Home U.S. Coin Forum

How is this grading possible?

Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2022 9:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I don’t understand this. Both coins graded MS65+ and with CAC stickers. How can the coin with all that right field chatter earn a MS65 + and a CAC to boot. Am I missing something? Difference seems huge between the two coins.
Any opinions? Could it be the Dl Hansen label?

Comments

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, an MS66 with a teeny bit of a luster break (that looks worse in the photo than in-hand) might end up in a 5+ holder. If you grade down from 70 instead of up from 60 it might make more sense.

Just a guess.

• Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Well, an MS66 with a teeny bit of a luster break (that looks worse in the photo than in-hand) might end up in a 5+ holder. If you grade down from 70 instead of up from 60 it might make more sense.

Just a guess.

Sure does not look tiny to me. If that’s 65+ than the other coin is a sure undergraded 66.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey29 said:

@BryceM said:

Just a guess.

Sure does not look tiny to me. If that’s 65+ than the other coin is a sure undergraded 66.

Based on the IMAGES from the Obverse only (as that's all you provided), I would agree with you ... the 39-S is a premium example to the 39-D in terms of grade ...

HOWEVER, both of those images are over exposed just enough to make a real determination from images difficult, and the reverse could (and should) play a factor.

Since I haven't seen either in hand, I would trust PCGS and JA to have confirmed those are (or are extremely close to) the right market grade

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:

@Joey29 said:

@BryceM said:

Just a guess.

Based on the IMAGES from the Obverse only (as that's all you provided), I would agree with you ... the 39-S is a premium example to the 39-D in terms of grade ...

HOWEVER, both of those images are over exposed just enough to make a real determination from images difficult, and the reverse could (and should) play a factor.

Since I haven't seen either in hand, I would trust PCGS and JA to have confirmed those are (or are extremely close to) the right market grade

It still is possible they were off on this one, perhaps a rare error.
    I can post the reverse but it rarely comes into play except for possibly lowering the obverse grade. It really never lifts the grade

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would trust the in hand evaluation of the the two services in this case. Rarely are images the equivalent of in hand evaluation. Yet, we do it all the time on the forum. @airplanenut and @MFeld have both expressed good input above. Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't it also that these 2 coins were not graded in comparison to each other. A Friday and a Monday coin, so to speak. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better strike on the one with the chatter

Frank

BHNC #203

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

IDK... can't really say much about images when two independent staffs of graders have seen both coins up close and personal...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    It sounds as if you’re placing too much emphasis on overexposed images of coins, rather than how they probably look in hand.

I agree. These photos are too bright. I've learned from experience that over exposed photos can "burn out" marks so that you can't see them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is possible that what you see on the field of the 39-D is more of a water mark/stain vs a heavy hit. As a few others have said these photos are not adequate enough to make any solid determination.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 39 is a 64 which I thought was held back from a 65 by some minor markings in the right field.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I can say is
    Buy the coin Not the holder!

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    All I can say is
    Buy the coin Not the holder!

But if you aren't an expert, buy the coin and the holder...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • JohnFJohnF Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

They both look beautiful to me. If one is technically better than the other, it will likely be in a 66 holder soon.

John Feigenbaum
    Whitman Brands: President/CEO (www.greysheet.com; www.whitman.com)
    PNG: Executive Director (www.pngdealers.org)
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

With that quality of strike and luster you’d be looking at 68 without the chatter. It’s not that hard to imagine just how good they look in hand.
    Plus the shadows would not be that visible when overexposed unless the luster is screaming which it is.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    My 39 is a 64 which I thought was held back from a 65 by some minor markings in the right field.
    Jim

don't you feel the reverse with the weak strike and lack of detail on the leg had something to do with it?

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Graders weigh all factors; some coins like the 41-s Walker rarely have good strikes and get graded on a curve. Luster forgives a lot of problems.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen don't you feel the reverse with the weak strike and lack of detail on the leg had something to do with it?

As so many well struck coins were made, you would think so, but the coin is so lustrous inhand that I had hoped for a 65. My bad evidently.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file