Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Under-graded coins

OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

We've all got that one coin in our collection that when you first see it you ask yourself "Huh?". Then you look closer and ask yourself again..."HUH? Let me get my checkbook out!"

Post your under-graded coins.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

Comments

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was the grade?

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    I'm pretty sure that ALL of my coins are under graded :D

Under graded isn't the same thing as ungraded 🤣😅🙃😉

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2022 4:50PM

@2windy2fish said:
    What was the grade?

PCGS XF 45

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the last couple years with turn around times much slower at the grading services, it is really hard to do a resubmission.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can think of two coins I have that one of the smartest people in the room think are undergraded. I have one that I know is overgraded.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I know the grade, I did not want to comment until you did. I am hopeful you will show me this coin in Rosemount. From what I can tell, it is at least two grade points low (min 53 from what I think I see)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin can grade MS64 to one person and MS67 to another. That's the beast of this world. Many coins (Jefferson nickels for me) should be pulled back in grade mainly due to strike flaws. But we can't expect every collector to be so precise in grading coins. Whatever accomplishment they have acheived, they must be praised.

Leo ;)

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OKbustchaser said:

We've all got that one coin in our collection that when you first see it you ask yourself "Huh?". Then you look closer and ask yourself again..."HUH? Let me get my checkbook out!"

Post your under-graded coins.

Looks like a great VF to me. What’s the problem? 🤔

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

Yeah, it would be a great VF. Wish I paid VF money for her...or even XF money for that matter. ;)

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought NGC was a little tough grading this VF20.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2022 5:57AM

MS64 - I don't know... seems nicer to me.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

p62

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 That 1899 2 !/2 gold looks way under graded. Its a beauty.
    @asheland The 1903 looks really nice, but seems to lack the luster for a higher grade. At least from the photos. It could probably make 64. Its worth more in that holder I would imagine. Try for CAC?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2022 7:23AM

Some nice coins here.

• Options
    edited August 9, 2022 7:23AM

+1

• Options
    edited August 9, 2022 7:24AM

+1

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland Seriously, that $2.5 is disgustingly under-graded. Every time I see it my eyes bug out. B)

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last submission that was dropped off on 1st of April at the Baltimore show this year was quite the disappointment (especially the 2021 Mint releases of reverse proof ASE, Morgans and Peace) after it took almost four months to recieve the higher priced "regular" service graded shipment back.
    The "economy" submission that was mailed in and logged into their system a day prior to my submission that was dropped off had come in a month earlier and was on par for grades.
    :|

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog Looks under graded to me also. I would send it back in and give them another chance to get it right.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2022 9:59AM

@asheland said:

This is the most glaringly under graded coin in this thread so far. VERY nice 👌👍 I love these old NGC holders too. Great opportunities for upgrades or the green bean 😎👍

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    @Eldorado9 That 1899 2 !/2 gold looks way under graded. Its a beauty.
    @asheland The 1903 looks really nice, but seems to lack the luster for a higher grade. At least from the photos. It could probably make 64. Its worth more in that holder I would imagine. Try for CAC?

Initially, I bought it for the slab LOL so no regrading, if anything, it would go to CAC

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave
    That is one fine speciman. Love the tone and the luster. I'm sure Liberty's left breast caused the low grade, but I still can't see it below AU53. Then that's just my opinion. Love the coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

If it were nice,or really nice,it would be really nice ,

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather under-pay for an over-graded coin than an under-graded coin.......or is that the other way around? :p

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2022 5:24PM

If you feel that your coin is undergraded, send it in for reconsideration/regrade....or to CAC for a possible bean; green or possibly gold

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

This seems a bit undergraded.

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

Beautiful coins! I have a box of nearly 20 graded coins that I can't sell because they're undergraded. I'm too lazy to try for beans or upgrades since I'm not selling them anyway, so I just enjoy having super nice examples! Pretty sure lots of folks on this forum are in the same position.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file