Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone ever seen a strike like this on a 1915 buffalo nickel, a real monster to say the least.

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please comment on the strike of this coin, I have never seen 1915 struck like this one!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing!
    Yes a monster strike

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk about a full strike. Details galore. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely well struck.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an amazing Buff nickel.... Incredible strike. Would love to have that one in my herd. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although David Lange says that "1915(P) nickels are among the most sharply struck coins in the series." I have never seen one as sharply struck as this one. Perhaps a used proof die struck this coin. That is a truly special coin in my opinion. Congrats on a great addition to your collection. Thank you for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bid some on that, but decided probably altered surface as even the rim is mottled. Did you get it and thinking proof?

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude said:
    Correct 1915 are hammered buffalos ...however this seller "buyer beware!" Its a known fact that this seller buys problem coins at shows ,and doctors images. I have had several friends burned!
    I returned a cleaned 37 D 3 legger to them years ago.
    My take its a crap shoot...you may get lucky ....you may get crap! Pass 12 negative 27 neutral feed back....need I say more?

THIS!!!🤔

Ken
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I've ever seen a more detailed picture.

Note that I said PICTURE.

Perfect!

Just like Nomad told Kirk: "The creation of perfection is no error".

I wish I had the words........................................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I've never saw so much detail on the Feathers, Hair, or Braid on the Obverse and likewise on the Reverse even on Proofs it must be an Enhanced Photo IMO. Sad if it is Buyers Beware you get what you pay for!!!

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew that date comes sharp, but not like that. Could even be the lighting accentuating it. Like others have already said, buyer beware.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin but use caution

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the pictures, I would buy it.
    From the good comments on here, I would not.
    Another lesson as why I need to do more research before buying or bidding on a coin.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a coin thats the image has been juiced darker there are numerous carbon spots on both the obv.and rev.
    If you never had to deal with carbon spots yes you can soak the coin they will turn brown from black ,and over time come back even larger.
    Years ago I sent a buffalo raw into a TPG it was a 36 s/s beatiful coin not a spot on it and over time the spots surfaced and stayed.
    As Ron a buffalo expert about this coin....I bet he wouldn't give it a second look...
    As a nickel collector I can assure these spots on a coin kills its value. A many a nickel that looked good in a case when examining in hand Ive passed on due to just 1 spot.....if theres 1 theres more to come.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not had good luck with this seller

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2021 11:29AM

Beautiful

It almost looks like a a Dan Carr special tribute coin! <3B)
    Looks like it was just made today.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now if you think carbon spots cant get worse .....take a look they are still coming to the surface over the dome.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know how this less than honest seller can manipulate an image to show a strike like that but I think that's what's been done here.

I have seen a 1913-D Var 1, a 1914-S, a 1915-S, and a 1916-S struck like that, tho.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had good luck with GSC, buying PCGS items.

Vplite99
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always heard that their pictures are enhanced (somehow) - but even with a little "juicing" that still has to be a pretty well struck Buffalo.......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited August 27, 2021 3:05PM

@crazyhounddog said:
    I wouldn’t buy anything this seller offers. They are well know for selling problem coins.
    That’s a fact.

I once bought a 1913 ty.1 buff so-called "gem unc" from them that pcgs graded proof-64 and....
    I once bought a 1915 buff so-called "gem unc" from them that pcgs graded proof-64 and....
    last but not least a 1916 buff so-called "gem unc" from the same guys that pcgs graded proof-65.

And I do believe that they juice some of their pics. Will give my opinion on this coin when it arrives.

Strike so sharp on this one it reminds me of the 1921 buffalo that was struck from a unique obverse die that
    was heavily re-engraved to make the central details more sharp. Even now you can tell the date of a dateless
    1921 buffalo nickel just by looking at the central obverse details. I picked up a nice dateless 21s once like this.

And then in 1923 the mint went back to the same obverse die they were using in 1920 so it left the 21 as sort of
    a unique type, though not collected as such.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

you might have made a big score, or paid a couple hundred too much
    I did notice the following in Legends upcoming sale, and see similarities ... (apologies to all going to bid on Legends)

https://hibid.com/lot/97055232/5c-1913-type-1--pcgs-pr68-cac/?q=&g=all-categories&ipp=100&ref=catalog

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2021 4:26PM

@koynekwest said:
    I don't know how this less than honest seller can manipulate an image to show a strike like that but I think that's what's been done here.

I have seen a 1913-D Var 1, a 1914-S, a 1915-S, and a 1916-S struck like that, tho.

I know exactly how they do it. They use one single light at 12:00 . This will cast hard shadows over the coin and then, presto, Voilà You have a coin that looks way better struck than it really is. It’s an old trick and GSC uses it exclusively. I’ll stand by this statement as fact.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I see a fifth leg!

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

The image may have had contrast enhancement and other processing, but that is not going to increase the design details. So it is definitely a very strong strike from fresh dies.

The surfaces look a bit shiny, and I would guess that it has been subjected to some cleaning and/or burnishing.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look forward to your pics of this coin. If they are anywhere near comparable to these photos, then you got a heckuva coin. Can't wait until you receive it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Be sure to let us know what you have.

• Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Great job with the digital editing software. Shading the various details makes this look like a proof coin! This coin must look completely different in hand.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this the same dealer that sells gold coins and shows a beautiful example with Random Year stamped over the date?

