Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1911-S Lincoln Cent, What Would You Grade It?

MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

First off I'm very satisfied with this coin for my latest upgrade to the one I had, that one would have made a likely G4.
But, it was sold/labeled as a higher grade than I think I would have given it!
So, just for discussion what would the seasoned forum members here give this one for a grade?

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
Thomas Jefferson!

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@asheland said:
    XF45

That was quick! :)

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

EF-40

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that the color in hand?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF40, agree. Slightly too much wear for XF45.

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited July 26, 2021 6:59PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    Is that the color in hand?

I'd say out from under the harsh light of the digital microscope it would be brown (or far more brown).

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF40.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought xf45 too

Mr_Spud

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF40 but if that is the real color it looks cleaned and retoned.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a lock at XF40.

• Options

@coinbuf said:

In your hand the color would be a more natural brown, no real shine. My little cheap digital microscope is good for detail but I wished it did better on nature color.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    XF45

Yep

• Options

@coinbuf said:

WoW! checking your links to your coins, I see you have a very nice 11-S (along with bunches of other really nice coins)

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF45

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the XF40 camp

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Xf40

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@MarkW63 said:

@coinbuf said:

WoW! checking your links to your coins, I see you have a very nice 11-S (along with bunches of other really nice coins)

Thank you for the kind complement sir. :)

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

It seems that were floating an high average of XF-40!
    I'm thinking of doing a forum giveaway, maybe I should have used the 1911-S for the contest :D
    Maybe tomorrow in the daylight I can try to get a better color picture of the coin using my digital handheld camera, sometimes I can get really good color pictures out of it, but I have to have a good bit of daylight in the light mix. But, the coin is brown.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    edited July 26, 2021 8:22PM

@MarkW63 said:

@coinbuf said:

@MarkW63 said:

@coinbuf said:

my nicest high value coin I guess would be my 55 DDO that I got from Angle Dee's, and I was pretty recent to mark it off my childhood bucket list (I'm 64 now)
    PCGS Graded AU-58

I remember when you were asking about where to find this coin, myself and another member pointed you to the Angel Dee's site for that exact coin. I'm glad that you were able to acquire it, a very fine example indeed.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    edited July 26, 2021 9:13PM

@coinbuf said:

I remember when you were asking about where to find this coin, myself and another member pointed you to the Angel Dee's site for that exact coin. I'm glad that you were able to acquire it, a very fine example indeed.

Yep! that was the coin and I couldn't remember which forum members directed to it, it worked out very well, the price was spot on the Red Book price guide too which is good these days, I've been seeing lots of Lincoln cents selling way OVER the 2021 Red Book Value, and I don't really know why?
    Just today I saw a 1936 Lincoln PF- MS-63 (Satin) sell for over $500.00 I had to ask myself is my Red Book even right??? its states that the Satin for that year in MS-63 should be $100.00
    I'm looking to get one, but not at that much of a markup.
    Thank you for the lead you gave me to the 55 DDO, its a nice addition to my Lincoln cent collection. Its the only one so far that I've not been able to bring myself to cracking it out of the slab :D

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF-40. The color does look odd but it may just be the lighting.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

What does an theoretical 1911 XF-40 ungraded go for these days?

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2021 9:14PM

@rooksmith said:
    What does an theoretical 1911 XF-40 ungraded go for these days?

$85.00, then shipped (Mailed) makes $89.00
    But, there is a little more to this story to follow, stay tuned.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkW63 "I've not been able to bring myself to cracking it out of the slab" :D

That's not a bad thing. ;)
    You can always crack it later, you can't uncrack it.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2021 9:51PM

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @MarkW63 "I've not been able to bring myself to cracking it out of the slab" :D

That's not a bad thing. ;)
    You can always crack it later, you can't uncrack it.

Very good point, that may be why I've not cracked it out yet and I just didn't know it!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options

On the subject of coin grades or companies that provides that service are some more credible than others, or maybe more reliable in their services?
    I've only personally handled seven slabbed coins, a mix of PCGS, ANACS, & NGC.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options

Here is the 11-S that was in my collection, I had self-graded it @ G-4.
    This coin is totally BROWN, so the the LED lighting built into my microscope tends to turn browns more reddish.
    I'll be passing this one along to my older brother, he has a very old Lincoln cent collection that he had going in the mid 60's but never finished it, so my extras or doubles I get or have I pass them on to him, he told me the other day that he didn't have the 11-S at all!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2021 8:13AM

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a VF coin, somewhere around 35 or so. The neck is merged with Lincolns shirt, and that merging begins at around 30.

