Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who is interested in the 2021 silver proof set being offered 10/1?

originalsandmanoriginalsandman Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2021 7:23AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am sorry if there's already a thread about this, but wondering at the price of $235, if this is worth it? Seems a bit high to me.

Comments

• Options

@TurtleCat said:
    I thought about it but I’ve decided not to. It’s a high price for silver and nothing really unique or special about it as it’s just a new assemblage of already-available-elsewhere items.

yeah, that's kind of what I've been thinking, but haven't heard much pro or against, so thought I would ask. Thanks!

• Options

Sorry, its been a long week lol. Yes, Friday!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard pass. Just like the (new) SF ase emergency issues 1,000,000

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... about $170 over spot....Expensive silver and nothing really special there. Cheers, RickO

• Options

yeah thats what i was thinking. what makes this so special to demand a price like that?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint charged $115 for the regular silver Proof set. This set contains the the same silver coins plus two silver eagles. That means you are getting them for just $120 more, if you view the Proof cent and nickel as “junk.”

Didn’t the Proof ASEs sell out? The mint sells so many varieties of “stuff” these days, I can’t keep up with it. I’d like get a Proof type II ASE some day, but you have to pay high prices and jump through hoops.

The “mint games” are really taking all of the fun you get from collecting these coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The mint charged $115 for the regular silver Proof set. This set contains the the same silver coins plus two silver eagles. That means you are getting them for just $120 more, if you view the Proof cent and nickel as “junk.”

Didn’t the Proof ASEs sell out? The mint sells so many varieties of “stuff” these days, I can’t keep up with it. I’d like get a Proof type II ASE some day, but you have to pay high prices and jump through hoops.

The “mint games” are really taking all of the fun you get from collecting these coins.

Mmmm, I must have gotten a discount & paid $105 for the silver proof set ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not interested in any of the mint's offerings.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

I think i will buy it. I want the two proof ASEs and a silver crossing the Delaware quarter. But ill look at what they are going for on their own individually. Anyone have any idea?

• Options
    edited September 30, 2021 7:12AM

@d9lowe said:
    I think i will buy it. I want the two proof ASEs and a silver crossing the Delaware quarter. But ill look at what they are going for on their own individually. Anyone have any idea?

eBay sold prices and there’s several more. Google? Good luck ngc and pcgs have a lot of information available

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

bought a set today, similar purchasing issues at noon, but managed to have the order confirmed. 50,000 limit. 2 ASE's $235, we'll see if it was a wise purchase or not.

• Options
    RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2021 3:13PM

@bramn8r said:
    we'll see if it was a wise purchase or not.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Passing on this set as with the other countless 2021 Silver Eagles.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i believe only one of these sets ever appreciated and that was when the issue price was 160

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

1083 sets are left now.....should sell out this weekend.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    i believe only one of these sets ever appreciated and that was when the issue price was 160

There was also an eagle not available elsewhere, wasn't there?

• Options

2017 ase S proof Congratulations set 75,000 limited edition set 50,000 give or take

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if you bought the 2 proofs when they were available from the mint they were $73 each so that's $146 right there. that leaves the other 4 coins for $22.50 each. The Kennedy is selling on eBay (raw) for an average of around $50. so leaves the 2 quarters and the dime at a price of $13 each (which I haven't looked up yet) - so bullion wise it's obviously not a good deal - but numismatically I don't see a problem.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited October 1, 2021 4:57PM

Should 'sellout' by midnight.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be back on sale in a few weeks

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2021 7:08PM

@Goldbully said:

Just checked an hour ago and it said "This product is currently unavailable" .

• Options

@vulcanize said:

@Goldbully said:

Just checked an hour ago and it said "This product is currently unavailable" .

Yep , gone - no weekend specials I guess..............

• Options

Well that’s good news. I hope those who wanted one got one. Any that show up Sunday morning should no HHL. 😉

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was available a minute ago.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Larrob37Larrob37 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I just tried it and it said i had reached my house hold limit. I bought one yesterday.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Larrob37 said:
    I just tried it and it said i had reached my house hold limit. I bought one yesterday.

household limit is still at one.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

HH order limit removed, someone bought 1,500 of them

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@jessewvu said:

?👀

• Options

Someone bought 1500 sets??? Hope they can sell them all.

• Options
    edited October 2, 2021 11:03AM

Where did they get the extra 417 sets ?😂

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received this:

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was available this morning. I was mostly interested in the “availablecount” metric. It was bouncing all over the place, up down, and all around. What’s up with that.

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    Was available this morning. I was mostly interested in the “availablecount” metric. It was bouncing all over the place, up down, and all around. What’s up with that.

My orders from this morning were cancelled by afternoon. Looks like they didn't have a real handle on inventory. Again.

• Options

@jigri said:

@jessewvu said:

My orders from this morning were cancelled by afternoon. Looks like they didn't have a real handle on inventory. Again.

Keep trying at 7:30 am east. You’ll get one

• Options

@jessewvu said:

Well if they can sell all of them for even just a $50 profit per set then that's a cool $75,000 they otherwise would never of had.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@jigri said:

@jessewvu said:

I picked one up this morning around 7:45 that got confirmed before 8:30. It went OOS shortly after 7:45.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options

@jshaulis said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@jigri said:

@jessewvu said:

I picked one up this morning around 7:45 that got confirmed before 8:30. It went OOS shortly after 7:45.

Interesting they messed with the time before. Ok Start at 7:30 am est refresh as needed.

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@jshaulis said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@jigri said:

@jessewvu said:

Interesting they messed with the time before. Ok Start at 7:30 am est refresh as needed.

I just happened to stumble upon it, so not sure if it was available earlier or not.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options

I’ve got some time I’ll check it from Mtn. Time zone in the morning. Good night 😴

• Options
    edited October 6, 2021 4:38AM

Its up. +7 minutes still up

• Options

feed frenzy!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

just kidding

• Options

still up

• Options

+15 still up

• Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

Wonder why they didn't put household limit back in place for these like they did on other recent issues.

• Options
    edited October 6, 2021 4:50AM

I’ve never noticed them re-install a HHL. 🤔

• Options

flipping crowd not aware of this sets (not) hotness

still up

and I predict these will be up in a few weeks as flippers do returns

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file