Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone ever seen a strike like this on a 1915 buffalo nickel, a real monster to say the least.

Comments

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2021 9:00PM

But we all can still keep this pictures which are awesome!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2021 7:02AM

WELL GUESS WHAT!!
    THIS ONE IS BACK ON EBAY NOW. IF YOU WANT TO TAKE A LOOK AT THE ACTION IT IS AUCTION NUMBER 294395186716
    YOU CAN COPY AND PASTE THIS NUMBER INTO THE EBAY SEARCH LINE FROM ANYWHERE WITHIN EBAY AND IT WILL TAKE YOU RIGHT TO THAT AUCTION NUMBER. PROBABLY MOST OF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THIS. FIRST TIME WHEN I GOT IT
    IT WENT FOR $368 OR THEREABOUTS.

JUST STARTED RECENTLY AND NOW IT STANDS AT $16.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

@jtlee321 said:
    The detail between the two is pretty striking.

Pun intended?

Young Numismatist

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jtlee321 said:
    I think that GSC uses axial lighting to "enhance" the detail in the strike. Here is an example of a 1913 T1 Buffalo shot with a single light from around the 1 o'clock position at about 45 degrees or so. I know it's a different Type altogether, but it was the only raw Buffalo I had with decent details.

Here is the same coin shot using a single diffused light in an axial setup. I enhanced the contrast and sharpened the image and reduced to a smallish 625px x 625px image. The detail between the two is pretty striking. The rims start to develop a sharper look and LIBERTY starts to look more defined. The right field in front of the face is dark, just like in the GSC image.

What do you think @crazyhounddog

Amazing the difference. Especially the LIBERTY. Looks completely different.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure GSC knows exactly what they're doing.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok you guys with your photography experiments is super interesting. Impressive intellectual curiosity

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:
    I got my refund today. All of it.

But you don’t return them when you do get a proof :/ just sayin

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:

@jtlee321 said:
    I think that GSC uses axial lighting to "enhance" the detail in the strike. Here is an example of a 1913 T1 Buffalo shot with a single light from around the 1 o'clock position at about 45 degrees or so. I know it's a different Type altogether, but it was the only raw Buffalo I had with decent details.

Here is the same coin shot using a single diffused light in an axial setup. I enhanced the contrast and sharpened the image and reduced to a smallish 625px x 625px image. The detail between the two is pretty striking. The rims start to develop a sharper look and LIBERTY starts to look more defined. The right field in front of the face is dark, just like in the GSC image.

Jim

Like I may have mentioned somewhere in this long legged thread I think they use some sort of overlay in editing. With my experience with photography I have no other way to explain away the blocky lettering nor the details the sellers shows in this coin that are not there. It looks nothing at all comparing the coin in the listing to the coin, Tom received. Miles away. The lettering itself looks like two different coins but apparently, somehow, they are the same. I’m just guessing when I say I think they used some kind of image overlaying. How other way can you add detail to a coin that don’t exist ? As others have mentioned I think they have gone way beyond the call of duty here with their pics. Just my opinion is all.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog
    You are most likely right, there is definitely some improvement procedure being used. I just cannot understand why they would do it and why anyone would accept it, thus the futility of such an effort. I would never buy from them and that's just my opinion.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@Crypto said:

@BUFFNIXX said:
    I got my refund today. All of it.

But you don’t return them when you do get a proof :/ just sayin

At no time did I think this was a proof, just a monster business strike.
    It turned out that I was half right.
    It was a monster.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2021 7:17AM

This item is now up to $96 and 22 bids on ebay.
    Auction number is 294395186716

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

$107.50 and 25 bids

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:
    $107.50 and 25 bids

Actually that's not too surprising with pictures like that........just wait till the winning bidder gets the coin in hand.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@crazyhounddog said:

@jesbroken said:

@jtlee321 said:

Jim

Like I may have mentioned somewhere in this long legged thread I think they use some sort of overlay in editing. With my experience with photography I have no other way to explain away the blocky lettering nor the details the sellers shows in this coin that are not there. It looks nothing at all comparing the coin in the listing to the coin, Tom received. Miles away. The lettering itself looks like two different coins but apparently, somehow, they are the same. I’m just guessing when I say I think they used some kind of image overlaying. How other way can you add detail to a coin that don’t exist ? As others have mentioned I think they have gone way beyond the call of duty here with their pics. Just my opinion is all.

I find that very plausible, Joe.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coins was hit so hard you may want to check it for a concussion.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

if the coin turns out to be truly pictured ( many are not)
    it would go in my box of 20 cleaned or not , as a special coin.
    I have a few monster strikes and great eye appeal coins in there now.

• Options

@krueger said:
    if the coin turns out to be truly pictured ( many are not)
    it would go in my box of 20 cleaned or not , as a special coin.
    I have a few monster strikes and great eye appeal coins in there now.

See page 2 to see what was delivered.

• Options
    edited September 16, 2021 6:05PM

$296.00 Sep-13 20:05 38 bids
    4 days and 2 hours left.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know he noodled that thing, right?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their pictures could make Jackie Gleason look like Mr. Universe.

