**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

Comments

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2023 7:56PM

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldbully said:

Thank you @fathom, I see your point. What do most of the bulk guys do with their returns?

Sell them OGP

I thought the bulk guys don't receive OGP.

As I understand it, the "bulk trays" have traditionally not included packaging. Example

Admittedly, I do not know the specifics of the program. Is it possible for "bulk customers" to purchase both trays and individually packaged items? This approach would provide some OGP for customers that wanted it (i.e., to sell with 'returned /raw' coins that did not meet their minimum grade specification).

Edited to add the example.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldbully said:

@fathom said:

@Goldbully said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Personally, I don't think the Mint should tolerate this abuse of returns. They do not promise 70s nor should buyers expect 70 only coins. They should Institute a restocking fee.

The overall quality of the Peace dollars I have seen is awful. Some look like they were spilled in a parking lot then picked up and packaged.

Then how do you explain why well over 93% of the Peace $1's are MS70's?

That seems like very good quality control from the Mint to me.

Because the large submitters request minimum 70 grades, the rest are returned ungraded. Skews the results.

Thank you @fathom, I see your point. What do most of the bulk guys do with their returns?

Sell them OGP

That's only true with the trays of eagles. They don't package these that way.

• Options

@SPalladino said:

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gemstrike said:
    My box of 10 had 2 that are flawless, 8 have scrapes, scrathces, abrasions. Returned the 8, kept 2. Mint was quick refunding balance to my surprise.

Personally, I don't think the Mint should tolerate this abuse of returns. They do not promise 70s nor should buyers expect 70 only coins. They should Institute a restocking fee.

Why? Do you buy brand new cars and accept scratches in the paint? New furniture with dents that you pay regular price for?

Faulty analogy. Folks don't purchase 25 (or even 10) new cars, or new recliner chairs, and then keep only the one or two that appear flawless to them.

I guarantee that NO ONE has ever gotten a car that didn't have a microscopic scratch or 20.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

I am probably missing something obvious.

That said, the 40-coin trays are showing-up for the uncirculated M&P releases in the sales report, just like they do for the ASE.

Example:

Source: https://www.usmint.gov/about/production-sales-figures/cumulative-sales

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    [I guarantee that NO ONE has ever gotten a car that didn't have a microscopic scratch or 20.]

My parents once bought a new Buick and the air conditioning kept dying...while still new. After 3 or more trips back to the dealership, the dealer had the gall to say to my mom, "Nothing perfect, Mrs. X"

To which she replied, "The money I gave you was perfect!"

I would have told them they have one more chance to fix it right or lemon laws will start being enforced...

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@SPalladino said:

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gemstrike said:
    My box of 10 had 2 that are flawless, 8 have scrapes, scrathces, abrasions. Returned the 8, kept 2. Mint was quick refunding balance to my surprise.

Why? Do you buy brand new cars and accept scratches in the paint? New furniture with dents that you pay regular price for?

Faulty analogy. Folks don't purchase 25 (or even 10) new cars, or new recliner chairs, and then keep only the one or two that appear flawless to them.

I guarantee that NO ONE has ever gotten a car that didn't have a microscopic scratch or 20.

I'm not referring to microscopic defects. I'm referring to visible defects such as the one from page 33 of this thread, copied here for your convenience.

• Options

@MetroD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

I am probably missing something obvious.

That said, the 40-coin trays are showing-up for the uncirculated M&P releases in the sales report, just like they do for the ASE.

Example:

Source: https://www.usmint.gov/about/production-sales-figures/cumulative-sales

I stand corrected. I had not seen the 40 coin trays for these.

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SPalladino said:

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gemstrike said:

I'm not referring to microscopic defects. I'm referring to visible defects such as the one from page 33 of this thread, copied here for your convenience.

That is a "microscopic" defect and that's one of the larger ones I've seen.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SPalladino said:

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gemstrike said:

Not microscopic if you can see it with naked eye.

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SPalladino said:

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gemstrike said:

I'm not going to argue over microscopic but that is thinner than a human hair. And, as I said, that is one of the biggest ones I've seen.

I'm not arguing that no returns are ever warranted. But 8 out of 10? And again, the standard should not be 70.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SPalladino said:

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gemstrike said:

I'm not going to argue over microscopic but that is thinner than a human hair. And, as I said, that is one of the biggest ones I've seen.

I'm not arguing that no returns are ever warranted. But 8 out of 10? And again, the standard should not be 70.

With the background that I can't tell why most of my 69's are 69's and not 70's, I would say that if I can see why the coin is not a 70, it's deserving of being returned.

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2023 12:56AM

both morgan and peace dollar proofs are processing . the unc were released on july 12 i got morgan on 13th and peace on 14th hope its same with thest proofs release 9th arrive 10 and 11 that would be awesome

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both of mine are processing also.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

US Mint had 2 Morgans available this morning.....took 13 minutes to sell both..... :#

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed...all proofs processing!

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    US Mint had 2 Morgans available this morning.....took 13 minutes to sell both..... :#

• Options

• Options

Nothing on my end... No cc charges and no orders processing 🤔

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Tuesday fellow collectors.
    Woooooo! My presale ms70 M & P are out for delivery today! Excited to see them in hand. Pics in about 9 hours.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2023 8:40AM

Proofs are processing, but somehow my sub is for 2 Peace dollars. :#

Oh well, if they're approximately perfect (to me, which does not necessarily mean PR70) then I'll keep them. If not, I'll send one back.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

w/e 08/06/2023 United States Mint sales...

