Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The top 5 coins from my old holder type set

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Inspired by @david3142, I figured I'd present my top 5 favorites from my work-in-progress old holder type set. My means are relatively limited, and this set has definitely tested those means. My ability to continue to add to this set will slow down in the very near future, so this top 5 may remain relatively static for the next 3-5 years. I figured this would be a good time to write this post up, given that circumstance.

Honorable mention goes out to my 1839 Drapery Dime in NGC 64 Gold CAC.

Counting down, from 5th to 1st...

1926 Indian Quarter Eagle, NGC MS63 CAC in a 2.1 Generation Fatty

While it's quite a tough decision here at #5, the overall rarity of the 2.1 holder pushes this above several other contenders for the fifth slot. I had been on the hunt for a 2.1 for quite some time when this coin came to my attention. It was priced at $1,000 on eBay as a BIN somewhere around 8 months ago, and that was good enough for me. It is not that easy to find Indian-Type gold in old holders in 63 and up, which is what sealed the deal. Given the recent run on 2.0's and 2.1's, I'm sure I could make a bucket on it, but how would I ever replace it?

Of note; The same seller had a $5 Liberty also in a 2.1 for $1,000 as well. I didn't see it or I would have bought that too. :(

1877-CC Seated Liberty Quarter, NGC MS65 CAC in a 3rd Generation Fatty

It took me quite a while to find a Seated Liberty Quarter for this set, but I finally relented and paid approximately a ~10% premium for one at the ANA WFOM last summer. I kid you not, 7 weeks later, this popped up on eBay and I purchased it shortly thereafter, giving me a duplicate type in the set, but a much cooler date/mint in cooler plastic to boot! I paid strong money for it at $2,800, but I feel it is a high end coin for a 65, and it CAC'ed, which made me feel a lot better about that premium I paid, especially seeing a PCGS 65 sold for $3,360 recently... And I think this one is nicer.

1837 No Stars Seated Liberty Dime, PCGS MS64 CAC in a 1.2 Rattler

I've long loved the no stars types due to the aesthetics of the large, open fields, and an uncirculated dime of the type has been a bucket list coin for me for quite some time. When I saw a picture of this coin pop up on Reddit along with a few other coins I really liked in old holders, I tried to buy them. The individual who owned them rebuffed my overtures and I kind of forgot about them, or at least shuffled them to the back of my mind.

Browsing eBay several months later, I saw them suddenly listed. Almost immediately I made offers on 3 of the coins I was interested in. After a touch of back and forth, the seller and I found common ground, and they were mine. This is the highlight of the group. I paid about $2,500.

1841 Seated Liberty Dollar, PCGS MS63 CAC in a 1.2 Rattler

Sitting in second place is the single most expensive coin I've ever purchased, by a long, long shot. A friend of mine originally spotted this coin listed on eBay as a buy-it-now for $6,800. He sent it to me, saying he wanted to buy it for a flip but didn't have the capital to do so. I bought it, sent him a message telling him it had sold. Waited about 30 seconds and followed that up with "Because I bought it, you owe me $3,400." We sent it to CAC, where it beaned and included a note from JA saying Wow, great coin!

To make a long story short, another good friend, @Senator32 convinced me to keep it, and I ended up buying my friend out of his interest in it at a tidy profit for him, and a net cost basis to me at about $9,000. I sold ~10 rolls of BU Morgans to pay for it with zero regrets. Objectively, this may be the single highest-value coin I'll ever own in my personal collection.

1879-S Morgan Dollar, NGC MS67PL CAC in a 4th Generation Fatty

This coin takes my top spot for several reasons. It was my first acquisition over $350, and marked the start of me buying more serious coins for my personal collection. It taught me to not be afraid to stretch my finances if I believe in the coin. It was my first Morgan graded 66 or higher, I went straight from 65 to 67PL. It was the first coin I bought and knew I'd never sell. It was the first coin I ever turned down a 4 figure profit on. It's the coin that started my fascination with old holders, as well. Just look at it!

This coin was purchased about 8 years ago, towards the end of my stay in my first apartment after moving out of my parents house. It was listed as a BIN on eBay for $960. At the time, that was about the going rate for an NGC 67PL. PCGS 67PL's were going for about $2k, and the old holder is how I justified the purchase. It easily eclipsed my 1883-CC in 63DMPL I purchased from Larry Shapiro a few months prior as the most expensive coin I'd ever bought. I show it around from time to time, and it's always the coin people stop and spend an extra 30 seconds looking at.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2022 2:25PM

What eye candy!!

