Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

Comments

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

A mintage of 275,000 is still very low...especially when HHL is 25.
    I am torn on whether to keep my order for 25. Was looking to buy to flip originally, but seems like that won't be much (or any) of a payoff. I still have my Apollo 2019 5oz pucks and the Pride of Two Nations sets that no one wants to buy at mint issue price....$3800 is a lot of money to be holding onto 50 of these.

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you are at the household limit on the subscription can you order more on the issue date. Also how long is the household limit on for after the issue date.

Thanks
    Gary

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alohagary said:
    Does anyone know if you are at the household limit on the subscription can you order more on the issue date. Also how long is the household limit on for after the issue date.

Thanks
    Gary

The day of release you will not be able to sneak an order by them. At least that’s how it’s been. Only when the HHL is removed will you be able to get more. Thanks 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@jclovescoins said:
    A mintage of 275,000 is still very low...especially when HHL is 25.
    I am torn on whether to keep my order for 25. Was looking to buy to flip originally, but seems like that won't be much (or any) of a payoff. I still have my Apollo 2019 5oz pucks and the Pride of Two Nations sets that no one wants to buy at mint issue price....$3800 is a lot of money to be holding onto 50 of these.

The Pride of two nations really is a head scratcher. The pucks seem to be not very popular. With all the input I’m not certain, unless you want a safe full of these, why you would want or need more but perhaps you have knowledge that we don’t. Good luck. Thanks 🙏

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    Keep in mind you can still buy over 100-year-old classic uncirculated Morgans graded in MS64 for just a little over $100, too.

Does anyone really think these new uncirculated moderns will actually have much upside in the long term?

True mint state Morgans can be bought relatively inexpensively but there are millions of them out there graded and raw. As I said, the 70s which will be a significant number will be traded and in demand for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

If any of these have an error or die variety...this entire conversation will turn on less than a dime!

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    If any of these have an error or die variety...this entire conversation will turn on less than a dime!

Sure will. It's the mint. Remember that box of chocolates thing.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

I personally feel that the UNC limit is fine. Silver dollars and silver eagles are by far the most popular and in demand coins. People will collect the new dollars like they collect silver eagles.

• Options
    edited July 6, 2023 10:48AM

[People will collect the new dollars like they collect silver eagles.]

Speaking of which...I would have been fine if these had outright REPLACED the silver Eagles outright...it's been a nice 30+ year run!

But at least the Mint seems to have significantly reigned in the rogue commemorative coin program...way too much product in recent years.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    [People will collect the new dollars like they collect silver eagles.]

Speaking of which...I would have been fine if these had outright REPLACED the silver Eagles outright...it's been a nice 30+ year run!

But at least the Mint seems to have significantly reigned in the rogue commemorative coin program...way too much product in recent years.

Compared to the UK, the product line has been just fine IMO. You should check out the offerings from the Royal Mint! Coin after coin after coin. Many released around the same time. It is totally ridiculous over there! Collectors of British coins will know what I mean. The Royal Mint itself cannot keep up with the issues. Shipments are delayed, and the quality has dropped significantly. Collectors are returning their coins for replacement (if possible) or refund. Lots of dissatisfied customers across the pond. The US Mint is like a breath of fresh air compared to the Royal Mint.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2023 11:23AM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    With all the input I’m not certain, unless you want a safe full of these, why you would want or need more but perhaps you have knowledge that we don’t.

I like the PCGS dual coin holder for things like this. I have from 1-4 subscribed for each of Morgan and Peace products, to allow me to work out various permutations for my dual coin holder submissions. Here's some photo examples of some that I did back in 2021: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQg1EzLGY2jKW84m0QuFvQgwoudu4voItvgnJZkyHCVCOlFkUmGGpZ1p_2L6j1cyRI4hBnuJJ5RbGUE/pub
    Definitely not done with re-sale in mind...only my own collector interest.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

LOTS of dealers offering the Morgan and Peace dollars now on pre-sale. Must be a lot already sold.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:

@Goldminers said:
    Keep in mind you can still buy over 100-year-old classic uncirculated Morgans graded in MS64 for just a little over $100, too.

Does anyone really think these new uncirculated moderns will actually have much upside in the long term?

True mint state Morgans can be bought relatively inexpensively but there are millions of them out there graded and raw. As I said, the 70s which will be a significant number will be traded and in demand for the foreseeable future.

Of course, the 2023-MS70's will be traded and in demand for a while but graded 70 uncirculated coins are already pre-selling for around $140, and only $134 each if you want more than 20. Not a lot above the cost to buy and grade.

I am noticing there are a LOT of people buying these, in quantity, to keep, or sell to others doing the same thing. The dealers already get advance shipments and discounted grading for their pre-sales. I think there will be plenty available for any true long-term collectors.

I will be surprised if these uncirculated 70's are selling for more than $200 each in 6 months, but there will be some people who will pay more than that when they are available, because they are the next new thing being hyped, especially when they say sold out.

