Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

February 2022 New Pickups thread

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 1, 2022 11:21AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

February begins with some beautiful, low grade, hard to find Yankees goodness. The first is the baseball legend in an obscure and tough to come by though star heavy set in a beautifully posed 5x7 action shot that was also used in other period issues. Sadly, I don't have a ton from his playing days but I'm certainly making an effort to change that and this is a big get in that regard since it dates to 1930. If I send this one to PSA (I might, rabbit, I might), it would even the population report off at 20 total examples graded.

1930 W554 Babe Ruth

Pickup number two is a much nicer copy of an item I already had - though still beat up because its me we're talking about - that is also considered a toughie; Rawlings pumped out a lot of material with his likeness and since his gloves often sold out and the photos were pretty popular too as pinup posters, several unique poses ended up being issued over the years. This one likely dates to around '62 specifically though they're painted with the 1950-1970 brush officially. With the scan below it was slightly too big for my scanner to accomodate all four sides (8.5ish x10.5ish).

1950-70 Rawlings Advisory Staff Photos - Mickey Mantle (Waist Up, Road Uniform)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man, Tim, that Ruth is AWESOME!!

As you know, if I could collect more of a prewar player I’d collect Jimmie Foxx. Would love to own just one playing period Babe!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@handyman said:

Hey, there...wanna trade?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    Really like the way this one presents. Off centre for sure but with the rough cut, I think they were tough on the bottom corners. They are touched but were not square out of the pack. Back is typical for this card.

Also feel this newly graded gretz was graded a bit harsh and was good value for what is IMO the best hockey set of the 80s

Last, an OPC Chipper rook that looks undergraded as well. I have a stack of these but this one came slabbed and auto’d for what it would have cost to to get one signed raw.

Love the Bossy, looking for a half decent centered one is almost impossible. The Gretzky could pass for an 8 and the Chipper opc is an underrated rookie.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx - agree on Bossy, I've had a few and this one is better to the eye then most I've touched

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey 51 Wheaties,
    Pretty Cool on your: 1930 W554 Babe Ruth

1930 W554 Babe Ruth

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2022 12:48PM

Slabbed recently. Can't go wrong with 4 HOFers. Presents really well for a PSA 3.

Big fan of the leaders cards. I enjoy reading the backs and seeing the leaders from the year. My favorite is from 1963 and has 5 Hall of Famers - Aaron, F. Robinson, Mays, Cepeda and Banks.

Great card to get graded. Congrats.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

Slabbed recently. Can't go wrong with 4 HOFers. Presents really well for a PSA 3.

Big fan of the leaders cards. I enjoy reading the backs and seeing the leaders from the year. My favorite is from 1963 and has 5 Hall of Famers - Aaron, F. Robinson, Mays, Cepeda and Banks.

Great card to get graded. Congrats.

Thanks....I have a few graded leaders cards in my collection, mid grade vintage with decent centering and color. Another way to collect HOFers I suppose.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    A POP 11 Duncan Rookie

Are inserts considered rookies? Or rookie inserts? Just wondering

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

Lord Vader is now MINE!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 47th PSA 10 for this set of 202

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2022 7:44AM
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@redlegs said:
    I had been casually looking for a Tony Oliva for my hall of fame set and came across this one at a very reasonable price. It's the highest graded.

Does the seller have anymore ?

• Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@redlegs said:
    I had been casually looking for a Tony Oliva for my hall of fame set and came across this one at a very reasonable price. It's the highest graded.

Does the seller have anymore ?

On ebay I bought the Oliva for $70. He also had a Bob Gibson PSA 5 listed but that also sold quickly for $85. He just has a Rico Petrocelli PSA 8 left.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hyperchipper09 thanks for mentioning Tippett, my all time favorite player! Great Rickey card, centering in 84 is such a bitch!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hyperchipper09 said:
    On the way. Ornery card,reminds me of trying to find a top shelf 85T Dent RC. Probably the best 9 I could find. Tough guy on the field. LT , Tippett , Rickey were 3 special OLB's in the 80's.

One of my all time faves. Rickey was in the same draft as LT. New Orleans had first pick. Took George Rogers. Could have had both

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Just in time to celebrate Roger Staubach's birthday I picked up my 4th 1979 rack pack with him showing on top. I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to this card.

