Home Sports Talk

Double Dragon's Super Duper NFL Countdown

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    Where is @doubledragon ?

I hope his time off has been approved!

I have been in touch with him. He's working remotely, and apparently at his leisure.

Ok just please make sure he fills out his time card correctly ☝️

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i've got zero to add on the NFL countdown front, but this was an actual conversation that took place a couple of nights ago when i called my 'rents to see what was up:

me: "what's dad doing?"

mom: "he's in the other room wolfing down a piece of peach cobbler"

me: "that actually sounds pretty good right about now"

mom: "yeah, he found a patti labelle peach cobbler at walmart the other day and has devoured almost all of it"

me: "i'm sorry could you repeat that?"

i don't recall what else that was said, or anything else that happened the rest of the day for that matter

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i've got zero to add on the NFL countdown front, but this was an actual conversation that took place a couple of nights ago when i called my 'rents to see what was up:

me: "what's dad doing?"

mom: "he's in the other room wolfing down a piece of peach cobbler"

me: "that actually sounds pretty good right about now"

mom: "yeah, he found a patti labelle peach cobbler at walmart the other day and has devoured almost all of it"

me: "i'm sorry could you repeat that?"

i don't recall what else that was said, or anything else that happened the rest of the day for that matter

Hot peach cobbler with cold vanilla ice cream melting on top... 👍👍

edited March 25, 2022 12:57PM

Is Brady going to the Dolphins?

Edited to add: seems like he isn't. His retirement/return fiasco obviously didn't go as he planned
    There are rumors that he wants to be GM/player personnel/ownership in Miami in the future.

I understand that fans and players who lost playoff games the old way didn't like it. But I do not like the change. If they were going to change playoff OT rules, I'd like to see them go back to a 15 minute quarter, or leave it at 10, and make it like a new game. Play it until the end.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

I understand that fans and players who lost playoff games the old way didn't like it. But I do not like the change. If they were going to change playoff OT rules, I'd like to see them go back to a 15 minute quarter, or leave it at 10, and make it like a new game. Play it until the end.

We live in a cruel world my friend, where dreams are smashed, I learned this hard lesson a long time ago, when I discovered that I will never be able to live out my dream of being a pirate, with a loyal companion on my shoulder.

@doubledragon How long until the season? Pre-season? HOF game? Draft? And combine? Thanks!!

@thisistheshow said:
    @doubledragon How long until the season? Pre-season? HOF game? Draft? And combine? Thanks!!

I think Double D has been slacking a bit 🤔

@thisistheshow said:

I just checked the countdown clock, and we have 149 days and about 9 hours until kickoff. Forgive me, but I'm a little upset right now, Chef Emeril keeps badgering me, he's continuously sending me these advertisements in the mail, trying to get me to buy an air fryer. He's clogging up my mail box with this stuff, how did he get my address!

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

I just checked the countdown clock, and we have 149 days and about 9 hours until kickoff. Forgive me, but I'm a little upset right now, Chef Emeril keeps badgering me, he's continuously sending me these advertisements in the mail, trying to get me to buy an air fryer. He's clogging up my mail box with this stuff, how did he get my address!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

Edited to add: seems like he isn't. His retirement/return fiasco obviously didn't go as he planned
    There are rumors that he wants to be GM/player personnel/ownership in Miami in the future.

The conspiracy theory out there is that Brady didn't thank the Patriots or Belichick during his retirement speech was because he was planning on playing them twice a year in the AFCE. B)

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

The conspiracy theory out there is that Brady didn't thank the Patriots or Belichick during his retirement speech was because he was planning on playing them twice a year in the AFCE. B)

I didn't watch it . Is there an explanation for how this makes sense? I don't understand how there is a connection. I also think it's possible Brady asked him to say this. Aren't they friends? I don't know, I am just confused. I was upset about Brady not thanking us. That opinion was shellacked on here.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

I didn't watch it . Is there an explanation for how this makes sense? I don't understand how there is a connection. I also think it's possible Brady asked him to say this. Aren't they friends? I don't know, I am just confused. I was upset about Brady not thanking us. That opinion was shellacked on here.

