Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ron Pope (koynekwest) passed away November 9th, 2021

Comments

• smuglrsmuglr Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭

Sincere condolences to his family and friends. I'm sure his kindness and extensive shared knowledge will keep memories of him alive.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry to hear the news - my condolences to his family. He will be missed. Thanks for letting us know.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • :'(

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad to hear and added condolences to family and friends. Echoing others, thanks to the son coming here to share the legacy of the father.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to his family.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

A regular on this forum for many years and a staple in the numismatic community, Ron will be missed.
    My heartfelt condolences to his family.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

goodness. i thought that post asking if he was MIA was unnecessary since he was posting pretty much, right up until the end. turns out, it was quite apropos!~

i'm certainly going to miss his contributions around here as i'm sure others will on other forums.

between ron and several other members that have passed the past few years, we can really feel the chasm-sized gap they leave behind for the absence of their major and continuous contributions.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad to hear. I appreciated his willingness to share his vast knowledge on this forum. My condolences to his family.

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am very sorry to hear this news. Ron was a friend and I was proud to have sold quite a few of his "Buffalo Nickels - The Abraded Die Varieties" books. He was always willing to share his knowledge which was considerable. As Tommy mentioned, he also was an expert on Washington Quarter varieties, and I was happy to have discussd those coins with him also.

My deepest condolences to his family and many friends.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news indeed. Condolences and warm wishes.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holding on to all the good memories and continue the journey. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rip. My condolences to his family and friends

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had recently sent him some potted Milkweed plants and a bunch of seed as he wanted to have a milkweed patch for the Monarch Butterflies. Here's to God putting him in charge of Heaven's Milkweed Patches to look over the Monarchs!!!!!!!!!!!!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is indeed sad to hear of his passing, but his memory will live on not only among us forum members but through the dedicated work he put into his books.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Very sad to hear. He was a great source of knowledge. Thoughts to the family.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

For crying out loud. I didn't know he was ill. I only knew him here but I enjoyed his posts. Best wishes and prayers to the family. I'm so sorry.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

This news comes as a shock, as Ron was such a regular contributor here. I always looked forward to his posts, which showed his deep knowledge of buffalo nickels, and his eagerness to share that knowledge. I'm sorry that I'll never have a chance to meet him. Sincere condolences to his family and friends, RIP Ron.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad, He was friendly and very knowledgeable.

Collector, occasional seller

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2021 9:20PM

Sad news. We had some fun private messages about or shared love of Boston Terriers and what a wonderful breed they are. I think I saw here recently that he may have added one to his pack, which made me happy to see. I will definitely miss Koynekwest. :/

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m very sorry to hear this, my condolences

Mr_Spud

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear this. My prayers go out to his family and friends. I will really miss his participation here. He was a good board member.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad news. Condolences to family and friends. RickO

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2021 6:05AM

Condolences to his family. Thank goodness he left a wonderful legacy and his work will be a benefit to so many folks 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to his family and friends. I only knew him from here on the boards, and due to my lack of interest in nickels, what I remember most is his knowledge and interest in the Pan American Exposition medals, etc.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest in Peace Ron. I enjoyed your posts. My condolences to your friends and family.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

One heck of a guy, he will be missed.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

My latest inquiry of Ron on Oct 23rd.
    2 feather buffs:

I can give you a general idea, as follows. Rarest first. These are for the "true" 2 feather varieties only. Some in the middle of the list may be interchangeable.

01 1923
    02 1915-D
    03 1916-S
    04 1926-D
    05 1913-S Var 1
    06 1930-S
    07 1929-S
    08 1915
    09 1917
    10 1918
    11 1920
    12 1919
    13 1913-D Var 1
    14 1921-S
    15 1917-S
    16 1920-S
    17 1918-s
    18 1925-S
    19 1921
    20 1916

RIP my friend.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear this. Koynekwest was always a great poster on any subject he chose to post and especially with buffalos.

My condolences to all who knew him personally.

RIP.

Tempus fugit.
  • The post about the Monarch butterflies got to me. A kindred spirit. Peace

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have access to or a copy of Ron's Obituary? Just PM me if you would.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really sad news. I never knew him personally but sure felt like I did with him insight and enthusiasm.

RIP sir.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2021 5:38PM

I feel blessed to have called Ron a friend! I have already given his family my condolences, but will share this with you all who knew and loved Ron.
    Two very important things to Ron coins, and his pups! He and I shared many messages esspecially while I was on the mends from surgery.
    The top 2 topics coins....and our pups! Both present and Past.....but I told Tim Pope I close my eyes and see Ron walking through the gates....met by wagging tails....excited to see Ron and share eternity together. RIP my friend ....God Bless the Pope family with great memories of a really sweet and giving person.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am proud of this forum for the pouring of love and kinship for Ron. I think Tim and his family will be pleased to know this existed on the forum for Ron. Great forum with great members.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was very knowledgeable not only about Buffalo nickels but other series as well.
    He will he missed.
    A patient man who enjoyed learning and sharing.
    Sad sad news.
    RIP, Ron.

• ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad news, and condolences to the family. Ron was a mentor of sorts, Spurring my interests in buffalo varieties. Always gracious with his time and information, a true good guy in the hobby. While we never met in person, I still feel that my collecting experience will still be missing a kindred soul.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible news. While I never talked with him in person, I appreciated everything he contributed here and to our hobby overall.

May he rest in peace, and may his friends and family find comfort in the fact he was treasured here too.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news. My condolences to friends here and elsewhere, as well as to his family.

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to family and friends!!! RIP.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t know him personally, but he was a valuable member of this community. I’m very sorry to hear this. :(

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad to hear this. We had some good private conversations. I do say thou it took me a long time to figure out that he wasn't Konye West.

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to his family & all who knew him.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news. I always enjoyed his posts.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    [ Very sad to hear this. We had some good private conversations. I do say thou it took me a long time to figure out that he wasn't Konye West.]

I thought that for awhile but then I read his ID - "koynekwest " - it just popped in front of me one day as "koynekwest " = "coin quest" - what say you?
    Damn Ron, you had us guessing to the end - What a great guy!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2021 9:50PM

Koynekwest will be missed by all. I was always honored when he gave me a like or an agree on a post here. Coming from him really meant something.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the beginning I thought he was from Florida.

His handle looked like it meant "Coin Key West".

True.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

This terrible news. RIP Ron

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file