I ordered one set in 70 like always for my modern silver collection and don't see a good reason to buy 20 of them in hopes of significant price appreciation.

The proofs, look slow now with higher mintages, but probably will get more attention later after these uncirculated coins show up. I think they will have more potential, especially the reverse proof 70's. They will certainly look better.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

Speaking only for myself, I like them. They're not expensive, compared to the vast majority of coins I buy. And did I mention that I think they're kind of pretty, and cool?

I don't worry about "upside" on any coin I buy. I worry about "downside" only on expensive coins I buy.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all who have cut back on their orders, I now have a subscription for one Uncirculated Morgan Dollar, matching the one Uncirculated Peace Dollar I was able to subscribe for two days ago. No flipping, just a chance to order and own one each of these.

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

Enrolled for 1 proof Morgan yesterday. Now I am in for 1 set of Reverse Proof, 1 Morgan Proof, and 1 Peace Proof. I would prefer the addition of a sand-blasted Morgan Proof to complete the proof type :smile:

• Options

On subscription, I have one of each of the 5 Morgan/Peace offerings. One of each is all I need for my collection. If I decide I want a set of slabbed 70s, I'll order them from a dealer. For the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars, I have a slabbed FDI MS70 set because I was unable to break through the mess on release day to order from the Mint. That was a most frustrating and unnerving experience.

• Options

Love the mintage limit of the UNC Morgan and Peace dollars

• Options
    edited July 8, 2023 5:57AM

Greysheet update this morning
    Explains the packaging from the mint 😂😂😂
    I guess if they say so it’s “ elegant “. Here’s their words…

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just ordered the Proofs for $145 each pre-sale in First Strike PR70DCAM. Just too easy.

No need to play difficult grading games like last year. Not sure I even need to get any more from the Mint.

• Options

It's2:06 Eastern and I am going to release subscriptions for 3 Uncirculated Morgans and 3 Uncirculated Peace now

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2023 11:10AM

Done good luck picking them up if you want.

You may be able to add to your Quantity if it does not show up for sale or it may be tomorrow morning at 7:30 when they become available

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

I released 21 unc morgan and 21 unc peace for others :)

4 of each is enough for me to keep.

• Options
    edited July 8, 2023 11:55AM

@jclovescoins said:
    I released 21 unc morgan and 21 unc peace for others :)

4 of each is enough for me to keep.

I have dropped to one of each. You’ll probably be happy with your decision. The proofs may be good but I’m really wishing I could see a proper picture of them. If they look good maybe a couple but we shall see

• Options

UNCS subscriptions are holding up great, would have thought there would be more cancellations a few days from release. wish I could add more

• Options

tried to get more unc subcriptions, did't appear to have any available

• Options

@alohagary said:

try to change number on existing subscription. worked for me on the proof. otherwise try at 7:30AM Eastern Sunday morning. also may be locked for shipping already.

• Options

@alohagary said:

Keep going to your enrollments at different times and as Hattrick mentioned add there.
    Also they are available and you might grab some on the 13th. It’s not that bad with the waiting room and all.
    Wow. I wonder if they are going to do the waiting room? Any thoughts

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alohagary said:

Try right now I just added 1 more of each and it worked.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2023 2:17PM

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@alohagary said:

Keep going to your enrollments at different times and as Hattrick mentioned add there.
    Also they are available and you might grab some on the 13th. It’s not that bad with the waiting room and all.

Yes, they will do the waiting room. These are VERY popular, and there will only be around 27K of each available. The Mint has no idea whether or not it is going to get slammed by bots, so they will most certainly fire up the waiting room.

Depending on whether or not a few big dealers try to grab all 27K at once, or whether one of the buying clubs has fired up the troops to go grab these, they will either be a rapid sell-out, at 25 per order, or will dribble out throughout the day, and then sell-out at the latest when HHLs are lifted on the 14th.

Based on the action to date, they will definitely sell-out. Based on the pre-sale pricing of 70s, they will not be home runs, other than for large dealers who are getting bulk pricing on grading and then probably making around 50% on each 70, in volume, while breaking even or making a little on the 69s.

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

I suspect yes, they will.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2023 2:38PM

Another question rattling around my brain 🧠
    Will they lower the HHL on the 13 th just before the release ?

• Options

More numbers to decipher....The sales pages (not subscription pages) for the Morgan and Peace unc have stocklevel listed at:
    Morgan unc: 223,539
    Peace unc: 223,539
    That means 51,461 (Morgsan unc) and 51,361 (Peace unc) are not part of the available stocklevel. (about 18.7% of mintage of each)
    If 10% was siphoned off for the ABPP, that would account for 27,500 of each.
    Perhaps more than 10% was diverted for the ABPP?
    Or, perhaps the balance in excess of 27,500 for each is being held by the mint for on-site sales, replacements of returns, etc?
    Of course, it will all sort itself out, but understanding US Mint accounting can be an interesting proposition.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2023 5:53PM

Reset to 1 each.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint will have a booth at the FUN show this upcoming week. Will they offer these at the show?

