Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

State of World coin market, what's hot, what's not?

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 12, 2021 11:19AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

As you may know, I consigned some coins to @airplanenut, jkcoins on ebay, which ended last night. A few observations.

1. It seems the GB coin market may be picking up. I had two early 20th C NGC Maundy set sell for $300 and $350 respectively. Much higher than I was expecting. My other GB coin also did better than expected.
  2. The Australian coin market is dead, dead, dead.
  3. The Canadian coin market seems to be steady for certified coins.

I know, small sample size but that's what I saw last night.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

South Africa is certainly weak, most of it anyway. Don't know locally but definitely on eBay and US auctions. Volume of listings on Heritage has drastically declined.

Since I only buy from one area now, I don't check as much as I did and don't compare prices over time as much either.

Australia may be "dead" but presume the pre-decimal price level is still among the highest for the better scarcer coins , collectively.

• OboneObone Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

As someone who deals partially in Chinese coins, the Chinese coin market is VERY hot at the moment. Straight grade examples of provincial silver are climbing higher and higher, and there is plenty of new material at auctions.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2021 9:09AM

I've noticed medals are doing very well lately, particularly graded (slabbed) medals.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2021 9:21AM

I've listed about 400-500 world coins on ebay over the past month, and this is my perception of how things are going for raw coins.

• My Cuban stuff sold very quickly.
    • Canada is doing well, possibly better than Great Britain.
    • Australia is way far behind Canada/Great Britain.
    • Belgium and Denmark may as well not exist sometimes.
    • Japan is surprisingly slow/weak, but maybe it's my pricing.
    • Mexico has been clipping right along too.
    • Germany is about the same as it has been for years.

It is my perception that the price gap between certified and raw coins is as big (if not larger) than it has ever been with world coins. It almost feels like two separate markets.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iy looks as if any coin I want to buy is hot... Very expensive.

I've also noticed Japan is weak.
    Philippines is pretty hot as is Mexico.
    India has surprisingly slowed.
    France seems unchanged from years past.

• gscoinsgscoins Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Recent prices for British Trade Dollars are remarkable. $2000 for a PCGS 64 1911-B and $2025 for a PCGS 64 1930-B, both common dates for the series. Even MS 62s are going for close to $1000.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting question... I like the Cuban ABC Peso series. Even the Star peso series is gaining some steam. I thought India was still moving... I could be wrong but then again that market has many different components.

GB should do well as there is value in the coinage from various Monarchs.

I still like 20th century Mexico... not sure how it is faring these days

I like France... not sure how it is faring but I see some value for quality

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

edited July 12, 2021 12:30PM

I should ammend my comments on Germany, since that's my main area of focus. Prices for raw, high grade material have been off the charts this year. We are starting to see significant price increases as stuff goes above 64 where I didn't historically see it as much. My comment about Germany being business as usually is mostly for the 98-99% of Germany coins that aren't those conditional rarities. If you were to only look at the 5-10 biggest auctions per year in Germany, you'd think things were going gangbusters.

"Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Agreed, I have been buying directly from German auction houses and prices are off the charts. I have a few contacts over there and they are blaming it on the Chinese, buying up as much as they can. Not 100% sure about that but I have seen things going for 3x normal pricing at some houses.

Collecting world gold, German State silver Marks and other things of interest

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have some insights because I know what things sell for, but not necessarily what my consignors paid. That said, I've seen a lot of bidding activity on Latin American coinage (big Mexican silver seems to do very well, and a lot gets shipped to buyers in China) and nice/better Chinese stuff is super popular.

@neildrobertson said:
    I've listed about 400-500 world coins on ebay over the past month, and this is my perception of how things are going for raw coins.

Are you based in the US? I'm not sure how things work for a non-US seller, but they've made it pretty hard to get around the rules banning Cuban coinage when listing from the US.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

@airplanenut said:
    Are you based in the US? I'm not sure how things work for a non-US seller, but they've made it pretty hard to get around the rules banning Cuban coinage when listing from the US.