At least that's what I think.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought, when viewing the OP, was VF35. Then, reading the ensuing posts, most of which said '40', I began to doubt my grade... so I looked back.... Nope, still think it is 35. ICBW, but that is what I see. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I decided based on some comments about "In Hand Color" ;) that it would be good to post as good of natural light pictures as I could get of it with the resources I have (older handheld digital camera). And I want to post these before I reveal what its TPG is (was)
    So everyone will get a chance to recast their judgement on the grade.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options

To help with a quicker scroll between OP images and the natural light images above I'll put the OP images here also.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkW63 said:

@coinbuf said:

@MarkW63 said:

@coinbuf said:

my nicest high value coin I guess would be my 55 DDO that I got from Angle Dee's, and I was pretty recent to mark it off my childhood bucket list (I'm 64 now)
    PCGS Graded AU-58

You may be 64, but that coin is holding steady and looking great at 58 :lol:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a textbook XF40 to me, nice coin and perfect for a circ set.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF 35. Lt. wheat stalk not sharp enough and not enough jawline separation for an XF imo.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

Okay, the comments are slowing down a bit,
    This coin had a TPG of AU-50 (I say had, because I cracked it out of the slab, so its a has been now)
    my personal grade would have been along the lines of XF (EF)!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2021 1:33PM

Compare it to this one:

1911-S 1c PCGS XF45

• Options

it looks lower than even that 45

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2021 2:01PM

@CoinHoarder said:
    Compare it to this one:

1911-S 1c PCGS XF45

I'll trade you and give you $5.00 to boot! (j/k) That's a very nice 11-S for sure.
    I have a PCGS graded XF 09SVDB and its also has better detail than the 11-S I just bought, as much of an upgrade as it is.
    Thanks for posting that picture!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    edited July 27, 2021 2:02PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    it looks lower than even that 45

I'd say his 11-S took a coin toss between the high end of XF and entry to AU!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2021 4:43PM

Im at vf 35 and I do believe that this coin has been messed with...cleaned or dipped.
    If you look closely at the devices I see color variations which leads me to believe its been messed with.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options

I dunno. lighting can make a huge difference as already seen.

anyway, this won't be crossed anytime soon.

• Options

@HalfDimeDude said:
    Im at vf 35 and I do believe that this coin has been messed with...cleaned or dipped.
    If you look closely at the devices I see color variations which leads me to believe its been messed with.

At this point anything is possible, the last pictures I took I used window lighting, no flash, so it still wasn't the best photograph of a coin, but its the best I could do at the time.
    I'm not an expert on the age rage of the different coin holders that the different companies uses to slab the coins, but its my understanding that the coin was in an older style holder.
    The coin in question isn't highly valuable, its going to fit in as a circulated upgrade to that pitiful one I had :D I don't even know where I got that one from, maybe metal detecting. The good thing here is that it was confirmed that the coin if graded again might pass a low XF grade, and that's more of what I felt it should be, I mean I saw the worn flat spots on the Wheat ears, and thought, that's not AU, now I feel good about my 55 DDO making AU-58!
    I really appreciate everyone's input and the time they took to examine my new addition to my collection!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree with the xf40 crowd. Really like you 55.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF35 to my eyes.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    Compare it to this one:

1911-S 1c PCGS XF45

Your 1911-S is exceptional! Don't sell the coin short rarity-wise. It is at the very least a semi-key, and with that pre-1916 pinpoint detailing, it is no doubt special.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    I would agree with the xf40 crowd. Really like you 55.
    Jim

Thanks for the 55 compliment, that one was a very long time coming, but worth the wait!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought a few coins from Andy and always been well satisfied. Always liked the 55 but never in a position to buy it when the opportunity arose. Congrats
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was ...just enough details to make 40. Copper can be difficult to photograph but I think the surfaces on your piece look original. Nice upgrade!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file