Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold.....that is almost worth nothing

lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

So who else has some gold that is almost worth nothing?

Here is mine. Don't recall how I came to have it. Found in my old box of coin stuff. Don't know what to do with it and probably why it was buried in the box of stuff.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Comments

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few gold plated quarters that my sister gave me also a couple platinum plated small dollar coins.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    I have a few gold plated quarters that my sister gave me also a couple platinum plated small dollar coins.

I have 3 complete sets of gold plated quarters and I don't know how many platinum quarters and platinum dollars.

They don't seem to work with most coin stars so I'm sort of stuck with them at the moment.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have challenge coins that have gold plate, no actual coins. Though I do have gold coins. U.S. gold and a couple Mexican gold coins. Cheers, RickO

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@gumby1234 said:

I have 3 complete sets of gold plated quarters and I don't know how many platinum quarters and platinum dollars.

They don't seem to work with most coin stars so I'm sort of stuck with them at the moment.

You could just spend them at the grocery store.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2022 6:54AM

Egyptian Magic Coin - Gold plated
    Bronze, 32 mm, 8.64 gm

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@gumby1234 said:

You could just spend them at the grocery store.

I could... if I ever used cash.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some outfit that calls itself a “mint,” runs ads for a copy of the Gold Buffalo one ounce coin layered in gold. “The issue price was going to be $50, but now you can buy it for just $9.95. Only five per customer.”

The last part is good for consumers because then you can only cheat yourself five times.

In the words of “The Price is Right” TV game show, “This deal is worth nothing.” :s

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

Here is mine. Don't recall how I came to have it. Found in my old box of coin stuff. Don't know what to do with it and probably why it was buried in the box of stuff.

I'd keep that as is. Virtually all of the ones I see on ebay are loose and the sellers have no idea what they dates represent.

Not much value to the coin, but the packaging does add to it.

• WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few gold plated wheat cents and some rose gold plated buffalo nickels, not worth as much as I paid for them when I was young and innocent ;)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

I have one of these exact items, except mine is "double dated" 1960-1985 for the the 25th anniversary.

To get it, my grandma responded to an ad in the National Enquirer, then gave the coin to me.

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found literally dozens of these while searching bank boxes.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

Why did they use a 1983 half instead of a 1980? 😆

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

...only 25 Cents back in the day...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a gold wedding ring that was apparently worth so little, I lost it into the McKenzie river. :frowning:

That was over 20 years ago. My wife bought me a replacement ring.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friend's late father in law bought similar gold plated stuff from late night television ads a number of years ago. He asked me what it was worth. Though he is a friend, it was hard to be nice giving him the news.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file