Home U.S. Coin Forum

x

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:

This stupid book didn't prevent you from buying a counterfeit coin and it didn't help you to realize you had a counterfeit coin after you purchased it.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's rich, speaking of stupid from a self-proclaimed expert who has admitted that he doesn't own a 1909-S V.D.B., counterfeit or otherwise.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:
    I happen to like 1931-S pennies a lot, had the opportunity to change my ID, so I did. I have three 1931-S pennies, three 1909-S pennies, one 1914-D penny, and of course, one 1909-S V.D.B.

Not to hijack this fun thread, yet I have always wondered why an AG1931-S cent is much more difficult to locate than one in mint state. @mr1931S ?

peacockcoins

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@mr1931S said:
    I happen to like 1931-S pennies a lot, had the opportunity to change my ID, so I did. I have three 1931-S pennies, three 1909-S pennies, one 1914-D penny, and of course, one 1909-S V.D.B.

Not to hijack this fun thread, yet I have always wondered why an AG1931-S cent is much more difficult to locate than one in mint state. @mr1931S ?

@braddick said:

That information is not covered in the book of Harsche. ;)

@braddick said:

@mr1931S said:

That would be because 1931-S pennies did not circulate very much. All three of my 1931-S pennies are VF or better. My VF '31-S is in my Whitman Classic album, Lincoln cents, 1909-1940.

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@braddick said:

That information is not covered in the book of Harsche. ;)

Harsche does discuss at length how fake 1931-S pennies are made. After all, his book is entitled "Detecting Altered Coins" not a book on why some pennies are seldom to never seen in AG, or the more desirable to some, Fair condition, or better yet, poor.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:

@braddick said:

@mr1931S said:

That would be because 1931-S pennies did not circulate very much. All three of my 1931-S pennies are VF or better. My VF '31-S is in my Whitman Classic album, Lincoln cents, 1909-1940.

So, in conclusion, the 1931-S cent is rarely located in AG because they didn't circulate very much?
    I appreciate your informed conclusion. Now I know why you refer to yourself by the nickname, "Mr. 1931-S"

peacockcoins

I imagine my 1909-S V.D.B. in PCGS F15 as in the condition I would have found it in back in the day, the early '60's, when practically every kid had a Whitman folder for Lincoln pennies, 1909-1940. I would have eaten worms for an S V.D.B. then, long, long ago.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    This thread started off well. Then......

Yes, and I wish that people would stop trying to get it deleted by insisting on having a piffing contest in it!!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@CaptHenway said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    This thread started off well. Then......

Yes, and I wish that people would stop trying to get it deleted by insisting on having a piffing contest in it!!!!!

Unfortunately, the thread got trashed 3 years ago and it's a train wreck now. The original info is awesome, and if I were the OP, I would recreate that portion as a new thread and re-title this one. I'm willing to put in the effort to recreate the thread, giving the OP credit, if the OP wants me to.

@PCGS_Moderator Please close this thread.

It would be nice if you could keep mr1931s from making disruptions in the new re-print of it. ;)

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Unfortunately, the thread got trashed 3 years ago and it's a train wreck now. The original info is awesome, and if I were the OP, I would recreate that portion as a new thread and re-title this one. I'm willing to put in the effort to recreate the thread, giving the OP credit, if the OP wants me to.

New thread posted. ;)
    Wanna take bets on how long it will take mr1931s to trash it too? :/

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

New thread posted. ;)

I hope not, that was some top notch research info. If he does try to trash it, I'll ignore him and save the memes for this thread. You should change this thread title to something like "Mr1874 Goes to Washington" or "Harsche and Popper". Lol

• gorebelsgorebels Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread.

Please do not post.

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

New thread posted. ;)

I hope not, that was some top notch research info. If he does try to trash it, I'll ignore him and save the memes for this thread. You should change this thread title to something like "Mr1874 Goes to Washington" or "Harsche and Popper". Lol

Relax. I have no interest in posting to the new thread.

• CregCreg Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2024 11:20AM

@gorebels said:
    Apologies for resurrecting this old thread.

Just don’t let happen again.

@mr1931S, you and I are brokedick cent savers, we ain’t gonna impress no body here with our copper. However, members do respect us for having coin collections, our presence of mind, and our rational contributions to threads (edit: photography and wit, too).
    Compare the beginning of the thread to the end. How much respect do you garner? I want to respect your seniority, but you hinder yourself. We know you’re a good guy.

Just don’t let it happen again.

I want to respect your seniority, but you hinder yourself. We know you’re a good guy.

Please explain what you mean by wanting to "respect your seniority."

@mr1931S said:

@gorebels said:
    Was this issue ever resolved?

The issue was resolved. The first 1909-S V.D.B. that I ever bought turned out to be an altered coin. A genuine 1909-S cent was used to make the alteration. A V.D.B. had been masterfully acid-etched onto the reverse. I bought the piece already slabbed and it was in my collection for a couple of years. I was researching 1909-S and 1909-S V.D.B. cents using Bert Harsche's "Detecting Altered Coins" and found that the obverse position of the 'S' on my coin did not match up with known 'S' positions for 1909-S V.D.B. cents and it went from there. It is kind of a long story that I won't go into here.

Thanks to IkeT's wonderful overlay work here that established as a fact that a genuine 1909-S cent was used AND the cooperation of the highly ethical dealer I bought the piece from AND PCGS's no BS forever guarantee of authenticity, I got the coin replaced with a genuine 1909-S V.D.B. in the exact same grade as the fake that I had unwittingly bought several years earlier.

Here is my example of 1909-S V.D.B. Lincoln cent for all here to admire...

Thanks for resurrecting this thread gorebels. You have nothing to apologize for.

Advertisement for Twitter? Certainly not coin related. Got S V.D.B.?