• Options

@1madman said:
    The mint will have a booth at the FUN show this upcoming week. Will they offer these at the show?

Yes they will

• Options
    edited July 9, 2023 9:34AM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Another question rattling around my brain 🧠
    Will they lower the HHL on the 13 th just before the release ?

Why would they? The idea is to give as many people as possible a shot, while also selling out as quickly as possible. They did a pretty good job meeting both objectives with these.

They have been available long enough, and will be putting more on sale next week. I'm sure at this point they just want to be done. Why would they lower the limit just before the release, when they are going to lift the limit altogether 24 hours later?

To prevent a fast sell-out? No, because I'm sure they would LOVE a fast sell-out. While that might excite some people, and would ordinarily cause the secondary market to spike, I just don't think that will happen here, due to how long they have been available for subscription, and due to the fact that dealers seem to be able to get all they need.

Just no reason to risk losing momentum by making it more difficult to sell out by lowering the HHL right before release. Not gonna happen.

To be honest, I forgot all about FUN. That means there will even be a few thousand less than I thought available online. It will be interesting to see if dealers create a frenzy there by having people line up to grab them all for FDOI TPG labels.

• Options

12:18 PM Eastern I just released 1 of each option in subscriptions.

I am now in for one of each Raw and one of each in 70 slabs for my own enjoyment. :)

• Options

I just received an offer for a discount on a 2023 peace dollar in 70. I’ll show it but I’m not affiliated. Thanks 🙏
    Kinda confusing as they haven’t been released. 🧐

• Options
    edited July 9, 2023 12:40PM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    I just received an offer for a discount on a 2023 peace dollar in 70. I’ll show it but I’m not affiliated. Thanks 🙏
    Kinda confusing as they haven’t been released. 🧐

Yeah, it's a pre-sale. No reason to be confused. The fact that these are so widely available at this price is precisely why these are not going to be home runs for amateur flippers, even though they are destined to sell out.

Dealers have all they need, and they are readily available at a reasonable price. So there is not going to be a big secondary market to sell into late next week for amateurs buying multiples with the intent to mark them up without having them graded first.

The dealers want to move them now and lock in a profit, rather than risk getting stuck when the music inevitably stops, as it always does. The twist this time is that, with the long subscription window, the relatively large HHL, and the availability through the bulk purchase program, they all know there is not going to be a frenzy for them to obtain what they need at inflated prices on the secondary market.

That, plus their wide availability now at around $150, is going to keep a lid on graded prices. The market has been hot for a few weeks now for the graded 70s. It might hold up after release, but the odds are against it, and these guys are in business to make money and move on to the next big thing, not speculate.

• Options
    erperp Posts: 6

First time using Subscriptions for me and I was just checking my order from Oct for the proofs and reverse proof set.

First, I can't believe that clicking on the Active box disables the subscription without any popup or anything! I have never double-clicked so fast after accidentally clicking on the RP Active box. Luckily I seem to have kept my order for 1 set - got two back-to-back emails that I updated my order - but wouldn't you know it that I click on the only one that is out of stock?!

My other question is how do I see what CC it's going to charge? It just shows the visa exp date (which I don't even recognize). I might have used a visa GC number that I had at the time. Do those even work for the actual charge, since they have no billing addr or anything?

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erp said:
    First time using Subscriptions for me and I was just checking my order from Oct for the proofs and reverse proof set.

First, I can't believe that clicking on the Active box disables the subscription without any popup or anything! I have never double-clicked so fast after accidentally clicking on the RP Active box. Luckily I seem to have kept my order for 1 set - got two back-to-back emails that I updated my order - but wouldn't you know it that I click on the only one that is out of stock?!

My other question is how do I see what CC it's going to charge? It just shows the visa exp date (which I don't even recognize). I might have used a visa GC number that I had at the time. Do those even work for the actual charge, since they have no billing addr or anything?

When you see your list of subscriptions, click on the subscription title then you will see a billing tab.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erp said:
    [...]

Each subscription has its own saved payment method. To verify it:

1) Select the subscription of interest.

2) Select the "Billing & Delivery" tab.

3) Select the "Update Payment" button.

4) Review, and edited as needed.

• Options
    erperp Posts: 6

ok, thanks, yeah that tab shows the payment info as just my visa exp date but no last 4 digits, so I don't know which card it is. I just thought I was missing something.

The date is 2029 so I must have used some visa gc, since regular CC's don't even go out that far usually. I'll just update it to be sure. Thanks!

• Options

My head is spinning with all the pre sale options on the table!

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those interested the Reverse Proof subscription has been available for a few hours

• Options
    edited July 10, 2023 5:55AM

Knowing how I screw things up, I am not clicking on anything in my subscriptions. I won't even open the page to look at them. I checked it a little while ago, and I got the "check your address and CC information" e-mail from the Mint. So, I'm good. The last thing I want to do is click on anything on the subscription page! I might mistakenly cancel all my subscriptions and dump them unexpectedly in someone else's subscription list (and it's not Christmas yet!)..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file