Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How will you dispose of your collection?

Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

How will you dispose of your collection?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arrangements have already been made - hopefully, it's many, many years from now but if I get hit by the proverbial bus tomorrow, everything goes to Heritage to be auctioned.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends ...

On my time, I will moderately disperse to friends and other collectors directly, and/or through auctions.

On unexpected time, my kids have all the names and numbers, and knowledge to at least have a fighting chance to pass them on successfully.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I control the timing, I would prefer to pass my primary collection as an inheritance. The rest, get rid of it myself. I have an inventory spreadsheet though I don't provide updated versions to my executor brother regularly.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean I can't have them buried with me??? I thought they were joking when they said you can't take it with you.

Seriously I don't collect anything that's super expensive so it's not really something I've given much thought to. The bigger issue will be what to do with all of my guns, ammo and drones.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

My plan is to get a table at a major show and just let 'em go to new homes. Given I specialize in older holders and toners in affordable price ranges, which seem to be a consistently strong market (at least in my time), I think they will do well. It'll be one of the last things I do in my working career before retirement. Imagine walking by a table with multiple cases of rattlers/OGH/fattys mostly CAC in a spread of US Type today, you'd stop and look, right? Now imagine that after 20 more years of plastic attrition.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

Important topic here that deserves some thought. Kudos to the guys that have carefully planned this out!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are 2 plans. If I go unexpectedly, there are detailed instructions and an inventory sheet.

If not, they’ll be dispersed when someone wants them more than I do. It happens already from time to time. I previously sold the biggest set I ever completed and it was enormously healthy to do so.

Perhaps, someday I’ll sell them all at once to fund some other crazy venture. Vacation house, airplane, living abroad….. who knows!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will dispose it to my heirs. They can then dispose it to the various institutions that I list in my detailed instructions for their disposal. My sons have a moderate knowledge of collectable coins-the oldest still collects on a modest scale.

• Options
    Off_Cent_erOff_Cent_er Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭

I'm taking them with me. Unless I have kids, then it's gonna be a whole National Treasure thing. They are gonna have to earn inheritance.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2021 12:29PM

I’m looking forward to pretending I’m a part time coin dealer when I retire. It’s going to be a hobby/dealer thing where I consolidate by selling off duplicates and lower value stuff while still finishing and/or upgrading just a few main sets.

I had lots of practice for about 5 years where I was buying coins to sell to pay for coins in my long term collection. I sold on eBay and Overstock and sold more coins than I bought.

But if I dropped dead tomorrow, Mrs_Spud still has enough knowledge and connections to know how to sell off my collection. She was the secretary of The Charlotte Coin Club during the years when I was selling the coins on eBay and Overstock. She also was the accountant of my coin selling. She’s 10 years younger than me so I think it should work out fine.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wizard supply or similar $5 or so

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

My daddy and I collected coins. It was our thing... then he died in a horrible house fire and his prized collection survived in his safe. My horrid evil spawn of satan sister claimed to insurance that the collection post fire was worth 250k which is reasonable. Then she claimed to have sold the entire collection in one foul swoop to a coin dealer for 70k whilst keeping over half of the collection for herself and stealing it from me basically. Let's just say the day after she aquired the collection from the sheriffs office she went and bought a safe. Then she tells me she made one trip to the dealer when in fact there 5 trips to the dealer and 10k worth of reslabbing of coins. That's a lot of coins to reslab but claiming she sold em all in one swoop then for me to find out she went 5 times. I call bull shit. So now I'm fighting the courts cause she had no right to sell them and she needs to drop dead. I'm so frustrated cause the courts do NOTHING. This happening in douglas county and denver Colorado. I got the denver da economic crime unit involved and everything I hope she rots in prison.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting subject. I've already started. I've given each of my children the best parts of my collection and let them know the value and how to dispose of if need be.
    I've sent the next portion to a dealer I trust, and I'm happy with the results.
    I sold some on the bay and anything that didn't sell I gave away.
    But as a collector I finished a circulated 7070 set, working on a 2021 Old & New silver ASE, keep some that I really enjoy.
    Those I'll give to my grand children, maybe this Christmas.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No plans at the present time. I know if the unexpected happens, my wife will dispose of the gold and silver after proper research. If I have an indication of my demise, I will provide information to help the disposition. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will sell my coins when I am no longer interested in collecting them. Should something happen suddenly, my wife and daughter know what I have, what I paid and what it is worth currently. I update it every few months. Coins are easier to move than the baseball cards. I've been selling my Nolan Ryan collection over the last year and even I was surprised with the proceeds. Much more than I expected. I did not keep my lists updated with current prices, just too many to track (about $7,500 items, many PSA graded and some raw) and many items I've had for decades.

