Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1950-D Jefferson Nickel - I'm gonna buy one!

BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never found one. That coin was a big deal in the day.

Don't care if it's circulated. Matter of fact, it might even be rarer that way.

The looking begins.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go get one!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try finding one in FN15 or less!

peacockcoins

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to the coin shop. If not let me know I think I can spare one for you.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll have plenty of fun with this one

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2022 5:18PM

@BuffaloIronTail said:

...Don't care if it's circulated. Matter of fact, it might even be rarer that way...

Rarer than you might think: 1950-D Nickel PCGS population report shows just one graded F12. None lower.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Jaime Hernandez:
    This is one of the key dates in the Jefferson Nickel due to its very low mintage. its total mintage is only 2,630,000. Compare its mintage to an earlier issue such as the 1943-P where the Mint struck 271,165,000 Jefferson Nickels.

The 1950-D nickel has survived in large quantities over the years as it has always been considered a key date. Therefore, most example were saved and today coins are very easily obtainable even by the rolls.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

@rooksmith said:
    Jaime Hernandez:
    This is one of the key dates in the Jefferson Nickel due to its very low mintage. its total mintage is only 2,630,000. Compare its mintage to an earlier issue such as the 1943-P where the Mint struck 271,165,000 Jefferson Nickels.

The 1950-D nickel has survived in large quantities over the years as it has always been considered a key date. Therefore, most example were saved and today coins are very easily obtainable even by the rolls.

Yeah -- Thats right, you cant find it EXCEPT in Mint State ... Still a great coin to collect, they dont make them any more!

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's mine:

peacockcoins

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2022 9:35AM

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    Never found one. That coin was a big deal in the day.

Don't care if it's circulated. Matter of fact, it might even be rarer that way.

The looking begins.

Pete

If you hurry up, there is an MS-66 going on auction on eBay in another 40 odd minutes

All the best.

Guess I got lucky with that one and pulled it out of circulation.

:)

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some years ago I got a couple BU ones from Littleton on sale for $6 each. B):p

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@braddick said:
    Here's mine:

That looks like a weakly struck UNC rather than an XF40

Yeah that has an awful lot of apparent luster for an XF40.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@Crypto said:

@braddick said:
    Here's mine:

CAC! CAC!
    🤠

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a circulated one out of a coin shop years ago. Didn't think it was particularly special by being a circulated piece. Bought a nice unc last year for $8. Those of you with circulated '50-D nickels might consider putting it in a rock tumbler and wearing it down to PO-1 or put it in your pocket for half a century if you can wait. PO-1 1950-D nickel has to be worth a fortune.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe there are one or two in my nickel jar... (two quart jar).... I remember seeing one anyway... At the time, I thought to myself, 'These are supposed to be scarce... and here is one.' I hope it is there and I didn't spend it... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's actually hard to find a 1950-D Nickel in circulated condition.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    I have not found a 50-D in circulation either...so I bought one too!

A rather nice one, if I should say so myself!

Pete

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

...Don't care if it's circulated. Matter of fact, it might even be rarer that way...

Rarer than you might think: 1950-D Nickel PCGS population report shows just one graded F12. None lower.

Honestly, I don't think the slabbed population tells you much about a $5 coin.

What is the PCGS population of 1999 quarters XF or lower?

• Options

@moursund said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@Crypto said:

@braddick said:
    Here's mine:

CAC! CAC!
    🤠

Not eligible

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@Crypto said:

@braddick said:
    Here's mine:

CAC! CAC!
    🤠

Not eligible

Yeah, that occurred to me after my post. Thanks...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭

mine, one of two I own, the other is MS65FS

• Options

I paid a fortune for one in the 1960s. $22.50 which could have been much better spent on something else. Still raw. Think it's a low to mid range Unc. with full steps. One of the worst purchases I've ever made.

• Options
    QE GuyQE Guy Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a couple from the LCS for my kids’ albums - nicest Jefferson in the collection!

• Options

@Elcontador1 said:
    I paid a fortune for one in the 1960s. $22.50 which could have been much better spent on something else. Still raw. Think it's a low to mid range Unc. with full steps. One of the worst purchases I've ever made.

You bought a coin you enjoyed for 60 years. Sounds like a great purchase.