I don't know where this story came from but it did seem really odd that when all of this was supposedly being talked about behind the scenes in Miami, Brady was still under contract in Tampa.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might as well give this a refresh - Can't wait for NFL cause the USFL was a mighty disappointment - What was with the Michigan vs Houston game with nobody in the stands??

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@Steven59 said:
    Might as well give this a refresh - Can't wait for NFL cause the USFL was a mighty disappointment - What was with the Michigan vs Houston game with nobody in the stands??

That's what I was thinking too. I know that it's Easter, but it seems as though you could at least give a bunch of tickets away as charity and make it look a little better.

USFL will fold like all the other non NFL leagues.

Someday these people will learn

@perkdog said:

At this point, I think that it's possible that these leagues know they will fold sooner rather than later. They might just be working under that assumption, while trying to get their five minutes in.

edited April 25, 2022 11:34AM

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

At this point, I think that it's possible that these leagues know they will fold sooner rather than later. They might just be working under that assumption, while trying to get their five minutes in.

It would seem as though the XFL is trying to attach itself to the NFL, perhaps so it can attempt to survive, it's a very bold move. I have learned over the years to never underestimate the Rock, he's very sneaky.

https://www.xfl.com/xfl-latest-news/xfl-announces-exclusive-partnership-with-nfl-alumni-academy

I’m in St. Pete on vacation, Tom Brady territory

@perkdog Have fun, buddy!!

@thisistheshow said:

Thank You!

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

Thank You!

• omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Any schedule release hype out there? One step closer to football.

@omgjedi said:
    Any schedule release hype out there? One step closer to football.

I honestly haven't checked out the leaks that were around. I will probably check it out tomorrow and get back to you. I can say that I look forward to the first game. Thursday night. Should be good. Rams Bills I believe.

Bills at rams is first TNF, HoF game is the "first game" though Aug 4th Raiders vs Jags, may be only pre-season but still football. Need my fix.

Whether you get the $5 or $6 Big Box it will include the same menu items. You get two pieces of Popeyes popular bone-in chicken or three chicken tenders, two regular sides and a biscuit. And it all comes in a nifty box.

Training Camp is getting a little closer 🏈

@perkdog said:

I'm not going to lie, just seeing a new comment in this thread made it feel closer too. I am pretty heavily involved in the NBA Celtics watching. But I know that the NFL is right around the corner. I can smell it.

edited May 28, 2022 3:17PM

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

I'm not going to lie, just seeing a new comment in this thread made it feel closer too. I am pretty heavily involved in the NBA Celtics watching. But I know that the NFL is right around the corner. I can smell it.

Same here but I’m checking the NFL news a bit, Summer is almost here

Ok guys, I checked the countdown clock and it's officially at 100 days until the 2022 NFL season starts, we got 100 days to go, this is cause for a celebration Aaron Rodgers joke.

Aaron Rodgers is looking more and more like Rocco from Boondock Saints every day.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

T minus 98 days

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

So to help with the boredom let’s see the opinions where the top Free Agents will land.
    I’ll start will the receiver corp.

Odell Beckham

Will Fuller

Julio Jones

And everyone’s favorite
    Rob Gronkowski

OBJ will sign with a Super Bowl contender by mid season if not sooner especially if something happens to a Diggs or Kupp. Maybe Arizona to make up for Hopkins 6 game suspension

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Tik tok.. til t> @2dueces said:

So to help with the boredom let’s see the opinions where the top Free Agents will land.