Yes, and I probably violated ebay's rules. Shhh! I don't think it is in violation of the US embargo, however, since everything predates the embargo.

People skirt the rules by listing coins as "Caribbean" or "Caribbean Island". I wouldn't risk doing that with any coin of value, and will probably avoid doing it again myself.

@neildrobertson said:

• Canada is doing well, possibly better than Great Britain.
    • Australia is way far behind Canada/Great Britain.
    • Belgium and Denmark may as well not exist sometimes.
    • Japan is surprisingly slow/weak, but maybe it's my pricing.
    • Mexico has been clipping right along too.
    • Germany is about the same as it has been for years.

It is my perception that the price gap between certified and raw coins is as big (if not larger) than it has ever been with world coins. It almost feels like two separate markets.

On your last statement, I'm going to make the wild guess that however much TPG acceptance has increased elsewhere, it's still bifurcated with US buyers paying higher prices far more often for TPG and those elsewhere paying noticeably less for ungraded. As to why, it's because collecting elsewhere has not been financialized (most of the time) and no, collectors elsewhere don't find the usually minimal differences between proximate grades on the holder label sufficiently interesting.

And to anticipate a response, yes I keep hearing that this is changing but the TPG counts for most coins remain low to minimal even though most coins are actually common. Most of these coins are almost certainly submitted by someone in the US too, most of the time. NCLT, China, South Africa are among the few exceptions.

@coinkat said:

I like France... not sure how it is faring but I see some value for quality

Financially, the problem with a country like France is that the aggregate supply (not any particular coin) is too large for any realistic increase in the collector base. This seems to be true for most of Europe, since most of the coins using an arbitrary cut-off date of 1815 or maybe 1775 aren't really that scarce or even quite to very common. Exceptions presumably for crowns as large coins and at least some gold. Britain is different as it's evident US collectors have a demonstrated preference for it.

@pruebas said:

India has surprisingly slowed.

How much interest is there for most of this coinage? From my limited observations, it appears to be the most for British colonial but I have no idea if the buyers are mostly local or foreign.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@neildrobertson said:

@airplanenut said:

Yes, and I probably violated ebay's rules. Shhh! I don't think it is in violation of the US embargo, however, since everything predates the embargo.

People skirt the rules by listing coins as "Caribbean" or "Caribbean Island". I wouldn't risk doing that with any coin of value, and will probably avoid doing it again myself.

I agree it's not a violation of the embargo (heck, most--all?--of the Cuban coins listed were made in the US), but it's one of the more highly enforced eBay rules. I'd actually look at it the opposite way you do... if there isn't some good benefit, I wouldn't risk it. Certainly I wouldn't risk it on a cheap coin. Years ago I sold a Cuban coin on the BST here and the buyer was told to pay with PayPal and leave no comments with the payment. He mentioned the payment was for a Cuban coin and PayPal caught it, blocked the payment, and then locked my account until I signed and faxed an "I understand the rules and will never do this again" to them. I haven't touched anything Cuban since then since it's just not worth it, even if I'm know I'm not violating anything at the legal level.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2021 8:24PM

South Africa is ok depending on what you buy.

• IKUIKU Posts: 65 ✭✭✭

"Chinese, buying up as much as they can"

• Is it because ebay China has opened, counterfeiting or why China wants old western coins ?
    • As European I have little interest buying Asian/Chinese coins wonder why they are ?
  • ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

@Tokeiski said:
    I can make a few comments as a very long time collector living in Japan. The overall market for Japanese and Chinese coins has been exceptionally strong....for the "right" coins. These would be any PCGS certified coins, followed by NGC coins. Raw coins now trade at significant discounts. Buyers here have very quickly come to understand the difference between PCGS grading standards and NGC, and as such, NGC coins trade at a significant discount to PCGS coins, typically 1/2 to 1 full grade lower. Previously, graded Japanese coins were a very small proportion of the overall market, I would say maybe 5%~10% maximum, but with the price increases, collectors have been forced to get their coins graded if they intend to sell for premium prices. Population reports are increasing fairly rapidly to reflect this change in the market.