Um, Pretty Cool BBCE Rack....
    My question is: "What's behind your 79 Rack"?

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Just in time to celebrate Roger Staubach's birthday I picked up my 4th 1979 rack pack with him showing on top. I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to this card.

Hey Brian, it's the Topps football card book they put out in 1986, has color photos of every Topps football card, large hardback coffee table style book.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@Kid4hof03 said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

Hey Brian, it's the Topps football card book they put out in 1986, has color photos of every Topps football card, large hardback coffee table style book.

That's Pretty Cool :)

• Options
    edited February 6, 2022 9:57AM

I have the baseball coffee table book. I did t know they also put out a football version. Very cool.

The baseball book was the source of my want lists in the pre internet days.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    I have the baseball coffee table book. I did t know they also put out a football version. Very cool.

The baseball book was the source of my want lists in the pre internet days.

I've got them both on the table in my office. My Dad gave me the baseball one for Christmas back in 1985, I can't even imagine the number of hours I have spent with that book over the years. I picked up the football one a few years ago.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

Same it was a joint gift for my brother and I.

• Options

In the late 90’s I was working a construction job at the Lake County library, and during my lunch time hours I would look at that hard bound Baseball book till my eyes were burning. :)
    And Thanks to Kid4hof03 I need to buy the Football one! :)

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

There is also a vintage book , similar to the Topps that has 1800 - 1940's .

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    @hyperchipper09 thanks for mentioning Tippett, my all time favorite player! Great Rickey card, centering in 84 is such a bitch!

@DBesse27 said:

Tippett was a great player. Big, strong, fast, cerebral. Does not get mentioned enough with the greats in my opinion.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OE96fTYES1U

• Options

@1959 said:
    There is also a vintage book , similar to the Topps that has 1800 - 1940's .

Do you have any more info on this book?

Title, publisher, etc.

Brad

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    February begins with some beautiful, low grade, hard to find Yankees goodness. The first is the baseball legend in an obscure and tough to come by though star heavy set in a beautifully posed 5x7 action shot that was also used in other period issues. Sadly, I don't have a ton from his playing days but I'm certainly making an effort to change that and this is a big get in that regard since it dates to 1930. If I send this one to PSA (I might, rabbit, I might), it would even the population report off at 20 total examples graded.

1930 W554 Babe Ruth

Pickup number two is a much nicer copy of an item I already had - though still beat up because its me we're talking about - that is also considered a toughie; Rawlings pumped out a lot of material with his likeness and since his gloves often sold out and the photos were pretty popular too as pinup posters, several unique poses ended up being issued over the years. This one likely dates to around '62 specifically though they're painted with the 1950-1970 brush officially. With the scan below it was slightly too big for my scanner to accomodate all four sides (8.5ish x10.5ish).

Awesome pick ups. Looking at the stuff you have been buying the last couple years, you have really hit the jackpot on several cards(not that you are looking to sell), but you have been buying in a great lane. Superb!

• Options

Brad, it titled "Classic Baseball Cards " By Frank Slocum Forward by Yogi Berra. It 1886- 1956. It the same size as the Topps book and contains the same size photos but no summery of each. Mabe more info. if you goggle under books. I will google and see if I can give more Info. It is a supper book. Pictures of all triple folders, leaf , 206 etc.

• Options

Yes, google classic baseball cards by frank slocum and it comes up. On sale for 50.00 and 125.00

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

1930 W554 Babe Ruth

Awesome pick ups. Looking at the stuff you have been buying the last couple years, you have really hit the jackpot on several cards(not that you are looking to sell), but you have been buying in a great lane. Superb!

Really kind of you to say. I have been very fortunate, yes, and I think there’s a lot of really great material out there that for whatever reason just needs a little more light shining on it to get it noticed. The pre-Topps era features so many of the sports most esteemed players and there’s some incredibly beautiful baseball material from that period of time: postcards, 5x7s, strip cards, hand cut cards, premiums, panels and pinups, to name just a few that are out there, in addition to the more traditional, standard sized baseball card. The image on this Ruth is just amazingly clear and the size is like that of a cabinet card. Babe Ruth had his likeness on many things during his career and sizes were played with by all the various companies until Topps settled on a size in 1957 that would basically become the ‘standard’ size that we all embrace today.