Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

LordM's Virtual Type Set Giveaway ***WINNER DECLARED IN POST 189!***

*** UPDATE: 3:00 AM EASTERN (urrrgh!), JULY 14TH ***
*** WE HAVE A WINNER! *** (Scroll back to post #189 for the full story).

While cleaning out the hard drive of my old computer, I discovered a lot of pictures of coins from my old certified 1798-2000 nongold US type set. This means pretty much every regular issue type made by the US Mint from 1798 on, excluding the gold. (When I collected most of these coins, back in 1997-1999, I was on a much smaller budget, but bought the best I could afford at any given time. I was not then a strict PCGS snob as I am now).

I will post some of these pictures occasionally, spread some around on the forums, put some up here now and then, and share some via Private Message with people who post on this thread. The object here is to "collect" them all (I think there were 89 or 90 coins in all, but I don't have all the pictures uploaded yet). Some of these coins were sold long ago, some I still have, and some of the PCGS-certified ones became part of my later Registry sets. A few of the PCGS-certified coins are currently for sale- those will have a little note below the picture. However, my purpose here is not to sell the coins that are for sale, but to give one of the coins away, and have a lot fun doing it.

The first person who is able to list the entire collection (including individual dates, grading services, and grades) will win one of the coins. Sound like a lot of work? Maybe it is. But the coin being given away should be worth the effort. Though not gold, it is actually worth more than either of the two small gold coins I recently gave away. It is neither one of the more "modern" coins from the set, nor is it one of the early ones. Monetarily, it is neither among the cheapest nor the most valuable.

We all like to collect coins, and look at pictures of coins, right? Hopefully this giveaway will be fun, and maybe even educational for a few. No knowledge of United States Type coins is needed, though such knowledge can't hurt. You are encouraged to swap and share information with one another as you like, in order to "build" the virtual type set. You can either save the pictures on your computer, or merely write down the data on each coin (date, mintmark, variety, grade, service). I will number the pictures so you will know the order of each coin in the set. When you know 'em all, you may PM me your list and I will announce the winner. Obviously this giveaway will take a while, especially as I am sometimes absent from the computer for a few days, and there are lots of coins in the Virtual Type Set, but it should be fun. (I hope so, anyway...)

Everyone who posts on this thread will get a few clues via Private Message, a "virtual" coin or two from the set. Different folks will get different coins, though sometimes there will be overlaps. You are encouraged to share at least one of your clues with someone else, to bring in more players. Please be patient with my occasional absences, as things are sometimes hectic around here.

***UPDATE, JULY 12TH: The complete list of all 89 coins you will need to find is here. The specifics of the first 24 coins in the set, plus one or two others, have been added. Refer to that thread for the latest suggestions on how to play, and info on how the clues will be awarded from here on.***

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, here's the first coin I'll throw out there, to get y'all started (others will be posted or PM'ed in random order):

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Sounds like fun. Kind of like a scavenger hunt of sorts. I can't wait to start playing! image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    I'm up for it!

Just what I need.... another reason to hit the internet! image
    NMFB ™

• Options
    I'll sit this giveaway out as I just won Askari's huge Krause giveaway... I have a Krause now, Lord M!!!

BUT if I were up for this game I'd actually be more motivated to participate if I knew what the actual coin being given away is. But that's just me...
  • Options
    Good job, Darkhorse. About time you were "Kraused". Good job to Askari for a generous giveaway, too. I might disclose which of these "Virtual" coins is the giveaway later. However, I might just remain mysterious. image

I'll PM you a clue, anyway. You may participate or not, as you wish. Even those who aren't playing to win can share their clues with others.

a2labmom and ClarkOfKent, clues have been PM'ed your way...

• Options
    Ok count me in....Will be interesting.
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
  • Options
    OK, you two are in. Welcome!

