Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

World Coins: follow the leader by THEME game

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 12:19PM

@IVB said:
    Morocco, or another North African state.

I don't have Morocco (not any photographed, anyway). Let's do Egypt. Both ancient and modern.

Egypt (Ptolemaic Kingdom): silver didrachm of Ptolemy VI "Philometer", ca. 163-145 BC

Egypt: silver 2-piastres of King Farouk, AH 1356 (1937)

Next: A modern coin that commemorates something ancient.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 1:49PM

Hmm, how about this modern Turkish commemorative celebrating the excavations at Catalhoyuk. This was cuvilization’s first large “city” between 5,000-10,000 years ago, with a population of about 10,000 at its peak. A relatively recent archaeological find, it is being slowly and methodically uncovered. The obverse depicts an ancient mural at the site, the reverse some of the dig finds.

Next: let’s see a coin with more than one elephant

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    IVBIVB Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Small uniface coin (1 fuang) from Cambodia XIX century. The Mythical Hamsa Bird.

Next: more mythical creatures.

• Options
    edited March 19, 2023 1:04AM

Mythical creatures.

Time for some griffins. (And a sturgeon, for a bonus, on the second piece.)

Next, playing off that, let's have coins with fish on them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

A lot of fish.

Next: any sea life other than fish.

• Options

^ That’s a neat modern design. I like it.

• Options
    edited March 19, 2023 5:33AM

Sea creatures other than fish (though there’s a rather unlucky fish, too):

Sicily, Akragas: silver hemidrachm, ca. 410-406 BC

Obverse- eagle right, clutching dead hare in its talons, barley grain behind.
    Reverse- Crab, with ketos (sea monster) below, swimming left with fish in its jaws.

16 mm, 1.8 g. SNG ANS 1012. Ex-Gitbud-Naumann, Germany.

Next: more predatory activity.

• Options

I don't know if this can be qualified as "predatory activity", but here we see the result of the activity of one of the most dangerous predators – Homo Sapiens.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IVB said:
    I don't know if this can be qualified as "predatory activity", but here we see the result of the activity of one of the most dangerous predators – Homo Sapiens.

Horrible image

• Options

Yes, very chilling image.

Works for me. What's the new theme, @IVB ?

• Options

If anybody had gotten stumped over the "predatory activity" theme, I was gonna point out that most Mexican coins have an eagle biting a snake on them.

• Options

New theme: non-British queen.

• Options

Non-British queen.

Will a Roman empress do? Here's Julia Mamaea.

Continue with another non-British female monarch.

• Options
    edited March 20, 2023 4:55AM

Maria Theresia

Next: Real woman, but not a monarch (worker, scientist, public figure, etc.)

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

next theme: a child, but not a monarch

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options

Next: trees.

• Options

Trees.

Liberia proof cent.

Napoleon funeral medal, 1840, for his second funeral in Paris.

Next: more Liberia... or Napoleon. Take your pick.

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Theme- Napoleon

New theme- A person who spent time in prison or exile

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options

Louis XVI
    Imprisoned
    This coin was minted in Lille, I like to think while he was in prison. I could be corrected.

• Options

New theme, Gil?

• Options
    edited March 21, 2023 12:13PM

@lordmarcovan said:
    New theme, Gil?

Sorry
    How about an example of seige coinage

• Options

Without cheating by calling a sword a “knife”, I find myself woefully short on depictions of table utensils, and shall have to sit this round out. ~shrug~

• Options

Spoon
    Belarus 20 roubles Maslenitsa (not mine)

Next: national ornaments.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2023 1:15AM

National ornaments.

The orange branch on this coin from Curacao symbolizes the ruling Dutch House of Orange, I believe.

Next up: coin with fruit.

• Options

Next: sea creatures.

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

The Ketos sea monster, from Caria, Halicarnassus.

Next theme: Flowers (for the onset of spring)

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options

I'm sorry, but technically bananas, grapes, coffee, and cotton are not fruits.

