Home U.S. Coin Forum

You think you have USPS woes when your package gets delayed? (warning: graphic images)

TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine receiving this:

Comments

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2021 10:01AM

So sorry, 2K and I was sobbing about my Bose Soundbar that I found in the yard with my dogs chewing on it today. Home all day and not a sound of delivery. At least mine appears ok. Yours is about the worst damaged delivery I have ever seen.
    Again, that is awful for you. Hopefully, at least, you will get the value even though the coin is lost.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s terrible. How was it packaged?

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh no! That’s terrible! Skidded into the coin!

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wahoo554 said:
    That’s terrible. How was it packaged?

Likely in a bubble mailer instead of a box.

The same thing happened to me on a PSA graded baseball card. It was low pop and I was very pissed at the time.

I'm very sorry to see that. Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry that happened. :/

Looks like it got caught under the drive wheel of a forklift. ;)

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2021 10:17AM

Brutal!

Just this weekend exchanged messages with an ebay seller. He sent a MS65 Morgan and in a box. He gave me the model number.

He had lost a few shipments to broken slabs in bubble mailers.

Will post info when I get back to work.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me sick just looking at that.

Horrible :'(

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happens from time to time with all the carriers. Here’s the FedEx box I got at work yesterday. Luckily this one didn’t have any glass in it.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG :'(

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is terrible. What are you going to do?

My current "Box of 20"

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

sickening

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have an explanation that will pass the straight face test... I am not sure what the next step is other than to offer sympathy for your loss. And in making that comment , it reads as if there is some type of general acceptance for this type of incident...and that is not what I choose to convey. Plain and simple... this is not acceptable. period. And no excuses as well as any excuse will have even a greater challenge of failing the straight face test.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Shame on USPS!

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Very sad. Was the coin damaged?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad. Hopefully it was insured. (Yes, I know that not will not replace the coin, but it is something.)

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

SEGS will label it!

peacockcoins

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch! That hurts from here. Sorry to see that. I hope you had insurance.!
    Happened to me on these led tubes about a month ago. I just refused the package and ebay got my money back.

Poor packaging on valuable items is no excuse. Anything can be packed properly. I know you would rather have the coin, but not much you can do about it now. I hope you get the situation cleaned up and are made whole.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    SEGS will label it!

SEGS slab would have bitten the machine back and scoffed...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone. This is my brother's coin coming from an Italian auction house. The auction house is giving him a bit of a run-around in terms of who's responsible for getting USPS claim started, collecting additional paperwork / statements, etc... Hope he's made whole.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch!

I received two large crates yesterday that travelled from Windhoek, Namibia, via Istanbul, through O’Hare, then on a truck to my house. One crate had a little damage to the lid, but everything inside was fine. You’d think a parcel inside the US would have reasonable odds.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why treadmills are fatal to young children. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry this happened to you. I posted about similar postal destruction two years ago. A PCGS EF45 CAC half was crushed in the mail. Fortunately for me, the coin was miraculously undamaged. Unfortunately for me, the coin came back a PCGS EF40 CAC after regrading. I whined about PCGS and JA's poor grading consistency but realized the coin hadn't changed a bit. That's definitely not the case here. I hope the seller or auction house can reimburse you for the loss.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1020906/anyone-receive-a-coin-where-the-slab-arrives-shattered-to-pieces/p1

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeeezzzz, can I say Damn?

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread makes me realize how fortunate I am that I’ve only ever had one cracked slab ever come to me in the mail. That was a PCGS collectors club slab and they replaced it when I sent it in.

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2021 2:19PM

@seanq said:
    Happens from time to time with all the carriers. Here’s the FedEx box I got at work yesterday. Luckily this one didn’t have any glass in it.

Sean Reynolds

Just to lighten the mood here. Reminds me of the movie "Cast Away". Tom Hanks would have personally delivered that package! ;)

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the H are you getting from Nambia? Some rare wood or something?

@BryceM said:
    Ouch!

I received two large crates yesterday that travelled from Windhoek, Namibia, via Istanbul, through O’Hare, then on a truck to my house. One crate had a little damage to the lid, but everything inside was fine. You’d think a parcel inside the US would have reasonable odds.

@amwldcoin said:
    What the H are you getting from Nambia? Some rare wood or something?

