Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2022…First the Negro Leagues Fizzle and Now the Purple Heart Coins Underperform…

RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2022 11:32AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Did the Mint’s new security screens/presale policies reveal that flippers have been artificially levitating Mint sales for the past several years???

Or conversely…is the Mint simply putting out more mediocrity than the market can absorb?

I just find it interesting that these series have now both received a relatively cold shoulder.

Comments

• Options

The apparently lukewarm reception for the PH coins actually did surprise me, largely due to the obvious military/veteran connections…so now I’m thinking there’s a bigger trend at work re new Mint issues…and possibly not only commens.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calculate what it costs to purchase one of each US Mint item for a recent year and you will see why sales are down. They have priced themselves out of the market. As sales and interest in new issues drop their "flipability" drops as well.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2022 1:42PM

None of these had low enough mintages to be flippable.

Most Mint commems were not flippable.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

And even the scarcer ones - well, there are now lots of scarcer ones thereby possibly making scarce not so in at least some aspects....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    The apparently lukewarm reception for the PH coins actually did surprise me, largely due to the obvious military/veteran connections…so now I’m thinking there’s a bigger trend at work re new Mint issues…and possibly not only commens.

There have been too many of them. Thumb through your Red Book and see how many there are. When I first saw the "Purple Heart" title, my old brain thought, "Haven't they done that before?" And then I remembered, There was a Medal of Honor set. Add to that Five Star Generals, the three piece dollar set from years ago, the Korean War 38th anniversary and World War II. After a while it gets to be enough.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lately it seems like the most commemoratives have either been about sports or military. I’m still collecting the silver dollars and clad 50cs so I will buy whatever the mint churns out but it seems like there’s fewer and fewer of us. Sure, modern commemoratives have lower mintages set an a lot of classic commems but that’s not exactly a glowing endorsement given the performance of the classic series in the past 10 years.

The series is too rich for my blood but I do think some of the five dollar gold coins could prove to be a good value. I’ve heard from several sources a lot of these are getting melted down post-market due to lack of demand

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Overpriced commemeratives. I wanted the silver PH but felt the reverse design was lacking or flat out wrong. The poor sales for the Negro Leagues commem's is partially a result of a country being smoothered by all things African American. Using Rube Foster? vs a known like Satchel Page was also a mistake. And a bus? Not much imaginaton to these offerings.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Skipping Satchel Paige was a terrible idea. Even the most casual baseball fan knows his name.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think in addition to high pricing equal to $2,700 gold for example, a lot has to do with the presale concept. I refuse to buy from the mint so far this year because they do not have the coins available to actually sell.

When I make a purchase, I actually like to get something sent to me within a few days, not an order number and a promise to send me something in 3 months.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made myself a promise that I hope to keep.
    I will not buy any coins directly from the mint.
    I will only buy 3rd party TPG coins.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    None of these had low enough mintages to be flippable.

Most Mint commems were not flippable.

Most Mint commems are "floppable"?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2022 6:29PM

@kiyote said:
    Skipping Satchel Paige was a terrible idea. Even the most casual baseball fan knows his name.

Rube Foster was a brilliant baseball executive, but nobody knows who he was unless you are a baseball history nerd. The mint should have found a place for Satchel Paige.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

The baseball commem was the last I bought from the mint.
    A few silver and clad of both the half and dollar.
    It was such a fiasco and was over 4 months before the final coins reached my po box.
    Never again.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2022 8:14PM

Yawn and another big Yawn.
    The designs are entirely uninspiring….I gotta be inspired to spend that much over spot.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    When I make a purchase, I actually like to get something sent to me within a few days, not an order number and a promise to send me something in 3 months.

Could be worse. When I first ordered from the mint, it was a promise to send something in 6-8 months, maybe. And there was no order number.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was all very predictable. Not surprised.

Too many issues, too expensive, too many gimmicks.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@Goldminers said:

Could be worse. When I first ordered from the mint, it was a promise to send something in 6-8 months, maybe. And there was no order number.