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Lord, we deign and kneel before your greatness, but your loyal serfs beg you to answer our pleadings ... Will the virtual set be posted in order by number? That is, for example, if we have 1, 2 3 and 5, can we conclude we are missing 4 and must continue our hunt? Or, will they be distributed in random order? Kindly respond to our entreaty ...
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭
    I've kinda laid out of the giveaways lately, but I am up for this one............sounds like a lot of fun, plus will get some good example pics of some coins.
    imageimage

• Options
    RGL- you are correct. If you have #1, #2, #3, and #5, you may deduce that #4 is missing. The coins will be distributed in random order, and pretty much the stuff below quarters to start out with, as I made a numbering goof further down the set (skipped the eagle reverse clad Washington). So while I fix the numbering of the higher end of the set (and insert the overlooked coin in its correct sequence), I will share the lower-numbered pics.

Those who know a little about US type coins will often be able to guess what type the missing coin(s)in their sequences are. This will continue on up to #89, maybe #90. I forget at the moment. The Sacagawea dollar is the last type, since this set does not include the gold coins. So all of you are encouraged to "trade" info, for example:

"Psst! Hey, I'll swap you #2 (the Classic Head half cent) for #28 (the Shield Nickel with Rays)!",

and so on.

This can be a fun giveaway for even the more advanced folk who normally do not participate in giveaways- they can share clues with others- play to help, not to win, in other words. And if I PM anyone a clue, it is yours to share (or not) as you wish- you may keep it secret, PM it to someone else, or even post it publicly on the forums. That's up to you. You could even give away my clues as a part of your own giveaways! I will try to share each coin pic in at least two different venues, in case somebody is keeping their cards close to their chest and not sharing clues. image

In response to Darkhorse's earlier query about which coin will be given away, you can bet it ain't the Bust dollar, LOL. Or my Cameo proof Barber half you see in my icon and will see later on in the set. I won't tell exactly what the giveaway coin is (yet), but here are a few clues:
      1) It is neither one of the newest nor one of the oldest coins in the set, having been struck the year the Titanic sank. 2) It is not one of the cheapest nor one of the most valuable coins in the set (after all, my generosity has to have some boundaries!). It was valued at $88 on Numismedia the last time I looked, but is not listed in that particular grade on the PCGS priceguide. I paid maybe $60 for it in 1998, when I was a much smaller-budget collector. I used the coin in my old PCGS Registry type set, never having gotten around to buying a better one.3) While not extremely high grade, it IS Mint State and attractive.4) It is PCGS certified, in one of the older green-label holders.Here's another "freebie" clue for y'all:

• Options
    Wow, very cool concept, LM! Count me in.
    Home brew is best - Never drink alone
  • Options
    You're in! You, too, GaCoinNewbie! (I'll have to give you the Statehood quarter when that is uploaded- it's a GA, of course!) image

From now on, I'll try to send more than one pic to everyone who posts- you can keep one to yourself and share one or two with someone else who isn't playing yet- y'all bring in some new players, hear?

• Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    I am in on this one LM.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    Welcome in, Jarrett. PM sent. Having won two of my past giveaways, and one of the gold coins, I wonder how you'll do on this one? Will that famous luck carry through again? Of course, this one takes some "collecting" skill, too... image

OK, for all you organized types who are disturbed by not having #1 to start off with:

The only picture I had left of that coin was a teeny one showing the holder. Oh, well. You get the idea. Sorry I couldn't do both sides of these coins- dealing with 90-odd images was tough enough! Y'all have the first three, now, though future posts will be in random order.

• Options
    LM... my checking account is at $1.13 right now. I am living off of giveaways now, however, on a good note, I think I will have a job within 3 or 4 days. It will be $6/h plus tips. And as for posting the first one... hell, I want the last one, so I know how many of the dern things there areimage.

And I don't believe the last giveaways were luck... ok the gold one was... but on the other there was trivia. Skill!

