Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1878 Proof Morgan Dollar Type Set- 2 Newps

FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 17, 2023 6:07AM in U.S. Coin Forum

1878 was the first year of the Morgan Dollar, and even as it went into production the design was still changing- the entire process basically played out in public as the evolving designs were issued into circulation until the permanent design was reached. The three lowest mintage proof issues were all struck in 1878- namely the First Reverse (8TF), Second Reverse (7TF Reverse of ‘78) and the Third Reverse (7TF Reverse of ‘79- very rare).

I have challenged myself to create a proof type set of the different 1878 designs and have come up with the following list:

J-1550a Pattern - in George T. Morgan’s own words “the first model” for the Morgan Dollar

1878 8TF (mintage 300-500?)

1878 7TF / Reverse of ‘78 (mintage 250?)

1878-S Branch Mint Specimen (mintage 5? surviving pop 1)
(Also 7TF / Reverse of ‘78, and VAM-58)

1878 7TF / Reverse of ‘79 (mintage 20? surviving pop 4-6?)

J-1550a Pattern PCGS PR65 Cameo CAC

This was the first design, verified by George Morgan in a conversation on June 6, 1913 with S.H. Chapman (related in the June 1913 sale of the Arthur Sargent Collection). Morgan said "'this die with the deep serratures inserted by hand and with the feathers of the eagle's wing continued on the under edge of the body was the first model, and that subsequently, in deference to the idea and wishes of the Committee on Coinage, changed the arrangement of the feathers so as to leave a gap in the under edge between the feathers and the body."

More to come- this may take a while- and feedback is welcome!

Comments

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! :o

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

REALLY NICE!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's drop dead gorgeous!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an ambitious project. It’ll be a killer when you get it done! Happy hunting!

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is something else… gorgeous!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2022 6:20AM

I wish you success toward your goal. The coin above is a beautiful example of the engraver's art. (maybe I should say sculptor's art, since the reducing lathe was in use by this time).

• Options
    silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

GOOD LUCK.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome !

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing and better than what the Mint produces 150 years later with all the technology.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible detail on that coin - and absolutely amazing preservation. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2022 9:44AM

FWIW, I’ve only seen one 1878 Rev 79 in the past 45 years and suspect that it is a pattern.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. ;)

Naahhh.... I know you've been around. With REALLY nice coins. :)

• Options

@boiler78 said:
    Very cool project ........ You should consider including the J-1550b copper die trial as well.

That’s a great idea! Thanks!

• Options

@MrEureka said:
    FWIW, I’ve only seen one 1878 Rev 79 in the past 45 years and suspect that it is a pattern.

That’s a tough one for sure!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just Wow!

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2022 12:31PM

Beautiful pattern. Thanks for posting and please keep us updated on your project.

• Options

@boiler78 said:
    Very cool project ........ You should consider including the J-1550b copper die trial as well.

Boiler knows I know nothing about patterns.
    Why a different die for the 1550 B vs A?

• Options
    edited May 29, 2022 12:37PM

@Nic said:

@boiler78 said:

Boiler knows I know nothing about patterns.
    Why a different die for the 1550 B vs A?

A was in silver which is why I included it, and I liked the fact that there is a direct quote from Morgan stating it was his first design that he only changed as a result of being told to do so by the bigwigs

B was in copper and if one becomes available during this project I may add it to my “type set.” I did not include this issue in my original set concept because it is in copper not silver, but it may be worthy of inclusion!

• Options

Your type set will be killer. Your 1878 proofs are already killer!

The 1550 A and B seem to be struck from different dies? Was this common for such low mintage patterns?

@boiler78 and @MrEureka

• Options

@Nic said:

The 1550 A and B seem to be struck from different dies? Was this common for such low mintage patterns?

@boiler78 and @MrEureka

It's the same die pair, different metals. The 1550a is silver, while the 1550b is copper.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2022 12:53PM

@Nic said:

@boiler78 and @MrEureka

Thank you so much! I love proof Morgans, and the idea for this short set came about just recently when I found the J-1550a in the Legend auction and realized how many different designs exist in proof format for the single year 1878. Once they nailed the 7TF / Reverse of ‘79 design they stuck with it through the rest of the series. 1878 was sort of a “work in progress” year for the Morgan Dollar.

• Options

@Floridafacelifter said:

@Nic said:
    Beautiful pattern. Thanks for posting and please keep us updated on your project.

One of the engraved 1st production 1878's might be an interesting addition?

One of those first ten hand struck VAM-60 1878-S Morgan Dollars struck on the afternoon of April 17,1878, such as the Eliasberg coin engraved “ONE OF THE FIRST TEN COINED APRIL 17TH FROM J. GUS. BURT,” would be a cool addition as well. I did not include this issue because although NGC has called a few of them specimens, I do not believe PCGS recognizes them as such.

Approximately ten coins were hand struck and presented to VIPs present, and then the press was cranked up to full speed. After nearly 1,000 coins were struck, one of the dies shattered, the press was stopped, and further coinage was suspended.

Just a thought despite what PCGS recognizes. You were already on it! Might take many years for any additions...

• Options
    edited May 29, 2022 1:10PM

@Nic said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

@Nic said:

Just a thought despite what PCGS recognizes. You were already on it! Might take many years for any additions...

Thank you- I’ve spent hours and hours researching the San Francisco Mint and dissecting the early strikings and VAM-58 and VAM-60 differences. It’s absolutely fascinating to me, and I am working on a very long post regarding that exact subject. And a big shout out to David McCarthy for his help- he is an amazing resource and just an all around great guy to have as a friend.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

@Nic said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

@Nic said:

Thank you- I’ve spent hours and hours researching the San Francisco Mint and dissecting the early strikings and VAM-58 and VAM-60 differences. It’s absolutely fascinating to me, and I am working on a very long post regarding that exact subject. And a big shout out to David McCarthy for his help- he is an amazing resource and just an all around great guy to have as a friend.

