Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Feelings about die variety attributed on slab

How do you feel about the die variety attributed on the TPG label? I am mostly thinking about people that collect by die marriage, but everyone’s input would be of interest.

Feelings about die variety attributed on slab

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn’t matter either way

I really don't care since I'm a type collector and have no interest in die marriages. I suppose the presence of a die marriage on a label could result in the coin being more expensive, but most likely a dealer who knows to price such a coin higher also knows to attribute it if the number isn't on the label, so it doesn't really matter.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a must, if I have a coin that’s not attributed I will send it in to have it on the label

Die marriage is more info and more info is good!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

So you would send a common date MS63 Morgan of a common VAM to be attributed even though it will cost $50 to add the information to a $50 coin?

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 11:36AM
    It’s a must, if I have a coin that’s not attributed I will send it in to have it on the label

I voted 'It's a must' because I didn't see 'depends on the coin' as an option. For me, it is a must if the coin has a variety that is worth attributing.

While I'm a variety guy, I have experienced times where the variety attribution on the slab can have a negative effect. The first thing that comes to mind are ultra-common VAMs. I have sold certified attributed examples and certified examples with no attribution, and I always seem to do better with the coins that have no attribution on the holder if the VAM is common.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2021 11:38AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

So you would send a common date MS63 Morgan of a common VAM to be attributed even though it will cost $50 to add the information to a $50 coin?

Like @cmerlo1 says:

@cmerlo1 said:
    I voted 'It's a must' because I didn't see 'depends on the coin' as an option. For me, it is a must if the coin has a variety that is worth attributing.

While I'm a variety guy, I have experienced times where the variety attribution on the slab can have a negative effect. The first thing that comes to mind are ultra-common VAMs. I have sold certified attributed examples and certified examples with no attribution, and I always seem to do better with the coins that have no attribution on the holder if the VAM is common.

If I care about the variety, it should be on the slab.

If I don't care about the variety, it doesn't need to be on the slab.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't fit in any of the 4 responses...

When it is a scarce/ rare die variety it is a must for me to have the correct attribution labeled; otherwise not so much B) ...

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

If I collected it because it was a variety, I would want the variety confirmed/authenticated. Plus, it makes it easier to remember why I collected the coin in the first place.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer that my coins be attributed, but not a big deal either way

I went with "I prefer that my coins be attributed, but not a big deal either way". I would prefer that they are attributed as I am currently pursuing major varieties in a particular series but at this time I do not find it financially sound to send in coins that are not labeled appropriately for the variety. For the more rare varieties, I would certainly reconsider attribution if and when I chose to sell.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

doesn't matter to me as i'm not into that select area of collecting

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't care. The only problem comes if they get it wrong. Then it can result in some refunds and hassles.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

Like @cmerlo1 says:

@cmerlo1 said:

I agree. But that's a little different than "it's a must", isn't it?

• Options
    edited December 31, 2021 12:56PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

Like @cmerlo1 says:

@cmerlo1 said:

I agree. But that's a little different than "it's a must", isn't it?

I don’t make the choices in this poll.

This one fit the best as I generally focus on what I care about :)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either way works for me

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burfle23

Don't fit in any of the 4 responses...When it is a scarce/ rare die variety it is a must for me to have the correct attribution labeled; otherwise not so much B) ...

Although I voted for a preference, there should be another option to attribute rare varieties that have additional rarity value.

A recent auction had some extreme rarities R-6 to R-7 that were not slab attributed or described. It can also make a difference for estates.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's a rare die marriage I like it cited on the cert. And as a practical matter it is sometimes easier to sell when a cert look-up reflects its rarity value.
    Lance.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 1:27PM

I have a number of references and try to attribute everything I can, raw or slabbed. The more info, the better, plus it's a good learning experience IMO. However, I'm OK if it's not printed on the slab. I just add a small sticker with the info.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    I have a number of references and try to attribute everything I can, raw or slabbed. The more info, the better, plus it's a good learning experience IMO. However, I'm OK if it's not printed on the slab. I just add a small sticker with the info.

I also use a small sticker and neatly print the information using a fine point sharpie.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a significant number of variety Buffalo nickels in PCGS and NGC holders that are not attributed, only identified with a hand written sticker on the slab. Since I know what they are there is no need to have them attributed now. When it comes time to sell, that will be a different story.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind the variety listed on the label. I actually kind of like it. But I would prefer that if the coin still used the same coin number as the base instead of getting a new coin number. Reason... the true pop reports can get confusing on pop higher when using the coin lookup by number.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually own a couple of slabbed examples with raw varieties noted on the label and are not...

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given all the other oddball info that's on labels, absolutely! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 8:12PM

@lkeigwin said:
    If it's a rare die marriage I like it cited on the cert. And as a practical matter it is sometimes easier to sell when a cert look-up reflects its rarity value.
    Lance.

The problem with this is that entirely too often the TPGs--all of them--get it wrong.

And it seems to always go in the wrong direction, ie, calling a common R-2 die marriage an R-5--never the other way.

Edit to add: For example, at least 3 of the 17 1827s attributed by PCGS as O-127 are actually 106s. Those are just the ones I've physically seen in hand.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really doesn't matter to me, but with tougher die marriages, if I was a seller, I might send them in for attribution, depending on the rarity and the coin.

What I hate is when they are attributed WRONG. Rather have them off the holder if that's the case.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OKbustchaser said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

The problem with this is that entirely too often the TPGs--all of them--get it wrong.

And it seems to always go in the wrong direction, ie, calling a common R-2 die marriage an R-5--never the other way.

Edit to add: For example, at least 3 of the 17 1827s attributed by PCGS as O-127 are actually 106s. Those are just the ones I've physically seen in hand.

Right. We've seen that often enough. When it's wrong I make sure it is corrected.
    Lance.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t vote because there was no option for “It depends”. For my seated dime variety set, it is critical. For the type set I had, I really didn’t care.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not important to me, but would not bother me if it was done. I know many collectors are interested in this attribute, so it would be great for them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

More information is always better, so long as it is accurate. Even so, the majority of time the information is esoteric.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless the TPG has identified on the label the attribute, I am not interested in adding it into my collection.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ThrindalThrindal Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

I don't consider myself a big collector but I have 2 attributed coins, one is an 1853 50 cent DDR FS801. This coin was very important to me to get attributed, it was given to me by my father raw in a box of coins he had. I also have an 1858 50 Cent Type 2 Reverse WB 110, I could have cared less about that and didn't feel like I paid a premium for it so it is what it is.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2022 2:50PM

You are potentionally leaving money on the table when it comes time to sell. Some dealers that I approached to sell a nonattributed variety would not buy the coin unless it was attributed by a TPG.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn’t matter either way.
    I have several CBH’s that are mis-attributed on the label. If you are going to collect by variety you need to be able to attribute yourself. If you can’t identify the variety yourself and you are interested in varieties than it is time to close your wallet and pick up a few books.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my exact preference for an answer, but the closest of the choices.
    If I'm an attribution collector, then of course it must be on the slab, If not what the difference.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OnWithTheHunt said:
    I have a significant number of variety Buffalo nickels in PCGS and NGC holders that are not attributed, only identified with a hand written sticker on the slab. Since I know what they are there is no need to have them attributed now. When it comes time to sell, that will be a different story.

I agree but when it is time to sell if you state the correct variety anyone looking at the coin who cares about the variety should be able to easily verify your assertion.
    But there are a lot of plastic collectors out there who know very little about what is actually in the slab.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would choose option 5: if it’s an important variety I will add it.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

But it depends if it’s something good or not a big deal.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

some registry sets require varieties on the label

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file