Home U.S. Coin Forum

****Official American Eagle 2021 Silver Reverse Proof Two-Coin Set Designer Edition Order Thread****

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

ordering was so bad....

I forgot to mention that I tried anew with an emptied cart and logged out.

I actually had time to log back in again and reload the cart

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

Got confirmation email

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCoins said:
    that was fun

Now that it’s over and you got your prize. 😊

• that was a grind but got one ordered 43 minutes in

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a battle. Concur better than the sneaker bot robberies of prior releases.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

edited September 13, 2021 1:02PM

@MrBear said:

And I get "An unhandled error has occurred. Error No: 000-03" EVERY time I try to place the order

That is the exact one I've received today and on another release

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • GuxiyouGuxiyou Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2021 12:52PM

Now that we are seeing the confirmation emails going out, we can move on to the next phases of the game: (1) Who gets the shipping notification first and (2) early morning club. I'm hoping this ships quickly, but recent history has definitely made me warry of that idea.

@Mgarmy said:
    Check your bank accounts…looks like I had six go through with all the crashes but looks like they are reversing charges

fill me in.

are all six getting the charges reversed? I'm still nervous about cancelling one.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2021 1:02PM

@RichR said:
    Speaking for myself...I prefer a hassle with a decent opportunity to get the coin...instead of having a ridiculously fast sellout and little or no chance.

I still consider this to be an improvement...and it gives my wife and I something to do together!

So @RichR, are you saying the end justifies the means? Personally, I found it somewhat insulting that it took over an hour of my time to place an order. US Mint apology (that we all know is coming) aside, it was an inexcusable website performance.

Tim

@MsMorrisine said:

@Mgarmy said:
    Check your bank accounts…looks like I had six go through with all the crashes but looks like they are reversing charges

fill me in.

are all six getting the charges reversed? I'm still nervous about cancelling one.

Five of them are showing reversed or in the process of

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2021 1:17PM

@pointfivezero said:

@RichR said:
    Speaking for myself...I prefer a hassle with a decent opportunity to get the coin...instead of having a ridiculously fast sellout and little or no chance.

I still consider this to be an improvement...and it gives my wife and I something to do together!

So @RichR, are you saying the end justifies the means? Personally, I found it somewhat insulting that it took over an hour of my time to place an order. US Mint apology (that we all know is coming) aside, it was an inexcusable website performance.

Tim

Totally agree. I worked a little bit with websites in my last job (though to be fair, none were for commercial transactions). If we had developed a website that handled heavy volume as poorly as the Mint's and in such a user-unfriendly way, we would've been fired.

• jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Dirt94 said:

@RMLTM79 said:

@Dirt94 said:
    For those saying that this was the worst buying experience ever, the V75 ASEs last year were about the same. With 75,000 of those and 125,000 of these, these should last a little longer than last year which I think was like 1 1/2 hours.

I scored a silver 75th and I know the site didn't completely crash like it did today. That took me 15 minutes, this took me 1.5 hours. For me this was way worse.

That was your experience. Not necessarily everyone else’s. The website did crash for me. I tried for 1 1/2 hours and never got one on opening day. Had to play the 6:30 games for days to get one.

I place multiple orders until it sells out. You are looking at it wrong. Just because you got lucky on the V75 doesn't translate. This was FAR worse for site crashes etc as my 3 devices can attest. Normally, I can get 4 or 5 orders even in a 15 minute sell out. _It took me 90 minutes to get those same orders placed today despite being on an ultrafast industrial server. _Because I'm placing multiple orders, even if the first one gets through fast I get to see all the chaos.

@jmlanzaf What do you consider an "ultrafast industrial server"? Follow up - how do you think that it changes your chances of placing an order?

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago, Rob41281

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jshaulis said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Dirt94 said:

@RMLTM79 said:

@Dirt94 said:
    For those saying that this was the worst buying experience ever, the V75 ASEs last year were about the same. With 75,000 of those and 125,000 of these, these should last a little longer than last year which I think was like 1 1/2 hours.

I scored a silver 75th and I know the site didn't completely crash like it did today. That took me 15 minutes, this took me 1.5 hours. For me this was way worse.

That was your experience. Not necessarily everyone else’s. The website did crash for me. I tried for 1 1/2 hours and never got one on opening day. Had to play the 6:30 games for days to get one.

I place multiple orders until it sells out. You are looking at it wrong. Just because you got lucky on the V75 doesn't translate. This was FAR worse for site crashes etc as my 3 devices can attest. Normally, I can get 4 or 5 orders even in a 15 minute sell out. _It took me 90 minutes to get those same orders placed today despite being on an ultrafast industrial server. _Because I'm placing multiple orders, even if the first one gets through fast I get to see all the chaos.

@jmlanzaf What do you consider an "ultrafast industrsub ial server"? Follow up - how do you think that it changes your chances of placing an order?