Now that you have had your long break from the forums, where are those eBay auctions ya promised?image

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    True enough, Jarrett- you won the first giveaway by brainpower alone. The second one was luck. image

This one might involve a combination of the two.

As to my eBay stuff, I am still scanning and uploading pictures, and getting stuff ready, but I've delayed actually listing anything yet, due to chaotic conditions at work. I am sometimes unable to be online for several days at a time, and therefore don't want the responsibility of shipping a bunch of coins yet, until things calm down a bit. (Besides, this gives you time to save up a little moolah for when I do list some stuff, right?) image

BTW, I will post the last coin, too, (the Sacagawea dollar) so you can know how many there are in the entire set. The trouble is, I made a numbering error up in the quarters somewhere, and have to fix that, first. There were 89 coins in the original set, but I think the total number might be 90 overall. I accidentally skipped one. So for now, I'll share the pics I have uploaded, and we'll put the small-denomination coins out there first. Once the numbering is fixed for the larger-denomination coins, I will probably skip around a bit more in what I post...

• Options
    My coin budget has dropped so much, I am actually having to sell some crap on eBay: two slabs, some damaged coins, some gold-plated coins, and some kennedy proofs. That will be my moolah that I can use on your auctions.

-Jarrett Roberts

My auction linkimageimageimage
    . . . . | . . . .
    . . . . | . . . .
    . . . . | . . . .
    . . . . | . . . .
    . . . . | . . . .
    . . . .| . . . /
    . . . .| . . / .
    . . . .| . / . .
    . . . .| / . . .
    . . . . / . . . .
  • Options
    You have to admit I have an advantage to the giveaway LM... While the average joe is out working, I am home ALL day, and spent much of my time on the forums.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    Hmm. I suppose this one is slanted a bit towards Net junkies, LOL.

You know I had to give you a bid on those Holeys, though I didn't need any of 'em for my Holey Coin Vest (thanks to your already giving me one of the 3c nicks). I am starting a Holey Coin Hat for Michael S. ("Aethelred"), so he won't look so drab and boring next to me when we go to the 2003 FUN show in Orlando.

Since you gave me a holed 3c nickel, I'll give you a virtual one. Maybe one or two of the other coins in your sig line wantlist, too! But since I have already sent you some clues, you have to share these with others... image

• Options
    I'll spread the wealthimageimageimage.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    By the way... that proof indian head (#11) is a brilliant coin. If you don't mind, how much did you have to pay for it. It says only PR62, but the contrast in colors is niceimage.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    I would like to participate in this most interesting giveaway I've seen so far. Thanks!

Severo
    Severo, a Numismatically Disturbed Individual
  • Options
    Jarrett- You mean THIS one? image

Man, I loved that coin. I sort of regret selling it. I think I got it for around $100, and sold for a little over $125, if I recall correctly. Not the highest technical grade, but that thing had monster eye appeal and color. I would rather have it than my current MS65 RD coin which is worth more than 3X as much. I used it as an icon for a short while. It and the Barber half are the only 19th C proofs I have owned so far.

• Options
    Oh, hi, Severo! image

Nice to hear from my other gold winner! I hope that thing gets to you in the mail soon! PM on the way.

Jarrett- I would have bid on your commem, too, but I see another board member has put her claim down. I might take a stab at it later. We'll see.

• Options
    Thats the coin alright. For that price, I think I might get one in the future. Stunning eye appeal.

I have been spreading the wealth pretty good. Ive PMed 5 people that aren't in the giveaway yet, and 3 that are already signed up and gave them a visit from the scavenger-hunt-fairyimage.

Also... I don't discourage competition among board members at all. In fact I remember that same moose-dog upping the bid on Don's (ajaan's) Prussian coinimage.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    Well... I better get to bed soon. I have to be up at 7AM tommorow... oh godimage.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    Hi LordM!

Thanks for the virtual coins!