Chinese money has been flowing HEAVILY into certain sectors of the Japanese market, basically the larger sized coins, in high grade, specifically Japanese 1 Yen in MS65 and higher, Japanese Trade Dollars of all grades, British Trade Dollars, and a few other select areas. If you look at recent auction results, some of these coins have seen 3X~5X price increases in the last 3~6 months. The problem is that the supply of these coins is extremely limited, with many of these coins having been harshly cleaned at some point. The coins were always pretty hard to find in high grade, so just a few collectors chasing the same coins has led to some fireworks and rapid price increases.

Chinese coins that had already seen big price increases continue to go up and collectors are looking for what they consider relatively cheap alternatives. Other sectors of the market have been dragged up, but to a much lesser extent. Interestingly gold coins have seen much less interest than I would have expected.

Just my view from another part of the collecting world.

Regards

Didn't the Greysheet recently compare the difference in premiums between PCGS and NGC? If I remember correctly the difference fluctuated depending on series.

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

People skirt the rules by listing coins as "Caribbean" or "Caribbean Island". I wouldn't risk doing that with any coin of value, and will probably avoid doing it again myself.>

Even if it looks likes it did not trigger a violation, in the next month or two you may get an official warning from eBay about 'embargoed goods'. Did the same thing years ago and thought using 'Caribbean' worked with no problem, then I got an official warning from ebay a month or two later warning if I do it again, my account was subject to suspension. The Cuban rule is one they do not mess around with. (Even though it clearly doesn't violate the embargo)

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

@AlanSki said:

I saw the 1972 PR 1C on eBay which I infer from the appearance was sold by the same seller as these two coins. I lived in South Africa from 1972 to 1974 which is why I used to buy it. Still have 77 NGC and PCGS coins mostly of nominal value. This includes a 1974 short proof set (excluding the gold) in PR-65 to PR-68, all but one CAM or DCAM and all but one PCGS. It's a very nice set which didn't cost much.

Generically, there is very little demand for RSA at more than nominal prices, exceptions almost always due to the TPG grade. Mostly the same for Union though the price level is much higher but still a lot lower than it used to be. As an example, Heritage recently sold a 1926 NGC MS-63 6P for $264. About 10 years ago, they sold an NGC MS-62 for $920. It's not rare but far from common in better grades, easily much scarcer (by a multiple factor) than any Mercury dime including the 16-D, comparable quality or not.

Most of the demand at higher prices is for ZAR, including by US collectors.

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

@AlanSki said:

I saw the 1972 PR 1C on eBay which I infer from the appearance was sold by the same seller as these two coins. I lived in South Africa from 1972 to 1974 which is why I used to buy it. Still have 77 NGC and PCGS coins mostly of nominal value. This includes a 1974 short proof set (excluding the gold) in PR-65 to PR-68, all but one CAM or DCAM and all but one PCGS. It's a very nice set which didn't cost much.

Generically, there is very little demand for RSA at more than nominal prices, exceptions almost always due to the TPG grade. Mostly the same for Union though the price level is much higher but still a lot lower than it used to be. As an example, Heritage recently sold a 1926 NGC MS-63 6P for $264. About 10 years ago, they sold an NGC MS-62 for $920. It's not rare but far from common in better grades, easily much scarcer (by a multiple factor) than any Mercury dime including the 16-D, comparable quality or not.

Most of the demand at higher prices is for ZAR, including by US collectors.

My 3 coins were bought raw from a different ebay seller.

@jdmern said:

People skirt the rules by listing coins as "Caribbean" or "Caribbean Island". I wouldn't risk doing that with any coin of value, and will probably avoid doing it again myself.>

Even if it looks likes it did not trigger a violation, in the next month or two you may get an official warning from eBay about 'embargoed goods'. Did the same thing years ago and thought using 'Caribbean' worked with no problem, then I got an official warning from ebay a month or two later warning if I do it again, my account was subject to suspension. The Cuban rule is one they do not mess around with. (Even though it clearly doesn't violate the embargo)

If jdmern can't catch a break on ebay, then I definitely can't.