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buffnixx can pick with the best of ‘em. Subscribed

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2021 9:35AM

@CaptHenway said:
    (Spidey senses tingling)

I'd like to see close-ups of two details that I'm not going to get to see. I just checked several HA Archive images of proofs to retune my memory banks.
    The lighting (or adjustments to it) may be creating shadowy depths where there are none, but the detail matches up with nothing I can imagine for a business strike. Proof or WTF? :o

@dcarr said:
    The image may have had contrast enhancement and other processing, but that is not going to increase the design details. So it is definitely a very strong strike from fresh dies.

The surfaces look a bit shiny, and I would guess that it has been subjected to some cleaning and/or burnishing.

Yup :)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2021 11:17AM

@ColonelJessup said:

@CaptHenway said:
    (Spidey senses tingling)

I'd like to see close-ups of two details that I'm not going to get to see. I just checked several HA Archive images of proofs to retune my memory banks.
    The lighting (or adjustments to it) may be creating shadowy depths where there are none, but the detail matches up with nothing I can imagine for a business strike. Proof or WTF? :o

@dcarr said:

The coin shows signs of cleaning. That’s on top of the trick photography to make this coin look better than it is, it’s been cleaned. It also might be AU. I see whispers of rub on the hipbone and flank area and then look at the Bisons ear. It’s awfully flat. This is another area to look for wear or rub. The coin is not a proof coin. The rims are nowhere near as sharp as they should be inside and out. Many buffalo nickels from this year were stuck with proof dies. This is a fact. This Buff looks like it was one of the earlier strikes from the proof dies.
    I see it as an AU business strike coin that has been cleaned.
    Good luck

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2021 12:38PM

@crazyhounddog said:

@ColonelJessup said:

@CaptHenway said:
    (Spidey senses tingling)

@dcarr said:

The coin shows signs of cleaning. That’s on top of the trick photography to make this coin look better than it is, it’s been cleaned. It also might be AU. I see whispers of rub on the hipbone and flank area and then look at the Bisons ear. It’s awfully flat. This is another area to look for wear or rub. The coin is not a proof coin. The rims are nowhere near as sharp as they should be inside and out. Many buffalo nickels from this year were stuck with proof dies. This is a fact. This Buff looks like it was one of the earlier strikes from the proof dies.
    I see it as an AU business strike coin that has been cleaned.
    Good luck

I wouldn't argue with cleaning. Just not relevant except in ways it might change reflectivity or obscure die markers.
    I also see the color changes you interpret as rub, and I concur. Again, not the issue (as it's evolved)

What are your diagnostics for proof dies?

Find me an MS coin from the Heritage Archives either with those die markers or that strike.

This surely IS a trap >:)

Hopefully not for me. @CaptHenway and I know the die markers for this particular date quite well :p

I've done this work 40+ years. If you want to contradict me, post a picture that proves me wrong. 1915 MS holder with that strike!! Les joue sont fait Otherwise, get off my lawn. :s

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2021 12:22PM

.deleted

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impaired matte proof?

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Danger, Danger Will Robinson !

• Options
    edited August 28, 2021 4:48PM

Kind of reminds me of the 1921 obverse die which was only used for this one year. Deeply engraved central obverse details.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2021 4:16PM

The obverse details of the 1921 above the "knot" and the date numerals, especially the two "1s" are unique to this year.

Here are images from my book on the striking characteristics of the series first published in 2006-

Serifs on the ones. Different shapes on the "9" and "2."

No serifs on the ones-

Totally different braid detail-1921

Braid detail-1913-1920 and 1923-1938.

The difference can be seen even in the macro photos. I, too, have cherried several 1921-S dateless and coins with a very weak date using this feature alone.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2021 4:42PM

Another detail difference occurred midway thru the series when the relation of the date to the final digit of the date and the braid ribbon was changed, as part of the reworking of the obverse master die in 1926. Note how the last digit lies next to the ribbon in 1925 and on top of the ribbon in 1926. This holds true for all the post 1925 dates except the 1931-S and the 1935.

• Options

So no one has anything else to say about the 1915 nickel, right? >:)

• Options

OK -- here is a toner 1938d buffalo which I got from same seller as the above 1915 nickel and guess what, there is
    no nice toning on the coin at all. So I do not have such high hopes for this 1915 which is on the way. This 1938d
    must have had its image altered in some way. But why mess around with a 1938-d buff?

@ColonelJessup said:
    So no one has anything else to say about the 1915 nickel, right? >:)

(see my comments above in this posting)

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1915 seems to show the die line on the rev rim at about 8 that is associated with proofs... I think.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2021 5:33PM

If you can see that line ... from about 7:45 to 8:30, that is the more easily seen of the two diagnostics. Perhaps you thunk rightly ;) ...
    Can you get a close-up of the top half of the "D" in "UNITED"?. There is a small triangular die-chip coming almost straight out the back of the letter at the very top. Tilts very slight up.

Proof, altered surfaces.

That would be happy B)

• Options
    edited August 29, 2021 5:32PM

@kaz said:
    The 1915 seems to show the die line on the rev rim at about 8 that is associated with proofs... I think.

I think a few business strikes also show that line due to the use of a proof die to strike coins for circulation once it was unsuitable for striking more proofs. I also think this line is seen on several dates, not just the 1915. It would also seem to me if proof dies were, indeed, used to strike circulation coins that die markers would be of limited use to identify proofs.

There are other ways to identify proofs.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked for the die line on the reverse rim and could not see it. There seems to be some sort of damage on the rim.

FWIW, I have never seen the die line in question on a non-Proof strike, though I would not rule out the possibility that an occasional rejected Proof might have been released among business strikes.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

This coin will be in my mail tomorrow afternoon.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file