Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin went missing from submission, now says it's a coin I never owned

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey guys. This is suspicious as F. I submitted 7 coins and everything has been fine since 6/14 when it was received. #233471

I refreshed the My Account app last night. My submission went from Grading to Scheduled to Grading. So I checked the order. My 1988 $10 Platinum maple now says it's a $5 Gold 1997 Canada. I've never owned a 1997 gold maple.

I reached out to PCGS and got some canned response about a note on my account.

Why would my stuff disappear off my order and come back as different coins?

This is far beyond shady. Where is my platinum maple?

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ol' switcheroo! I'm pretty sure it will get sorted out...one day.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Make a phone call.
    And it doesn’t sound “shady” to me, but rather, like some type of error.

Agree with Mark- make a call. I am aware of a situation where two coins were inadvertently switched and sent out to the wrong owners. The sooner you call, the likelier it will be they can sort things out before shipping the coins.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a record of their acknowledgement of what you sent. Definitely make the call and keep a record of when you call and who you speak to.

Beyond just finding any 1988 $10 Maple Leaf Pt MS I'm sure you'd prefer they find the actual coin you sent. Did you take pictures of the coins before you submitted them?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    isn't a $5 gold worth more than a $10 platinum?

I have not checked but was thinking the same thing, maybe you should quit ahead.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not shady at all. Most likely a simple clerical error. Call them.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I have not checked but was thinking the same thing, maybe you should quit ahead.

nah.

just thinking of a reason why it isn't "shady."

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Thank God no one on this forum has ever made a mistake...

Good Point

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mistakes happen. Doesn't mean you have to like it though.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely make telephone contact. It can be sorted out... It is likely just a handling error. You have the data, they will fix it. Let us know when resolved. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

But the implication of the OP was that it was intentional theft as opposed to a clerical error that is easily fixed.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

It must be a mistake. Call PCGS and let us know the end result.

• Options
    WasserwerksWasserwerks Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited July 2, 2021 11:26AM

I agree, it must be an oops. Do you have copies of your original submission paperwork as well?
    Earlier this year I saw two graded German coins at an auction. Both were mislabeled. Oddly enough, both of the coins belonged in each others holders. Looks like the ID paper got switched at encapsulation.
    Best of luck to you.

Collecting world gold, German State silver Marks and other things of interest

• Options
    edited July 9, 2021 1:00AM

None of the graders determined the coin to be a $10 platinum maple.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like PCGS is saying they received a $5 Gold 1997 Canada and not a 1988 $10 Platinum maple. Two possibilities:
    You actually sent them a $5 gold 1977 instead of a 1988 $10 Platinum maple or they are wrong.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sage advice from " the crew". The new data entry clerk is freaking out now. My condolences.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Sounds like PCGS is saying they received a $5 Gold 1997 Canada and not a 1988 $10 Platinum maple. Two possibilities:
    You actually sent them a $5 gold 1977 instead of a 1988 $10 Platinum maple or they are wrong.

I've never owned either date.

Customer service gave me the run around when I called.

It is ridiculously shady that the submission was fine and in the middle of grading. Then it went back to scheduled, the coin changed, and it went back to grading.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jimnight said:

But the implication of the OP was that it was intentional theft as opposed to a clerical error that is easily fixed.

Totally normal that it would be in the middle of grading, coin disappeared, wrong coin appeared, and it went back to Grading.

This is the definition of shady.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2021 3:50PM

@coinbuf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

1988 1/4oz platinum maple is worth significantly more than a $5 gold maple.

I'm sure you guys wouldn't care if your property went missing. It was not "entered in wrong from the start". It was "right and then it was altered". This is really straightforward guys.

My submission has been a disaster from the start. First it was delayed because I wrote $135 credit on account in the notes like they said to and it takes a week to figure out.

Then it goes to grading. The app updates and my property is suddenly missing and it goes back to Grading. The graders have determined none of them to be platinum maples.

Now PCGS says the graders determined someone else's property to be mine.

I don't want it. It's not my coin. The whole reason I submitted the things is for that platinum maple. Everything else was just along for the ride. I don't want someone else's coin sent to me.

• Options

Welp, 35 business days, no response or information.

This is not a service worth thousands of dollars a year.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Illuminati

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:

Did you get a breakdown of the receiving process? I have to imagine the person receiving the shipment isn’t just transcribing what is written on the submission form into their system but actually checking the physical content of what is being entered into their system. It’s impossible to mistake a 1977 gold coin for a 1988 platinum coin. That said it is very disappointing that 35 days in you still haven’t gotten a clear and definitive answer.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't they video the opening of all packages for exactly this reason?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2021 5:22PM

Yea the very least would be to admit they are still investigating. Otherwise fess up to the mistake and move on. Not communicating with you is not a good way to resolve it. C'mon man! :D

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please keep us updated as more info becomes available.
    If PCGS does video the coins when received, it would be a quick fix. If they do not, then
    it would be a great way to prevent this from happening again in the future.
    Best of luck.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:

Just Curious...
    Did you follow the advice of @MFeld above?

@MFeld said:
    Call and ask to speak to a customer service supervisor.
    Explain the sequence of events fully, but still as briefly as possible. Let them know it appears to you that your coin somehow got switched with another from someone else’s order. Ask they they check for all platinum maples which they graded in that time frame. And as upset as you no doubt, are, be polite.