I was going to send you to David for information the J. Gus Burt VAM 60 pieces as well as the Linderman "Where are Mine?!" VAM 58 specimens. He went down that rabbit hole hard, so I don't have anything to add other than, "Good luck!"

While you're going for broke, I'd also consider J-1551, which has a slightly modified reverse design for the wing feathers, and is closer to the finished product.

• Options

@messydesk said:

I was going to send you to David for information the J. Gus Burt VAM 60 pieces as well as the Linderman "Where are Mine?!" VAM 58 specimens. He went down that rabbit hole hard, so I don't have anything to add other than, "Good luck!"

Haha I’ve been down that rabbit hole with David since we started discussing it at the January FUN show five months ago!

While you're going for broke, I'd also consider J-1551, which has a slightly modified reverse design for the wing feathers, and is closer to the finished product.

Good recommendation I’ll look into it- seems like he made the changes to the wings as requested by the coinage committee. I am only vaguely familiar with it but if it’s in silver then definitely it fits well, copper……maybe. Why does it make a difference to me- copper vs silver? Basically in my mind a proof Morgan Dollar is a silver coin. So when they’re lined up next to one another in design order they will look uniform and……silver.

• Options

@Floridafacelifter said:

@messydesk said:

Haha I’ve been down that rabbit hole with David since we started discussing it at the January FUN show five months ago!

Good recommendation I’ll look into it- seems like he made the changes to the wings as requested by the coinage committee. I am only vaguely familiar with it but if it’s in silver then definitely it fits well, copper……maybe. Why does it make a difference to me- copper vs silver? Basically in my mind a proof Morgan Dollar is a silver coin. So when they’re lined up next to one another in design order they will look uniform and……silver.

J-1550 is with the alteration (wings not flush to the body) in silver, 1551 is the same alteration in copper.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2022 1:55PM

@Floridafacelifter,

The just J-1550 neither a nor b variety is different from the other two, and it is the same as the copper one with the alteration but in silver. Here it is:

Link to CoinFacts:
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1878-1-j-1550/61910

Edit: I hope this is what you're looking for?

• Options
    edited May 29, 2022 1:58PM

@FlyingAl said:
    @Floridafacelifter,

Edit: I hope this is what you're looking for?

Great thank you! They should have named them J-1551a and J-1551b

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@Nic said:

@boiler78 and @MrEureka

It's the same die pair, different metals. The 1550a is silver, while the 1550b is copper.

If they are the same die pair, why is the point of the bust close to the adjacent star on the silver, though centered between the star and date on the copper?

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool undertaking Floridafacelifter! I remember seeing an 1878 Rev 79 proof Morgan in a large Capital holder that said "Finest Known" at a show at the Hilton in downtown Chicago maybe 30 yrs ago or so. The dealer at that table said it wasn't for sale IIRC.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter

This could be even a tougher task than it appears. I say this because looking through some auctions it appears many of the 1878 proofs are on the dark toning side and not so nice. Of course I could be putting my own personal view on this and not your view.

The 1878 8tf in proof no cam has a lot of darker toned. The cameo are better and this makes some sense since dark tone can hide and eliminate the cameo. But still some darker ones. The 7tf is no better and less of them. Again that is to me. I don't use the TV on these (toned proofs) as the TV is usually more colorful and lighter than normal in hand viewing. The auction photos in the slab are usually closer and what I am basing much of this on.
    The 1878 S - well that is interesting. Anyone who cares to read, here is a coin world article on it. Don't know if more has come around or not and the information on it. Then pcgs announcement.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/1878-s-morgan-dollar-may-be-presentation-piece.html

https://www.pcgs.com/news/first-known-1878s-specimen-morgan-dollar

Good luck.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

Thanks for all the comments- it’s fun to research the coins, and I am pretty picky when it comes to proof Morgans.

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Now that's what I call a real First Strike!

And that's what I call a spectacular, darkly toned coin.

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nic I never noticed before but definitely different dies......

• Options

That’s interesting thanks for pointing it out!

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Great coins and thank you. This post alone is worth the price of admission.

Tom

• Options

@TPRC said:
    Wow! Great coins and thank you. This post alone is worth the price of admission.

Thank you- I think 1878 is such an interesting time in the life of the Morgan Dollar- as I add to this type set my plan is to provide a write up for each coin, and the additional posts from other members who know WAY more than I do about patterns has been so educational for me! Thanks to all the contributors!

• Options

@Nic said:

@FlyingAl said:

@Nic said:

@boiler78 and @MrEureka

If they are the same die pair, why is the point of the bust close to the adjacent star on the silver, though centered between the star and date on the copper?

Correction, same reverse dies, slightly different obverse dies.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular!!!!!

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really a fun project to do Don. You are really combining numismatic knowledge, monetary history, esthetics, and the thrill of the hunt into one project!

• Options
    edited June 16, 2022 3:47PM

Thanks guys- fascinating stuff- how can anyone NOT collect coins haha?

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just super coins!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing 78 Rev of 79 proof, and undoubtedly the correct dies for the proof, as the lump on the D in DOLLAR shows plainly. These almost never show up for sale, and several years ago one in a rattler had to be pulled from auction because it was the wrong die pair. Wayne Miller writes about 4 specimens he had seen as of 1982 and 2 that he hadn't seen that were in known collections mentioned by Breen. So 6 known specimens as of 1982. If you can get the provenance of yours back to the 1970s, it could be matched with one of the specimens mentioned by Miller.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file