2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK 261,007 (41)
    2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK - 40 COIN 330 (13)
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK 260,646 (20)
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK - 40 COIN 338 (5)

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

That is the same seller I won some 70s from, and I was compelled to win a duplicate when I saw the low price before this one ended. Final sales prices have been up and down so much.

Side note, do people actively collect the First Strike label, as in are they more, less, or equal cost to a more basic label?
    I will end up with two first strikes and am not a fan of the first strike label.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@jmlanzaf said:

That is the same seller I won some 70s from, and I was compelled to win a duplicate when I saw the low price before this one ended. Final sales prices have been up and down so much.

Side note, do people actively collect the First Strike label, as in are they more, less, or equal cost to a more basic label?
    I will end up with two first strikes and am not a fan of the first strike label.

Yes. There are first strike registry sets but I don't know about coins applicable here, I haven't checked.
    First Strike costs $17 or so last I checked, although I think the bulk submitters get it significantly cheaper. Would love to know what the bulk First Strike charge is if anyone knows.

As far as resale, it depends on the coin for whether the resale market values it. For instance, 2008-W gold buffaloes are worth quite a bit more in First Strike. I'm not sure if it makes much difference for these but you never know. I would guess most of the coins available will have First Strike or FDOI labels so I don't know if it will hurt a coin not to have it.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK - 40 COIN 338 (

That adds up to way over 275,000 for both coins ?
    Are the 40 coin numbers in addition to the regular numbers ?

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahhh, a flashback to the salad days of Mint issues with the 2008-W Buff!
    With many before and a few after.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:

@cagcrisp said:

330x40 = 13200 + 261007 = 274,207
    338x40 = 13520 + 260646 = 274,166

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

@SPalladino said:

@HATTRICK said:

@cagcrisp said:

2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK if 261,007 (41)

Oh no :o I did 40 x 338 by mistake.
    It’s my lexdexia again. LOL
    Thanks for the correction.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@HATTRICK said:
    @SPalladino said:

@HATTRICK said:

@cagcrisp said:

40x338 is the same as 338x40????

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it possible that those posting phone screenshots make them much smaller? Sure increases the scrolling effort; after all I am getting old.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

Got my “MS70” Peace dollar and MS70 Morgan. The Morgan looks fantastic. The Peace… it is good to know that rim dings and dents do not affect the grade anymore!

• Options

It is disgusting what the TPGs put in a graded 70 slab. It has been bad for a long time and the quality is getting worse as the prices get higher.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@HATTRICK said:
    @SPalladino said:

@HATTRICK said:

@cagcrisp said:

40x338 is the same as 338x40????

That was just for fun. Actually, between my CRS and Sometimers, I have no Idea how or what numbers I came up with on the original post. :'(

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

sometimes labels look like they were made with a rubber stamp.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw the Coin Vault video on the proofs. Morgan looks superb, both look well executed.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2023 4:19AM

CC hit early AM.
    Shipping Status: PROCESSING

edited to add: Two different charges on CC. One for Morgan, one for Peace.

• Options

@Goldbully said:
    CC hit early AM.
    Shipping Status: PROCESSING

edited to add: Two different charges on CC. One for Morgan, one for Peace.

Same here!

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭

Finally in processing

• Options
    SilverPlatinumSilverPlatinum Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Me too, Shipping Status: PROCESSING and my credit card has 2 lines for charges. One for the Peace and one for the Morgan.

• Options
    edited August 9, 2023 6:05AM

• Options

@Goldbully said:

Is there a question?

• Options

Is there a question?

No, just love the word 'stunning' when referring to the proof finish......good marketing I must say.

• Options

Last three times I had a delivery from the mint by USPS I get the same scam robo call about a problem with delivery. BS
    is this happening to anyone else. Call comes from the same spoofed local number

• Options

@HATTRICK said:
    Last three times I had a delivery from the mint by USPS I get the same scam robo call about a problem with delivery. BS

My phone silences unknown callers so I don’t have that problem with the calls, however, I get those scam spoof emails all the time about shipping problems.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@HATTRICK said:

My phone silences unknown callers so I don’t have that problem with the calls, however, I get those scam spoof emails all the time about shipping problems.

I solved that problem by not answering my phone unless I know who's on the other end, and I don't open any e-mails unless I know for sure who they're from. I get hundreds of spoof e-mails every day. They fill my trash.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry if I am missing an extensive discussion on this somewhere but what is with the waiting room??

Is this the new thing for high demand issues?

How far before the launch does a waiting room start?

Again sorry if this has been extensively discussed somewhere I just don't see it.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2023 8:59AM

@Raufus said:
    Sorry if I am missing an extensive discussion on this somewhere but what is with the waiting room??

Is this the new thing for high demand issues?

How far before the launch does a waiting room start?

Again sorry if this has been extensively discussed somewhere I just don't see it.

I think at the 10 minute mark.

This has been used for the past few high volume issues.

It really works well.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go get ‘em, tigers!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

It appears folks can have their fill so far.
    Easy sailing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file