Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:
    They definitely missed Smart but Ime should have had anyone other than Tatum as the ballhandler. That one stretch where Tatum gave it away 3-4 times in a row should have been a sign to let someone else bring it up. Between the TO's and getting double teamed right away our offense never really got going in the second half. I thought Brown played alright outside of the missed FT's. Even being down two starters I still thought that was a winnable game had they just played an average 3rd quarter. Also GWill & White need to do better than 10pts combined in the starting lineup. Hopefully we get Smart & Horford
    back soon.

I don't think Brown had a good game. The missed free throws hurt, but he wasn't shooting well and lacked aggression, imo. It was a VERY winnable game. We needed to extend our first half lead. Everyone knew Miami would make a run. The run they made was not expected, but we should have been up more going into the 3rd.

Not to make excuses for Brown but you can tell by watching him play that he's still dealing with bit of a hamstring issue but he's been grinding it out. The whole team needs to really step it up and at the very least they should be matching Miami's intensity especially on the defensive end.

This could be really bad news if it starts to spread past Horford.
    https://www.celticsblog.com/2022/5/18/23124090/report-multiple-backroom-staff-have-tested-positive-for-covid-boston-celtics-al-horford-jayson-tatum

Brown is a grinder, we just needed a bit more from him. But he is certainly not the reason we lost at all. I saw Miami play with what looked like more intensity and urgency. Especially defensively.

Brown finished with 24pts/10reb/3ast + 4-8 from three which are all but the assists up from his playoff averages. I think the whole team looked & played like they were mentally/physically drained from having to win games 6 & 7 in the last round. Finding out right before game time that both Horford & Smart were out probably didn't help much either. The one plus in their favor though is that they really haven't put up back to back stinkers during this current playoff run so they should be ready for tomorrow night.
    If they're gonna have any chance of winning then their offense can't afford another 11-34 game from three again and Grant Williams has to do better than 7pts on just 5 shots especially with multiple starters out. He & Pritchard need to let them fly,imo, while White drives to try to get the line more often. They can't let Miami's defense dictate how they're gonna play on offense.

I haven't gone back and looked at the numbers, but I think that Brown did a lot of that in the 4th.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:
    They definitely missed Smart but Ime should have had anyone other than Tatum as the ballhandler. That one stretch where Tatum gave it away 3-4 times in a row should have been a sign to let someone else bring it up. Between the TO's and getting double teamed right away our offense never really got going in the second half. I thought Brown played alright outside of the missed FT's. Even being down two starters I still thought that was a winnable game had they just played an average 3rd quarter. Also GWill & White need to do better than 10pts combined in the starting lineup. Hopefully we get Smart & Horford
    back soon.

I don't think Brown had a good game. The missed free throws hurt, but he wasn't shooting well and lacked aggression, imo. It was a VERY winnable game. We needed to extend our first half lead. Everyone knew Miami would make a run. The run they made was not expected, but we should have been up more going into the 3rd.

Not to make excuses for Brown but you can tell by watching him play that he's still dealing with bit of a hamstring issue but he's been grinding it out. The whole team needs to really step it up and at the very least they should be matching Miami's intensity especially on the defensive end.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2022/5/18/23124090/report-multiple-backroom-staff-have-tested-positive-for-covid-boston-celtics-al-horford-jayson-tatum

Brown is a grinder, we just needed a bit more from him. But he is certainly not the reason we lost at all. I saw Miami play with what looked like more intensity and urgency. Especially defensively.

Brown finished with 24pts/10reb/3ast + 4-8 from three which are all but the assists up from his playoff averages. I think the whole team looked & played like they were mentally/physically drained from having to win games 6 & 7 in the last round. Finding out right before game time that both Horford & Smart were out probably didn't help much either. The one plus in their favor though is that they really haven't put up back to back stinkers during this current playoff run so they should be ready for tomorrow night.
    If they're gonna have any chance of winning then their offense can't afford another 11-34 game from three again and Grant Williams has to do better than 7pts on just 5 shots especially with multiple starters out. He & Pritchard need to let them fly,imo, while White drives to try to get the line more often. They can't let Miami's defense dictate how they're gonna play on offense.

I haven't gone back and looked at the numbers, but I think that Brown did a lot of that in the 4th.

Looking at the individual numbers by quarter shows Brown was phenomenal in the 4th with 15pts/5reb. He might have been the sole reason that we didn't lose by 25-30pts.

