Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CW: "Collector finds rare 1792 half disme in junk box" Grades PCGS FR02 w/ CAC..SOLD $93k!!!!!!

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 13, 2021 5:05PM in U.S. Coin Forum

How cool is this???

Such a great story that should embolden all coin collectors out there.

Collector finds rare 1792 half disme in junk box

By Paul Gilkes , Coin World

Published: May 1, 2021, 9 AM

A junk box find purchased for less than $1 by an unidentified Washington collector searching for silver world coins is now authenticated and graded by Professional Coin Grading Service as a genuine 1792 half disme.

PCGS graded the coin before encapsulation as Fair 2, and Certified Acceptance Corp. added a green sticker on the holder for “meeting the standard for strict quality within its grade.”

PCGS has graded and encapsulated 97 submissions, with Numismatic Guaranty Corp. certifying 41 submissions.

The PCGS Price Guide values the find at $18,500, but GreatCollections President Ian Russell believes the coin will likely realize more than $25,000 when it is offered for sale in his firm’s June 13 online sale, to which the coin is consigned.

The coin was consigned to auction by Greg Marcus from Front Range Coin & Currency Ltd. in Longmont, Colorado, who purchased the coin from the collector who found it.

Marcus said in early January he was surfing a social media site on which the 1792 half disme was illustrated by the Washington collector with multiple photos and seeking opinions on what he might have.

Marcus said he reached out to the collector, who wishes to remain anonymous, after informing him he likely had a genuine 1792 half disme based on the images on his social media post. Marcus said the collector took the coin to a local dealer in Washington state and had the coin submitted to PCGS for authentication and grading.

Once the collector received his coin back from PCGS, he was contacted by Marcus about his interest in selling the coin in a private transaction. Marcus said he and the collector agreed on an undisclosed purchase price and Marcus traveled to Washington to take possession of the coin.

Marcus said he subsequently sent the coin to CAC for their review.

Article continues in link......... https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/collector-finds-rare-1792-half-disme-in-junk-box

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am never that lucky.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2021 6:17PM

This coin was originally posted on Reddit. There's another thread here about it somewhere.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice story.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:
    This coin was originally posted on Reddit. There's another thread here about it somewhere.

I didn't see it when I did my forum search. Perhaps you could post it.

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

I always love to read "discovery" stories. It's awesome to learn that rarities such as this one are still lurking in the wild. Great story, thanks for posting.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@DelawareDoons said:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1049586/a-beyond-amazing-find-from-reddit-update-back-from-pcgs-note-i-am-not-the-owner

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should be so lucky. Congrats to the owner, good eye

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@Goldbully said:

@DelawareDoons said:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1049586/a-beyond-amazing-find-from-reddit-update-back-from-pcgs-note-i-am-not-the-owner

Thank you.

Now I see why the search failed.

A beyond amazing find from Reddit: UPDATE back from PCGS (Note I am not the owner)

Nothing in the subject line to search upon.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Like Stef, I wish I could find these places now and then!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow what an amazing find and story.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just can’t believe such stuff can still be found in junk boxes. You would think that with the popularity of coin collecting the only place you’d find it is in a coin collection or display case. That’s just an amazing find 😱

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

New stuff going into those junk boxes all of the time, so you got to keep looking.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a great find. Concurrently, it's also a coin I would grade as a P-01 where maybe it would be worth even more in a "low ball" set.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    I should be so lucky. Congrats to the owner, good eye

I am sure all of us share this opinion. But it occurred to me that luck only took the customer to that junk box. Skill (or at least a strong curiosity) caused him to recognize the coin as something worth pursuing.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

:o That's an incredible find!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool. nice to have an update and follow-through to see what happened to that coin.

i've been wondering for a while. :+1:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

The bid is now $14,500 plus the juice with 41 days to go.

• Options

@golden said:
    The bid is now $14,500 plus the juice with 41 days to go.

Linky............

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/992407/1792-Flowing-Hair-Half-DimeHalf-Disme-PCGS-FR-02-CAC

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember the one that was found in the ground? Seems it was in similar condition and went at auction for less than the current bid.

• Options
    edited May 2, 2021 9:50PM

This may have been the dirt find half disme I recalled. Went for $11,500.00 in a 2014 Stack's Auction. "Coin World" article references obverse as Good 3 and reverse as Fair 2.

https://coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/metal-detecting-1792-silver-half-dime-thrill-of-a-lifetime.html

• Options

The bid is now $18,500 plus the juice with 36 days to go.

• Options

@golden said:

Ian mentioned that he thinks it will bring $25k.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@golden said:

Ian mentioned that he thinks it will bring $25k.

Underestimated, now at $26K........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2021 2:59PM

@Goldbully said:
    With under 100 known, here is an image of the highest PCGS graded 1792 Half Disme.

MS68_Mintage: 1,500

This is the @cardinal specimen. Hopefully, he'll chime in here :)

• Options
    JimsokayJimsokay Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    With under 100 known, here is an image of the highest PCGS graded 1792 Half Disme.

I wonder what this would bring if that ugly one is already at $26,000?!?!

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Junk Box. Amazing. I should start a Junk Box of 20.
    I need to go to some of these shows or flea markets and look for some of these boxes.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no way that a super rare coin like that just happened to be in a junk or spare box. It must have been in a special collection I believe, and happened to be bought at some point without noticing what it was from an heir; widow or son/daughter.

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 11:52AM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Goldbully said:

This is the @cardinal specimen. Hopefully, he'll chime in here :)

Yes, that is the Cardinal specimen! I understand that it was sold a few years ago, at just a slight bit below $2 million!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Sure it could! I found an AU Bechtler Gold Dollar in foreign poundage. A friend of mine found a low grade 1794 starred reverse Large Cent in a dealer junk box!

@logger7 said:
    There is no way that a super rare coin like that just happened to be in a junk or spare box. It must have been in a special collection I believe, and happened to be bought at some point without noticing what it was from an heir; widow or son/daughter.

I may well have owned that 1794 Star Reverse Large Cent. When I showed it to some Large Cent “ experts” at a major coin show they were actually able to identify it back to one in a book that showed it pictured prior to some restoration.

I guess they are rare enough that most can be accounted for individually.

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine if you could piggy back on that coin and follow it through history to understand how it finally ended up where it did.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

There exists a Pawn Stars segment where a collector brings a 1792 half disme into Rick's shop. He is asking 600K for it. Pawn Stars is where I learned the correct pronunciation for "disme." Rick passed on buying the half disme. Such a tiny piece is apparently too much coin at 1/2M+ to be offering in his store.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2021 9:57PM

@mr1874 said:
    There exists a Pawn Stars segment where a collector brings a 1792 half disme into Rick's shop. He is asking 600K for it. Pawn Stars is where I learned the correct pronunciation for "disme." Rick passed on buying the half disme. Such a tiny piece is apparently too much coin at 1/2M+ to be offering in his store.

Do you know what grade was it?

At $2M, it would need to be the best 1792 Half Disme out there, the @cardinal one.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you know what grade was it?

NGC MS65

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file