The ebay policy in connection with pre Castro Cuban coins defies logic and history.

• desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    The ebay policy in connection with pre Castro Cuban coins defies logic and history.

Strangely enough, this doesn't appear to apply to Heritage Auctions. They currently have 60+ Cuban coins on auction, shouldn't they be bound by the same rules?

@desslok said:

@coinkat said:

Strangely enough, this doesn't appear to apply to Heritage Auctions. They currently have 60+ Cuban coins on auction, shouldn't they be bound by the same rules?

They're bound by Federal Law. However, ebay goes above and beyond what the law requires for, what I assume is, simplicitiy's sake.

I am under the impression that Cuban pre-revolutionary coinage is fair game. And considering Star Peso as well as the ABC Peso were struck in Philadelphia just highlights in part why the coinage should be fair game.

@ajaan

Did you have the Maundy coinage in a NGC multi-coin holder? I am wondering if the NGC multi coin holder is even still available. I ask because if it is the multi-coin holder and that option is no longer an option, it could partially explain the strong end result. I like the NGC multi coin holder for Maundy sets

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I am under the impression that Cuban pre-revolutionary coinage is fair game. And considering Star Peso as well as the ABC Peso were struck in Philadelphia just highlights in part why the coinage should be fair game.

@ajaan

Did you have the Maundy coinage in a NGC multi-coin holder? I am wondering if the NGC multi coin holder is even still available. I ask because if it is the multi-coin holder and that option is no longer an option, it could partially explain the strong end result. I like the NGC multi coin holder for Maundy sets

No. Four separate holders. I loved when NGC had the multi-coin holder.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

I think I submitted 5 sets to NGC back in the day when they did the multi-coin holder. I still have them- I think the oldest was 1896 and the latest was 1920

• @desslok said:

@coinkat said:

I think once they are in the states that doesn't matter. I have heard instances where imported items (say from Europe) that identify item of country of origin as Cuba have been held up at customs or even denied release to end recipient.

Collecting world gold, German State silver Marks and other things of interest

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@desslok said:

They are. eBay bans all coins from Cuba, not just ones prohibited by law.

• wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭

Simple.

What's hot: any coin I bid on.

What's not: any coin I sell, even if it was just hot.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wybrit said:
    Simple.

What's hot: any coin I bid on.

What's not: any coin I sell, even if it was just hot.

🤔

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

The reason I listed France has to do with quality of what is usually seen. Rarely do I see Louis XIII though Napoleon with the look.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Obone said:
    As someone who deals partially in Chinese coins, the Chinese coin market is VERY hot at the moment. Straight grade examples of provincial silver are climbing higher and higher, and there is plenty of new material at auctions.

If you look at the most recently graded shared orders on PCGS it’s hard to find one that isn’t Chinese.
    At least, last time I checked a few months back.

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Yannis was hot! 😊

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

The Greek post WW2 market is also hot. A new wave of collectors these past 10-11 years, started collecting exclusively, just every single gold or silver commemorative by the Bank of Greece, in euros.

Eventually, some of them turned towards uncirculated versions of modern coins of circulation between 1954 and 2000, the last drachma striking. They compete in registry sets, and even though they haven’t affected the prices of the coins from the 50s, that are indeed not so easily available in gem unc, they have skyrocketed coin prices from the 60s, 70s, 80s etc.

When I first started submitting, I was ashamed to submit anything that was not 100+ years old at the very least and I still am. Apparently not these guys.

The explanation is that the prices of quality coins in all metals from the 19th century is out of their current budgets, so they tend to ignore them. Instead, they send in for grading coins of which there are still millions in rolls, trying to get a PL designation and having created (IMHO) an artificial big spike in these modern coins. When the pop reports will start having hundreds if not thousands of each, they will see the light.

And the other category that is thriving are 1828-1911 coins in top grades or nearby. Collectors spend dozens of thousands of euros, or 2-3 figure sums for high grade moderns. And everything else in between is gone. Gone boy, gone!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

@SYRACUSIAN moderns are the future for exactly the reason you stated. Classic coins are too expensive and not available for the younger collectors.

