Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Numerous SCAM attempts ....... BST ....... Still active as of 9/1 .......

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got a PM from somebody stating their friend Teddy has a coin that I wanted that was posted in the BST forum and has an email. I wont respond to it.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same. Just got this. Annoying.

• Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received the message today for a coin I was looking for. Poster has 0 posts and is new. This is a scam!

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I sent a PM to Heather a couple days ago - can't imagine she's on the forum 24/7.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman Thank you for the heads up.
    I got a message from him saying TeddyOwens has the coin I'm looking for too.
    Guy sure has a lot of coins ...

I did not respond.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vetter said:
    I received the message today for a coin I was looking for. Poster has 0 posts and is new. This is a scam!

You should tell him to send it to you so you can examine it before you pay for it. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2021 6:05AM

@PerryHall i don't know Brett or Heather. I wouldn't ask to have the coin sent for examination first because then this scammer has your address. Although a slim chance of being robbed it could happen.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received my TEDDY this morning.
    July 31, 2021 11:32PM
    "teddy has 1980 P 50C Kennedy half dollar in MS67 for sale in good condition Here’s his email teddyowens0@gmail.com".
    Was sent from@Jeffmason01.
    Hope the Mods ban him.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

"MS67...in good condition." :o:D

• Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭

Got a pm from this scammer today, typical scammer send out enough e-mails maybe you can catch one fish
    Al

• Options

Maybe the mods could set some kind of trap to catch this guy and land him behind bars.

• Options

OK, let's make it easy...

Whatever you are looking for, I have one for sale. :p

• Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Link to the same scam from last 2 months ago and in that one is a link from the 1st scam from the beginning of the year.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1059580/might-be-a-scam-look-confirmed#latestThanks

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why don’t we spam teddy?

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    I wouldn't ask to have the coin sent for examination first because then this scammer has your address. Although a slim chance of being robbed it could happen.

I agree about not giving out your address but some here have a P O Box.

• Options

Maybe Teddy has an 1804 Silver Dollar in MS 68. I could really use one of those for my collection.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Up here we kinda hope teddies come on by. We’ll fix’em right up. The only choice is what caliber 😈

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Teddy even has a coin for me,,,,,,,
    I told Teddy to go ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2021 1:55PM

There is nothing that I hate worse than a thief,,,,,,, had Teddy ripped me off for a substantial amount of money I would purse it with his local police.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why have they not banned this jeff mason fraud?

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeffmason01 just messaged me telling me “Teddy” had some of the coins I have been looking for.

thefinn
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those of you who participate on the BST forum and have posted to this thread, why not start a thread about it over there? Or has that already been done and in need of some TTT’s?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Mark - have always assumed that people bounce back and forth between the US Coin Forum and the BST like me, but perhaps not.

Will start one to cover the bases.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@MFeld I just posted over there, but accidentally made 2 posts LOL. I guess there are 2 warnings in the BST now.

• Options

3 now with @Lakesammman post

• Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Mark - have always assumed that people bounce back and forth between the US Coin Forum and the BST like me, but perhaps not.

Will start one to cover the bases.

Tim, I’m sure some people do bounce back and forth. But it appears that at least most of the ones being targeted are those posting on the BST.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh no! I just did a deal with Teddy yesterday but I paid him with Paypal fortunately. Not Friends and Family. Same MO as others have said. Jeffmason01 sent me a PM saying Teddy had American Samoa W quarters in good condition. 😤

Gave me the same email address teddyowens0@gmail.com🙄

My heart sank as I read this thread. Guess I have to contact PayPal but he gets my money for awhile. Any suggestions from fellow members as to how I should handle this? Your helpful suggestions will be appreciated.😎

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Have you guys complained to Brett or Heather? I'm sure they'll want to get rid of this scammer.

I think they left pcgs. There was an email or something. Maybe they still are on the forums?

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    I thought I just saw Heather post this past week?

