Home U.S. Coin Forum

We Want Kennedy - Post your Kennedys!

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2022 2:58PM

@coinkat said:
    What is the size of the Kennedy button? Looks to be a litho

Can you post an image of the back?

I do not recall seeing this one before... could be from Kennedy's Senate re-election in 1958

The "We Want Kennedy Again" button is from a modern recreation which claims it was produced using "original campaign art". I looked but I haven't found that art with that specific style yet so I'm curious too!

The slogan also exists on this "We Want/Need Kennedy" button from the JFK Presidential Library & Archives website hosted by the National Archives. Are the Presidential Archives the best source of period material?

https://jfk.artifacts.archives.gov/objects/18092/we-wantneed-kennedy-button

NOTE: I've updated the campaign button post to include this image with a note that the other is a modern creation.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this Kennedy in a drawer and have a question about it. The obverse chin and neck are pretty scratched up, but the long scratch/die break on the neck, I wonder is it a scratch or a die break? Doesn't really matter, but just curious.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2022 12:25PM

@Zoins

It is a modern re-creation instead of something historical that was actually a campaign item- whether it be a senatorial item from 1952 or 58... a Kennedy for VP item from 1956 (which would have been a very cool choice for something that was created for the moment- the 1956 Democratic Convention) - or something that I chose to add which was adequately explained in my post. The 4" Youth for Kennedy captures the moment, the campaign and the candidate himself. And that is why it was added to your thread.

Simply stated this a modern recreation and that IS the problem... and frankly it is not any different from posting fake slabs and counterfeit coins that folks here love to complain about. Unfortunately, there are very few Political Collectors that post here who are willing to call out such crap when it happens... and it rarely happens... but that does not excuse allowing misinformation- which would be the posting of a fantasy button that was not part of any JFK campaigns.

For authentic JFK campaign material, The APIC (American Political Items Collectors) is a significantly better choice for what was and what was not used in any Presidential campaign. Reproductions and fantasy items can and often are sold at Presidential libraries as souvenirs.

Again... please remove the fake item that you have posted.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    Very close to highest grade at Pf 69 Star Cameo.

Here is PCGS's counterpart.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

edited August 14, 2022 3:40PM

@coinkat said:
    @Zoins

It is a modern re-creation instead of something historical that was actually a campaign item- whether it be a senatorial item from 1952 or 58... a Kennedy for VP item from 1956 (which would have been a very cool choice for something that was created for the moment- the 1956 Democratic Convention) - or something that I chose to add which was adequately explained in my post. The 4" Youth for Kennedy captures the moment, the campaign and the candidate himself. And that is why it was added to your thread.

Simply stated this a modern recreation and that IS the problem... and frankly it is not any different from posting fake slabs and counterfeit coins that folks here love to complain about. Unfortunately, there are very few Political Collectors that post here who are willing to call out such crap when it happens... and it rarely happens... but that does not excuse allowing misinformation- which would be the posting of a fantasy button that was not part of any JFK campaigns.

For authentic JFK campaign material, The APIC (American Political Items Collectors) is a significantly better choice for what was and what was not used in any Presidential campaign. Reproductions and fantasy items can and often are sold at Presidential libraries as souvenirs.

Again... please remove the fake item that you have posted.

It shouldn't be surprising that few political collectors post here since this is a coin forum and not a political forum.

I am certainly not an expert in political memorabilia (though I do have a few items), so I didn't know the details of the item I posted initially. I was simply looking for a good slogan for the thread. That being said, I have done some research since you brought this up and have updated the post to indicate it's a modern creation, along with the period button with the same slogan which the National Archives indicates is from the 1960 campaign.

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Of note, since this is a coin thread on a coin forum, if you review the coins in this thread, you'll find some modern interpretations as well.

And please post a coin, if you wish. I love the coins everyone has posted and I'm curious to see what you have! :)

@MWallace said:

Great collection!

It's neat that these are all 64s!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I have made an adequate contribution.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both in my 7070

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2022 8:26AM

Some of my ephemera from 11/22/63, all from the estate of a banker in Dallas (and probably a big donor to the Democratic party):

• Dallas Trade Mart luncheon invitation and seating assignment. JFK was headed here when he was assassinated.
    • Love Field Airport Reception badge
    • Telegram invitation from the State Democratic Executive Committee to a special reception for JFK in Austin later that day.
    • 2 tickets to the Texas Welcome Dinner in Austin that evening.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should be receiving my Amazon order of 20 BU 40% Kennedys any moment?
    Hopefully, I will have a couple of stunners to post?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    Someday I'll send this one in for PCGS restoration services. :D

Do you have a close-up of this area?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Found this Kennedy in a drawer and have a question about it. The obverse chin and neck are pretty scratched up, but the long scratch/die break on the neck, I wonder is it a scratch or a die break? Doesn't really matter, but just curious.
    Jim

Looks maybe struck through wire in those close ups.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of the roll,

My 2 Best Ones!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some nice ones.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my two 3D JFK pop-up coins. The proof Kennedy's are the ones that I pulled out of a $500 box of rolled Kennedy half dollars.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• SnapsSnaps Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2022 8:22PM

I believe this is a 1966 SMS "No FG" coin I picked off eBay. Some of the banner is missing. Also missing are the rays and stars near the eagle's head. There is a very faint showing of the G.

• bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭

• BeeManBeeMan Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

I bought this when I was 14 back in 1976. It was from an ad in the newspaper. The stamp is allegedly 23kt gold.

Watch the mirror count the lines
    The battle scars of all the good times

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure it’s a top pop but it’s 2 grades higher than any other I own, of the same vintage which are 67PL. I’m absolutely over joyed to have cherry picked this little beauty. Fdoi to boot 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JFK_Collector said:
    2005 - P SP70 Pop 7/0

Tom, that is a beautiful coin.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2022 10:10AM

THIS SPACE IS RESERVED

21 1 In Process In Process 1964 50C In Process USA
    22 1 In Process In Process 1972-D 50C In Process USA
    23 1 In Process In Process 1976-D 50C In Process USA