Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your 1936-1942 Proofs

FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

In favor or resurrecting an old thread I’m going to create this new one for all to post in. The market for these earlier proofs has been steadily increasing as they become more understood and appreciated. Cameos still remain extremely scarce and coins with nice original toning or contrast command rather high premiums. Also, they seem to be mentioned on this forum more often, so without further ado, post your 1936-1942 proofs! I’ll start it off with two of my favorites:

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

Comments

• Options

@GhosOfRudy I love the color on that ‘39. @Eldorado9 I don’t think I’ve ever seen a original set from the mint except for the ‘42 set you have there. Do you have any other pictures, that’s a truly rare set in how it is still in the original packaging!

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones those nickels are incredible ... I was never much of a nickel guy, until now —- wow!!!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2022 3:36PM

Yes, I really like the Satin Finish one the best. It is really nice, and I think that it is the best rendition of the Buffalo Nickel design that I have ever seen. The Satin Finish pieces sell for several hundred dollars less than the Brilliant pieces in the same grade.

Believe it or not, I had a slightly better example of the Brilliant Nickel years ago. It was graded PR-67 like this one, but had no microscopic spots. I sold it because the bids had gone way up on them (Higher than today, actually), and a dealer made me "an offer I couldn't refuse."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones Those nickels really are stunning. The higher prices for the Brilliant coins always baffled me because they just lack the detail that the Satin coins offer. I always try to find the coins with the best detail, and it just seemed strange to me that the market preferred the Brilliant coins. Stunning contrast and toning or beautiful coins everyone else! Keep them coming!

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

number 19 on the current PSGC registry
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/proof-sets/1936-1942-proof-set/317

I'm doing the set the hard way, no cameo or DC

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2022 6:26PM

@cmerlo1 said:
    I bought this one on eBay in an old PCI slab in 2003 and submitted it to NGC, where it made 65 RD Cameo. At the time, it was the second one graded at both services. Sorry for the images- I didn't have the equipment or skills in 2003 that I have now!

The obvious thing to do is to re-image that beauty. I'd love to see it.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last I looked into this series PCGS had still not graded a Washington quarter Cameo yet. The thing just doesn't exist I guess....

jom

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sparky64 said:

@cmerlo1 said:
    I bought this one on eBay in an old PCI slab in 2003 and submitted it to NGC, where it made 65 RD Cameo. At the time, it was the second one graded at both services. Sorry for the images- I didn't have the equipment or skills in 2003 that I have now!

The obvious thing to do is to re-image that beauty. I'd love to see it.

Unfortunately, I sold the coin not long after it came back from NGC. I did very well :)

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@Cameonut Have you ever considered cracking that '42 to try for a DCAM? It looks like it might be close from the pictures.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice presentation.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Some of these original coins aren’t the most attractively toned but I like the contrast on the reverse of this one:

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of these original coins aren’t the most attractively toned but I like the contrast on the reverse of this one:

One of the issues that I have with some of the high grade pieces that the TPGs and CAC like is with the amount of haze that is on the surfaces of the coin from the celluloid sleeves that the mint used to ship the coins. When it gets really thick, it obscures the Proof mirrors and impairs the eye appeal in my opinion. I know that the haze is the hallmark of originality, but too much of it is not attractive. I avoid those coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones Agreed. The coin I had posted is in an old soapbox ANACS 65. I am really not a fan of the obverse haze but with it having a fairly attractive reverse I went for it, partly because it fit in my budget and 1938 quarters are really hard to find with somewhat good detail in my experience. This goes against one of the main pieces of advice I could receive but I think that it goes well with the rest of the set and is a solid 65. I do however, take issue with some of the coins graded 68 by the TPGs that have a lot of haze that dulls the mirrors. I think that should maxed out at 66, but I don’t get to set the standards lol.

• Options
    Off_Cent_erOff_Cent_er Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file