If we're gonna nitpick any player's performance it should definitely be Tatum's.
    His second half:
    missed every FG attempt he made
    made 5 free throws
    had 5 turnovers
    was blocked twice
    to his credit he did have 4rebs,2 steals and 1 assist.

Everyone needs to step up in game 2 if they want to head home tied.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:
    back soon.

Looking at the individual numbers by quarter shows Brown was phenomenal in the 4th with 15pts/5reb. He might have been the sole reason that we didn't lose by 25-30pts.

If we're gonna nitpick any player's performance it should definitely be Tatum's.
    His second half:
    made 5 free throws
    had 5 turnovers
    was blocked twice

Don't get me wrong. 🤷 I'm not nitpicking him.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2022 4:46PM

Go Celtics!!!

Edited to add ☘️

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:
    back soon.

His second half:
    made 5 free throws
    had 5 turnovers
    was blocked twice

I'm nitpicking Tatum lol. You want to be the superstar MVP candidate then you better do better than an 0-fer 2nd half with a ton of TO's.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:
    back soon.

His second half:
    made 5 free throws
    had 5 turnovers
    was blocked twice

I'm nitpicking Tatum lol. You want to be the superstar MVP candidate then you better do better than an 0-fer 2nd half with a ton of TO's.

I agree on Tatum. What I see is that sometimes he is completely shut out of the game sometimes. For a quarter. For a half. Etc. And then after the loss, what I saw from him post game interview wise was very negative.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeez... covid for a highly fit athlete is like a runny nose - But anyhow: WOW! Did the Mavs get spanked tonight. I still don't know how the Mavs knocked the Suns out.......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Jeez... covid for a highly fit athlete is like a runny nose - But anyhow: WOW! Did the Mavs get spanked tonight. I still don't know how the Mavs knocked the Suns out.......

The Mavs are a better team than people think, while simultaneously making lemonade out of lemons. I expect them to make adjustments and win game 2 or at least make it very competitive.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Mavs have squeezed as much out of this roster as they possibly could, and that's not a knock. dispatching of the Jazz and Suns were great accomplishments, especially when you peruse a box score and cover up the name Doncic. the fact that they are still playing this deep into the playoffs with that supporting cast is something to be very proud of. but it's not sustainable. they have now slammed into a much more talented and much deeper team (7 Warriors in double figs tonight), hence this is where the road will end for Dallas.

absolute best-case scenario, the Mavericks find a way to extend the series to 6, but it won't go beyond that

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2022 9:20AM

Golden State played very well in all phases of the game tonight except turnovers and three point shooting. Its defense against Dallas was superb.

Dallas was unable to find any offensive rhythm tonight and could not defend well against the high speed constant motion offense of Golden State.

I think game 2 will be a nail biter.

• Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Dubs win the series in 5

A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options

IF, and that's a big IF, GS and Dallas goes to seven games, I feel as though Dallas can win.

• Options

Derrick White out of game 2 for personal reasons. Its not confirmed but rumor is his wife is expecting a baby.

• Options

That was a great bounceback performance from the entire team. If they're able to play their top 6 players then they are very hard to beat. Let's keep it going on Saturday night!

• Options

I have a cousin in Massachusetts that I talk a lot of sports with. Before the game yesterday, we were texting back and forth. He thought that whoever won last night would win the series. I said that last night's winner would only affect the length of the series. If the Celtics went down 0-2, they'd win in 7. If they left Miami even, they would win in 6. I'm sticking with that. Celtics in 6.

• Options

NBA All-Defensive Team voting results just got released w/Smart on First team and Timelord on Second team. Also worth noting that Tatum,Brown,Horford and White all received some votes as well.

• Options

My dream of a Boston vs Dallas finals is now off the table. They need a better starting center (and Hardaway Jr,)......at a minimum.

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

thisistheshow wrote: "My dream of a Boston vs Dallas finals is now off the table." What?! Don't you think that Golden State is a better team than Dallas? Don't you want Boston to tangle with the mighty Warriors in the finals? To me, the Warriors are fun to watch!

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    thisistheshow wrote: "My dream of a Boston vs Dallas finals is now off the table." What?! Don't you think that Golden State is a better team than Dallas? Don't you want Boston to tangle with the mighty Warriors in the finals? To me, the Warriors are fun to watch!