Odell Beckham

Will Fuller

Julio Jones

And everyone’s favorite
    Rob Gronkowski

OBJ will sign with a Super Bowl contender by mid season if not sooner especially if something happens to a Diggs or Kupp. Maybe Arizona to make up for Hopkins 6 game suspension

Julio will be looking for a contender, and if the price is right he very well could end up on the Rams, Bucs, Chargers or your Bills

Gronk will get talked into going back to Tampa to play catch with Brady or retire

OBJ back to Rams or to NO to play with his buddy Landry

Not even a remote clue about Fuller

@perkdog said:

Odell Beckham

Will Fuller

Julio Jones

And everyone’s favorite
    Rob Gronkowski

Julio will be looking for a contender, and if the price is right he very well could end up on the Rams, Bucs, Chargers or your Bills

Gronk will get talked into going back to Tampa to play catch with Brady or retire

How much does Julio have left? I'd assume he could be a nice piece somewhere that he doesn't have to be the main guy.

edited June 2, 2022 11:40AM

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

Odell Beckham

Will Fuller

Julio Jones

And everyone’s favorite
    Rob Gronkowski

How much does Julio have left? I'd assume he could be a nice piece somewhere that he doesn't have to be the main guy.

I’m pretty sure he is still capable to contribute that’s why I say he will probably try to tie on to a real contender. Even without being an every down WR his leadership could help a locker room in my opinion

Thisistheshow hot take prediction:

the second year leap taken by Mac Jones will be so big that it quiets all of the naysayers.

Any doubters remaining will be haters and obvious trolls.

@thisistheshow said:

the second year leap taken by Mac Jones will be so big that it quiets all of the naysayers.

You know I’m right there with the biggest Patriots fan BUT I don’t think that he has the supporting cast to really maximize his potential.

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

You know I’m right there with the biggest Patriots fan BUT I don’t think that he has the supporting cast to really maximize his potential.

He might not maximize it, but I believe it will be on display in an undoubtedly obvious way.

Felt closer why did you have to tell me it was 100 days! I can never like the Pats, but can respect what they have been able to do the last 2 decades with no name supporting cast under Brady/Belichek (maybe the only respectable part of that team). And I should say before the Pats fans drag me across the coals naming past rosters, by no name supporting cast I do mean that they tend to do well in growing talent rather than buying big names. No I don't think Jones is as good as Brady, however, he isn't the worst out there.

edited June 3, 2022 1:46AM

Julio Jones was hampered all year with a nagging hamstring. I still see him as a solid 2. Maybe not the superstar he once was but cagy veteran receivers can be an asset. If he goes somewhere that has a solid QB and a superstar #1 he can surprise people

W.C.Fields

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34058501/cleveland-browns-excuse-baker-mayfield-mandatory-minicamp-mutual-decision?platform=amp

This is going to be absolutely hilarious if Watson gets suspended and they order Mayfield to suit up

@perkdog said:
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34058501/cleveland-browns-excuse-baker-mayfield-mandatory-minicamp-mutual-decision?platform=amp

This is going to be absolutely hilarious if Watson gets suspended and they order Mayfield to suit up

I think it’s a good possibility. Can’t remember the terms of Watsons contract regarding year 1 but was it $ 1 M base because he is bound to be suspended?

W.C.Fields
    W.C.Fields

Please don't comment on this, as it may lead down a path that is inappropriate. I'm only sharing this link as a way to comment on something I've been thinking about. I've pretty much held fast to the notion that I will just keep watching sports for entertainment, at my choosing, regardless of the politics involved. But some things do make it harder for me to stick with that. I think this falls into something under the expression "don't cut off your nose to spite your face" or whatever it is. I think that for me to put too much thought into the opinions of athletes and coaches really ruins it for me. So to stop watching just because of things like this would only be hurting me. But it stinks that they don't allow the coaches and players to truly have free speech, that is when it doesn't fit their narrative.
    Can't wait for the season to start nonetheless.
    https://www.dakotanewsnow.com/2022/06/10/jack-del-rio-fined-100k-comments-about-capitol-riot/

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

I think it’s a good possibility. Can’t remember the terms of Watsons contract regarding year 1 but was it $ 1 M base because he is bound to be suspended?

Of course it’s only 1 million.

They are setting him up to not get financially hurt if he is suspended for the season.

It’s so obvious it’s comical

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh! Turned on the USFL NO vs TB - I see another "PACKED" house.........they must be piping in the crowd noise cause there ain't no way 25 people can make that much noise...... :D How is this league still thriving AND on TV???

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"