Keep things updated and immediate family members informed and they will do fine. Of course that assumes your family knows what you spent on these things. Some families are not privy to that info. My wife and daughter know exactly what I spend on my hobby.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2021 11:14AM

Purpose of My coin business mainly finance my other hobbies. If I pass before selling it out my family knows where to liquidate it.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

All will go to my heirs.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pawn Stars

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once I retire, I'll slowly sell off along with my antiques.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 said:

You forgot an important category. Donate them to charity.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2021 12:32PM

My core collection is going with me, in a custom coffin equipped with a safety deposit box. I'll be able to spend more time with my coins than now.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s already etched in stone what happens with my collection of coins and the rest of my possessions.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2021 12:40PM

Kids, Nickolas & Alina

But (pipe-dream) if I could, I'd like to have a small coin shop at the end of Fishermen wharf in Monterey Bay...

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

My plan that I’ve discussed with my wife is to sell all my slabs at auction minus a couple for my son. My raw albums will probably pass to my son or I may break apart a few items for grading and sell them accordingly.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wife gets the ones she wants if she survives me. She can give whichever ones she feels like giving to other heirs that want them. The rest are going to my favorite person in the business to be sold.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

My kids will get them. What they do with them is their business. I would hope that they would keep them and continue collecting, but I have zero expectations regarding this. If my wife needs the funds, she has instructions to take the collection to a friend whom I trust to assist her in liquidating everything.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options

@Exbrit said:

@Eldorado9 said:

You forgot an important category. Donate them to charity.

That is indeed a category that should have been an option. I missed it.

• Options
    BadMetalBadMetal Posts: 15 ✭✭

Bury them in a treasure chest of course!

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a reminder, we can write big checks. :-)

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AMRC said:
    Just a reminder, we can write big checks. :-)

I want one of those jumbo ones they give lotto winners.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2021 4:53PM

I introduced my nephew to coin collecting early on.
    He's now an obsessed little 10 year old collector. (all small cents)

I'm sure he will keep them safe after I'm gone.
    I only have 31coins in my entire collection so they would easily all fit in a shoebox.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭✭

This topic comes up every couple of years.

I still have the map which keys to the location of 9 maps which keys to the location of where the coins are buried.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gonna sell mine before I pass on.

One of the big 4 auction houses (SB, HA, GC or Legend).

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

If all goes well, I will have sold it all for lottery tickets and a nights with a one armed bandit.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to sell my collection when I retired. I have been retired for 5 1/2 years, and still haven’t started selling them, I’m such a procrastinate! :)

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    I was going to sell my collection when I retired. I have been retired for 5 1/2 years, and still haven’t started selling them, I’m such a procrastinate! :)

I would think that retirement would be the time to REALLY enjoy them. :)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

My children have there coins set aside.

My wife has special instructions not to sell anything right away.
    If for some reason we both go at the same time my father has access to the SDB and has instructions.

Also gave her a list of snakes that would be willing to help her out 😂. You know there’s always someone willing to help out to get the goods.

• Options

Some good responses guys....I appreciate the honesty. It certainly makes me think about the topic, and having some kind of plan in place.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Set up a revocable trust. Tax advantage.
    The coins would go to the trust if you don't sell them ahead of time. Leave the trustee(s) instructions on how you think they should be sold.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure, my coin collection is kinda a rainy day find for me. For example when I graduate college and don’t find a job instantly but still need to pay loans, I may have to sell a few coins to keep up with my bills

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Option #3 if lucky
    Option #2 is the backup plan

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file