She did.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Freddie….Are you kidding!?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Oh no! I just did a deal with Teddy yesterday but I paid him with Paypal fortunately. Not Friends and Family. Same MO as others have said. Jeffmason01 sent me a PM saying Teddy had American Samoa W quarters in good condition. 😤

Gave me the same email address teddyowens0@gmail.com🙄

My heart sank as I read this thread. Guess I have to contact PayPal but he gets my money for awhile. Any suggestions from fellow members as to how I should handle this? Your helpful suggestions will be appreciated.😎

Update: I have notified PCGS Moderator and filed a scam claim with PayPal. To all members: THIS IS WHY YOU USE PAYPAL AND NOT THE FRIENDS AND FAMILY form of payment to someone you haven't dealt with before. Hoping I get my money back🤞

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Freddie….Are you kidding!?

Not kidding unfortunately. Looks like I got burned. I pride myself in not falling for these scams so I am humbled and embarrassed right now but I want others to know this is definitely a scammer.😫

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can change the names and emails but the rest is the same.
    X has Y please email Z

Seen it a number of times on here

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2021 7:18PM

Bummer.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2021 7:42PM

And I’ll add that there is another, similar “thing” that gets pulled on the BST.

As if the WTB people don’t know how to search on their own, someone will think themselves clever and send pics of coins off dealer sites, ebay, etc.

Who knows if it is a scam, but the BST people generally recognize the pics. And instead of contacting some “friend” apparently the clever persons thinks they can buy one place to sell on the BST

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

So it looks like at least two of our own got pulled in by Teddy. I guess the occasional success is why he does it.

He is likely overseas sonewhere in a country where he knows there will be no fallout due to legal, language, or other obstacles for law enforcement. This is all just an online game for him.

• Options

Update: So PayPal has initially denied my fradulent claim without ever contacting me to discuss my situation before making their decision:🙄

"An update about your case

We've completed our review of your unauthorized activity case, and we’ve determined there was no unauthorized use.

Based on our review, we found this transaction is consistent with your PayPal payment history."

I have filed an appeal and am waiting for a response from PayPal.

Also, I have now filed a dispute with my bank since PayPal denied my claim.

Also, my buddy Teddy sent me this email:

Good morning,
    I got notifications from paypal which says you said you aint aware of the money you

Please let me know what’s going on
    Anyways I already issue a refund back to your account

Unfortunately, he lied. The money has not been refunded as of now and he has not sent me a tracking number. I have not and will not respond to his email.

As you can see his email is grammatically incorrect which is a huge red flag that this guy is a scammer. Still licking my wounds over my mistake😫

I will provide updates accordingly. For now, Teddy is winning😤

• Options

Our host has not banned this person yet!!!

Jeffmason01 ✭
    About
    Username Jeffmason01 Joined March 2, 2021 10:31PM Visits 27 Last Active August 1, 2021 7:13PM Roles Members Badges 0Posts 0

• Options

Title of thread changed per request - no longer minor as I originally thought!

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Jeffmason01 ✭
    About
    Username Jeffmason01 Joined March 2, 2021 10:31PM Visits 27 Last Active August 1, 2021 7:13PM Roles Members Badges 0Posts 0

It's only 5:50 AM in California. Give the moderators a chance to get to work.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously a scammer. I did a google search of the email and he is scamming people on a Mustang forum too...
    https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/wtb-heated-and-cooled-seats.163040/#post-3324047

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Jeffmason01 ✭
    About

It's only 5:50 AM in California. Give the moderators a chance to get to work.

Look. I am posting this to alert fellow forum members that he is still an active member not to criticize the Moderator. I am well aware that PCGS is located in California and I know they are not at work yet🙄

• Options

I read where someone sent him a coin so there must be an address. Where is this scammer located?

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    I read where someone sent him a coin so there must be an address. Where is this scammer located?

He claims Louisiana but most likely somewhere out of the country🤔