Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

State of World coin market, what's hot, what's not?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tokeiski said:
    I can make a few comments as a very long time collector living in Japan. The overall market for Japanese and Chinese coins has been exceptionally strong....for the "right" coins. These would be any PCGS certified coins, followed by NGC coins. Raw coins now trade at significant discounts. Buyers here have very quickly come to understand the difference between PCGS grading standards and NGC, and as such, NGC coins trade at a significant discount to PCGS coins, typically 1/2 to 1 full grade lower. Previously, graded Japanese coins were a very small proportion of the overall market, I would say maybe 5%~10% maximum, but with the price increases, collectors have been forced to get their coins graded if they intend to sell for premium prices. Population reports are increasing fairly rapidly to reflect this change in the market.

Chinese money has been flowing HEAVILY into certain sectors of the Japanese market, basically the larger sized coins, in high grade, specifically Japanese 1 Yen in MS65 and higher, Japanese Trade Dollars of all grades, British Trade Dollars, and a few other select areas. If you look at recent auction results, some of these coins have seen 3X~5X price increases in the last 3~6 months. The problem is that the supply of these coins is extremely limited, with many of these coins having been harshly cleaned at some point. The coins were always pretty hard to find in high grade, so just a few collectors chasing the same coins has led to some fireworks and rapid price increases.

Chinese coins that had already seen big price increases continue to go up and collectors are looking for what they consider relatively cheap alternatives. Other sectors of the market have been dragged up, but to a much lesser extent. Interestingly gold coins have seen much less interest than I would have expected.

Just my view from another part of the collecting world.

Regards

I started buying Japan yen in 2016. At that time no one wanted Japan Yen both on eBay and auction house so I quickly accumulated about 237 Japan Yen . Then it started getting hot in 2019 when China coin getting hot so I sold a lot. Now my collection is down to 79 Japan Yen. When I buy I tried to buy the coin not the grade. So some of the NGC coin I can crossed to PCGS which helps to sell. PCGS coin sell much better than NGC coin. NGC graded coin are only welcome for modern coins in China. older coin in NGC holder will sell for discount compare to PCGS graded both China and Japan coin.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

My most recent pickup was this quadrigatus:

I think I got it at a fair price even with the 20% buyer’s premium.

Basically I bid up to 80% of what I’m willing to pay so that even with the BP I’m not paying too much.

I like it !

@jimhopkins1919 said:
    I just sold 25 coins via Great Collections. I cleared 30% more than I paid overall and bought them all in 2018/19. 21 sold for more than I paid for them, 3 of the 4 I lost money on were my only Papal States coins. The rest were mostly Thalers/German States coins. I’ve decided to focus only on collecting Spanish Netherland coins now outside of keeping my favorite Thalers and medals so I expect to sell a good bit more over the next few months. Seems like a good time to sell.

Good strategy!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.