This is why focus on "investment" ruins the hobby aspect. IMHO

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador1 said:

My uncle was a casual collector from that generation and in the mid 70s I would pester him to take me to the coin shop. One time, the dealer mentioned that he just got some BU 50-D nickels. Only $10 each he said. My uncle commented about how that was cheap. He bought 2 that day. Oh, it makes me sad thinking about what he could have bought instead of those nickels.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t be sad he enjoyed them. That’s why we do what we do if we like it then it doesn’t matter what we paid. I just try to get the nicest coins for the price I’m paying but it doesn’t always work that way. Some of the most liked coins I rec as a gift that are not worth much but I like the best in my collection. Like this one he said you like nickels so you can have it. Some may say big deal it’s a nickel but I love it he gave it to me raw but I sent it in as soon as I got home, I’ll try to keep it to the end of my life.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:

@Elcontador1 said:

My uncle was a casual collector from that generation and in the mid 70s I would pester him to take me to the coin shop. One time, the dealer mentioned that he just got some BU 50-D nickels. Only $10 each he said. My uncle commented about how that was cheap. He bought 2 that day. Oh, it makes me sad thinking about what he could have bought instead of those nickels.

Exactly. When I bought my 50 D, a complete set of Unc. silver Roosevelt dimes could be had for $15, and a roll of generic IHCs in G-F for $8.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2022 3:28PM

Oh! Well, look at what this thread has done to me.
    I just had to have an MS 66 sample of the 1950 D and made an impulse buy :blush:
    Have it all in the raw but thought maybe a slabbed set would be nice to start......

Edited to add pics. o:)

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a 50-D in circulation in the 90's. At the time, the only date I had not found in circulation was the 39-D.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

I bought one. Finally. It's UNC but I'm happy.

Thanks for all the posts and stories. A lot of them sound like the same stuff I went through back then.

Pete

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2022 4:28PM

I have the 45D - I thought that was the key date?
    I was never much of a nickel guy - my grandfather gave me a “ renegade“ V nickel for those who know what that is. That was 40 years ago and I still have it.
    Has a thin layer of gold on the “no cents” V nickel meant to fool folks that it was a 5 dollar gold piece.
    I am told (maybe incorrectly) that sending a renegade to PCGS will end in a details graffiti grade - but it is pretty and AU or even better grade.

• Options

Pics are not great - but you can see the color and even can see slight layering of the gold plating

• Options

@Che_Grapes said:
    I was never much of a nickel guy - my grandfather gave me a “ renegade“ V nickel for those who know what that is. That was 40 years ago and I still have it.
    Has a thin layer of gold on the “no cents” V nickel meant to fool folks that it was a 5 dollar gold piece.
    I am told (maybe incorrectly) that sending a renegade to PCGS will end in a details graffiti grade - but it is pretty and AU or even better grade.

I have always heard of it being referred to as the "Racketeer" nickel but am hearing "renegade" for the first time.

• Options

I have always heard of it being referred to as the "Racketeer" nickel but am hearing "renegade" for the first time.

well it was 40 years ago so maybe I remembered it wrong - my regrets we will go with racketeer .... not sure what that means but that’s OK

• Options

A quick google search and it is racketeer not renegade ... although somehow renegade makes more sense but clearly that was my mistake

• Options

No worries at all. I was hearing rhat term for the first time and just wanted to confirm because am learning something new everyday.
    Hence the query.
    Cheers

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

That can be solved by carrying an unc around with you for awhile

• Options

@Gazes said:

@BillJones said:

That can be solved by carrying an unc around with you for awhile

I always felt that doing that was "cheating", in a way.

Pete

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:
    Oh! Well, look at what this thread has done to me.
    I just had to have an MS 66 sample of the 1950 D and made an impulse buy :blush:
    Have it all in the raw but thought maybe a slabbed set would be nice to start......

Edited to add pics. o:)

That folder sure does elicit memories.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not go to the bank and get some rolls of nickels and see how long it takes you to find one!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:

Pics are not great - but you can see the color and even can see slight layering of the gold plating

Nice memento.
    Back in my day, I knew it as a racketeer nickel.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

That's why the Mint had a heart attack in 1913 when CENTS started to wear prematurely on the new Buffalo Nickel.

Pete

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file