I'm a Boston sports team fan , in terms of rooting interest. But I live near Dallas now, so they are my Western conference team that I follow closely. And I really want the Celtics to win it all, and feel that they could beat the Mavs easier. Yes, the Warriors are better.

• Options

Tomorrow's Game 3 in Dallas should be very interesting. Will Dallas hold home court, or will GS win Game 3 and take a commanding lead?

Dallas played much better yesterday and dominated the first half, at one point leading by 19 points. GS played much better in the second half in all phases of the game and was able to win by nine.

Today some talk show pundits pointed out that the GS roster is deeper than the Dallas roster; and that in the 7 2021-2022 season playoff games in which Luka has scored 40 or more points Dallas has won 2 of those games and has lost 5 of them (including last night's game). If Dallas has to rely on Luka to carry the team, it will have a hard time winning the series (how many teams in the playoffs that are down 2-0 have come back to win the series, especially those teams that do not have home court advantage?).

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:

(how many teams in the playoffs that are down 2-0 have come back to win the series, especially those teams that do not have home court advantage?).

idk how many, but what I do know is that it just happened in the previous round :D

• Options

galaxy27

You are correct sir. Will lightening strike twice?

• Options

Watched most of the Miami at Boston game. What is it with the Boston players who act like they're severely injured and then return to the game? Have they been doing that ever since Paul Pierce made it "fashionable"? [I don't watch many NBA games.]

• Options
    edited May 22, 2022 12:45AM

@charliej2356 said:
    Watched most of the Miami at Boston game. What is it with the Boston players who act like they're severely injured and then return to the game? Have they been doing that ever since Paul Pierce made it "fashionable"? [I don't watch many NBA games.]

They been watching LeBron for too long.............. :D

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@charliej2356 said:

They been watching LeBron for too long.............. :D

Larry wasn't the only one, or the first, to play the game the right way and with complete disregard for his own health. But he did. Didn't have to fake anything. Most know that post 86 his back issues we're debilitating and they cut his production and career short.

Yes, players are fakers. And yes, there is a history of Boston players. Because they all want to be this guy and they can't. 1991 Came back, against doctors orders, broken cheekbone, final game of the series, back when first round was best of five, game 5
    https://youtu.be/KUd4PG8EyQ8

• Options

I don't think Smart was faking anything, you can clearly see his ankle roll sideways and anyone that has had that injury knows its painful right after it happens. I'm honestly surprised Smart is still going at this point in the playoffs with all of the punishment he puts his body thru on a nightly basis.
    Tatum,on the other hand, clearly looked like he was hamming it up a bit imo. I think the horrible shooting night/PJ Tucker's very physical defense on him started getting to him and he might have been playing it up for the refs. He needs to take it to another level and find ways to get his points with Tucker guarding him.

Injuries aside,someone needs to pull Brown & Tatum aside and tell them that after they've turned it over 4-5 times in a 2-3 minute stretch then its probably time to let someone else handle the ball and create easier shots for you. Brown with Oladipo guarding him and Tatum with Butler on him during that G1 3rd quarter just wasted possession after possession. Force the Heat into switching on defense and find another matchup to exploit like Brown eventually did with Hero. They ended up making him such a hole on defense that Miami's coach sat him in crunch time even though they could have used his offense late in the game.

• Options

Are the Warriors fun to watch or what?! Wow, they look like the class of the NBA -- great team!

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 450 ✭✭✭

Go Warriors!!

• Options

GS continues to outplay Dallas. A 4-0 sweep is possible on Tuesday.

• Options

As of about an hour before tip off do we know? I am seeing Smart questionable and Williams game time.

Without Smart we have too many possessions with the wrong guy advancing the ball.

• Options

And Tatum is probable? I think. But will be playing. I guess he had to be listed that way with the fake injury. Lol

• Options

Smart definitely out,Williams likely playing.

• Options

Great - game on ABC tonight so I can watch it. Believe it or not I'm one of the few that refuse to pay high price of cable and run an antenna on my TV. :D GO BOSTON!!!!!!!!

• Options

So far So Good! Unless Boston has another collapse this should tie the series!!!!!

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    So far So Good! Unless Boston has another collapse this should tie the series!!!!!