Folks may laugh, but I collect modern patterns just as much as I collect classic ones. They are just as rare and will interest collectors years from now because they remember them from their earlier years.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    @SYRACUSIAN moderns are the future for exactly the reason you stated. Classic coins are too expensive and not available for the younger collectors.

Folks may laugh, but I collect modern patterns just as much as I collect classic ones. They are just as rare and will interest collectors years from now because they remember them from their earlier years.

Or rather they will just collect “classic” video games, iPhones and the like

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1921 dos pesos PCGS 65 nicely toned just auctioned on ebay $3850. I think a world record for a 65.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

@bidask said:
    A 1921 dos pesos PCGS 65 nicely toned just auctioned on ebay $3850. I think a world record for a 65.

I suppose toning is in the eye of the beholder, but I didn't find that one nice. And it didn't even have a full strike.
    Someone vastly overpaid.

• ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterstamps are getting a lot of interest, as are Philippine issues; by their powers combined, the Philippine countermark market is exploding. An Isabel II C/M on a Ferd VII Spain 20R brought a €19,500 bid at Vico yesterday, add 18% buyer's premium and another 18% for USD conversion, and you'll get an idea of how crazy the bidding is for rare types in that market.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I saw an Isabel II C/M on a Sombrerete 8R recently - i'll see if i can dig up the link.

• ELuisELuis Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

just recently registered on ha.com, but in many coins i liked, i can see way overpriced, on one as example, i can get it at 500usd, and a current bid is for 1800usd (Commen US Auction), no way, have not even tried any of world auctions ones.

@ChopmarkedTrades said:
    Counterstamps are getting a lot of interest, as are Philippine issues; by their powers combined, the Philippine countermark market is exploding. An Isabel II C/M on a Ferd VII Spain 20R brought a €19,500 bid at Vico yesterday, add 18% buyer's premium and another 18% for USD conversion, and you'll get an idea of how crazy the bidding is for rare types in that market.

I was bidding live and took a screenshot of that to send to someone to show the craziness!

@TwoKopeiki said:
    I think I saw an Isabel II C/M on a Sombrerete 8R recently - i'll see if i can dig up the link.

Yup, Stack's has one in their upcoming sale, ex-Gibbs. Really interesting combination. Based on the price action in the collecting area, anyone want to speculate where this one will end up?

@pruebas said:

I was bidding live and took a screenshot of that to send to someone to show the craziness!

That sale was actually my first win through a Vico auction, and I was watching through a lot of the counterstamp section. I stood tall on a second lot, but came up short; strong prices all around.

• MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2021 12:43AM

@ELuis said:
    just recently registered on ha.com, but in many coins i liked, i can see way overpriced, on one as example, i can get it at 500usd, and a current bid is for 1800usd (Commen US Auction), no way, have not even tried any of world auctions ones.

Just my own opinion:

I recently started using HA this year and I love it.

Mostly because I collect ancients and none of the coin shops near where I live have any good stuff. The stuff they do have is like G-VG copper denominations of common types.

Sure the 20% buyers premium is pretty hefty but hey they need to make a profit and the customer service is pretty good.

I had a case a few months ago where one of my winning lots seemed to take forever to ship and I contacted them and they shipped it out overnight with 1 day shipping at no charge to me.

My most recent pickup was this quadrigatus:

I think I got it at a fair price even with the 20% buyer’s premium.

Basically I bid up to 80% of what I’m willing to pay so that even with the BP I’m not paying too much.

• jimhopkins1919jimhopkins1919 Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2021 7:30PM

I just sold 25 coins via Great Collections. I cleared 30% more than I paid overall and bought them all in 2018/19. 21 sold for more than I paid for them, 3 of the 4 I lost money on were my only Papal States coins. The rest were mostly Thalers/German States coins. I’ve decided to focus only on collecting Spanish Netherland coins now outside of keeping my favorite Thalers and medals so I expect to sell a good bit more over the next few months. Seems like a good time to sell.