Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New to Collecting!! Looking for Coins

Looking to buy old coin collections But not sure where to look?!?!

Help me please and it is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Can you be a little more specific? An old coin collection is pretty vague.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying old collections as a non-dealer is very difficult. Your best bet is to pursue as many estate auctions as you can. It all depends on what you’re trying to accomplish.

• Options

I am looking to pick up the collections form people that don't want them and just start my own collection. Very new to this so not sure how to go about it

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best recommendation is to buy a Guidebook of US Coins (Red Book) and start learning there. That will get you very far at very little cost. Then spend time on this forum and learn from those who know here. The last step will be going to coin shows and online market places.

If you do it in that order you’ll minimize some of the heartbreak you will experience if you go out of that order… I get the desire to just acquire (hey, we are all Ferengis) but it is best to slow down some and learn first.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you know a lot about what you are buying you are just asking for trouble. Coin collecting is a very mature hobby. A new participant is likely to attract interest from sellers with questionable ethical standards. Buyer beware!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

going to estate sales and little auctions can be dangerous without knowing the value of something and what a counterfeit is like.

build relationships with local coin stores and coin clubs. perhaps you can get their cast offs

what type of coins do you like?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why?, and coin collections covers a lot of territory.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do a lot of reading. Look at a lot of coins. Buy some books. Learn how to grade. If you want to buy slabbed coins, get a reasonably good idea of PCGS and NGC current grading standards. If you want to buy coin not in such slab, learn how to spot problem coins. Ask lots of questions to people (like those on this form) who are willing to answer them.

This is an unforgiving hobby for the uninitiated.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to a local dealer. You can learn a lot there. And get a price on a coin.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

First, what will your focus be? What kind of coins, what grade? Will you focus on one series, or one time frame? Generally collectors start their collections one coin at a time. Everyone's interests are different, it would be highly unlikely to buy an entire collection from someone else that would fit you.

• Options

and besides knowing what counterfeits look like, know what cleaned, damaged and corroded ones look like

you can always ask more questions here.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not a collection. That's an accumulation.

thefinn
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2021 4:16PM

@TeacherCollector said:
    Looking to buy old coin collections

Most people > @TeacherCollector said:

I am looking to pick up the collections form people that don't want them and just start my own collection. Very new to this so not sure how to go about it

Do not go after large lots.

Learn what a 7070 US Coin Type set is. Go after the coins one at a time and post each coin as you buy them and learn from the coin and our responses.

Start with the very inexpensive coins first as you need to learn. Some of the coins in the set are only few dollars. Others are in the thousands. A very informative set that will give you direction as to where you want to go.

Welcome and good luck :)

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @TeacherCollector.

I responded with a post only the late great @Russ would have done.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankH said:
    Go to a local dealer. You can learn a lot there. And get a price on a coin.

I agree with this. Start out slow. Go to a coin store in your area, and look around to see what coins you like, and what you can afford. Start out slow. Buy one coin at a time. Do not make big purchases until you gain more knowledge, and feel comfortable with your decisions. Research the coins that you are interested in, and what a fair price would be. You will be much more satisfied accumulating your coins slowly and carefully, as opposed to buying a large collection all at once. In the end, you will have a much more pleasing collection. But the first thing you must know is "Never, ever, ever clean your coins". :)

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

Before you do anything, buy a Red Book!! Search on Amazon. Do it now before buying or even looking at any coins!!!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent cause I didn't have to read all the above comments. Welcome to our clubhouse. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS has several grading videos on YouTube that will give you perspective. Utilize CoinFacts for lots of great info and pictures of coins at various grade levels.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TeacherCollector said:
    Looking to buy old coin collections But not sure where to look?!?!

Help me please and it is much appreciated :)

What sparked your interest?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

No offense, but if I knew of any coin collections for sale, you would be the last person that I would inform of it. If you are new, buying entire collections guarantees that either you will overpay or you will underpay. Being able to properly value a collection requires experience and knowledge.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TeacherCollector ... Welcome aboard. There is a lot of good advice above. Coin collecting is an interesting hobby. It covers history, art (designs), precious and non-precious metals, series, mints and condition of coins. There is much to learn, but go slowly and have fun. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    No offense, but if I knew of any coin collections for sale, you would be the last person that I would inform of it. If you are new, buying entire collections guarantees that either you will overpay or you will underpay. Being able to properly value a collection requires experience and knowledge.

that sounds good to me!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you’re new to collecting, buying collections is one of the last things you should be doing.
    Among the essential to-do list items prior to that are: Learn about different types of coins, including their history, degree of scarcity and availability, market conditions, values and grading; which types and quality of coins you’re drawn to and buy one coin at a time; PATIENCE; trustworthy sources for coins; counterfeits; consider your coin buying budget; understand that there’s a good chance you’ll overpay and/or lose money when it comes time to sell and (again) PATIENCE.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of good advice here. Buy some reference books including "Coin Collecting for Dummies" which is actually a pretty good book that cover coins and how to collect them. It's an easy read and has a lot of pictures and charts. Also, if there is a local coin club, I suggest that you join.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was getting started as a collector, circa 1963, I bought coins from my mother's cleaning lady. She had a family hoard. I didn't know anything about grading, and the only reference I had was the Red Book, which is a retail guide. I over paid and sometimes under paid. It all kind of averaged out.

When I was in high school, I bought 1911 quarter eagle and a 1913 half eagle from one of my class mates for $60. Word of that got around, and it started a "collector boom" in my school. By then I had had some additional experience.

If you are just staring out, it's almost impossible to buy coins at the true market prices. You just don't know enough about grading, counterfeits (a much bigger problem now than when I was young), and coins have been damaged, cleaned or altered.

You really need to get a scope of what you want to collect or buy or sell. Even experienced dealers involve themselves in defined areas. Most of them don't buy and sell everything. No one can be an expert in everything, at least I can't do that.

Your model of buying coins from private people is a hard road. A lot of those accumulations have been bought up now. It's just not that easy to find those types of accumulations any more. When I was a dealer, over a 13 year period, I ran into maybe six or sever of those deals. It's just not that common.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Research, research and then research some more.
    Knowledge is power.
    Raw coins have many counterfeits, altered and cleaned items. Learn to recognize them.
    I recommend that you might try to start your collection by going after slabbed coins by the top grading services like Pcgs or NGC.
    Best of luck and also "welcome aboard".
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

My first impression of the OP was to the effect of 'tell me where I can find people who don't want their coin collections, so I can buy them cheap'. The responses have (as usual) been practical and professional.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@jmlanzaf said:

that sounds good to me!

Unless you’re the seller

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

My first impression of the OP was to the effect of 'tell me where I can find people who don't want their coin collections, so I can buy them cheap'. The responses have (as usual) been practical and professional.

Yes, I got the same feeling. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't end up overpaying. Until you are old and jaded, things sometimes seem scarcer than they are just because you haven't seen them. Easy example is an SVDB cent. Walk even a small coin show and you'll probably see a dozen or more. But some people think that's a rare coin. Now, you can't excite me about an SVDB in anything under 66red.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file