• Options

"Bananas are both a fruit and not a fruit. While the banana plant is colloquially called a banana tree, it's actually an herb distantly related to ginger, since the plant has a succulent tree stem, instead of a wood one. The yellow thing you peel and eat is, in fact, a fruit because it contains the seeds of the plant."

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Flowers: This 2011 Niue $2 features daisies on both sides.

Next theme: An unpopular leader or ruler.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options

Unpopular, if all that “fiddled while Rome burned” stuff is to be believed.

Next: a tyrant.

• Options
    Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2023 12:02PM

Good tyrant is dead tyrant. Charles 2.

Next coin of Revolution.

Peace.

• Options

@Sergey74 said:

That’s Charles I. Nice coin.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2023 12:21PM

I think this coin celebrates a revolution, though it was struck seven years afterward.

If that doesn’t work, keep going with the Revolution theme. Maybe something from the French Revolution. Or Haiti, or…

• Options

@lordmarcovan said:

@Sergey74 said:

That’s Charles I. Nice coin.

Yes, certainly... 1641-43, Tower mint.

Peace.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2023 2:10PM

Lordmarcovan, it isn't about Revolution, new power of communists after civil war (1917-22) began issue new coins in silver and in the same weight like imperial coins in trying to start ecomomic work. It was the rouble 1921-22, then this one year type with the same parameters with this propaganda inscription and picture. The coin is beautiful, the old master's art and i am not communist certainly). Sorry for bad English.
    So... I think you can to take the coin to Revolution with this propaganda. Maybe yes... Not the Revolution but about it something.

Peace.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2023 6:33PM

We will let the next player do revolution, then.

• Options

One dollar, Chine, the first year of Republic after the Revolution 1911, military government of Szechuen province.

Next... Something colonial in the Northern America before the American war for independence.

Peace.

• Options

Nobody posted, so I propose a new theme: a coin depicted on a coin.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2023 1:14AM

@IVB said:
    Nobody posted, so I propose a new theme: a coin depicted on a coin.

I have always liked the "coins on coins" theme, though I don't have many representative pieces. This will have to do. There are coins (I'm sure they're gold!) pouring out of the cornucopia, there. See 'em? :)

France (Compagnie La Prévoyance): silver jeton (insurance token) engraved by Paulin Tasset, 1869
    (PCGS MS63)

Next, I thought of saying "cornucopia", but let's go with more scantily-clad ladies! ;)

• Options

Cool token! I also think that only gold coins should fall out of the cornucopia.

Scantily-clad ladies

Next: national heroes.

• Options

Sun Yatsen

Next coin with emperor killed by republicans.

Peace.

• Options

Not an emperor, but a king. 1 Sol Louis XVI

If that fits, then the next theme is:
    Symbols of death: skull, skeleton, gallows and so on...

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Theme: Skull

Franz Josef Gall Medal- Pseudoscientist who came up with phrenology

Lets continue the skull theme...

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    edited March 24, 2023 2:27PM

More skully stuff...

Belgium (Liège, Chapter of St. Lambert): copper communion token; memento mori, ca. 1680s

Three years ago I was fortunate enough to acquire a handful of different varieties of these in a big collection lot I won in a Belgian auction. The top right piece, dated 1686, was my favorite. I later had it slabbed by PCGS and it went XF45. That was the one piece I held back for myself after I sold the rest, but someone later persuaded me to sell it. (Since I was up to my neck in credit card debt at the time, I relented.) I have had a bit of seller's remorse ever since.

Next- any interesting handful of coins- be it a literal handful, or a Maundy set, proof set, whatever.

• Options

It's 90 grams 1000 cash 1853

Next coin the first issue of new government.

Peace.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2023 8:29AM

Let's continue with a new theme: bees.
    For example, Slovenia. 5 tolariev 1993, Establishment of Operosorum Labacensium Academia.

Next theme: more bees.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2023 8:59PM

Hhh... yesterday i thought about the next theme "imperor who was shot down with the court sentence". But you came and said "bees"). So i don't have the coins with bees but have some coins of shot down emperors...

Peace.