• Options

This ECF's have been such a rollercoaster of emotions following this Celtics team. They need to come out with the same focus in game 5 right from the start regardless of who is/isn't playing for them that night. Good win,now we need to more.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    This ECF's have been such a rollercoaster of emotions following this Celtics team. They need to come out with the same focus in game 5 right from the start regardless of who is/isn't playing for them that night. Good win,now we need to more.

Based on how things usually go, I'm a little concerned about Miami starting game 5 absolutely on fire. Miami completely quit in this game. If this had been the fifth game of the series, and we went up 3-2, I'd see Miami quitting as working in our favor for the next game. But in this case, I strongly expect Miami to play with a lot of emotion right out of the gate.

• Options
    omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Sorry to say but I don't see either the celtics or heat beating the warriors in the finals, assuming Mavs don't somehow defy all odds. These playoffs have been such garbage the only good series in my opinion was warriors and grizzlies. But just depends on your perspective I suppose, some people like blowouts and teams shooting in the 30% range. And don't let my Raiders love fool you not a big warriors fan, grew up in the Jordan era so Bulls will always have my heart unfortunately. Which is also why, sorry to you Celtics fans, I would love to see Heat win so Butler has at least a shot at his ring.

• Options

Well, Butler has had a shot at a ring already and lost to the Lakers. That Warriors -Grizzlies series was nothing special when Ja Morant missed half and Memphis 2nd best player Desmond Bane had back issues hurting his play. When you look at who GS has played to this point they should be looking like a well oiled machine. the Nuggets were Jokic and a bunch of JAGs. The Grizzlies best players were hurt and that team is too young to be taken serious yet in the playoffs and we’re seeing what a Mavs team led by Luka and not much else get taken down real quick.
    Compare that to the Celtics having the toughest road thru the playoffs by far and they’re still standing.Boston’s play looks sporadic now but that’s mainly due to starting irregular lineups every game after their players went thru the ringer while taking out the defending champs in 7 games.

I’d love to see a Boston-GS Finals and sure the Dubs shooters would be a problem but so would Boston’s size on defense. I could go deeper into how they’d match up against each other but really GS is irrelevant to me right now with Miami still on the table.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Based on how things usually go, I'm a little concerned about Miami starting game 5 absolutely on fire. Miami completely quit in this game. If this had been the fifth game of the series, and we went up 3-2, I'd see Miami quitting as working in our favor for the next game. But in this case, I strongly expect Miami to play with a lot of emotion right out of the gate.

We’ll see, it really depends on who we have out there starting in that game. Rob & Al’s length causes real problems for that Heat offense but when it’s just one of them out there they don’t have the same affect. Unfortunately as long as we’re going to continue playing in these playoffs we’re going to be waiting until minutes before tipoff to know who will be out there for the C’s that night. Just a hunch but game 5 will likely be Smart in,Rob out if I had to guess now. If we make into the Finals we’d at least have the luxury of two days off between games instead of the one now.

• Options

I've been following this thread for the last couple weeks. You Boston fans just crack me up!! [BTW, I've lived my entire life on the east coast.]

• Options

The Warriors have had an easier road compared to the Celtics thus far. This has pros and cons for both teams.

The Warriors are starting to gel with their three stars finally playing together. This is huge for them.

I still predict that the Celtics will win it all. Roster fluctuation has hurt. Injuries would potentially go a long way towards mitigating the Celtics ability to beat the Warriors. Celtics vs Heat is still a series with tough games ahead. Hope everyone comes out healthy.

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    I've been following this thread for the last couple weeks. You Boston fans just crack me up!! [BTW, I've lived my entire life on the east coast.]

• Options

thisistheshow wrote: "The Warriors are starting to gel with their three stars finally playing together. This is huge for them."

Out of curiosity, who do you consider to be "their three stars"?

• Options
    edited May 24, 2022 6:09AM

@charliej2356 said:
    thisistheshow wrote: "The Warriors are starting to gel with their three stars finally playing together. This is huge for them."

Out of curiosity, who do you consider to be "their three stars"?

I was referring to Curry, Thompson, and Green.

Edited to add: maybe my semantics were off.

• Options

"I was referring to Curry, Thompson, and Green."

Interesting.

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    "I was referring to Curry, Thompson, and Green."

Interesting.

I was under the impression that finally having this extended time together was a positive for the Warriors. Are you questioning who I call a "star"?

• Options

@charliej2356 I thought we hashed out our West coast/East coast differences in this thread lol

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1074741/even-though-im-not-a-fan-of-teams-from-boston#latest