Awesome coins housed in rare slabs!!

Magnifico!!

Edit to add: I enjoyed the write ups! Very interesting and fun reads.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likin that Seated Dollar!

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going through this I was thinking:

Very nice.
    Wow!
    Great color!
    I like it!
    HOLY CRAP!

I must say, that Morgan is one of the nicest for the series I’ve seen. It has a proofish look to it that’s not often found on PLs.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to have inspired such a great post. Thank you for sharing these excellent coins. I love that 79-S Morgan of yours. Even at 67 they don’t often look that clean and free of haze. It’s a great example.

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins. Thank you for sharing.

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins and holders, I especially like those last 2 dollars! Wow!

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb coins, and very informative commentary. The 1841 dollar is outstanding!

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this, @DelawareDoons. That was a very entertaining read with the acquisition history. I was thinking about doing something similar when my NGC 1.0 and PCGS 1.1 arrive but you have set a high bar with this thread..

Tim

• Options
    csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

This thread would have been cool with just the pictures. But the fact that you took the time and effort to document your own progression thru time and the story about each coin makes it much more meaningful and not just any old other thread on the forum.

And btw, this is a great teaser and appetizer to get everyone warmed up for when you are ready to post another thread with your —old holder box of 20 showcase. Happy hunting.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the seated dollar, definitely rare in a rattler holder.
    I’m not a Morgan dollar guy but with that coin I certainly can be.
    Sweet coins thanks for sharing
    My top two as well 👍🏻

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

The SLD would be my number 1…. But that Morgan sure is sweet!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet!
    I love threads like this.
    Thanks for sharing.

peacockcoins

• Options

Seated Dollar is stunning

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 79-S……👌

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful old coins and holders.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man those are nice

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons
    Nice. Also neat and somewhat unique on doing it with old holders.
    So one question - where do you draw that line on what is an old holder?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 79-S is a MOOSE - you should make that your icon coin.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins ... and great reads on each! Thank you for sharing!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2022 9:20PM

Thanks for the kind words, all. I really appreciate it.

@lilolme said:
    @DelawareDoons
    Nice. Also neat and somewhat unique on doing it with old holders.
    So one question - where do you draw that line on what is an old holder?

For this particular set, I'm just focusing on PCGS Rattlers and NGC Fatty's through Gen 4. So barcode fattys are out being Gen 5. Ideally I want the whole set in Fatty's but... Yeah thats going to take forever so I am including rattlers for fun, and will kick them out as I find Fatty's I like. Won't sell the rattlers though, I'll just run another set on the side. :smiley:

That's not to say I don't have any PCGS OGH, I do have a few (Gold CAC 3CN, GORGEOUS Proof Barber Dime, like 10 toned Morgans I can remember off the top of my head) but I'm trying to focus on tougher to find stuff for this set rather than a set you can go out and build with a fat wallet. I like the challenge and requirement of patience. A lot of types are straight-up rare in Fatty's and Rattlers but only uncommon in OGH since the lifespan of OGH (1989-1998) was a lot longer than the NGC 1.0-4.0 era (1987-1992) and Rattler era (1986-1989).

@pointfivezero said:
    Thanks for posting this, @DelawareDoons. That was a very entertaining read with the acquisition history. I was thinking about doing something similar when my NGC 1.0 and PCGS 1.1 arrive but you have set a high bar with this thread..

Tim

Do it! I'd LOVE to see what you've been up to.

@Connecticoin said:
    That 79-S is a MOOSE - you should make that your icon coin.

Not a bad idea... I'll sleep on it.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning! The 1837 Dime in particular!

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

That Morgan has an amazing eye appeal. Looks like a cameo proof in appearance

• Options
    BigtreeBigtree Posts: 208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love this! Threads like this and the one from @david3142 are the highlights of this forum for me, and wonderful inspiration for me to level up my collecting goals!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons.... Excellent write ups and beautiful coins... That 1879S Morgan just captivated me.... WOW!! Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just piling on - everything I could have said has been said above me! Fantastic pieces!

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coins! That dmpl is a stunner! Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have done remarkably well. I really like the No Stars Dime and the Seated Dollar.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Splendid coins and holders, I love that Morgan!

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

you have a great eye for quality coins

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coins especially that 79S Morgan.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

You win!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file