They bought an Unc. details 1921 Peace dollar from me a few months ago, I'm sure they doubled their money, it had great detail but a couple hits.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

bidding getting close to last months close with 3 days left

• Options

I wonder how much of that is shill bidding.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2021 7:51PM

now up to $326 and 39 bidiots

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭

These photos make me wonder about that WLH that auctioned overseas years back. that had that unbelievable strike. I though that coin to be counterfeit now after seeing this coin extremely enhanced with photo skills I’m not to sure. Now I suspect that half might be the work of photography. Although they were the auction house pictures
    Any thoughts

Martin

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Martin said:
    These photos make me wonder about that WLH that auctioned overseas years back. that had that unbelievable strike. I though that coin to be counterfeit now after seeing this coin extremely enhanced with photo skills I’m not to sure. Now I suspect that half might be the work of photography. Although they were the auction house pictures
    Any thoughts

Martin

It did indeed have that look.

• Options
    edited September 18, 2021 6:30AM

@BUFFNIXX said:
    now up to $326 and 39 idiots

Now it is at $326 but 40 bids. The high bidiot has bid three straight times to increase his chances of getting this gem.
    Would like to be the proverbial “fly on the wall” when he gets it!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

That's a sign of a shill. I believe that seller is known to use shilling extensively. Of course, ebay looks the other way with the big sellers such as this one.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1933-S that was thrashed around previous to the Buff in this thread.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Looks like the same technique to me.

• Options

@BUFFNIXX said:

@BUFFNIXX said:
    now up to $326 and 39 idiots

Now it is at $326 but 40 bids. The high bidiot has bid three straight times to increase his chances of getting this gem.
    Would like to be the proverbial “fly on the wall” when he gets it!

I think the bidiot knows exactly what they are doing, with 80% of their bid activity with this seller.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Martin said:
    Any thoughts

Martin

It did indeed have that look.

I don’t think that coin’s appearance was due to anything resembling the type of manipulation being discussed here. It was offered by an auction house and if I recall correctly, with little or no fanfare.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

I think the bidiot knows exactly what they are doing, with 80% of their bid activity with this seller.

That's another sure sign of a shill.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2021 9:45PM

@BUFFNIXX said:
    now up to $326 and 39 bidiots

Pot, meet kettle. >:)

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited September 20, 2021 4:48AM

Update for Monday morning.
    $336.00
    41 bids
    15 plus hour to go in the auction action.
    getting real interesting.
    (It went for $368 or so the first time.)

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

$396 with 43 minutes left

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

$765.85 final prioce........

Just wish that @BUFFNIX had sent coin to PCGS for Express grading with True View. Still would have had time for a return.

OINK

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the OP did Great Southern a favor by returning the coin...

• Options

If the bidiot "winner" is wise he/she will return it, too. Hopefully they realize it ain't what they thought it was before the return period expires.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2021 8:51PM

As long as eBay and the seller/sellers are making money it’s all good. Nothing will be done just like that other guy selling “So called brilliant uncirculated coins” out of rolls that he has an endless supply of, it’ll never stop. Unfortunately by time the buyer of this buffalo nickel realizes the coin he bought is worth 20 bucks, if not less, it’ll be to late. This really hurts this hobby a lot.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mighty cheesy for seller to try to pull this kind of carp.Over $700 second time? Unbelievable.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

The more I compare those pictures, the more I think an overlay of a proof coin was used. That is the only way I can think of that would give the brown and purple tinge around the devices. Look at the differences in the hairline above the eyebrows.

• Options

Well I really did em a favor if the coin sticks this time around.
    Maybe if it goes a third time it will go over a grand!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    $765.85 final prioce........

Just wish that @BUFFNIX had sent coin to PCGS for Express grading with True View. Still would have had time for a return.

OINK

Why would I have done that when the coin was destined to be detailed graded? And t was not a proof. It has environmental damage on the rims on both sides. (see black encrustation on both sides on rims and in fields close to rims.) From the obverse there are tell tell streaks that look like the remnants of an old cleaning or dipping.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

Take another look at my photos again and ask yourself if I should have sent this to pcgs as OldIndianNutKase said above
    pay special attention to the rims on the right side of the coin both sides

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:

@CaptHenway said:
    Gadzooks!

Doesn’t even look like the same coin. I agree, Gadzooks!

you're not just buying the coin you're buying the idealized image inspired by the coin

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:
    Take another look at my photos again and ask yourself if I should have sent this to pcgs as OldIndianNutKase said above
    pay special attention to the rims on the right side of the coin both sides

To me, both sets of pictures show a coin with the same amount of strike detail. However, the seller's pictures downplay the corrosion on the right-side rim while simultaneously over-emphasizing the apparent relief.

Your pictures also seem to indicate that the high points of the hair on the obverse have been burnished (the high points look more shiny than the hazy areas around them).

So my conclusion is that while the coin appears to have decent luster in the fields (in your photos), the coin probably had some environmental issues (corrosion) and it was cleaned to reduce the appearance of that. I think the cleaning involved a traditional "dip" for a longer-than-normal time, and then a light abrasive cleaning after that. Streaks like those seen vertically across the Native's face are typically evidence of a of a copper-nickel coin having a relatively long exposure to coin dip.

• Options
    edited September 22, 2021 3:10AM

My thanks to dcarr for his analysis above. Spot on I think.
    Right now I would like to be that proverbial “fly-on-the-wall” thats around when the second lucky bidder who got this
    “gem” opens his package and here comes his coin out in the open inside of old style PVC pliable 2 x 2 flip and he takes
    a good look at it!! Betcha its back in the mail that same day if he’s got the time at all. We should see this again a third time.
    Wonder if the pictures will be changed a third time thru? Over $360 the first time (me) and then well over $700 now.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

Here is another opportunity from same seller, would like to get a coin that really did look like this!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't have that 1915 in my collection even with it's full horn. Looks like someone dremel worked the rim. Probably to remove rim dings.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file