As to the real one, haven't received it yet. I hope it gets to me pronto image

By the way, not long ago I won another precious metal giveaway by Blackhawk, this time a 1964 Bermuda crown!

Severo
  • Options
    I'm probably not far behind you, Jarrett. (Different bed, though! ...Yikes, that didn't sound so good at first!) imageimage
    At least I don't hafta get up at 7:00, since the wife will be home, but little Miss Victoria will probably wake up around then and want to be fed.

You're welcome, Severo. I might send you a few more clues later. What time is it in Moscow?

• Options
    I'm writing this post at 10:33 AM Moscow time.

I am in the office and am supposed to be working image

Severo
  • Options
    I know that scenario all too well, heheh. Well, good night (or morning). It's pushin' 3 AM here.

ZZZ.

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    ok LordM, count me in. But when looking at the thread, two of your freebie clues didn't show up for me, I only saw coin no. 1. Maybe you can fill me in on the missing ones too?
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    The others came in via a reload.
  • Options
    I'd like to join the hunt, but I'm not sure I know what I'm doing. I'll re-read the posts, and try to figure it out, but even if I don't win, it sounds like it will be alot of fun.
    Rich
  • Options
    LM,

please include me, I want to play.

matt
    "the world is full of kings and queens, they blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell"
  • Options
    LM, you need to include some slab numbers so I can work on my virtual
    registry set. image

Scott M
    Scott M

Everything is linear if plotted log-log with a fat magic marker
  • Options
    Welcome, new players. PM's sent. image

Hmm... did I already share this one?

By the end of tonight, the first 24 virtual coins should all be in circulation.

• Options
    Hi,

For those of yall who are looking for coins... there are three sitting in some threads on these boardsimage that have just been added by meimage.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    (Edited and updated. The final list of all 89 coins you will need to hunt for is HERE.)

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Welcome, Mrpaseo. PM sent.

OK, the next 3 people to post (need not be new players) may ask for two specific coins by type or by number. I will PM you the virtual coins you request.

Note that I only have pictures of the first 24 types uploaded at present, so be sure to pick one off the list I posted previously. (#1 through #24).

• Options
    I could use #5 and #7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    NMFB ™

• Options
    Did I type 5 & 7?

I REALLY MEANT #14 & #15!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I'm still the first 2 people!
    NMFB ™

• Options
    Which was it? #5 and #7, or #14 and #15? image

Tell ya what... I'll PM you #14 and #15, and give you a hint on the others: #5 and #7 are easily found in the same thread, on one of the other coin forums... image

• Options
    14, 15, & 18
    Bill

• Options
    WWBillman- I'm only offering two freebies, but since you were an early entrant, and didn't get as many pictures initially as some of the later folks to come along, I'll let you have those three. But you have to share at least one of them with somebody else. image

OK, one more person may request two freebies between #1 and #24...

• Options
    If I pretend to be somebody else, can I request #22 & #23? image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    Thanks LM. I REALLY did mean 14 & 15. I already had the other two.

Anyone know why I can't send PMs? I can receive them, but when I hit 'Reply' it does nothing.
    NMFB ™

• Options
    lordmarcovan,

Thanks they have been shared.
    Bill

• Options
    ClarkOfKent- I have heard of some other people having that problem. Hmmm. I wish I knew what to advise. (For anyone having PM problems, I can always email the pics, I guess). Note also that andale.com sometimes goes down for regularly-scheduled maintenance, usually in the wee hours. When this happens, the pics will not display for a little while, of course.

a2labmom, why would you need to pretend to be somebody else? You are the third and last person on today's "request hour", so you shall have the ones you asked for! "Request hour" is over now, but there will be others. image

Does anybody have all of the first 24 yet? Probably not. All of them should be in circulation by now, though. Some were posted privately, some publicly. (Hint: be sure to check the other coin forums. Also, wacky places like the Open Forum...) image Don't forget to swap amongst yourselves, and bring us in some new players...