Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

July 2022 Pickups Thread

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

New month, same card starts it as last month. Why, you ask? Because I’m still that happy! And it looks different and somehow the same card looks even better! Granted, it was never a perfect copy but the thrill of finding it and the legitimate scarcity makes me really happy with it and proud of it. With just 135 graded (122 Authentic), I think it looks really sharp in the scan and on display it looks even better. I would also like to offer a major tip of the cap to PSA on turning it around so quickly (Express).

Lastly, now seeing it slabbed, I’m extra glad I left the borders alone. I think the wear is charming and straight skinny borders with sharp corners would not match the overall aesthetic.

Now, enough about this card, I want to see the cardboard treats you guys scoop this month!!!

Happy Independence Day, CU!!!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    New month, same card starts it as last month. Why, you ask? Because I’m still that happy! And it looks different and somehow the same card looks even better! Granted, it was never a perfect copy but the thrill of finding it and the legitimate scarcity makes me really happy with it and proud of it. With just 135 graded (122 Authentic), I think it looks really sharp in the scan and on display it looks even better. I would also like to offer a major tip of the cap to PSA on turning it around so quickly (Express).

Lastly, now seeing it slabbed, I’m extra glad I left the borders alone. I think the wear is charming and straight skinny borders with sharp corners would not match the overall aesthetic.

Now, enough about this card, I want to see the cardboard treats you guys scoop this month!!!

Happy Independence Day, CU!!!

hey 51Wheaties,
    Awesome turn around time from PSA for you... :) and let's hope that I can also score some cardboard treats this month as well... :)

• Options

These are> @ChelseaGrin said:

————

I’m new here and to vintage and’ve wanted a ‘63 Topps Mays for awhile because I love the design, so I snagged the first one I could find. Plan on upgrading when something better comes along.

It’s low-grade, but I came across the auction as it was ending. It’s a bit diamond cut but despite that I didn’t want to pass it up because the centering is otherwise okay compared to others I’ve been seeing w/in my price range.

My first purchase for July. Am also on the lookout for a mid-grade ‘58 Aaron

Nice card. Might just be tilt as opposed to diamond cut.

Welcome!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    My dad was laid to rest at Brigadier General William C. Doyle Memorial Cemetery, Province Line Road, Wrightstown, NJ this Tuesday. Then this arrived today.

Thank you Jesus for my dad. Very grateful.

My condolences.

Great card.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    My dad was laid to rest at Brigadier General William C. Doyle Memorial Cemetery, Province Line Road, Wrightstown, NJ this Tuesday. Then this arrived today.

@Goldenage I'm sorry for your loss. My Dad passed a little over 5 years ago, I know the journey. Praying for your comfort and strength.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@PNWcollector said:
    Nice raw pick-up. Love the rough cut on the left edge!

hey PNWcollector,
    Yeah that one's pretty cool... :)

• Options
    edited July 2, 2022 5:28PM

@kcherevka said:
    I love little oddball items like this. PSA hasn't graded any of them yet and I haven't been able to find any reliable information or checklist about them online so I'll enjoy them in their raw form for now. 1977, 1980 and 1982 NFL TV Slides Terry Bradshaw.

hey kcherevka,
    Pretty cool on your Bradshaw slide, and yes I do like to accumulate those "odd-ball" items myself... :)

• Options

@Goldenage said:

Very touching.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PNWcollector said:
    Pick-up from my LCS today.

Nice looking card. Centering is off the charts. Congrats.

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

@PNWcollector said:
    Pick-up from my LCS today.

Nice looking card. Centering is off the charts. Congrats.

Yea I was surprised to see that card in their case. Usually a bunch of overpriced VGEX-EX types

• Options

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    Happy Fourth !!!!

hey ScoobyDoo2,
    Oh my...that's a nice one... :)

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    Happy Fourth !!!!

What a beauty !!

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Amazing card and pickup Chris.
    So who wants to try to follow that?

Brian

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

What a Payton!!

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

@UFFDAH said:
    A this year pickup - SWEETNESS

I have seen you post several examples of this card over the years, Chris. So I imagine it is an especially meaningful card to you. It is an absolute beauty to behold. And I couldn’t be happier for you; thank you for always sharing your incredible pickups with these forums.

🎊🍾🎉🎈Congratulations 🎊🍾🎉🎈

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet pickup Chris! I know see what I did there. 😉
    You also grabbed a rack with him on top correct?

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

1951Wheaties Premium...

Gorgeous The Babe photo!!! Love it...

mint_only_pls
  • Options

These items are not new but they’re now in PSA slabs. More of the norm for me; solid eye appeal, lower grade vintage Yankees goodness…

hey 51Wheaties,
    nice upgrade... :)

• Options

@mintonlypls said:
    1951Wheaties Premium...

Gorgeous The Babe photo!!! Love it...

@GroceryRackPack said:

These items are not new but they’re now in PSA slabs. More of the norm for me; solid eye appeal, lower grade vintage Yankees goodness…

hey 51Wheaties,
    nice upgrade... :)

Thanks fellas!

Much appreciated.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:

Keep on crankin' out the card candy and keep on cranking those crank baits in my pond!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Goldenage said:
    Just got these back after a long hiatus

This one too. Dead centered.

hey Goldenage,
    Pretty cool Bobby O's... :)

• Options

This is the little premium photo that came with the game; the size on these is an odd 7x9.

The 'name listed' is the one PSA uses when they holder it.

1957 - 59 Gardner Toys Mickey Mantle's Big League Baseball Game Premium Photo - Mickey Mantle

A very well used pose on a variety of items from early in his career, he looks so young and happy which makes the pose one of my favorites. Specifically, this is a plain and simple looking print on almost magazine paper thin glossy stock; this specific example has some visible bending top right and other indentations that’s probably (and thankfully) more noticeable on the blank back. Low technical grade while retaining pretty strong eye appeal.

hey 51Wheaties,
    That looks very fragile... :)

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pdub1819 said:

My son pulled this Bobby Witt Jr from a box we ripped this past weekend. He was so stoked.

Congrats on the great pull from your son!!! What a thrill that must have been for him. The type of thing that keeps the collecting gene going on another generation.