claims. Splitting the difference was a practical solution and you should stick with that.....unless you can convince the guy otherwise. But it may be that the both of you played/are at fault, into the guy's decision......even after 13 years.

Leo

It was an ebay sale. At the time, he asked for some kind of guarantee. I'm quite sure he wouldn't have bought the coin without the guarantee. But I really don't remember what the specific guarantee was. I would ASSUME it related to the MS nature of the coin. However, I clearly avoiding specifically guaranteeing the MS nature of the coin in my guarantee. I only guaranteed that ANACS called the coin MS details.

It's clear that you honored your written guarantee. And in your previous post, you wrote: "He is oddly fine with getting nothing." So let him be "oddly fine" with getting nothing, already.

Hi Mark,

Happy Monday!

Well, that's sort of where I ended up. I will buy the coin for $400 if he changes his mind. But I'm not entertaining going to $534.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@leothelyon said:

Leo

It's clear that you honored your written guarantee. And in your previous post, you wrote: "He is oddly fine with getting nothing." So let him be "oddly fine" with getting nothing, already.

Hi Mark,

Happy Monday!

Well, that's sort of where I ended up. I will buy the coin for $400 if he changes his mind. But I'm not entertaining going to $534.

Happy Monday back at you.

Well, that wouldn't be as oddly fine on your part as agreeing to pay more than $400. ;)
    How long are you going to give him to change his mind? How about a hard deadline? Please!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:
    Did you give him a deadline for your offer or is it good forever like your guarantee on the coin?

Oh, forever is fine. LOL. If he waits long enough, maybe the coin will be worth $400!

Apparently, some people don't learn from their 13 year-old mistakes. >:)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:
    Did you give him a deadline for your offer or is it good forever like your guarantee on the coin?

Oh, forever is fine. LOL. If he waits long enough, maybe the coin will be worth $400!

Apparently, some people don't learn from their 13 year-old mistakes. >:)

LOL. I had told him I would reconnect in a couple weeks to (hopefully) put an end to this one way or the other. On the other hand...what good is my forever guarantee if it doesn't come with a forever buyout offer. ;)

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2022 6:18AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    LOL. I had told him I would reconnect in a couple weeks to (hopefully) put an end to this one way or the other. On the other hand...what good is my forever guarantee if it doesn't come with a forever buyout offer. ;)

When you resolve this claim, one way or the other, please consider adding some verbiage specific to the original "unrestricted" guarantee. Namely, that you now consider the guarantee to be 'satisfied/void', as the buyer has established the the subject coin is indeed "genuine".

IOW, 'close' the issue for good.

• Options

at this point, the whole thing sounds kinda flirty

let's keep the thread alive and be happy for everyone when it gets romantic

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sears used to have a lifetime warranty on Craftsman tools.......................You could find a beat-up tool in the gutter of the highway, take it to Sears and get a brand new one free of charge, no questions asked......................Sears is pretty much out of business now.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Sears used to have a lifetime warranty on Craftsman tools.......................You could find a beat-up tool in the gutter of the highway, take it to Sears and get a brand new one free of charge, no questions asked......................Sears is pretty much out of business now.

I have a quick story about that... My biz associate's previous career was in construction. They used a lot of Craftsman tools due to the guarantee because when you're building things like grain handling systems, the tools take a pounding. They were on a job in North Dakota and, long story short, the Sears in a nearby town finally told them they weren't going to honor the guarantee any longer and that they'd have to go to another Sears instead, because they kept running them out of certain wrenches, sockets etc. that were commonly being used and destroyed... :D

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

I would say you're covered. You only guaranteed "genuine". It's not a counterfeit coin so MS or Proof shouldn't matter. Isn't grading subjective?

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously @jmlanzaf just stop responding at this point... Unless you just like toying with him, then have at it 😅👏

If he reaches out again you should seriously tell him he has 24 hours. If he doesn't accept then the offer is off the table; you have more than held up your end of the bargain as has been explained as nauseum. He's obviously not being reasonable... What idiot wouldn't take your money and run or nothing? and you have been more gracious than you ever needed to be.

• Options
    foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

I would refund him and be done with it. It's quite possible he too has agonized over the right thing to do and that led to his binary view. As you've said there doesn't seem to be an attempt at fraud or harassment from the buyer. The amount of difference between your offer and his request is more than covered by inflation. Further, the loss is exceeded by the endorsement of people knowing you would even entertain such a ridiculous situation. I would chalk this up to the cost of being willing to offer guarantees. You get some extra wins and also this kind of thing. Consider more specific language, better record keeping in the future, and be thankful you're managing to navigate life as an honorable person.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should offer him $595 and tell him you won’t consider paying him anything less, just to see what his reaction is. But only if you have extra money laying around that doesn’t matter to you, which is doubtful. It would reverse the tables and he would feel like you do when he is saying to you he is fine with either $534 or $0.

I don’t expect you to do this, but it would be fun to reverse things like that

Mr_Spud

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@MFeld said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@giantsfan20 said:

@MFeld Since my "guarantee" has no expiration date, I may be dealing with his granddaughter some day.

