Home U.S. Coin Forum

My newest purchase

cccoinscccoins Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 4, 2021 11:40AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I purchased an 1875 cc 25c in XF45 today! While it's a great coin, it also completed my set of Carson City mint quarters.

In celebration, I thought that I would post some images, and share some thoughts on them. Overall, the quarters are one of the toughest of the nine series of coinage minted in Carson City (10c, 20c, 25c, 50c, $1 Seated, $1 Trade, $1 Morgan, $5, $10, and $20). the only series that comes close, in my opinion, is the dimes. The 20c is a two coin series, but once you have the 1876, you can easily find the 1875.

With both the dimes and quarters, the pre-1875 issues are challenging. Both of these series contain major rarities, the unique 1873 no arrows dime and population five quarter. Even if you exclude these two rare issues, there are still many challenging coins needed to complete each series. Below is the listing of quarters from my current set.

1870 - XF40 CAC (6 in 40, 6 finer)
Purchased in 2012, and we part of my original set of 105 Carson City coins. One of my first CAC submissions, and it got the bean. Great looking in hand with original skin. One of my top ten coins in my set.

1871 - VF30 (2 in 30, 12 finer)
Purchased in 2013 as part of my original set. Nice dirt around the devices. Hard to find in any grade.

1872 - AU53 (1 in 53, 4 finer)
One of the last three coins bought for my original set in mid-2018. Shortly after, I realized that I was trying to compete at a level beyond my abilities, and a new project came along, so I began selling off about 2/3 of my collection, including my mint state 1875 to 1878 quarters.

1873 without arrows - F details (1 in F details, 4 finer (1 in NGC40, and three in PCGS Uncirculated)
Purchased in 2015 in an NGC holder. Crossed it to PCGS in early 2021. Part of my original set. An amazing rarity in U.S. Numismatics which was discovered in 1996. I knew that it existed, and as luck would have it, it found it's way to me within a couple of months.

1873 with arrows - VF25 (2 in 25, 12 finer)
Another rarity from Carson City. Nice looking surfaces. While conventional wisdom would rank the first five coins in terms or rarity, none of them is easy to find. All five are a privilege to own.

1875 - XF45 (8 in 45, 54 finer)
The last coin to complete this set. Not as difficult as the first five quarters, but definitely harder than the last three. Great looking quarter which I am proud to add to my set.

1876 - XF40 CAC (51 in 40, 403 finer)
Nice centennial year issue. Images are darker than in person, but a wholesome looking coin. First quarter that I purchased as part of my circulated set.

1877 - XF40 CAC (47 in 40, 642 finer)
Nice wholesome quarter!

1878 - XF40 CAC (26 in 40, 344 finer)
Last year of issue for most minor silver Carson City coinage (10c, 25c, and 50c, 20c mintage stopped in 1876. Nice looking original quarter.

Comments

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice group, and I love your NEWP (the 75 cc)! That's a solid coin and a really good looker!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cc coins are always cool, enjoy 😊

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s an amazing set. Congrats on getting the latest one!

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a quarter guy, but that's a very nice, solid set of coins! Thanks for sharing.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the accomplishment! Are you done or will you upgrade/evolve the set. If so, which coins do you see moving out in time?

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible, well-matched set! I am awe struck as a quarter guy! Please post the 73 no arrows!

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a very nice looking and well matched set cc Quarter set! Thanks for sharing! Congratulations on the NEWP to finish it.

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cccoins... Very nice set of CC quarters, tough project. I did the CC Morgan series only. Still my favorites. Cheers, RickO

• kansasmankansasman Posts: 35 ✭✭

Great set of Carson City quarters!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are the kinds of coins I should have been after when I collected seated quarters back in the early 1980's. Instead, I wasted too much time and money on the common dates.

All glory is fleeting.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, congrats!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • cccoinscccoins Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Congrats on the accomplishment! Are you done or will you upgrade/evolve the set. If so, which coins do you see moving out in time?

Here are my thoughts on a coin by coin basis:

My goal for the set if having every coin in a PCGS XF45 CAC holder. However, I have some coins where that isn’t possible.

Here is a coin by coin breakdown:
    1870 - I like it as is, and can’t see changing it
    1871 - I could change it, but not likely
    1872 - I like it as is, and can’t see downgrading it
    1873 without arrows - make me an offer on the N40 example, and I would buy it quickly.
    1873 with arrows - I rather like the look on it, and haven’t seen a nicer example for sale in years. I would be open to a change, but the stars would have to align.
    1875 - I like it as it, irregardless of a cac sticker
    1876 - 1878 - I could easily see upgrading the P45 CAC for the right coin at the right price.

• truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Wonderful collection

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful. Congrats, dude. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • cccoinscccoins Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

@fastfreddie said:
    Incredible, well-matched set! I am awe struck as a quarter guy! Please post the 73 no arrows!

Opps... I thought it was in there. Take a look now.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones!

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice eye appealing set!

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice collection. B)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super group of originals. Well done.

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2021 2:36PM

@cccoins said:

@fastfreddie said:

Opps... I thought it was in there. Take a look now.

SWEET! What a treat for you to share this with us!

Keep me in mind when you upgrade...I'll probably have to sell off everything I own but what the heck!

Nice look despite the issues. Wonder what the back story of that coin is!

Here's a head shot of her LONG distance cousin!

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file