Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1895 s $20 Would the mark on the cheek be considered scratched

Wondering if the mark on the cheek would make this grade as scratched details only

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately it looks like a light staple scratch. I’d say odds of a straight grade are 50-50.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    KtpKtp Posts: 68 ✭✭

Kinda my thought as well. I go back and forth on it. It does seem to start in the contact mark around the middle of the nose. I sent it off so will no for sure someday.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the pictures of the entire coin, my guess would be a straight grade.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Fingers crossed. Will post results whenever I get it back

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would probably straight grade unless the scratch is much more visible in-hand than in the photos.

Way too many photos posted. Edit, edit, edit!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Ha! Fair enough. Just tried to give an over all look in varied light at different angles.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it'll straight grade!

Tom

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Straight. Maybe net graded.

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

Should straight grade. I don't think PCGS will break out the electron microscope and look at it 15 different ways.

-Paul

Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2022 10:54PM

Nice coin let us know how she grade’s out.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Straight grade. That scratch will be considered by the graders when they assign a grade and may cause them to drop the grade a point from what it would have graded if it weren't present on your coin. Also, could we get a few more pics? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:

Isn’t every coin other than an MS70 or PF70 “net graded” for various imperfections?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ktp ... Welcome aboard.... I think it will straight grade. Honestly, the ding below the eye concerns me more.... Let us know what grade it receives. Also, what grade do YOU think it will get. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

2,756 pictures are a bit much.

okay should grade

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd give it decent odds of straight-grading. It's not strong enough to be an obvious "oh jeez, that coin has a scratch I can't unsee" candidate, so this is the type of scratch where it depends on how it hits the light. If it's relatively minor at any angle (even if noticeable) I imagine it should grade. If, as the coin is being rotated under light, it flashes like a headlamp and becomes super obvious, it could be deemed distracting enough to warrant a details grade. It will hurt the grade regardless, but without seeing it in hand (and even then, it's probably still going to be luck of the draw) I can't say with more certainty.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@fathom said:

Isn’t every coin other than an MS70 or PF70 “net graded” for various imperfections?

Yes. And in this case a more specific rationale it would not details IMO.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

It being a $20, I expect it to straight grade. $20s seem to get a little more leeway for dings, light scratches, dark (sometimes blackish) bag friction on the cheek, etc.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options

Ricko if I had to guess I would say 64. I have 10 other liberty $20 and they are all 62’s and 63’s. This is far superior to all of those. In hand not much is noticeable to me. Looking at photos of 64’s it looks more mark free than the ones I have seen on Pcgs, heritage, stacks, etc… I haven’t seen enough in person yet to be super confident.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2022 8:12AM

Looks to me like what wb called a big hit or major mark. I would wager straight grade.

Can’t see it going any higher than 61.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms71 said:
    It being a $20, I expect it to straight grade. $20s seem to get a little more leeway for dings, light scratches, dark (sometimes blackish) bag friction on the cheek, etc.

I would expect double eagles, being such big heavy coins, to have more dings and chatter etc. than smaller coins. They may well get more leeway for straight grading.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Forums! I think I'd need to see more pictures to know for sure... :wink:

Seriously though... as others have already said, I also think it would likely straight-grade. The first two close-up images seemed to highlight the light scratch, which then disappeared when viewing the entire coin...

If you submit, please let us know the result. Best, Leo

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Ktp Welcome aboard.
    I hope that it will straight grade for you.
    Outstanding pictures but far too many.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more photo and I can tell for sure.

• Options

• Options

Came back ms 62

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ktp said:
    Came back ms 62

Nice looking 62

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file