Those were the days. :p

The order forms were computer cards where you filled in the squares, ordered months in advance, with two issues per year - proof sets and mint sets.

You took what you got, very rarely heard of anyone returning for replacement. No TPGs so no chasing 70s.

• Options

@JBK said:

@MasonG said:

@Goldminers said:

The order forms were computer cards where you filled in the squares, ordered months in advance, with two issues per year - proof sets and mint sets.

You took what you got, very rarely heard of anyone returning for replacement. No TPGs so no chasing 70s.

But...but.. things were always better in "the good old days"... when proofs were rarely cameo.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

@MasonG said:

@Goldminers said:

But...but.. things were always better in "the good old days"... when proofs were rarely cameo.

My good old days are not quite that old. All of my proofs were nicely frosted. :D

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    Will there ever be another one like this??

I so wanted to order that at the time but the luster just didn’t work for me. I really, really wanted a frosty look. That’s something the mint just won’t do anymore.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s a combination of price, design and quantity.
    The prices are too high for what you’re getting, the designs are so boring and unappealing overall and there are too many offerings from the mint.
    Seems like they’re starting a new “series” every other month and churning out commemoratives just to sell something.

Maybe the mint should only issue a commemorative coin when there’s actually something worth commemorating.
    Imagine if there were 5-10 years between each commemorative coin release.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not purchase coins to flip. If I do order a mint coin, it is because I like it, or it represents something special to me. Either way, it takes a place in my collection and will remain there. Yes, their offerings are expensive. The way for the public to combat that issue, is not to buy them. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I so wanted to order that at the time but the luster just didn’t work for me. I really, really wanted a frosty look. That’s something the mint just won’t do anymore.

A lot of collectors don't like "frosty." They want "brilliant." Even the grading services often give a boost for bright luster. A coin that might grade MS-64, given the number marks it has, gets an MS-65 because it's bright.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it is just too much. I don't buy to flip but to keep and would try to get at least one of each issue excluding the gold issues. I especially enjoyed the Silver Eagle series but then started getting shut out of every single special edition that was produced because I was at work when they went on sale. That soured me on the ASE's a bit and now it is hard to keep up with the products due to the quantity. That combined with the fact I can often find them shortly after issue in the secondary market at a lower price than issue, well not much ordered from the Mint these days!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should have opened with the proof Morgan / Peace dollars or a new ASE - that would have linked the momentum from last season to this season ...

They need a better marketing team ...

• Options

@BillJones said:

A lot of collectors don't like "frosty." They want "brilliant." Even the grading services often give a boost for bright luster. A coin that might grade MS-64, given the number marks it has, gets an MS-65 because it's bright.

Which just seems odd to me. Frosty just looks better to me. Brilliant looks like it's chromed or something.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe get rid of the ugliness and get with some beautiful designs on the coins the mint makes. All coins are lacking art is my opinion why the sales are down.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@TurtleCat said:

@BillJones said:

Which just seems odd to me. Frosty just looks better to me. Brilliant looks like it's chromed or something.

Are you guys talking about frosty fields, as in satin?

Or frosty devices, as in frosted?

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

No value for me on several levels.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    Will there ever be another one like this??

OMG...I love these! I realize we are getting kind of sideways in this thread, but when these came out I purchased one the first day and then immediately sold it to someone else who "needed" it for a large profit, which was simply the going rate at the time. Later, I purchased two more for myself and then I sat there on December 31 looking at the US Mint website and the coins were going off-sale at 5:00 PM and at around 4:45 PM my wife finally said to me "buy more!" so I picked up another half-dozen at 4:59 with mere seconds to go before they went dark on the US Mint page. I may have bought the last half-dozen sold!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited February 27, 2022 12:02PM

@TomB said:
    ...at around 4:45 PM my wife finally said to me "buy more!" so I picked up another half-dozen at 4:59 with mere seconds to go before they went dark on the US Mint page.