Your updates that you type here, do not appear clear to me, to understand how you are trying to resolve your issue with them. I wonder if you are this way with them on the phone?

As my Mom told me once, "Kill em' with Kindness, it'll get you further".

As much as I often would like to strangle some knumbskull for incompetency and taking up valuable oxygen on this planet, I often find that calm, cool, "Kill em' with Kindness" gets me much further along in life and I am able to resolve issues to a better satisfaction on my part (which is most important IMO).

Your issue seems simple enough (either theft or a simple mistake) and should easily be resolved based upon the evidence you provided...but as a reader, I'm dumbfounded that you are still having issues...and even more dumbfounded as to what has actually taken place up to this point and how you have tried to get this issue resolved?

BST references available on request

• Options
    edited July 31, 2021 12:04PM

@HeatherBoyd said:
    Hello @Azurescens I am sorry to see that your submission has not gone as smoothly as it should. I have shared this post with both our customer service manager and Vice President of customer experience. They will follow up with you and take whatever steps needed to get to the bottom of what is happening here.

Best,

Heather Boyd

@Azurescens You got to hand it to them...THAT's Customer Service!!!
    I'd be following up with some PM's to get phone numbers and e-mail addresses!

Good Luck!!! :)

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew a dealer who swore that a grading service "switched" a rare coin on him, something I have never heard substantiated. And with the ultra rarities they handle it would be unthinkable for anything intentional like that to happen. He spent too much time in his shop and started to believe his own uniqueness too much.

• Options

Business Day 40 of 35, still no coin.

Thank you @HeatherBoyd

• Options

@logger7 said:
    I knew a dealer who swore that a grading service "switched" a rare coin on him, something I have never heard substantiated.

There are literal pictures of the submission here. The actual paperwork you submit to PCGS and the coin before it shipped. Sometimes I wonder what reality some of you people live in.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2021 9:00PM

@HoneyMarket said:

@Azurescens said:

Just Curious...
    Did you follow the advice of @MFeld above?

Yes. They told me too bad, they left a note, graders will get around to it, and there was no one else to talk to.

@MFeld said:
    Call and ask to speak to a customer service supervisor.
    Explain the sequence of events fully, but still as briefly as possible. Let them know it appears to you that your coin somehow got switched with another from someone else’s order. Ask they they check for all platinum maples which they graded in that time frame. And as upset as you no doubt, are, be polite.

That extension of politeness ended six weeks ago.

Your updates that you type here, do not appear clear to me, to understand how you are trying to resolve your issue with them.

For real? There's a picture of the paperwork you send. A picture of the coin. Then a screenshot of the coin being changed on my submission. Is it that hard to put together?

As my Mom told me once, "Kill em' with Kindness, it'll get you further".

I ran out of that while ago.

Your issue seems simple enough (either theft or a simple mistake) and should easily be resolved based upon the evidence you provided...but as a reader, I'm dumbfounded that you are still having issues...and even more dumbfounded as to what has actually taken place up to this point and how you have tried to get this issue resolved?

So, the whole submission has been a train wreck, it's not just the missing coin.

1. Submit coins. Follow their instructions how to use my $135 account credit in the order notes.
    2. Get an email I owe $135 for them to proceed and deal with that / lose time.
    3. Few days later, submission is Scheduled according to their app. It goes to the Grading stage. No worries, all is well.
    4. The submission then gets knocked back to the Scheduled stage.
    5. Submission reappears in Grading stage. It's weird for a submission to do this, so I checked if my coins were fine. They were not.
    6. Line 5 1/4oz Platinum coin has been replaced with 1997 G$5 Maple and has now been that way for 6-7 weeks.
    7. I called, emailed, support form. I've been told to F off for weeks. I've had it.

Like really now how am I ever gonna trust them again? Its 5 business days late tomorrow and customer service has continued to be as worthless as ever. Nobody knows where my property is. CS confirmed the graders determined no coins were platinum maples, and the coin on my submission is now a 1997 G$5 Maple I never owned.

• Options

@Azurescens said:

Hello @Azurescens I am sorry to see that your submission has not gone as smoothly as it should. I have shared this post with both our customer service manager and Vice President of customer experience. They will follow up with you and take whatever steps needed to get to the bottom of what is happening here. Best, Heather Boyd

@Azurescens,
    What ever happened with Heather's response above?
    Did the Customer Service Manager and Vice President of Customer Experience ever reach out to you?

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

@Azurescens said:

Hello @Azurescens I am sorry to see that your submission has not gone as smoothly as it should. I have shared this post with both our customer service manager and Vice President of customer experience. They will follow up with you and take whatever steps needed to get to the bottom of what is happening here. Best, Heather Boyd

@Azurescens,
    What ever happened with Heather's response above?
    Did the Customer Service Manager and Vice President of Customer Experience ever reach out to you?

sounds like it's time to talk to the executive vice president of customer experience

I'm pretty sure that's Jay-Z himself since the company sold

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is crazy

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:
    What amazes me is that this thread didn't get closed by this point.

Agreed. It’s past its usefulness. Any factual follow up can be done in a different thread.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

A database slacker can do a search to find such coin and the submission it is tied to.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
This discussion has been closed.