I was at work. I don't think it changes anything when the problem is at the Mint end. I was countering, in advance, any suggestion that my side was sub optimum.

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭

@Guxiyou said:

I'm one of those that claims it was the worst experience ever. I definitely cannot claim to have been here forever, but this is definitely the worst time I've personally had. I don't know how to rate this beyond my experience, but being over an hour in and having 50k of them still remaining seems to indicate a huge problem. These aren't still around because people don't want to purchase them, but because nobody can purchase them. Consider how quickly most of the limited product offerings have sold out, it would at least indicate that many people were getting through easily enough on the prior ones.

Anyway, probably just splitting hairs. I completely agree they are always crazy

The Mint comes up with new solutions, one worse than the other.

At some level, I think the mass frustration that is caused must be purposeful as it provides heightened attention to these offerings.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2021 1:24PM

@jmlanzaf You login to your company's physical on-perm server while at work for placing mint orders? Or are you saying you were on work's network which is fast?

I would imagine your infrastructure team would be all over you like a fat kid on a cupcake if you using the actual server for anything other than business purposes.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago, Rob41281

• TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

I was able to get an order in at 1:40 east coast time.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

[You can both scream at the computer together. How nice! ]

No...I do all the screaming, while she uses her tail to confirm that she's human!

However, getting back to the original intent of my post...I found this no better or worse than trying to get hot concert or sports tickets.

• GuxiyouGuxiyou Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Someone earlier in the day said that a previous release had had a DDOS done by some hacker group (who had taken responsibility), so that is at least decently likely. That said, part of the issue may just be the HOL. When you have a ton of people all competing for a small amount of items (and if you are needing to purchase a ton of them, and need more people to do it), then the users themselves become a mini-DDOS as they they all essentially start at exactly the same time and repeatedly overwhelm the server (consider all the individuals that were using multiple browsers and machines and constantly hitting refresh). There is a tradeoff between availability and usability here that the mint has just got utterly wrong. When the HOL was dropped they needed to assume a proportional increase in resources otherwise selling the same amount of inventory with the same quality of service is not possible.

• CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

We all knew this would happen. I’m sure in the comings days we will find out just how much traffic hit the website all at the same time. Heck, even I had multiple components open (i.e. my cellphone, my iPad, my computer). I’m sure the amount of traffic placed on their server would clog up most any website.

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
    edited September 13, 2021 1:40PM

@CoinMeister said:
    We all knew this would happen. I’m sure in the comings days we will find out just how much traffic hit the website all at the same time. Heck, even I had multiple components open (i.e. my cellphone, my iPad, my computer). I’m sure the amount of traffic placed on their server would clog up most any website.

The solutions are: to get their website to better handle extreme instances where masses of users all converge on it at once, or stop creating situations with products with artificially low mintages that encourage users to all converge on your website at once.

It reminds me of the dumb old Henny Youngman joke: "I went to my doctor and flapped my arm up and down and said 'Doctor, it hurts when I do this', to which my doctor replied 'Well, then don't do that!' "

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet a unusually high number of the coin forum bought this Mint issue.....just sayin.'

I see that @Tootawl got a set.

I mean if @RickO stepped up, there's got to be several more.

edited September 13, 2021 1:50PM

@jshaulis said:
    @jmlanzaf You login to your company's physical on-perm server while at work for placing mint orders? Or are you saying you were on work's network which is fast?

I would imagine your infrastructure team would be all over you like a fat kid on a cupcake if you using the actual server for anything other than business purposes.

Academic institution. Nobody cares what I'm doing. But I was on the network.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just now received the real confirmation for my one reverse proof order.

For interest, I also just cancelled my uncirculated burnished order of 3 because of the backorder till December issue. I also cancelled a gold T2 proof that did not ship within a month because no longer first strike eligible. No longer a fan of these apparently deliberately planned delays that go on for months.

@JimTyler said:

@Goldbully said:
    I bet a unusually high number of the coin forum bought this Mint issue.....just sayin.'

I see that @Tootawl got a set.

I mean if @RickO stepped up, there's got to be several more.

Maybe we bought them all and we can corner the market.

I'd expect someone with a Stooges avatar to say that, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

• Dirt94Dirt94 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

For interest, I also just cancelled my uncirculated burnished order of 3 because of the backorder till December issue. I also cancelled a gold T2 proof that did not ship within a month because no longer first strike eligible. No longer a fan of these apparently deliberately planned delays that go on for months.

Burnished Eagles shipped date changed to Sept 14th if that makes any difference for you.

@jmlanzaf said:

@jshaulis said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Dirt94 said:

@RMLTM79 said:

@Dirt94 said:

@jmlanzaf What do you consider an "ultrafast industrsub ial server"? Follow up - how do you think that it changes your chances of placing an order?

I was at work. I don't think it changes anything when the problem is at the Mint end. I was countering, in advance, any suggestion that my side was sub optimum.

I was also at work and work for a communications company that has 1 Gig service so my service was not subpar either in trying for the V75s.

• USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmation email and my credit card was charged..

edited September 13, 2021 2:23PM

@Dirt94 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jshaulis said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Dirt94 said:

@RMLTM79 said:

@Dirt94 said:

I was also at work and work for a communications company that has 1 Gig service so my service was not subpar either in trying for the V75s.

I didn't say it was.

You only have to look at the time to sell out to know that the web problems were far worse.

Confirmation email recieved

• RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭

I was able to place my order shortly after 10am Pacific time. I tried to have the coin set shipped to my friend’s shop but system crashed 3 times. At about 10:40, I changed my tactic, used the same address for billing and shipping and the order went through quickly. I checked my email and saw the notice of acknowledgment from the Mint. Mission accomplished. Not sure how long I have to wait. Hopefully this set will arrive together with my 2021 Peace silver dollars 😃

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got confirmation email.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed woohoo!

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

confirmation email received!

BUT

it was preceded by a "we cannot fulfill your order" email on the same order number

Due to the overwhelming response from our customers, Pinehurst Coins has been inundated with purchase order requests for:

American Eagle 2021 One Ounce Silver Reverse Proof Two-Coin Set Designer Edition

US Mint Item 21XJ

As a result, it may take 24hrs or more to receive a response to your email. We ask that you please be patient in allowing us time to respond, but rest assured we are still purchasing the coin set.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ADDITIONAL EMAILS IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SENT ONE, DOING SO WILL ONLY CAUSE FURTHER DELAYS.

Thank you for your continued support!

this wasn't flipper driven ... not at all...

Damn seagulls. You can tell just by the number Of just joined that have been all over the boards…they will be gone by next week

@jmlanzaf said:

@Dirt94 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jshaulis said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Dirt94 said:

@RMLTM79 said:

@Dirt94 said:

I didn't say it was.

You only have to look at the time to sell out to know that the web problems were far worse.

Not really though when you compare mintages. The V75s with a mintage of 75,000 took I think a little over 1 1/2 hrs to sellout. These with a mintage of 125,000 took about 2 1/2 hrs.

• Not that it will go anywhere, but I wrote a lengthy email and spoke to a customer service rep a few minutes ago at the US mint about creating a tiered enrollment program for regular US Mint customer purchasers (for the single purchase of each offering by enrollment). Fighting the website isn't much fun, and buying via enrollment would be so much simpler. The US Mint knows it has a problem. They offer free Loyalty shipping for repeat purchasers. Tiered enrollments would be just as easy to set up.

@Boboso5 said:
    Not that it will go anywhere, but I wrote a lengthy email and spoke to a customer service rep a few minutes ago at the US mint about creating a tiered enrollment program for regular US Mint customer purchasers (for the single purchase of each offering by enrollment). Fighting the website isn't much fun, and buying via enrollment would be so much simpler. The US Mint knows it has a problem. They offer free Loyalty shipping for repeat purchasers. Tiered enrollments would be just as easy to set up.

every flipper would qualify

someone wanting ... say an ASE Proof collection ... would be out due to the lower spend amount

The heavy hitters would be in the highest tier due to volume of purchase. Where would the cutoff be five orders of 200 bucks in the prior year gets you second tier which allows you sloppy coin seconds😂

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boboso5 said:
    Not that it will go anywhere, but I wrote a lengthy email and spoke to a customer service rep a few minutes ago at the US mint about creating a tiered enrollment program for regular US Mint customer purchasers (for the single purchase of each offering by enrollment). Fighting the website isn't much fun, and buying via enrollment would be so much simpler. The US Mint knows it has a problem. They offer free Loyalty shipping for repeat purchasers. Tiered enrollments would be just as easy to set up.

Good effort but is print it out and send snail mail to the mint director and Secretary of the Treasury. I don't think an email to customer service will ever reach a decision maker.

• @JBK said:

@Boboso5 said:

Good effort but is print it out and send snail mail to the mint director and Secretary of the Treasury. I don't think an email to customer service will ever reach a decision maker.

I think you're absolutely right - my first draft of the letter is already done. I have to tweak it some. Appreciate the suggestion to sending the correspondence to the Secretary of the Treasury. Hadn't thought of that. I was only sending it to the Mint Director. Cheers.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dirt94 said:

@Goldminers said:

Burnished Eagles shipped date changed to Sept 14th if that makes any difference for you.

Thanks for the info, but I think that tomorrow shipping date is mostly for the enrollment purchases. Mine said backorder still, but I already cancelled it and no regrets. Basically I'm just getting tired of the entire modern mess.

@Goldminers said:

@Dirt94 said:

@Goldminers said:

Thanks for the info, but I think that tomorrow shipping date is mostly for the enrollment purchases. Mine said backorder still, but I already cancelled it and no regrets. Basically I'm just getting tired of the entire modern mess.

I didn’t have enrollments and mine changed to tomorrow. But I get your frustration.

This discussion has been closed.