Home U.S. Coin Forum

GTG -- 1872 1c: GRADE REVEALED

AvocetAvocet Posts: 241 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2022 2:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Another Guess-the-Grade. 1872 1c -- what do you think?!

Thanks for taking a look-- I will post the answer in 48 hours... :)

Comments

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF details cleaned would be my guess.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF details. Surfaces don't look original. Possibly lightly burnished.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks original to me, albeit with an overall weak strike.
    Also guessing this date gets a little leeway. I'm at VF35, but an XF40 grade wouldn't shock me.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2022 2:25PM

20 with a chance at details

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at VF30/35. I think it's weakly struck. This date is surprisingly difficult to find nice. I like it!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

20 -25, especially if I'm buying!

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's straight graded at VF30.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

35 typical weak strike

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF 35

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say 30-35.... Nice old IHC that has seen some commerce. Cheers, RickO

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Id be at 30 on this one

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks approximately VF30 to me and I don’t see any indication of cleaning/burnishing that a couple of people mentioned.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see this as a VF35 / XF40 easily. I have several in the same category . . . . . .

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought is VF25 maybe, with a slight concern for the corrosion at the first S in STATES

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • fathomfathom Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2022 12:22PM

Weakly struck VF-30. This date can come mushy, but more often on the reverse in the shield area.

I had a sharper one I bought as a “Fine” in the late 1960s. The shield area was weak, but the “LIBERTY” was sharp.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF 30. Nice look.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen the coin in person, so I won’t guess here. B)

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a series I know well enough, possibly xf.

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF-20 I just don' see it as having a higher grade.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom

• AvocetAvocet Posts: 241 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the PCGS grade:

I have had this coin for a long time and recently sent it to PCGS for grading. My submission was large, and this coin was the only one in the submission that caught me off guard. Part of the fun of this hobby for me is the process of grading and studying the features that reveal the coin’s history, such as cleaning. Perhaps the key for this coin is close inspection under good lighting and magnification. Some parallel lines in the fields on the reverse, for example, may be remnants of prior cleaning. I have liked this coin for a long time and am pleased to have it in my collection.

Thanks to everyone for taking a look! :)

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Avocet said:
    Here is the PCGS grade:

I have had this coin for a long time and recently sent it to PCGS for grading. My submission was large, and this coin was the only one in the submission that caught me off guard. Part of the fun of this hobby for me is the process of grading and studying the features that reveal the coin’s history, such as cleaning. Perhaps the key for this coin is close inspection under good lighting and magnification. Some parallel lines in the fields on the reverse, for example, may be remnants of prior cleaning. I have liked this coin for a long time and am pleased to have it in my collection.

It looks a lot different in this pic imho

@jclovescoins said:

@Avocet said:
    Here is the PCGS grade:

It looks a lot different in this pic imho

It does, but based on just the additional obverse image, I still can’t tell that the coin has been cleaned.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another reason to buy TPG coins.

In the holder pics explain a lot, the tv images make it look a lot better.

@logger7 said:

What do the holder pics explain to you? To me, the coin looks like a straight grade VF in both sets of images (though I didn’t see a slab-shot of the reverse).

• jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at 25 and I didnt think it was cleaned.Maybe the fields inside the wreath gave them concern? It looks like a nice vf to me !

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on what I can see and what other knowledgeable people are seeing, I’m guessing this is a coin that could straight grade if resubmitted some day.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

@MFeld said:

@logger7 said:

What do the holder pics explain to you? To me, the coin looks like a straight grade VF in both sets of images (though I didn’t see a slab-shot of the reverse).

TV images to me anyway look like the coin lost some of the original chiseled features through mistreatment. I'll defer of course to the experts who have seen far more of these than I have.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it might make XF, my first thoughts were this cent was cleaned.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didnt see anything from the images that would lead me to think the coin had been cleaned... but we don't have the coin "in hand" either. I wonder if this is one of those pieces that would ultimately straight grade if resubmitted...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

Looks like a TPG coin to me. The OP has liked it raw for longer than PCGS didn't like it.

HE>I

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@DisneyFan said:

Looks like a TPG coin to me. The OP has liked it raw for longer than PCGS didn't like it.

It's good that the OP still likes the coin after it was graded. It's a good date. I would be disappointed. Of course, if the original cost was nominal and the coin brings back happy memories, then no harm in having the coin determined to be "Cleaned - VF Details."

• AvocetAvocet Posts: 241 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for these comments.

The slab photo was made with my iPhone, and I think my image is suboptimal. I was impressed with the True View quality, and I do not believe I could do better. While I like this coin quite a bit, I admit I was sad to see the grade result. This result caught me by surprise; my gut feeling is that a re-submit might lead to different results someday. I enjoy the art of grading and the uncertainty that goes along with it— it's part of our hobby. I agree with the comments about in-hand inspections, and my friend @asheland has had a chance to do this— I have tagged him on this post to see if he can weigh in also.

@Avocet said:

I enjoy the art of grading and the uncertainty that goes along with it— it's part of our hobby.

Personally I think grading is very difficult. I've put together a group of coins in the MS64 to 66 range from a set and really find it difficult to say which grade each one should be on my own. Some do stand out; but, most do not. They are all nice coins. However, I think grading is easier in the lower grades.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having seen it in person, it looks straight grade to me. If truly cleaned, it’s very subtle.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file