I need a wife like that! :p

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's apparent that the Mint eliminated the "market makers" (speculators) with their current policy of ordering & presale options. As much as most of us disliked those rascals, they did determine the initial inflated values. Current prices will be determined what the collecting communities is willing to pay and what the potential profit could be. ( I see no profit potential in most of the US Mints recent offerings, unless PM's increase by at least 50%+, and I don't see that in the picture)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@JBK said:

@TurtleCat said:

@BillJones said:

Are you guys talking about frosty fields, as in satin?

Or frosty devices, as in frosted?

I’m referring to the classic look of production Morgan Dollars and St. Gaudens. That frosty production look.

This is one example I have handy:

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s interesting, I wouldn’t describe the typical look of a Morgan as frosty. I think they tend to be brilliant (the opposite of modern commems, which seem frosty in a negative, ie dull, sense.)

Higashiyama
  • Options

@Higashiyama said:
    That’s interesting, I wouldn’t describe the typical look of a Morgan as frosty. I think they tend to be brilliant (the opposite of modern commems, which seem frosty in a negative, ie dull, sense.)

I guess it depends on the terms one got familiar with at one time. I don’t own any Morgan dollars or I’d show an example or what I mean. I do understand what you’re saying, though. There are many Morgans like that.

In any case if the look of the 2009 (or other modern gold commems) had this look I’d be more interested in them:

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2022 3:47PM

@TurtleCat: yes, that one dollar gold is a wonderful coin. I might describe it as a "lustrous frosty" as opposed to the distressingly "flat frosty" that seems to be the norm for modern unc. commems (both gold and silver)

Higashiyama
  • Options

Oh yeah love me some frost

• Options

Twin sister:

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mlittlemlittle Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

I've already got a purple heart so what do I need a purple heart coin for?

• Options

@OPA said:
    It's apparent that the Mint eliminated the "market makers" (speculators) with their current policy of ordering & presale options. As much as most of us disliked those rascals, they did determine the initial inflated values. Current prices will be determined what the collecting communities is willing to pay and what the potential profit could be. ( I see no profit potential in most of the US Mints recent offerings, unless PM's increase by at least 50%+, and I don't see that in the picture)

You're conflating commems with other Mint products. Very few commemoratives are ever flippable. Even things like the Apollo coins were not flippable. The majority of the flipping was on limited edition Eagles with special finishes or mint marks. That works because there are a couple hundred thousand Eagle collectors. There are probably only 10,000 to 20,000 "Mint commemorative collectors" (people who buy them all) and the mintages are almost always 100,000 or more.

Last January, before any flipper elimination, the Mint released the Christie McAuliffe commemorative and the Law Enforcement commemorative. There was no panic buying, no immediate sellout, no flipping whatsoever.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Launch Week...w/e 02/27/2022

2022 NATIONAL PURPLE HEART GOLD PROOF 1,345 $681.25 $916,281.25
    2022 NATIONAL PURPLE HEART GOLD UNC 812 $671.25 $545,055.00
    2022 NATIONAL PURPLE HEART SILVER PROOF 19,644 $74.00 $1,453,656.00
    2022 NATIONAL PURPLE HEART SILVER UNC 6,170 $69.00 $425,730.00
    2022 NATIONAL PURPLE HEART CLAD PROOF 10,360 $35.00 $362,600.00
    2022 NATIONAL PURPLE HEART CLAD UNC 6,258 $33.00 $206,514.00
    2022 NATIONAL PURPLE HEART 3-COIN SET 2,447 $799.50 $1,956,376.50

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

Solid numbers.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@cagcrisp said:

Solid numbers.

I thought so...

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    The Mint needs to seriously consider bringjng in real artists and let them create coins and medals that people are proud to buy and put into their collections.
    Enough with the committees and low relief crappy designs.

I've been saying this for years. Most, if not all of the designs considered by many to be the best U.S. designs were created in sculpture by sculptors (St. Gaudens, Weinman, MacNeil, Fraser, etc.). The mint should stop accepting drawings and only accept sculpted designs. It's the translation of the drawings by engravers that produces the low-releif crap designs we're seeing coming steadily from the mint, IMO.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

How many of those options are significantly above 50% of total available (or higher)? Because sales generally fall off the table in subsequent weeks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file