@BryceM said:
    Ouch!

intriguing

I'll take a PM too

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss. :'( I hope that get full reimbursement.
    There are to many sellers that do not package their shipments well.
    I have had a few packages that were seriously damaged by the carrier.
    I have been fortunate enough to be able to return the items with a full refund by the seller.
    My most memorable damaged package was one in which I had 4 Pcgs ( all pr70's) slabbed coins placed into a large bubble envelope. The were just thrown into the envelope and not secured in any way. All the holders were cracked and chipped out. I returned them at the seller's cost. A little care would have prevented this loss. ;)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch!! ...that left a mark!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
    edited May 12, 2021 2:50PM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Thanks everyone. This is my brother's coin coming from an Italian auction house. The auction house is giving him a bit of a run-around in terms of who's responsible for getting USPS claim started, collecting additional paperwork / statements, etc... Hope he's made whole.

In case your brother has not already seen it, here are the procedures for fling an international claim with the USPS ...

Note the section titled: "Receiving Damaged International Shipments"

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your disaster. Hopefully with documents PCGS will make you whole.

The only time I sent an express with the caveat to not bend, fold, etc. it was so abused but not irreperable. It was a certified Colonial note that was an Unc epq/ppq. Fortunately the buyer was understanding and I gave him money back to get it re-holdered and make him "whole".

PCGS won’t be involved in making him whole.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am just sick seeing it. I would be sicker still receiving it that way. :'(

My condolences to your Brother.

You say USPS, and from an Italian auction house? How did they package it?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Imagine receiving this:

I vote PMD.

• HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unbelievable, but unfortunately I still prefer usps over other shippers. UPS stole coins from my package! And the driver who had a past record of issues got away scott free.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

The shipper is responsible to file a claim. The shipper declared the value for the shipment and paid the fees for insurance. Then the shipper has to compensate the buyer, regardless of the small print (by the shipper in the conditions of buying) unless the shipper detailed all shipping conditions again etc before shipping and received the buyer's acknowledgement and agreement/confirmation before shipping. The transport firm , unless the shipment is specifically insured for certain perils, will step back and only do what the contract says.
    It is said... but...

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

OH THE HUMANITY!!!! 😭😭😭

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• With a coin like that, you would definitely rather have that than the insurance money. I had one that got quite scuffed, but luckily no damage to the coin. Thanks goodness PCGS sends their stuff back in boxes

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brutal! Hope he's made whole one way or another good luck to him!

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    OUCH!

Hopefully it did more damage to the sort machine than the coin is worth. I get so sick of the USPS running non-machinable mail through sort machines when we have to pay extra for it.

I told you. Nobody cares anymore in the USPS about anything.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

@YQQ said:
    The shipper is responsible to file a claim. The shipper declared the value for the shipment and paid the fees for insurance. Then the shipper has to compensate the buyer, regardless of the small print (by the shipper in the conditions of buying) unless the shipper detailed all shipping conditions again etc before shipping and received the buyer's acknowledgement and agreement/confirmation before shipping. The transport firm , unless the shipment is specifically insured for certain perils, will step back and only do what the contract says.
    It is said... but...

I believe that you are correct - the shipper is responsible for starting the claims process at the origin.

That said, the recipient also has a duty. They need to go to a PO with the damaged package ASAP. Doing this starts the paperwork at the US-end of the transaction. It also appears to 'trigger' communication with the foreign postal administration, alerting them to the issue.
    Reference

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... That is major damage. I have had some slightly malformed boxes received, no internal damage, but nothing like that. Good luck with the resolution. Cheers, RickO

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a little Post office tale that will maybe lighten the mood.

Back when I was avidly collecting shells and even selling some at coin shows I was importing quite a bit from a seller I established a relationship with in the Philippines. Most of my shipments came in something like 2x2x3 foot sturdy boxes. They were always well packaged and they used those tiny little styrofoam balls that were blown in as padding. 1 day I opened the door to the Post Office and those little suckers where everywhere. I was like Uh-oh. I go up to the counter to get my packages. The clerk says to me....so your the one who has caused this big mess. I have to figure out how much I have to charge you! I looked at her with the most God awful look I could muster and told her yeah, and how much are you going to pay me for all the broken shells because you have mishandled my well package shipment? You could then hear a pin drop after!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file