As I mentioned in another post, but just tagging you folks who asked: I asked him to please consider my $400 offer and let me know if he changed his mind. He responded to reconsider the $534 and let him know if I change my mind. Neither of us has reached out since.

[Side note: As I said to others who have somewhat mischaracterized the buyer, he has not been shrill or threatening or unreasonable. I mean, if you don't consider the original request unreasonable. But he even apologized for making the request after 13 years when he first contacted me. So while he may be a bit OCD, I don't consider him to be anything more troublesome.]

As I said above, I don't think your buyer is being ridiculous, but I harbor serious reservations about HIS buyer.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

Yeah I do miss the Sears Hardware we had locally. Lowes sells Craftsman tools now. You can warranty Craftsman tools there now.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TomB said:

@tcollects said:

I think I already found it in the Hallmark Christmas 2022 movie lineup!

Which one am i?

You’re the bag the guy’s carrying over his left-facing shoulder.😉

I believe the correct name for that accessory is a "murse"

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhilLynott said:
    I would be so embarrassed to be the buyer requesting a refund 13 years later. People have no shame.

This reminds me of a customer I dealt with in my business a few years back. Totally different circumstance and different industry but I was picturing this guy when reading thread just a similar head scratching type of human. We did nothing wrong and still I offered him a full refund which since the work was already done was a $600 loss for us. He didn't want it he preferred to feel "wronged" and my presumption was if he accepted the full refund he could no longer feel that way since he was made whole. He'd rather not have the $600 and feel taken by us for some reason. He kept bringing up another company that did him wrong in the 90s and he still tells everyone he knows about them and the way he talked about it he has a sense of pride like he was a hero of the people for this.

He left our only BBB complaint in 40 years and it's been a year now without contact but for a year he'd send an email every couple months with nonsense that I eventually just ignored.

People are weird.

Sounds like a martyr. Like you said, he didn't want to be happy with the transaction.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2022 6:51PM

Just ignore, block him. The eBay return period expired what - 13 years ago? Why still having that convo with him?

When their BS starts it’s time for them to get lost. I certainly would not tolerate that drama or constant nuisance.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@TomB said:

@tcollects said:

I think I already found it in the Hallmark Christmas 2022 movie lineup!

Which one am i?

Well, @jmlanzaf, I don't want to presume to know how you identify, but you could either be Matt (on the left) or Alice (on the right). Matt has an MBA, quit his job in the world of finance, builds furniture, bakes cookies and can build a watch movement in a single night. Oh, and his fiancé left him to move to Paris. Alice owns a struggling antique shop, loves all things Christmas, lives in the city with her all-corporate, all-money fiancé , loves family traditions, also bakes cookies and aims to please.

My favorite scene in the movie is after they are both concussed in a car accident (they drove into a large tree) and laying in adjacent hospital beds and Matt says "I don't know about you, but where I'm from love walks through the rain..." to which Alice replies "Yeah, it does...it has to". My daughters and I will randomly break out that quote from time-to-time and laugh like hell while my wife internally questions her life choices.

In case you are wondering. Yes, I have seen the movie perhaps a dozen times or more. Yes, it was one of my youngest's favorite movies of all time. Yes, we own it on DVD and watch it any time of year.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

The grading services honor their grades but only within a specific time frame especially with coins that are more likely to degrade due to conditions. And they will wriggle out of guarantees if the coin is not in the original holder, the holder has degraded or has been stored improperly. If this had been in the first year there might be standing to ask for redress. But the fact it was a raw coin would make it very hard to substantiate it was the same coin as originally sold without proper photographs. The business strike as a couple others have said was assumed in the transaction and we could give a lot of examples where the consumer thought he was getting "x" and instead got "y" and that is what the contract was based on. I don't like to let open wounds fester; why I would have laid out what I would consider a fair resolution initially and then require communication in writing via some oversight experts.

• Options

@jmlanzaf Has there ever been a resolution to this?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guaranteed it to be genuine, and the same coin that was in the holder - and it is (or was 13 years ago). You owe this person absolutely nothing.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

With expiration of return period 13 years ago this issue is dead.

No reason engage him in convo.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Bumping this just because I don't think we ever heard the outcome...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, this is the first time I've seen this thread. After getting caught up, I really hope this goofball got nothing. I can not believe this was a 6 page discussion.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    Wow, this is the first time I've seen this thread. After getting caught up, I really hope this goofball got nothing. I can not believe this was a 6 page discussion.

He refused my compromise offer. I never heard from him again.

That is one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard. Door #1 ($400), Door #2 (nothing). "Ill take door #2 🤪". Please please please, do not entertain these shenanigans if he contacts you again. You've been more (WAY more) than fair, and no one from this forum should ever question your integrity in the future 😂

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@DeplorableDan said:

He refused my compromise offer. I never heard from him again.

That is one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard. Door #1 ($400), Door #2 (nothing). "Ill take door #2 🤪". Please please please, do not entertain these shenanigans if he contacts you again. You've been more (WAY more) than fair, and no one from this forum should ever question your integrity in the future 😂

Yeah. I didn't understand it at all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file