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great observation 👍👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
    edited July 19, 2024 10:23AM

@mr1931S said:
    As an aside, I have two 1909 V.D.B. Double Die Obverse pieces. They are both FS-1101. One is a certified ANACS AU 50. The other is a cherry pick I made at a show awhile back. I think it's AU 55 or so, a little nicer than my ANACS 50. Both pieces are reverse Type 2 (deep valley 'N').

The 1909 V.D.B. that I cherrypicked at a show was eventually sold by me to a collector who sent it to PCGS for grading. Came back from them as MS 62 RB, and has a market valuation of a few hundred dollars more than I sold the piece to a fellow collector for.

Lincoln cent collectors, I recommend checking your 1909 V,D.B.'s for doubling on the obverse. It's a neat error that is scarce relative to the population of all 1909 V.D.B.'s. When I go to shows, I check all 1909 V.D.B. pennies offered. 1909 V.D.B. FS-1101 represents the very first DDO Lincoln cent ever made. Be sure to examine any 1909 V.D.B.'s you see with a quality loupe. I use 10x power. The error is best seen at the "1" in the date, The "1" next to another "1" is the first thing to look for in these.

edited July 19, 2024 12:10PM

You should know that readers here expect more than what you been offering lately with the childish memes you been posting. Their only value is as a study of buffoonery.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2024 12:34PM

@mr1931S said:
    You should know that readers here expect more than what you been offering lately with the childish memes you been posting.

No, we don't. :*

Their only value is as a study of buffoonery.

But they're usually pretty funny. :)

Your memes stink. That seems to be common among people who complain about memes and try to retaliate with their own. ;)

@mr1931S said:
    You should know that readers here expect more than what you been offering lately with the childish memes you been posting. Their only value is as a study of buffoonery.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Your memes stink. That seems to be common among people who complain about memes and try to retaliate with their own. ;)

Yep. Kind of a fishy smell, you might say...

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2024 2:46PM

This thread is silly, just like these 22 dancing dudes.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

Man, that COVID crap has really done a number on so many of you. Cognitive problems are going on with lots of people post Covid. I don't think that disinfectant that was sprayed in here earlier is going to be much help with what is ailing you all. But what do I know?

@mr1931S said:
    Man, that COVID crap has really done a number on so many of you. Cognitive problems are going on with lots of people post Covid. I don't think that disinfectant that was sprayed in here earlier is going to be much help with what is ailing you all. But what do I know?

@mr1931S said:

Seems like you are grumpy and need to even out your blood sugar, so I made you a harschepuppy sandwich.

CRHer700 said:

I see 22 dancing dude buffoons.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2024 8:24AM

CRHer700 said:

I see 22 dancing dude buffoons.

I see 22 John Travolta’s from Saturday Night Fever (on speed). 😮

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@IkesT said:

@mr1931S said:

I really like your work with images. Do you, by any chance have a picture of 1909-S V.D.B. 's' positions? It's four close up photos of SVDB's grouped together to show all four of the known 's' positions for 1909-S V.D.B. I have that picture somewhere on my computer just can't find it. I looked on this very thread for it but it was not to be found.

@mr1931S said:
    Do you, by any chance have a picture of 1909-S V.D.B. 's' positions? It's four close up photos of SVDB's grouped together to show all four of the known 's' positions for 1909-S V.D.B. I have that picture somewhere on my computer just can't find it. I looked on this very thread for it but it was not to be found.

You don't need that picture, you have the book of Harsche and according to you that's all a collector needs. ;)

Your memes stink. That seems to be common among people who complain about memes and try to retaliate with their own.

idk I see more value in posting an appropriate quote meme for all to possibly benefit from than posting a meme like this which most assuredly stinks, stinks to high heaven.

• TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

I once owned two 1914-D's. I bought one for just $1 at the coin store. I sold it to my brother. My PCGS VF30 with a green bean will stay in its holder as I bought it. My first 1914-D I bought raw out of a coin store in Denver, Colorado. Really a nice piece, XF. Can't remember why I sold it.I do have some enlarged color pictures of it....somewhere. :|

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

meme
    [mēm]
    noun

an image, video, piece of text, etc., typically humorous in nature, that is copied and spread rapidly by internet users, often with slight variations.

Needless to say, what is funny to one may not at all be funny to others. It can be a fine line to walk when it comes to posting "humor" on the internet so I have learned to be careful with it. ebay chatboards is where I cut my teeth posting in a public forum.

• CregCreg Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2024 10:08AM

@Creg said:
    Compare the beginning of the thread to the end. How much respect do you garner? I want to respect > your seniority, but you hinder yourself. We know you’re a good guy.

I am not as wise as I think.

You can’t spell buffoon without FO.

@mr1931S said:
    Your memes stink. That seems to be common among people who complain about memes and try to retaliate with their own.

idk I see more value in posting an appropriate quote meme for all to possibly benefit from than posting a meme like this which most assuredly stinks, stinks to high heaven.

Well, it was good enough to get a simple minded person to re-post it. ;)

And it seems to have struck a nerve if you think it stinks that bad. :D

That's what I call a win, win. :)

That's what I call a win, win.

Reasonable thinking persons on this forum ask this question,

What did you win?

@Creg said:

@Creg said:
    Compare the beginning of the thread to the end. How much respect do you garner? I want to respect > your seniority, but you hinder yourself. We know you’re a good guy.

I am not as wise as I think.

You can’t spell buffoon without FO.

Well, that's enlightening.

@mr1931S said:
    That's what I call a win, win.

Reasonable thinking persons on this forum ask this question,

What did you win?

And it seems to have struck a nerve if you think it stinks that bad.

Yes, struck my deplorable nerve. Have you figured out what you won yet?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file